or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Safari Issue - no longer adds ".com" automatically

Safari Issue - no longer adds ".com" automatically - Page 3

post #81 of 87
9secondko, I have had the same thing happen to me on two different, recently updated machines. The Tiger machine I have still works the way you remember just fine, the two Leopard machines, not so much. Both Leopard installs were archive installs.

I have discovered that OmniWeb and iCab still work the way Safari used to in Tiger, which is a bit odd as they both use WebKit now, I believe.

These Macs are all on the same wireless network (using Airport), exhibiting different behavior based on operating system version (when using Safari).
post #82 of 87
Hi,

I know this is an old post, but I recently ran over the same issue that you, I know what you are talking about and I'm not going to suggest opendns, add bookmarks, saved history, etc etc etc.

Something happens ever once in a while that Safari goes awry and stops adding the .com at the end, in my case it only added http:// at the beginning and / at the end, so if I typed for instance hotmail I ended up having http://hotmail/ and about 30 seconds or more before the website actually loaded. It is important to mention that I am running Snow Leopard and upgraded from Leopard, so the feature for sure worked in Leopard.

Now, here's the answer to your request, go to system prefs>network>advanced>dns>dns servers and add the following:

or at least two of them.

Don't ask me why it works, I copied it from another forum and it solved the problem for me, I'm back again without having to type .com or anything else, I hope it does for you as well, post your results here please.

For all those who came up with all sorts of useless comments including the one that said you were stubborn and difficult, and the one that mentioned you were not paying attention, you just show that you are all a bunch of wannabes who pretend to know a lot about everything when in fact is obvious you are the ones who have no idea. before posting useless messages complaining about how stubborn someone is or how lazy you are not by typing the full address READ what the actual post is about and if you can't add anything meaningful then do not add anything, that way those of us who are looking for a useful answer won't waste an hour before realizing that no one has any idea of what they are talking about as I just did reading your useless comments and frustrations.

for the administrator: you can ban me already if you want, no need to wait for three personal attacks on my side. I do not plan to post or search here again as it is obvious nobody knows what they are talking about. when you delete this post, please keep the part that actually solves the problem to this guy 9secondko can fix his issue and the others can learn and post something useful next time.

good day to all.
post #83 of 87
Cabs solved the problem!!! thanks! I've had this problem show up as soon as Snow leopard was installed on a macbook and a macpro, both on snow leopard. no problems for me under leopard previously, and i loved this. So now again the .com gets added when you hit enter, everytime. I only added the first two DNS server numbers Cabs suggested. Example; type Ford in the url and hit enter. it changes to become: http://www.ford.com/
post #84 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabs View Post

Hi,

I know this is an old post, but I recently ran over the same issue that you, I know what you are talking about and I'm not going to suggest opendns, add bookmarks, saved history, etc etc etc.

Something happens ever once in a while that Safari goes awry and stops adding the .com at the end, in my case it only added http:// at the beginning and / at the end, so if I typed for instance hotmail I ended up having http://hotmail/ and about 30 seconds or more before the website actually loaded. It is important to mention that I am running Snow Leopard and upgraded from Leopard, so the feature for sure worked in Leopard.

Now, here's the answer to your request, go to system prefs>network>advanced>dns>dns servers and add the following:

or at least two of them.

Don't ask me why it works, I copied it from another forum and it solved the problem for me, I'm back again without having to type .com or anything else, I hope it does for you as well, post your results here please.

For all those who came up with all sorts of useless comments including the one that said you were stubborn and difficult, and the one that mentioned you were not paying attention, you just show that you are all a bunch of wannabes who pretend to know a lot about everything when in fact is obvious you are the ones who have no idea. before posting useless messages complaining about how stubborn someone is or how lazy you are not by typing the full address READ what the actual post is about and if you can't add anything meaningful then do not add anything, that way those of us who are looking for a useful answer won't waste an hour before realizing that no one has any idea of what they are talking about as I just did reading your useless comments and frustrations.

for the administrator: you can ban me already if you want, no need to wait for three personal attacks on my side. I do not plan to post or search here again as it is obvious nobody knows what they are talking about. when you delete this post, please keep the part that actually solves the problem to this guy 9secondko can fix his issue and the others can learn and post something useful next time.

good day to all.

It's called leveraging the search domain feature in DNS.

Under the Search Domain View just add the .com

Search Domains:

.com

Personally, I'm glad it's empty, by default. Now if I have a broad internal network of systems I could customize it to my needs and save myself some keystrokes.
post #85 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by lundy View Post

FWIW, I am running Leopard on Intel and Safari DOES add the .com to websites that are not in the AutoFill list. So the feature has *not* been removed. Or if it was removed, they put it back.

It's an ISP issue I think.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #86 of 87
I have installed safari in my pc since last 5-6 months.But I have never faced this type of problem.I think there should be other problem.I am very glade to using a safari.
post #87 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by christ11 View Post

I have installed safari in my pc since last 5-6 months.But I have never faced this type of problem.I think there should be other problem.I am very glade to using a safari.

Let me start by saying I'm new to Apple computers and I am not a computer guy at all but I fixed my IMac by doing the following:

System Preferences > Network > Deleted the search domain that was not grey scale > click apply > new grey scale search domain

Problem fixed!

By the way I am 'using DHCP'

I hope this helps
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Safari Issue - no longer adds ".com" automatically