or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Apple Hardware › Guitar Hero 3, Macbook, Problems

Guitar Hero 3, Macbook, Problems

post #1 of 4
My college attending daughter has a Macbook, 2.16ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB Ram, 667 Mhz. She just purchased Guitar Hero 3 from the Apple store and it seems to be having some "lagging"/timing problems running at regular speed. If she run it in practice mode it rum okay. I have researched this a bit on line and have seen different opinions. They range from "it works great on my Macbook to "don't buy it if you are going to use it on a Macbook.

So I am asking my friends here at AppleInsider if you have any kind, friendly and useful advice. She may have to try and return it or ebay it if there isn't a way to make it work.

Thank you for your help and Merry Christmas!!
post #2 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by woofer View Post

My college attending daughter has a Macbook, 2.16ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB Ram, 667 Mhz. She just purchased Guitar Hero 3 from the Apple store and it seems to be having some "lagging"/timing problems running at regular speed. If she run it in practice mode it rum okay. I have researched this a bit on line and have seen different opinions. They range from "it works great on my Macbook to "don't buy it if you are going to use it on a Macbook.

So I am asking my friends here at AppleInsider if you have any kind, friendly and useful advice. She may have to try and return it or ebay it if there isn't a way to make it work.

Thank you for your help and Merry Christmas!!

Well, here's the thing...

That fact that you bought a Macbook is why it isn't working. Now, that doesn't mean that it will never work. It seems, based on the information that you have given me, that you purchased one of the older releases of the Macbook. Now, the macbook that you purchased has only 64 megabytes of integrated video memory, and, to make a long explanation short, that means that the capability is hugely limited.

You may be in luck if you return the machine and purchase one of the newer macbooks. They will have the option to have a 2.2 GHz and a 2.4 GHz processor. Get the 2.4 and they all come with 144 megabytes of video memory which is still integrated, but it uses a different chipset, so it has been improved upon.

I would say that you may have better luck if you go ahead and purchase an iMac instead. Get one of the middle versions. They have more power and have more bang for the buck and you can make them into a good machine for the price.
post #3 of 4
Guitar Hero 3 for Mac/PC states on the box that "Intel integrated video chipsets are not supported". Unfortunately, your daughter is out of luck.
Apple Product Professional
Apple Certified Macintosh Technician
Apple Product Professional
Apple Certified Macintosh Technician
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karelia View Post

Guitar Hero 3 for Mac/PC states on the box that "Intel integrated video chipsets are not supported". Unfortunately, your daughter is out of luck.

Like I was saying, you'll want to check into trading that Macbook in for some credit and look into an iMac. If you want power at an affordable price. I know that she would lose the mobility, but that may force to be in her dorm room more often, you know, doing her class work. Everything has an upside don't you think.

Good Luck.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Apple Hardware › Guitar Hero 3, Macbook, Problems