or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iPhone in Ireland

iPhone in Ireland

post #1 of 26
Has anyone any idea when the iPhone will be released in Ireland? Even a rumour will satisfy me!!!
All the best....
Insanity is hereditary...... You get it from your children!!
post #2 of 26
Might be worth asking Ireland. lol
post #3 of 26
How about it Ireland....When do you think it'll be rolled out...? a legal one now mind you!!!
post #4 of 26
Not sure about legal, but I'm in the process of jailbreaking mine on my desk right now, after a night on the booze mind you
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #5 of 26
Fair play to you Ireland I was thinking of going down that road myself but was afraid that with a future update I would end up with an iBrick!! Here's hoping that S. J. will give me more info on the 15th...all the best
post #6 of 26
Its ok to jailbreak and go down that route but then every time a new update is out with new functionality you will be playing catch up waiting for dev team to crack it instead of getting it thier and then.
post #7 of 26
I am very tempted to go down that road alright...either that or keep my current phone and get an iPod touch!!! You'd never guess that Apples European HQ are based where I live and we still haven't had a chance to get the iPhone
post #8 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by gartcork View Post

I am very tempted to go down that road alright...either that or keep my current phone and get an iPod touch!!! You'd never guess that Apples European HQ are based where I live and we still haven't had a chance to get the iPhone

Yeah that's in Hollyhill, which sucks. Worse, we don't have one damn Apple store \

If you want to get away without paying the import duty I'd advise waiting a few weeks at least (should die down by then). Oh and the postman told me 200,000 international packages to Ireland went missing over the holidays. So consider yourself lucky if you even receive the thing.

Wont be able to finish this jailbreak until my new Airport Extreme arrives, which sucks. Going to try to use Next SIM 2 then to use the damn thing as a phone. That's due to arrive by post very soon also.

By the way, the iPhone.. how is it? "way cool" upon holding it in your hand. The most surprising this is how thin it is, it seems way thinner than I was expecting. And it seems quite small, in a good way

Happy new year
post #9 of 26
Guys in case you are interest to know (I know I was originally) the totally weight of an American 8GB iPhone including box etc. is 0.763 kg.

This comes in very handy when trying to determine international shipping costs etc. I know that one piece of info has to help somebody.
post #10 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Not sure about legal, but I'm in the process of jailbreaking mine on my desk right now, after a night on the booze mind you

How did the jailbreak go for you? I have done mine and am waiting for my stealthsim to arrive so I can use it for calls.

My old phone may break the sound barrier when I launch it in the bin as long as the steathsim works
Never trust an ethiopian with a double chin.
Never trust an ethiopian with a double chin.
post #11 of 26
I'm definitely getting extremely jealous of you all now.....I met another two guys over the weekend who have the iPhone ( even though they can't use it as a phone yet!!!) My first chance to hold one physically.....Amazing!!! What's the story with waiting up to four weeks to activate it with stealth sim though?
post #12 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosser View Post

How did the jailbreak go for you? I have done mine and am waiting for my stealthsim to arrive so I can use it for calls.

My old phone may break the sound barrier when I launch it in the bin as long as the steathsim works

Pretty good, I'm nearly there. I just need my Airport Extreme to arrive to I can finish the hack. Oh, my Next SIM 2 arrived, I have cut my sim and stuck them together with the built in double-sided tape. I seems legit, and very very thin mind you - kind of floppy. I'll let you guys know very soon how it all went.

The only problem with getting one now Gart is that it may have 1.1.3 on it. Who knows what hacking complications that will bring. During the hack you get to use most of the functions... "Amazing!"
post #13 of 26
[QUOTE=Ireland;1193097]Pretty good, I'm nearly there. I just need my Airport Extreme to arrive to I can finish the hack. Oh, my Next SIM 2 arrived, I have cut my sim and stuck them together with the built in double-sided tape. I seems legit, and very very thin mind you - kind of floppy. I'll let you guys know very soon how it all went.

I apologize in advance for my stupidity.... but would a normal router not work to finish the hack?

Also, hopefully it won't be long before there's a hack for 1.1.3

www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUUu0loc-wY

Saw this on youtube if it's any help Ireland....
post #14 of 26
Quote:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUUu0loc-wY

Saw this on youtube if it's any help Ireland....

I didn't see this video, but this is exactly what I did today. Same cut exactly.

You need to finish the hack over Wifi, as the ethernet internet cable cannot fit into the iPhone, and you cannot install the SIM thing until the hack is done. The hack allows you to install third party apps, but it also bypasses Apple's AT&T activation, which is the key to the jail so to speak.

