or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Using iPod & iPhone Video Out: Background and In-Depth Review

Using iPod & iPhone Video Out: Background and In-Depth Review - Page 2

post #41 of 61
Two points of correction (though neither is really important to the story):

(1) The 80GB Zune absolutely has component video output capability. The new version 2.0 dock has component video jacks on the back behind a plastic panel which usually hides them, with a switch to select between composite and component video. I have the new Zune and dock, and have used the component video output. It works great.

(2) The story makes it sound like component video output is also called Extended Definition. This isn't the case. 480p is Extended Definition, and is only supported on a few iPod models. 480i (Standard Definition) via component video is available on several models, but this isn't ED.

Just FYI...
post #42 of 61
It seems there are other valid opinions regarding this issue

I'm not really interested in the battle of egos but I do think some valid issues have been raised.
Interesting or not?

http://backstage.ilounge.com/index.p...2007-av-cable/
post #43 of 61
I wish someone from Apple would just clear the air, it would take them 5 minutes and clear up a lot of confusion about the video capabilities of iPods (so a good thing.) Is there ANYONE who can contact Apple and get some clarification? That would be much more useful than all the bickering and arguing.

I am leaning toward Daniel on this one, but how can we know for sure reading from the sidelines? To us, it's still essentially a black box from which we are inferring the contents.

If the various incompatibilities are caused by new pinouts, then we should start seeing cheap 3rd party solutions sooner than later. That would settle the issue IMO.

If we don't get any such accessories, then practically speaking it doesn't matter whether there is an authentication chip or not, since either way we must buy new expensive Apple accessories. But where there's a buck to be made, there will be cheap Asian knockoffs on EBay (starting bid at only 49 cents!!)
post #44 of 61
Just to throw more wood on this fire, here's a post claiming that video-out was altered (in a good way) by the recent 1.1.3 update-

http://www.ipodtouchfans.com/forums/...ad.php?t=25964

Quote:
I bit the bullet and upgraded my Jailbroken 1.1.2 Ipod and purchased the $20 pack. And to my surprise the TV-Out finally works with regular RCA cables. I just used my old camcorder cable with 1/4" jack one side and the yellow, red, white on the other.

I plugged in the 1/4" jack into my Universal Dock and the Red cable to the Yellow jack on my TV (I'm not sure which is left and right but plugged in the remaining Yellow and White into the jacks).

Next I put in my Ipod Touch into the Dock and played a movie. Viola - works perfect off my old cable and the picture looks excellent.

If this report is true, this would disprove the theory that there is an authentication chip in the new Apple cable, right? Or maybe not, I'm so confused (especially by all the different Apple docks with similar-sounding names...)
post #45 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmedia View Post

If this report is true, this would disprove the theory that there is an authentication chip in the new Apple cable, right?

No, it wouldn't disprove the theory.

The new iPods classic and nano can output in three different modes (in increasing order of quality):

1.) Composite
2.) S-video
3.) Component

1.) and 2.) can be output simultaneously (1. requires 1 pin, 2. requires 2 pins), or 3.) can be used by itself (requires 3 pins - the 2 pins used for s-vid. and the 1 pin used for composite).

iPod touch and iPhone don't do s-video, but they do do the other modes.

iLounge has proved beyond all reasonable doubt that Daniel is wrong - the new iPod cables do have authentication chips.

Apple could have written the firmware so that the new iPods defaulted to output composite and s-video signals - this would have maintained compatibility with old docks. Instead, they require a new handshaking procedure to get the iPod to output any video of any kind.

