or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Prediction posts

Prediction posts - Page 2

post #41 of 154
Apple buys adobe

post #42 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by pomo View Post

New Cinema Displays will have multi-touch technology. New macbook and macbook pros will have multitouch. And, pa-para-pa! Al Imacs already have multitouch tech embeded on the glass !

One could only dream. \

... and the introduction of 10.6... so you could actually do something with all this multi-touch technology.
post #43 of 154
Some kind of upgrade to the MacBook series because Best Buy Canada and Circuit City Canada and Comp Canada is having huge $300 off sales on MacBook series.
post #44 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bat View Post

Maybe Apple could get the Nikon folks asses in gear and get the wireless transfer and broken Picture Project software fixed so I can use my Nikon P2 with Leopard.

One of the reason I think a purchase of Nikon would work is that Nikon's software sucks. And that is putting it kindly. They have excellent optical hardware and their sensors in their SLR are state of the art, but software well that is something else.

I really don't know if that sort of take over would work long term but it could put Nikon in the driver seat into the future. Plus I still believe there are opportunities to integrate real camera technology into some of Apples products. For example a touch with a good quality zoom. We aren't talking cell phone quality here either.

Of course this is more wishful thinking than a prediction on my part.

Dave
post #45 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

The BIG announcement will be the all new Mac Pro.

New Case design
*New Graphics cards. Good ones.
Secret Sauce *I'm not telling
*New Processors. Millions of configurations.

But that will be towards the end of the show after the Leopard recap.

*Update to leopard will not be a show highlight, but will happen day of the show.

More to come, but not much.

Apple is hard to predict in these times. Everything is changing.

One thing I do know.
No Laptops.

There weren't any surprises in September. I'm hoping for something major, doubt it's coming.
post #46 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

One of the reason I think a purchase of Nikon would work is that Nikon's software sucks. And that is putting it kindly. They have excellent optical hardware and their sensors in their SLR are state of the art, but software well that is something else.

I really don't know if that sort of take over would work long term but it could put Nikon in the driver seat into the future. Plus I still believe there are opportunities to integrate real camera technology into some of Apples products. For example a touch with a good quality zoom. We aren't talking cell phone quality here either.

Dave

Um. Exactly. That's why you don't use Nikon's software. I use Aperture and Photoshop. No problem. There is no need for Apple + Nikon. That's just stupid talk.
post #47 of 154
Even if un-announced i won't mind seeing the following (minor) updates too the imac line..

> Improved displays, replace the dirt cheap one used for the 20" with a reasonable one
> Drive bump, 500 gig default on 2.4 models
> E-Sata port on the back
post #48 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

Does that preclude a ultra-portable?

I'm Neutral on the Ultra Portable rumor. I'm not sure exactly what it is.
onlooker

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
onlooker

post #49 of 154
Not going out on a limb with this one, but to add to my original prediction I'm going with Cinema displays.

I think it's going to be the obvious updates.

• Mac Pro's, and Cinema Displays. The two most neglected products in the lineup.

Maybe some software, and a lot of chatter about leopard, but I just wont over commit on predictions. If you predict more than what is actually needed your just going to be let down in the end.
onlooker

onlooker

post #50 of 154
This is too easy.
1. They will go through a new Leopard update that now enables it to run all Windows programs natively.
2. License agreement to run Leopard on Dell, HP, and Lenovo products.
3. UltraPortable with built in optical drive. 1Lb, 11.3 display, 1TB of storage.
One more thing...
Announcement that the suicide rate in Redmond Washington has skyrocketed.
post #51 of 154
IMHO:

• Mouse-like device with a touch screen. The device will be the size of the iphone/iPod Touch. The screen will permit impute similar to the phone with the "buttons" at the top of the device. This will work with resolution independence (10.5.2)
  • A wireless storage device/media server. The device would manage all digital content and communicate with any "peripheral" device, a new wireless monitor, MacPro, AppleTV, iphone, A Multiple Headless Mac etc.
  • Obvious: MacPro and Cinema displays with iSight and MacBookNano with Flash Memory as discussed on numerous threads.
post #52 of 154
Quote:

New Cinema Displays will have multi-touch technology. New macbook and macbook pros will have multitouch. And, pa-para-pa! Al Imacs already have multitouch tech embeded on the glass !

One could only dream. \

I do not think we will ever see a cinema touch screen. Instead I feel that "touch" technology will be included in a new mouse-like device.

How about cinema displays with 2 iSight cameras allowing for gestures similar to Minority Report. There were several demonstrations of this a few years ago by one of our moderators while at a university in North Carolina (does anyone have a link to that video?).
post #53 of 154
Mac pro: Amazing cpu, possible move to another ram format other then fb-dimm, slightly disappointing graphics options considering the g98s nvidia will release soon.

