or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › More studios reported linked to iTunes rentals; iPhone 1.1.3 leaked?

More studios reported linked to iTunes rentals; iPhone 1.1.3 leaked? - Page 2

post #41 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

It is possible that yours is, but most people's personal lives (which is primarily the market that the iPhone is currently aimed at) are not that complicated.........

Give me a break.

To Dos are a fundamental feature of iCal, Entourage, Outlook, Exchange, the Palm OS, and pretty any personal organizer ever made. They're not complicated, unless you'd call email an unnecessary complication over simple pen and paper.

Writing out To Dos as simple text notes would be more complicated and tedious for people than using a proper To Do system. You couldn't schedule reminders. You couldn't move a To Do from one day to another, or prioritize them easily. They wouldn't sync effortlessly with your desktop computer, so you wouldn't have a copy of them no matter what screen you happened to be looking at (desktop, laptop, iPhone, etc.).

Anyway, Apple thought that To Dos were important enough to add into Leopard's new Mail program, so it's not too much to ask for iPhone support as well.
post #42 of 75
YouTube video of 1.1.3 in action!
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #43 of 75
Well, that's a lot more credible, unless someone went through a WHOLE LOT of After Effects trouble.
post #44 of 75
Apple should just buy Netflix and be done with movie rentals. All the studios they'll ever need.
post #45 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by k2director View Post

Give me a break.

To Dos are a fundamental feature of iCal, Entourage, Outlook, Exchange, the Palm OS, and pretty any personal organizer ever made. They're not complicated, unless you'd call email an unnecessary complication over simple pen and paper.

Writing out To Dos as simple text notes would be more complicated and tedious for people than using a proper To Do system. You couldn't schedule reminders. You couldn't move a To Do from one day to another, or prioritize them easily. They wouldn't sync effortlessly with your desktop computer, so you wouldn't have a copy of them no matter what screen you happened to be looking at (desktop, laptop, iPhone, etc.).

Anyway, Apple thought that To Dos were important enough to add into Leopard's new Mail program, so it's not too much to ask for iPhone support as well.

Sure, go ahead, take a break.

1) If Apple had thought that to-do's were so important, why did they wait until Leopard to do (npi) it?

2) In six months of discussions that I've read here (and and in many other forums) on the iPhone, to-do's have not shown up as a must-have. Everyone has his/her list of legitimate priorities, but my guess is that Apple focuses on the important ones.

It is certainly a 'nice-to-have' feature, I am just not sure that it is must-have.
post #46 of 75
I know it is not necessary but why aren't there lyrics for songs and has anyone else experienced all too frequent crashes if you try to do certain things i.e. listening to a song and browsing in Safari?
post #47 of 75
Quote:

Sure, go ahead, take a break.

1) If Apple had thought that to-do's were so important, why did they wait until Leopard to do (npi) it?

2) In six months of discussions that I've read here (and and in many other forums) on the iPhone, to-do's have not shown up as a must-have. Everyone has his/her list of legitimate priorities, but my guess is that Apple focuses on the important ones.

It is certainly a 'nice-to-have' feature, I am just not sure that it is must-have.

1) You need to brush up on your history. To Dos have been a part of iCal since it was first introduced YEARS ago. What Leopard did recently was build iCal's To Do database into Mail, so you could create To Dos and look at them without having to go to iCal. Secondly, when Apple introduced .Mac syncing between computers (years ago), one of its launch features was the ability to sync To Dos. Thirdly, when Apple introduced iSync (again, years ago), it allowed you to sync To Dos with dozens of phones. The irony is that iSync let me (and still lets me!) sync my To Dos with a $50 Sony Ericsson T68 from four years ago, but iTunes can't sync the same To Dos with Apple's own iPhone!

2) You also need to read these forums more carefully, if you've never seen people ask for To Do support. It's frequently cited as an industry-standard feature that's missing from the iPhone.
post #48 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Apple should just buy Netflix and be done with movie rentals. All the studios they'll ever need.

Still doesn't get movies on an iPod
post #49 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by k2director View Post

2) You also need to read these forums more carefully, if you've never seen people ask for To Do support. It's frequently cited as an industry-standard feature that's missing from the iPhone.

Ah, on the subject of 'reading carefully,' a good place to start would be with what I posted: You may wish to confirm that I did not use the word 'never.'