Thanks for the link though, it has inspired confidence in what I am doing. I let you know if it works, the SIM chip unlock that is. Here's where I bought the chip. Scroll down for the video which pretty shows you everything.

The video doesn't include the first part though, you can read that on Life Hacker. Gizmodo's video is a little misleading, and the leave out small steps that makes it impossible to do what they are doing. Example: When at the start trying to get the iPhone to go into recovery mode, they failed let the viewer know the crucial part, as in the bit where you are not meant to slide the power off slider to turn the iPhone off, but you have to actually keep the sleep and home buttons pressed for about 20 seconds, even after the power off slider appears - you keep holding them. I got that bit of Life Hacker.
post #15 of 26
I have a wireless router....Will that work?? Let me know how it goes for you...
post #16 of 26
Quote:

I have a wireless router....Will that work?? Let me know how it goes for you...

Wireless router will work fine, but as I said. When you do buy you'll likely be getting 1.1.3, which will be a problem, at least for a while anyway.
post #17 of 26
It worked, it worked, it all worked!

Woot!

NEXT SIM 2 requires the instillation of iWorld, found in Installer > Network. That was the only SIM related hitch, and I got it sorted pretty snappy. I am officially an iPhoner!

PS, that Gizmodo hack tutorial video sucks. It leaves out small stuff like "quit iTunes at this point" etc. I'd recommend ModMyiFone's written tutorial over it, simply because it leaves out nothing.
post #18 of 26
Great stuff Ireland...Happy iPhoning!!!

I made a few enquiries about doing something similar but I'm tied in with "3" for another while and apparently it's the only network that doesn't work with the iPhone after being unlocked ( I think it's because it's a 3G sim card )

Guess I'll have to wait for the 16GB 3G iPhone to be released here next September!!! \
post #19 of 26
Quote:

Great stuff Ireland...Happy iPhoning!!!

I made a few enquiries about doing something similar but I'm tied in with "3" for another while and apparently it's the only network that doesn't work with the iPhone after being unlocked ( I think it's because it's a 3G sim card )

Guess I'll have to wait for the 16GB 3G iPhone to be released here next September!!! \

Some people have got 3G SIM cards working. Thanks to iWorld.
post #20 of 26
Quote:

Some people have got 3G SIM cards working. Thanks to iWorld.

I'm very intrigued...and interested!!! Can you tell me anymore.....?
post #21 of 26
Quote:

I'm very intrigued...and interested!!! Can you tell me anymore.....?

If I was you I'd get it, you'll get it working eventually. Worst case scenario, you have to get a new SIM and get your old number transferred to it. Besides, even though 1.1.3 is on it's way, there'll be hacks for that, and in the meantime others will figure a way to install 1.1.2 on it without iTunes. Go for it I say.

Oh, but wait for the 16GB version due out in the next few weeks. The only reason I got this version is because I'm doing alright for myself right now, and can afford it.

iWorld is an App which fixes crashing issues associated with iPhones on international, and non-supported networks. It's kind of needed, easily installed and available.

By the way, when people in the town centre see me with an iPhone they think I'm a God. I've had jaws drop right in front of me when I'm just sending a text
post #22 of 26
Thanks Steve.....not....Guess I'll have to unlock one now!!
post #23 of 26
Quote:

Thanks Steve.....not....Guess I'll have to unlock one now!!

You were expecting that announcement? You so crazy.

Just buy one and be done with it.
post #24 of 26
Quote:

You were expecting that announcement? You so crazy.

Just buy one and be done with it.

I'm the eternal optimist.....

I'm working on getting one at the moment.... I've waited over 12 months, what's another few days....I hope!
post #25 of 26
There's Something In The Air...... at least I hope so anyway!!
My Unlocked iPhone should be winging it's way to me soon...
Just hope it works with '3'...if not I'll get an 'O2' Ready to go card....Either way, hopefully I'll be iPhoning soon
post #26 of 26

I'm officialy an iPhoner.....WOW What a piece of gear. I knew it would be good but I've just been blown away!!! I got mine working with O2 Irl.... didn't work with '3' or Vodafone for some reason. If anyone in Ireland ( or any other country where the iPhone hasn't been rolled out yet ) is mulling over whether to get one or not , just go for it...you won't regret it!!! Can anyone recomend a good case and when will it be safe to upgrade to 1.1.3 with installer?

:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iPhone in Ireland