Cinema displays (brief announcement): better specs, same resolutions, reduced price, built in iSight, nothing revolutionary.

xServer (brief announcement) : brings it up to date with mac pro, nothing revolutionary.

iPhone: demos the iphone sdk, February release date. New iPhone with 3g and more memory, delayed until at least spring or summer.

One more thing:
Some sort of sub-notebook device, possibly having multi touch. No optical drive.

New apple remote (not announced): new look and small screen. Originally, i was thinking of something like a miniature iphone but i do not think that will happen.

(day after keynote) Phenomenon: next generation of shake. Amazing features that will take advantage of new hardware.

One thing i can be sure of:
whatever happens, no matter how amazing or revolutionary, there will always be those people on this forum who are disappointed and go on a trolling rampage.
post #54 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggWSmith View Post

This is too easy.
1. They will go through a new Leopard update that now enables it to run all Windows programs natively.
3. UltraPortable with built in optical drive. 1Lb, 11.3 display, 1TB of storage.
One more thing...

No, no, no. For the last time, NO. There have to be lasers.
MacBook Pro C2D 2.4GHz and a battle-scarred PowerBook G4 1.33GHz

"When you gaze long into a dead pixel, the dead pixes gazes also into you"
MacBook Pro C2D 2.4GHz and a battle-scarred PowerBook G4 1.33GHz

"When you gaze long into a dead pixel, the dead pixes gazes also into you"
post #55 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpiddly View Post

Mac pro: Amazing cpu, possible move to another ram format other then fb-dimm, slightly disappointing graphics options considering the g98s nvidia will release soon.

Cinema displays (brief announcement): better specs, same resolutions, reduced price, built in iSight, nothing revolutionary.

xServer (brief announcement) : brings it up to date with mac pro, nothing revolutionary.

iPhone: demos the iphone sdk, February release date. New iPhone with 3g and more memory, delayed until at least spring or summer.

One more thing:
Some sort of sub-notebook device, possibly having multi touch. No optical drive.

New apple remote (not announced): new look and small screen. Originally, i was thinking of something like a miniature iphone but i do not think that will happen.

(day after keynote) Phenomenon: next generation of shake. Amazing features that will take advantage of new hardware.

One thing i can be sure of:
whatever happens, no matter how amazing or revolutionary, there will always be those people on this forum who are disappointed and go on a trolling rampage.

I think most people are going to be disappointed because everybody thinks laptops will be announced.

They are all newly updated, or mid product cycle compared to Mac Pro, and Cinema Displays.
onlooker

onlooker

post #56 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggWSmith View Post

This is too easy.
One more thing...

nope, nope and nope
post #57 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

I think most people are going to be disappointed because everybody thinks laptops will be announced.

They are all newly updated, or mid product cycle compared to Mac Pro, and Cinema Displays.

Wrong you are...at least with the MacBook Pro. The MBP was last refreshed at the beginning of June.
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
post #58 of 154
Okay, A bit of a long shot but...

Remeber when there was a bunch of talk that Apple was going to buy TIVO? Well Maybe, Just maybe... I just thought I should put that out there... You never know steve.
post #59 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerch50 View Post

IMHO:

• Mouse-like device with a touch screen. The device will be the size of the iphone/iPod Touch. The screen will permit impute similar to the phone with the "buttons" at the top of the device. This will work with resolution independence (10.5.2)
  • A wireless storage device/media server. The device would manage all digital content and communicate with any "peripheral" device, a new wireless monitor, MacPro, AppleTV, iphone, A Multiple Headless Mac etc.
  • Obvious: MacPro and Cinema displays with iSight and MacBookNano with Flash Memory as discussed on numerous threads.

I agree about the multiMouse... that may also perform other 'around the home' wireless tasks.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

post #60 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Dave

After spending 2 days at a nikon School, I can say that if it works as good on my Mac, as it did during the schooling- then Capture NX is an outstanding option. With a ton of very cool features!

Some cool features that I'd love to see in PS. I'm sure they won't show up there (because of trademarks laws and stuff like that)., but cool none the less.

Skip
post #61 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHagan4755 View Post

Wrong you are...at least with the MacBook Pro. The MBP was last refreshed at the beginning of June.

but they did give an incremental update on November 1st 2007.
post #62 of 154
Quote:

Yeah, a .2 GHZ BTO improvement. Not that much.
post #63 of 154
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samnuva View Post

Yeah, a .2 GHZ BTO improvement. Not that much.

Yeah not really what I consider even an incremental update.

I expect new MacBook Pros being announced even if it is just an upgrade to Penryn.
post #64 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB6387 View Post

I expect new MacBook Pros being announced even if it is just an upgrade to Penryn.

That's what evreyone else expects too, since Moble Penryn is out...
post #65 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samnuva View Post

Okay, A bit of a long shot but...

