10 Things Accomplished by the Invasion
1) Disarm Saddam.
2) Prevent the possibility of Israel launching a pre-emptive strike and triggering a much larger war.
3) Secure the oil and assure the flow, the supplies and the deliveries.
4) Prevent futures market nervousness which could have driven prices above $200/bbl as was OBL's goal.
5) Stop Saddam's brutal reign and subjection of his people.
6) Halt any existing, planned or possible future terrorist activities (training, harboring, transiting, equipping) unilaterally or in concert with others (OBL or etc.)
7) Prevent the Iranians from annexing Iraq.
8) Plant the seeds of freedom so that future generations will be willing and able to fight for their freedom against those would-be dictators or Islamists who might try to enslave them and so we in the USA will not have to fight for their freedom as we are today. They will do all the future fighting.
9) Instead of people around the world wanting to come to America to experience freedom, they will be able to enjoy freedom in their own land and culture and our immigration backlogs won't be increased even more than they are.
10) Fighting the essence of Islamism at it's HEART. Not at it's fringes on a wild ghost chase.
Originally Posted by jimmac
Really quite delusional aren't you?
Or maybe just full of yourself?
Let's just take number 2 for example. It's their country and their oil. Don't they have the right to sell or not sell to anyone they choose? It seems to me that choice has been taken out of the equation.
As to the rest of your reasoning it also is entirely subjectve.
Psst.! I just couldn't resist so I thoght we should look at number 1. When we found out that we were wrong about Saddam's WMD we should have stopped right there. Moreover we shouldn't have invaded because there were many people pointing out beforehand that they didn't buy the WMD theory!
I say again what a crock!
I think you meant #3.
And it IS their oil. We are there like armored car guards at the bank. We help assure the transactions regarding the oil, the pumping, the pipelines, the storage, the loading onto freighters and the shipping of it to their destinations and the lawful financial transactions and remuneration of the legal parties is unaffected by ANYONE who might benefit from the destruction, detour or disruption of the oil or revenues.
And not only because we represent good and right in this world, but because OUR way of life depends on the world economies working as they should and a disruption in the oil would disrupt many industries and economies around the world and all economies are interconnected and interdependent.
I guess you didn't know that, huh?
So why are you here spreading your ignorance and criticizing those who have bothered to inform themselves?
To you and your brethren, using the 20/20 retrospective, revisionist spectacles, it's clear there were no WMD's.
But the decision that was facing those adults in the real world with millions of lives potentially at risk and knowing what they did and stymied by that which they didn't, the choice wasn't so easy.
That is where you show your lack of intellectual and emotional maturity.
When you have to make a decision and it involves millions of lives and you aren't 100% sure, the best thing to do is to minimize the worst possible danger.
War in Iraq was the best possible option.
Yours, to have done nothing, was the riskiest.
We did not know for sure that there were no WMD's.
But if there were WMD's they would have been aimed at Israel.
Israel would not stand still while an existential threat was a few seconds missile flight time away.
They needed 100% certainty that there were no WMD's.
The inspections were being stopped, delayed and played games with by Saddam because he needed to preserve the appearance that he had WMD's to keep his enemies at bay.
But that meant Israel was less than 100% certain of their safety.
Their only choice would have been to launch a first strike, seemingly unprovoked, attack on Iraq which would have triggered a global fatwa and probably required the US involvement and possibly lead to a nuclear exchange.
GWB prevented that.
You should thank him.