If the story is true about 1.1.3 for touch and iPhone (they've made them default to composite video unless told otherwise by external hardware), perhaps they've made the change with the latest iPod firmware also and this ridiculous matter that never should have happened in the first place will be over.
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
post #46 of 61
Thank you, thank you, thank you! I've been looking all over for the real scoop on the video cables and docks.
My wife's getting a 6G classic for her B-day. It will be the first ipod in our house. Special thanks to the reviewer and all the posters here. This is by far the best info I've found. It cuts right through all that conspiricy theory crap out there. We just got our first hdtv so I'm happy to hear that the 6G has a higher quality video out. But I tried to convert a DVD to video and it was going to take 29 hours at 640 res vs 7 hours at 320 res with my "old" 800mhz PIII, so I guess I'll need a new computer now too! Bring on the tax rebate, I'm ready to spend it!
post #47 of 61
i've won an ipod nano 4gb 3rd generation in a raffle in our office!
it was great! Music, games , video and stuff!

so i decided to buy a component AV cable To watch videos out of my new ipod!

i plugged everything red and white on audio!
but the Video plug have three Plug! and my TV video-in only have one! the yellow one!

i've tried the three colored plugs on my TV! but none seems to work!

audio was great!!!!!

video is not working at all!

i've tried the option PAL / NTSC! still the same! no video output!

my TV works fine with my DVD!

(Y, Pb, and Pr) on video and red/white audio! usb/dock connector!

did i miss something??

please help guys!!!
post #48 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by shouyouken View Post

so i decided to buy a component AV cable To watch videos out of my new ipod!

Your TV lacks component video inputs apparently. Those are the red, green blue ones. You need a composite cable (yellow for video; red and white for sound) not a component cable. Apple sells both versions.

Component has better picture quality but its only an option if the tv supports it.
post #49 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkie View Post

Your TV lacks component video inputs apparently. Those are the red, green blue ones. You need a composite cable (yellow for video; red and white for sound) not a component cable. Apple sells both versions.

Component has better picture quality but its only an option if the tv supports it.

is there any other ways of making use of my component cable??

like AV - component cable adapter or S-video cable adapter??

or anything like making an adapter myself?? if this is possible, please give instruction on how to join those three colors!!!

thank you very much!!!

more poweR!
post #50 of 61
Quote:

is there any other ways of making use of my component cable??

With a new TV.

Quote:

like AV - component cable adapter or S-video cable adapter??

or anything like making an adapter myself?? if this is possible, please give instruction on how to join those three colors!!!

None of this is possible, sorry.

You can buy component to composite converters, but these are not simple cable adaptors, they have electronics inside and therefore need power to work and are quite pricey (relative to a cable). Therefore it's not a sensible option as you might as well just spend much less on the new cable.

In summary, the options you have are:

1.) Buy a new T.V. with component inputs
2.) Buy a composite cable.
post #51 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

With a new TV.

None of this is possible, sorry.

You can buy component to composite converters, but these are not simple cable adaptors, they have electronics inside and therefore need power to work and are quite pricey (relative to a cable). Therefore it's not a sensible option as you might as well just spend much less on the new cable.

In summary, the options you have are:

1.) Buy a new T.V. with component inputs
2.) Buy a composite cable.

3.) Go through a VCR or other piece of hardware which has component input and composite output.
post #52 of 61
thanks alot guys!!!

Component to S-video is rear!!

i searched the net and found a hardware that converts Component signal to s-video signal!

it's a 9-volt hardware and pretty expensive for a converter! it cost around 160dollars! wow!!!

do you guys have a circuit diagram of this converter??

i will try to build it myself!

my last option would trading or selling this component cable! the cheapest way i guess!!

thanks for the advice guys!!!

more power!!!
post #53 of 61
Quote:

do you guys have a circuit diagram of this converter??

i will try to build it myself!

Why?

Just buy the composite cable; it's not that expensive and guaranteed to work. Also, how many hours will it take you to research and build a converter yourself? Building a converter yourself rather than buying a cheap cable only makes sense if you don't value your time at all.