Remeber when there was a bunch of talk that Apple was going to buy TIVO? Well Maybe, Just maybe... I just thought I should put that out there... You never know steve.

Why would you need to record "any" TV, when you can simply download the program of your choice from iTunes? That's where we are headed, eventually. Thus leapfrogging TiVO. iTunes TV show subscription would be kick-ass. Imagine paying an amount every month, getting the ability to download a certain amount of TV shows, series and Movies all from the comfort of your couch.

Apple could offer two or three packages.

If you watch a little TV you pick the "light" package, normal amount you pick "regular" and lots you pick "pro". And you never have to set your DVR ever again.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #66 of 154
onlooker-

I doubt that the "big" news will be a new Mac Pro. I'd guess they'll save that and possibly new displays for NAB. Macworld has usually spotlighted the whiz-bang consumer-oriented big-hype stuff. You may be right though, I wouldn't put it past Steve & Jonathon to reinvent the high-end desktop. Plus, the rumors about greater Red Camera integration for FCP on the 16th could require some major horsepower. I'm really not expecting too much this time around, but I'd love to be pleasantly surprised.
"We have been taught to believe that negative equals realistic and positive equals unrealistic."
-Susan Jeffers
"We have been taught to believe that negative equals realistic and positive equals unrealistic."
-Susan Jeffers
post #67 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by wirc View Post

No, no, no. For the last time, NO. There have to be lasers.

and SHARKS
-Susan Jeffers
-Susan Jeffers
post #68 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post

onlooker-

I doubt that the "big" news will be a new Mac Pro. I'd guess they'll save that and possibly new displays for NAB. Macworld has usually spotlighted the whiz-bang consumer-oriented big-hype stuff. You may be right though, I wouldn't put it past Steve & Jonathon to reinvent the high-end desktop. Plus, the rumors about greater Red Camera integration for FCP on the 16th could require some major horsepower. I'm really not expecting too much this time around, but I'd love to be pleasantly surprised.

I disagree. The Mac Pro, and cinema displays, are almost two years old. No other product is anywhere near that old. Not within an entire years time. They will not hold off any longer.
onlooker

onlooker

post #69 of 154
Well, we have all heard about the possibility of iTunes movie rentals. I, for one, will be among the first to try this.

What about iTunes TV show rentals for $.50 (for 1 day of viewing) ?? We already DVR all of our shows as it is - this would make it more convenient. Imagine network television being able to change it's income model from an advertiser-based to consumer-based model ?? Let's remember that it's the networks that provide most of the content. I don't see this changing soon - but it could. Small companies could sprout up and survive on just one show - without all of the overhead of the large networks.

That leaves the big question - how are companies going to advertise their products ?? Besides the normal billboards, flyers, internet, etc - they are going to want a way to force us to see their pitch. Maybe they'll realize we aren't watching the commercials now and just decide to save their advertising dollars.

I have mentioned before that Apple should buy Netflix. I know that Netflix has teamed with someone else now - but it could still happen.

Imagine this - Apple playing a big part of both content AND distribution - just like the network channels - but much more progressive. Mark my words - over the next 5-10 years, things are going to be drastically different than they are now.

Phil
post #70 of 154
Quote:

One could only dream. \

Why are people so exited about this? It's a usability nightmare. If it's not hand-held, a mouse is the most ergonomic control solution. Even Microsoft's touch table requires one to crane their neck and is only designed for short periods of usage. Touch screens are great for phones and kiosks and other devices that are used for short periods of time but not so good for long term usage personal computers.
post #71 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffy_Duck View Post

Why are people so exited about this? It's a usability nightmare. If it's not hand-held, a mouse is the most ergonomic control solution. Even Microsoft's touch table requires one to crane their neck and is only designed for short periods of usage. Touch screens are great for phones and kiosks and other devices that are used for short periods of time but not so good for long term usage personal computers.

exactly.

...and the OS and all of the Apps made right now couldn't take advantage of multitouch technology anyways.
post #72 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDonG4 View Post

exactly.

...and the OS and all of the Apps made right now couldn't take advantage of multitouch technology anyways.

Then you've never used a fingerworks multitouch pad. You can IMMEDIATELY make use of such a pad if they were to release one for the mac. It is EXTREMELY superior to regular touchpads or other types of mice. With my RSI I can't use anything else really for my pc use. And didn't fingerworks have a driver for mac anyways?
We all know that its basically fingerworks tech we're talking about. The tech can easily be useful for todays apps. I should know because I'm using a fingerworks pad myself and many users plus myself were extremely angry when we heard fingerworks was mysteriously bought out by "some company".
I CAN NOT use anything else now for the pc and I know Jobs won't release pc peripherals.
I will either have to pay upwards of $500.00 or more on ebay for a used fingerworks pad (their worth their weight in gold now) or switch to mac if my original fingerworks touchpad ever dies. \
post #73 of 154
My ISP has a 500MB/day limit and then it gets crawling slow, so this would be really impractical for me as an HD movie would probably be at least 1 GB.
post #74 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

