or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Need a cool desk for new iMac
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Need a cool desk for new iMac

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 
I want to get a new iMac in the next few months, i want to put it in our family room for my kids and myself to use so i don't have to go upstairs.
My wife says ok IF i can find a "nice" desk small, clean looking so her family room doesn't look all "cluttered up" and junky looking. so i need some advice for a simple elegant desk with some drawers, no tower cd holders etc.

help me get a new mac
it's either this way or put it upstairs and get my kids a laptop and myself an iMac.

thanks for the help
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
Reply
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
Reply
post #2 of 15
If you can find a gap between two walls, on the either side if a chimney beast or something. I'd recommend doing what I did, get a floating desk built. A piece of 1" think pine etc. made to fit perfectly in this gap, and hopefully not coming out past the edge of the breast much, 6" or so is not in the way.

What you do then is screw 3 1x2 pieces of wood into the wall surrounding where the desk slab would be, and do it in such a way that the 1x2's are hidden. You then screw the 1x2's to the desk from underneath the bottom edge of each one. You end up with what is perfect for an iMac. A perfect, modern minimal setup.

Having the top of the finished desk at 29" tall (or up to 1/3" taller) seems to be pretty perfect for a 24" iMac. If you're getting that model, and you go this route, trust me, I just saved a lot of work by giving you those measurements. Particularly the height one.

Enjoy your iMac.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #3 of 15
It sounds like your wife is going to pick out the desk. My advice: get something that's consistent with the furniture that's already in that room.
Cat: the other white meat
Reply
Cat: the other white meat
Reply
post #4 of 15
Thread Starter 
yes she will pick out the desk but i wanted to give her options, that they exist and get her working on it.....i can see that iMac now.....mmmmmmm
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
Reply
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
Reply
post #5 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

I want to get a new iMac in the next few months, i want to put it in our family room for my kids and myself to use so i don't have to go upstairs.
My wife says ok IF i can find a "nice" desk small, clean looking so her family room doesn't look all "cluttered up" and junky looking. so i need some advice for a simple elegant desk with some drawers, no tower cd holders etc.

help me get a new mac
it's either this way or put it upstairs and get my kids a laptop and myself an iMac.

thanks for the help

I think something with Steve Jobs in a Buddha pose with incense and candles would be nice.
wink wink...

Oh and a huge engraved JOBS FOR PRESIDENT would be great.
LOL.

J/K

Actually, there are probably some that think this would be a great thing. Ha-Ha.
post #6 of 15
I did the same as Ireland. I have a floating desk and it looks great. If you don't happen to have the needed walls for the floating desk, try to find something that matches the rest of your furniture. I really like the glass type of desks with metal legs, but as you have children, that may not be the best idea if they are young. You could also go for a very simple, clean desk that is only the desk itself and the legs. No CD tower or anything like that. Hope that helps.
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

yes she will pick out the desk but i wanted to give her options, that they exist and get her working on it.....i can see that iMac now.....mmmmmmm

Lust is such a powerful motivator.

Went through a similar process last year with my study at home; wanted to remodel but on a tight budget. Spent days surfing the net - there are tons and tons of furniture places online that have photos of their stuff. Even designed my own. Eventually went for a duo: bought several pieces and modified them to my particular needs.

Check online for Furniture Office Desk. THen you can start narrowing down the style you like.

One place to start:
http://www.everythingofficefurniture.com/

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply
post #8 of 15
Anthro makes some really nice looking desks that go well with macs.- I've had 3 different comps on it over time and they've all looked great.

www.anthro.com
post #9 of 15
post #10 of 15
I got a nice desk from IKEA:
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40079218
I got it in birch, but they also do it in black, Its nice an minimalist although may be a little larger than you are looking for, though the is a set of drawers also available. Its pretty cheap at £36 ($70)

They also do a glass top which sits on top (£14 so approx $30) which makes it look very nice aswell. I have a 24" iMac sitting on it and it looks great.