And, if you can give me a cite/link (or two) for where it has been 'frequently cited' as a missing 'industry-standard feature,' I am happy to change my mind.
post #50 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

YouTube video of 1.1.3 in action!

what's with the shimmering of the icons? Even the bottom row shimmers??
[CENTER]Diana Rein
Putting the Soul back into Rock 'n Roll
[/CENTER]

[CENTER]"The Back Room"

Diana Rein Available on iTunes for $8[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Diana Rein
Putting the Soul back into Rock 'n Roll
[/CENTER]

[CENTER]"The Back Room"

Diana Rein Available on iTunes for $8[/CENTER]
post #51 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiMiC View Post

Based on the instructions in one of the pictures, the wiggling lets you know that you are in rearrange mode. Hitting the home button should stop the shimmering and restore normality to the home screen(s).
post #52 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

Still doesn't get movies on an iPod

Of course Apple would automagically convert the movies to iPod formats and create and Netflix area within the iTunes Store.
post #53 of 75
btw, there is a video of the 1.1.3 firmware now. still not sure if its real though...

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=512
post #54 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiMiC View Post

I don't think I'd call that shimmering, but everything seems to shake about like a bobble-head doll. I don't understand how it can be like that.
post #55 of 75
Quote:

Ah, on the subject of 'reading carefully,' a good place to start would be with what I posted: You may wish to confirm that I did not use the word 'never.'

And, if you can give me a cite/link (or two) for where it has been 'frequently cited' as a missing 'industry-standard feature,' I am happy to change my mind.

True, you did not say "never", fair enough. Sorry for that.

As for citing links, you might start with Apple's Discussion forums. In the main iPhone forum, do a search for "no task" and note the # of threads that come up.

Every single smart phone that I've ever come across (Blackberry, Palm, Microsoft Mobile, Symbian, etc), not to mention many bare-bones phones, can sync To Dos. That's why it's "industry standard". It is indeed a glaring omission that Apple's own product can't do the same...
post #56 of 75
voice dialing please......
so how do you that have a iPhone use it in a car....hands free, it takes two hands to use the phone portion doesn't it. so that being the case i need safety on my side please.
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
post #57 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The fact that there is no known Flash version for OS X on the ARM platform seems like a correct answer to me.

No, it's not. It just means that Jobs hasn't been interested. He's trying to push H.264 instead. Doesn't mean he's right.
post #58 of 75
Quote:

What is with this Netflix thing?

There is no way Apple would do that. Netflix does exactly what Apple is trying to kill.

It will never happen.

I wish you guys would thing this out more carefully. The same goes for TiVo.
post #59 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

What is with this Netflix thing?

There is no way Apple would do that. Netflix does exactly what Apple is trying to kill.

It will never happen.

I wish you guys would thing this out more carefully. The same goes for TiVo.

I think the problem is that their alternative so far has generally fallen short in terms of marketability and acceptance compared to what they're really competing against, which is those two systems.
post #60 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samnuva View Post

How would flash help? The camera is on the back, not the front.

with an sdk why cant we make an ichat for iphone or ipod touch,,, im more interested in ipod touch,,, with a dock connected video camera with a mic,, maybe swivel,,, and what la,,, video chat,, just like that,,,, why is no one doign this????
post #61 of 75
I can't believe you'd even think that video was real. Unless AT&T is about to undergo a name change to "Nate," that's just a jailbroken iPhone with a home screen editing hack switched on.
post #62 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodus View Post

I can't believe you'd even think that video was real. Unless AT&T is about to undergo a name change to "Nate," that's just a jailbroken iPhone with a home screen editing hack switched on.

What evidence do you have to support this?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #63 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I think the problem is that their alternative so far has generally fallen short in terms of marketability and acceptance compared to what they're really competing against, which is those two systems.

Apple's problems in this area are simple ones. Stop trying to make your suppliers do what you want them to do, and be more accommodating.

That will take care of the terrible lack of content on Apple's site (in video, and soon, possibly, music as well).

When they get the thousands of movies, and thousands of Tv shows, they will then have something to sell everybody.

The fact that Apple has sold a lot of movies with the paucity of content they have now, shows that their model of selling is valid.

It's just their lack of content that holds them back.

Netflix and blockbuster are business models from the past. They have tried to modernize, and have come halfway, but, in the long run, it may not be enough.

TiVo is moving away from the hardware business. The CEO said that in an interview, which I quoted several weeks ago.

This generation, and the next, will be far less tolerant of waiting for something to arrive. People are into the " I want it now, mommy" cry they supposedly lost at the end of childhood. Apple is trying to supply, no, ENCOURAGE, this way of thinking.