Then you've never used a fingerworks multitouch pad. You can IMMEDIATELY make use of such a pad if they were to release one for the mac. It is EXTREMELY superior to regular touchpads or other types of mice. With my RSI I can't use anything else really for my pc use. And didn't fingerworks have a driver for mac anyways?
We all know that its basically fingerworks tech we're talking about. The tech can easily be useful for todays apps. I should know because I'm using a fingerworks pad myself and many users plus myself were extremely angry when we heard fingerworks was mysteriously bought out by "some company".
I CAN NOT use anything else now for the pc and I know Jobs won't release pc peripherals.
I will either have to pay upwards of $500.00 or more on ebay for a used fingerworks pad (their worth their weight in gold now) or switch to mac if my original fingerworks touchpad ever dies. \

I've actually used one of these, and am aware of what it does. It essentially replicates keyboard shortcuts through gestural recognition. However this is more software than hardware. You are not directly inputing multiple points of interaction into the OS or any other Apps (for example the most basic example of pinch pull on the iPhone). Also it is fairly impossible to accurately manipulate onscreen information due to the physical disconnect from the touch sensitive area and the screen being in different spots. When I think multi-touch I think of the stuff Jeff Han is working on with Perceptive Pixel... not an elevated form of gesture recognition. Memorizing a whole new language of gestures doesn't have any appeal to me whatsoever.
post #75 of 154
all i want is a 16gig model of the iPhone. just one thing steve!!

what do i think will happen? (in addition to the iPhone of course)

- Penryn in Macbook Pro
- Mac Pro update
- Cinema Displays (with TV functionality??)
- iTunes Movie Rentals
- iPhone SDK announcement / demo (available february)

sounds logical, no?
post #76 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDonG4 View Post

I've actually used one of these, and am aware of what it does. It essentially replicates keyboard shortcuts through gestural recognition. However this is more software than hardware. You are not directly inputing multiple points of interaction into the OS or any other Apps (for example the most basic example of pinch pull on the iPhone). Also it is fairly impossible to accurately manipulate onscreen information due to the physical disconnect from the touch sensitive area and the screen being in different spots. When I think multi-touch I think of the stuff Jeff Han is working on with Perceptive Pixel... not an elevated form of gesture recognition. Memorizing a whole new language of gestures doesn't have any appeal to me whatsoever.

I'm not down with that either, but I don't think Apple is going to just re-release the fingerworks technology. I think it will be as different as when they got the original GUI from PARC, and then you saw a real GUI from Apple.
onlooker

onlooker

post #77 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by sthiede View Post

all i want is a 16gig model of the iPhone. just one thing steve!!

what do i think will happen? (in addition to the iPhone of course)

- Penryn in Macbook Pro
- Mac Pro update
- Cinema Displays (with TV functionality??)
- iTunes Movie Rentals
- iPhone SDK announcement / demo (available february)

sounds logical, no?

Not so bad,
I would only discard MacBook Pro. I would expect it around April at NAB.
MacPro 12 core
30" & 23" Apple Cinema HD Displays
PowerBook G4 550, MacBook Pro 2.2
Ipod 1G and 5G, Shuffle 2G, iPhone 3G
MacPro 12 core
30" & 23" Apple Cinema HD Displays
PowerBook G4 550, MacBook Pro 2.2
Ipod 1G and 5G, Shuffle 2G, iPhone 3G
post #78 of 154
Just for fun then - no flaming if I'm way off please!!

Mac Pro Case redesign
New Monitors with camera, slim with styling a la iMac

All Mac's to gain a HDMI port.

32GB iPod Touch, phasing out of 8gb

16gb 3G iPhone + SDK details

Spec update of Mac Mini to differentiate more from AppleTV, plus coloured versions along the lines of the iPod Shuffles. (Sony are doing a mini-sized VAIO HTPC which has some pretty good specs)

Leopard update.

Blu-Ray as an option across the entire Mac range, announced as Mr Jobs gives Mr Gates the finger... although I suspect any HD announcements may be held back until the whole Warner Brothers thing has settled.

Apple to announce a deal with Sony regarding streaming content from Mac's to PS3, possibility of PS3 running iTunes - you can already access iTunes store from PS3 so why not be able to purchase from it. Overall I think there will be a focus on interactivity with other devices - I think many people in the Windows world see Apple products as keeping themselves to themselves.
post #79 of 154
Let me be the first on Tuesday morning to predict that there will be NO Mac Pro updates next week.
post #80 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

Let me be the first on Tuesday morning to predict that there will be NO Mac Pro updates next week.

You were dead right. The Mac Pro update is today - not next Tuesday.
ADS
ADS
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Prediction posts