The only downside is that i now have to use a mouse mat with my mighty mouse (as the glass is too smooth and confuses it!)

ps it says it can only take a 19" monitor, I think that it just says that incase you get the add-on unit for the top. My iMac is fine on it.
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by stustanley View Post

I got a nice desk from IKEA:
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40079218
I got it in birch, but they also do it in black, Its nice an minimalist although may be a little larger than you are looking for, though the is a set of drawers also available. Its pretty cheap at £36 ($70)

They also do a glass top which sits on top (£14 so approx $30) which makes it look very nice aswell. I have a 24" iMac sitting on it and it looks great.

The only downside is that i now have to use a mouse mat with my mighty mouse (as the glass is too smooth and confuses it!)

ps it says it can only take a 19" monitor, I think that it just says that incase you get the add-on unit for the top. My iMac is fine on it.

If you can't find the walls for the floating desk, which I can vouch for, this desk in link looks like a very good choice.

Edit, didn't know it had a glass lid, can you remove that?
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

If you can't find the walls for the floating desk, which I can vouch for, this desk in link looks like a very good choice.

Edit, didn't know it had a glass lid, can you remove that?

I'm in a rented house at the moment so didn't want anything permanent so it was perfect. A floating desk (I imagine) would look pretty good though.

The glass top optional extra, it just sits on top - I didn't buy it when I first got the desk, (Infact I only got it a few days ago) it makes it all shiny now

It reminds me of the furniture in the apple store a bit.
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by stustanley View Post

I'm in a rented house at the moment so didn't want anything permanent so it was perfect. A floating desk (I imagine) would look pretty good though.

The glass top optional extra, it just sits on top - I didn't buy it when I first got the desk, (Infact I only got it a few days ago) it makes it all shiny now

It reminds me of the furniture in the apple store a bit.

Actually, IKEA makes some cool stuff.

That said, I don't see the brand I got, but check out some music stores, sometimes you can get great bang for the buck and its built for monitors and rack systems, which in your case you could put other devices like receiver, DVR, amplifier, et-cetera, on it.

Good luck.
post #14 of 15
Quote:
The iMac "Core 2 Duo" 2.16 24-Inch (White), "Core 2 Duo" 2.4 24-Inch (Aluminum), and "Core 2 Extreme" 2.8 24-Inch (Aluminum) are VESA compliant and can be wall mounted with an adapter kit purchased from Apple or an Apple Authorized Reseller. A instruction manual with installation details is available for download in PDF format.

http://www.everymac.com/systems/appl...-mounting.html
Most of us employ the Internet not to seek the best information, but rather to select information that confirms our prejudices. - Nicholas D. Kristof
Reply
Most of us employ the Internet not to seek the best information, but rather to select information that confirms our prejudices. - Nicholas D. Kristof
Reply
post #15 of 15
Quote:

I have used an armature ending in a tray. Instead of fastening the armature to the back of the monitor, the monitor sits on the tray. The tray has a pullout U-shaped rod that I keep the keyboard on. I put the keyboard on my lap to type. I wouldn’t advise typing with the keyboard on the shelf, as it would jiggle the monitor.
When I wasn’t using the computer, I’d push it back and it was unobtrusive. I liked the fact that I could move the monitor back and forth depending on the application I was using at the time.

The monitor I was using was a heavy CRT, not a flat panel screen. While the weight doesn’t make a big difference, I’m not sure a wide monitor, extending over the sides of the tray, would be very stable. It would probably need to be fastened to the tray. A couple of C-clamps would probably work. After reconsidering, maybe fastening the armature to the rear of a 24” iMac using an adaptor kit would be a better idea but more expensive.

An armature doesn’t have to be fastened directly to a wall. A friend has bolted his armature to a 2X4 that is fastened to several studs in the wall, as there is no stud directly behind the armature. It is very stable. The armature can be clamped to a desk (as mine is) or to something else.

In any case, using an armature saves desk space, is easy to position, and can be out of the way when not in use.
ADS
Reply
ADS
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Need a cool desk for new iMac