They may be the ones to do it. Without iPod system compatibility, other companies are going to have a Hell of a time selling into this crowd. It's one of the reasons why WalMart is thought to have failed.

BUT, they need content.
post #64 of 75
It's real guys, that Nate guy wouldn't gamble whatever rep. he has on this thing. I'd say the update will get released at MW with this stuff and other things not yet seen.
post #65 of 75
No way anyone' camera could make things look that good and bright from an iphone screen. They would have had to Photoshop the image even if it is real.

"Locate Me" sounds like Apple, but it would be more useful as a one button click on the home page ... on those nights in the weather when you want to know where you are right away.

Flash is okay, but hardly a deal killer.
The Mother of all flip-flops!!
Support our troops by educating yourself and being a responsible voter. Democracy and Capitalism REQUIRE Intelligence and Wisdom if they are to be worth a damn beyond...
The Mother of all flip-flops!!
Support our troops by educating yourself and being a responsible voter. Democracy and Capitalism REQUIRE Intelligence and Wisdom if they are to be worth a damn beyond...
post #66 of 75
Quote:

Of course Apple would automagically convert the movies to iPod formats and create and Netflix area within the iTunes Store.

Apple legally does not have the authority to do this. That's the point. This authority lies with the licensor of the movie (the studio).
post #67 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGregor View Post

No way anyone' camera could make things look that good and bright from an iphone screen. They would have had to Photoshop the image even if it is real.

"Locate Me" sounds like Apple, but it would be more useful as a one button click on the home page ... on those nights in the weather when you want to know where you are right away.

Flash is okay, but hardly a deal killer.

You can take a picture of an iPhone screen and it will look great. It's perfect for that.
post #68 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGregor

"Locate Me" sounds like Apple, but it would be more useful as a one button click on the home page

Actually it's Google, you know them?
post #69 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB6387 View Post

I know it is not necessary but why aren't there lyrics for songs and has anyone else experienced all too frequent crashes if you try to do certain things i.e. listening to a song and browsing in Safari?

As I understand it, lyrics fall under a different umbrella of rights. All those sites suppling lyrics are doing so without authorization of the copyright holder. Not that many people care, but Apple surely isn't going to add them unless they it by legal means. Though it sure would be nice to have lyrics and recording information available.

I haven't had an issue with iPhone Safari crashes since the first firmware. Version 1.1.2 is rock solid for me.
post #70 of 75
Quote:

It is possible that yours is, but most people's personal lives (which is primarily the market that the iPhone is currently aimed at) are not that complicated.........

Don't worry k2director, I'm with you. I need a dedicated task manager as well. I hope this appears in the new firmware and it is such a given that nobody bothered to mention it.
Just say no to MacMall.  They don't honor their promotions and won't respond to customer inquiries.  There are better retailers out there.
Just say no to MacMall.  They don't honor their promotions and won't respond to customer inquiries.  There are better retailers out there.
post #71 of 75
Quote:

As I understand it, lyrics fall under a different umbrella of rights. All those sites suppling lyrics are doing so without authorization of the copyright holder. Not that many people care, but Apple surely isn't going to add them unless they it by legal means. Though it sure would be nice to have lyrics and recording information available.

I haven't had an issue with iPhone Safari crashes since the first firmware. Version 1.1.2 is rock solid for me.

I thought Apple made a deal with the largest established lyrics provider. My poor memory for names doesn't bring up which company it is though.
post #72 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I thought Apple made a deal with the largest established lyrics provider. My poor memory for names doesn't bring up which company it is though.

I remember talk of negotiations with Gracenote (who supply the CD track info in iTunes), but I don't recall any agreement being announced. Is this what you are thinking about?

Perhaps something will be announced at MWSF. If so, the interesting point will be how will Apple "wow" us with the way they're presented...
post #73 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutemartin View Post

I remember talk of negotiations with Gracenote (who supply the CD track info in iTunes), but I don't recall any agreement being announced. Is this what you are thinking about?

Perhaps something will be announced at MWSF. If so, the interesting point will be how will Apple "wow" us with the way they're presented...

It could have been.
post #74 of 75
Quote:

If it is a copy right issue then why are there lyrics available in iTunes and on iPods?
post #75 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB6387 View Post

If it is a copy right issue then why are there lyrics available in iTunes and on iPods?

A blank template is provided not the actual copyrighted material. But why is album art provided but not lyrics?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › More studios reported linked to iTunes rentals; iPhone 1.1.3 leaked?