P.S. Please stop the excessive use of question and punctuation marks.
post #54 of 61
I am trying to get a corporate video ready for Exchange support on the iPhone v2.0. Does the video out mirror the display of the iPhone or does it only send out proper video and picture files from the select apps?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #55 of 61
i have just come accross the video out in depth review,

i quote "The iPhone and Touch don't generate an S-Video signal at all, but use the same pin outputs for composite and component video signals."

and seeing the diagram of the old ipod dock, routing composite video signals to the"line out"(which i thought was purely audio) part of the dock

is it right for me to assume that this dock will work with the iphone video out with a 3.5mm handy cam composite video cable rca jack? thanks
post #56 of 61
These seem to have come out in the last couple of months:
http://www.sourcingmap.com/rca-cable...o-p-20096.html
http://www.sourcingmap.com/rca-cable...o-p-20113.html
http://www.techng.com/SNY-AV3USB-Com...B001CD9LBI.htm

Anyone have experience with them?

Update: I just got a message from Sourcing Map that this one below DOES NOT work with iPOD Classic, iPhone or Touch. I've ordered the other one - will post.
http://www.sourcingmap.com/rca-cable...o-p-20096.html

Update: I got the " RCA AV Cable with Color Display for iPod Classic Nano Video Photo" from Sourcingmap - it works!! However, there is a bug or a problem - I'm not sure if this is due to the cable of the iPod Classic. After playing a video - especially a podcast, I have to disconnect and reconnect the AV cable and only then do I get it to play another video on an external screen. Its not consistent - sometimes, I can play a few videos without any problem. I plan to buy another cable to find out if its the cable.
ANY IDEAS?
AM

AM
post #57 of 61
Hi, I wondered if anyone can help me, I know that if I buy the Component cable then I can definitely plug it into my Samsung HD TV, however, my TV is wired up to my Hifi.

I was thinking that I could occasionally unplug the cables linking my Stereo and plug in the ipod cables.

However, I'm not sure if my Stereo is too old for Component audio cables, I'm normally up on technology but I'm unsure if component cables will be compatible with old ports on my stereo.

For reference I have the Sony MHC-AG444S like this one.
I have Yellow White & Red sockets in the front.
http://cgi.ebay.es/SONY-HI-FI-MHC-AG...QQcmdZViewItem
post #58 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch1984 View Post

Hi, I wondered if anyone can help me, I know that if I buy the Component cable then I can definitely plug it into my Samsung HD TV, however, my TV is wired up to my Hifi.

I was thinking that I could occasionally unplug the cables linking my Stereo and plug in the ipod cables.

However, I'm not sure if my Stereo is too old for Component audio cables, I'm normally up on technology but I'm unsure if component cables will be compatible with old ports on my stereo.

Your question is confusing
Okay... so let me GUESS how you are setup.

You have a TV. When you want louder/better sound you turn on your HiFi.
ie: Your Hifi provides the sound for your TV. Nothing else. The TV works with all your stuff while the Hifi is off.
Is that right?

Also - does your DVD sound go into the TV, then the TV's sound into the stereo? Or do you plug the DVD picture into the TV and the DVD sound into the Amp?

---
Now - there's no such thing as component audio cables. Component is for video and it has 3 cables. The iPod/iPhone's audio is your normal left/right stereo.

So - next question
1) does your TV have any inputs left?
2) if so what are they?

Lots more questions but better start here.
post #59 of 61
My initial problem is solved, basically there are 5 cables on the Component audio cable. Two are the audio ones, I was wondering whether they would connect to my stereo or if I needed a more modern stereo.

Anyway, I've purchased the cable now and found that they work fine connected to my stereo.

However, now I have a new problem, I have plugged the remaining 3 leads into my Samsung LE37R8 HDTV.

On my iPhone I've plugged the cable into the doc connector, but I have sound and no video.

I've searched around and people seem to be having similar problems.
Is it a bug in the iPhone Software
Is my TV not compatible
or is there a setting on my TV I need to change.
post #60 of 61
Maybe a software setting?.
Could be the type of component (YUV or RGB) is different between the iPhone and the TV (so changing on either would fix that)

Sorry, don't know.
I'd go to the Apple support/discussions website.
post #61 of 61

Hi, I have read an article that says you have to plug the "Red into the Yellow, the Yellow into the White and the White into the Red" sockets on your TV. Hope this helps.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Using iPod & iPhone Video Out: Background and In-Depth Review