or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple introduces new Mac Pro topping out at 3.2GHz
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple introduces new Mac Pro topping out at 3.2GHz

post #1 of 253
Thread Starter 
Ahead of next week's Macworld conference, Apple on Tuesday introduced the new Mac Pro with eight processor cores and a new system architecture that delivers up to twice the performance of its predecessor.

As was anticipated in October by AppleInsider, the new Mac Pro combines two of Intels new 45 nanometer Quad-Core "Harpertown" Xeon processors running up to 3.2 GHz, powerful new graphics and up to 4TB of internal storage to offer the ideal system for creative professionals, 3D digital content creators and scientists. The standard 8-core configuration starts at just $2,799.

The new Mac Pro is the fastest Mac weve ever made, said Philip Schiller, Apples senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing. With 3.2 GHz 8-core Xeon processing, a 1600 MHz front side bus and 800 MHz memory, the new Mac Pro uses the fastest Intel Xeon architecture on the market.

Inside the new Mac Pro is the latest Penryn-based Quad-Core Intel Xeon 5400 series processors based on state-of-the-art 45nm Intel Core microarchitecture running up to 3.2 GHz, each with 12MB of L2 cache per processor for breakthrough performance and power efficiency. With a new high-bandwidth hardware architecture, dual-independent 1600 MHz front side buses and up to 32GB of 800 MHz DDR2 ECC FB-DIMM memory, the new Mac Pro achieves a 61 percent increase in memory throughput, Apple says.

Every Mac Pro comes standard with the ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT graphics card with 256MB of video memory. Each Mac Pro also includes a new PCI Express 2.0 graphics slot that delivers up to double the bandwidth compared to the previous generation, and supports the latest generation of graphics cards from NVIDIA, such as the NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT with 512MB of video memory, or NVIDIA Quadro FX 5600 with 1.5GB of video memory and a 3-D stereo port for stereo-in-a-window applications. With support for up to four graphics cards, the new Mac Pro can drive up to eight 30-inch displays at once for advanced visualization and large display walls.



Continuing its tradition as Apple's most expandable Mac ever, the Mac Pro featuring four internal hard drive bays with direct-attach, cable-free installation of four 1TB Serial ATA hard drives, totaling 4TB of internal storage and support for two SuperDrives. With optional 15000 rpm SAS drives that can deliver up to 250MB/s of RAID 5 disk I/O performance, the Mac Pro is ideal for film and video editors. Combined with SATA or SAS drives, using an optional Mac Pro RAID card offers the ultimate data protection and disk I/O performance on the Mac Pro. The Mac Pro is easily and conveniently accessible in front and back so users can connect external devices with five USB 2.0, two FireWire® 400, two FireWire 800, optical and analog audio in and out, dual Gigabit Ethernet ports and a headphone jack.



Every Mac Pro also ships with Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard, the new ultra-thin aluminum Apple Keyboard, and the Apple Mighty Mouse.

Pricing & Availability

The new Mac Pro is shipping today and will be available through the Apple Store, Apples retail stores and Apple Authorized Resellers.

The standard 8-core Mac Pro, with a suggested retail price of $2,799 (US), includes:
two 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon processors with dual-independent 1600 MHz front side buses2GB of 800 MHz DDR2 ECC fully-buffered DIMM memory, expandable up to 32GBATI Radeon HD 2600 XT with 256MB of GDDR3 memory320GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s hard drive running at 7200 rpm16x SuperDrive with double-layer support (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)two PCI Express 2.0 slots and two PCI Express slotsBluetooth 2.0+EDR; andships with Apple Keyboard and Mighty Mouse.
In addition to the standard configuration, the Mac Pro offers numerous build-to-order options including: one 2.8 GHz, two 3.0 GHz, or two 3.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon processors; up to 32GB of 800 MHz DDR2 fully-buffered ECC memory; up to four 1TB Serial ATA hard drives running at 7200 rpm or up to four 300GB SAS drives running at 15000 rpm; Mac Pro RAID card; up to two 16x SuperDrives with double-layer support; NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT or NVIDIA Quadro FX 5600 graphics cards; AirPort Extreme 802.11n; Apple USB Modem; Apple wireless Aluminum Keyboard; Apple wireless Mighty Mouse; and Mac OS X Server Leopard.
post #2 of 253
Price increased to $2800. Enough room between consumer and pro to fit in a mid-range tower or otherwise-desktop mac.

- Xidius
post #3 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by >_> View Post

Price increased to $2800. Enough room between consumer and pro to fit in a mid-range tower or otherwise-desktop mac.

- Xidius

That's a good point, there has been so much rumour over a tablet or slim macbook recently that the mid-range tower has been forgotten, and there is definitely still a place for it in Apple's line up.
post #4 of 253
New X-Serves too!
post #5 of 253
A nice update. Brings everything up to current gen which is all the Mac Pro needed. 8800GT was a sensible choice.
post #6 of 253
Same form factor; the rumored smaller tower version seems to be a no show. Although it would be hard to reduce the size of the case, and the current (and continued) layout, with its easy drive and ram access, is hard to beat.
post #7 of 253
I'm glad that they did this today, so they can save other more exciting things for macworld
gl
Reply
gl
Reply
post #8 of 253
Depends what is going in the bin though could be a complete re-design if this much asked for medium tower exists
post #9 of 253
My prediction is the AppleTV only will get blu-ray at MacWorld.
post #10 of 253
I have a nice feeling we are in for an exciting week...

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply
post #11 of 253
On the medium tower myth
There is no future for user-serviced PCs.
Soon we'll all be using iPhone, iTVs and iFridges.
And just like Phones, TVs and Fridges before, these devices will come out of a box, work instantly and get replaced in a multi-year cycle.

If Apple ever had plans to make a medium tower, it was 10 years ago.
Times have changed. Lets move on.
post #12 of 253
What aren't first options: BluRay, Firewire 3200 and expanded ATi to include say the 3800 series.

Great Choice for nVidia BTO:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/quadro_..._features.html

List of features gives one pause to think regarding Cinema Display options, if they choose to expand their capabilities combined with such a GPU.

I doubt it, but the OS can handle it.

I didn't expect FW3200. I don't expect BluRay as a BTO until Fall 08 and the dust has settled a bit more.

I still don't expect to see advances in GPUs until Vista SP1 is out.
post #13 of 253
Was hoping for new displays or maybe bundled blu-ray drive (guess you can add it later).

Thinking outloud about the changes made and whether I am going to pull the trigger now:
The new graphics cards are not bad. Would love to be able to afford the workstation card but...$$$ 8800GT might be a good compromise.
FSB 1333->1600, memory 667->800mhz (dunno if it matters with latency)
Per processor cache 4mb->12mb
+SSE4

Overall ~12% performance bump over previous well equipped Mac Pro? Can't wait for some hard data. Have to justify that the $6k is worth it to the wife compared to the $2k for a 24" iMac.
post #14 of 253
It seems that there is room in this design to remove one or two of just about everything and finish up with a...
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
post #15 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by >_> View Post

Price increased to $2800. Enough room between consumer and pro to fit in a mid-range tower or otherwise-desktop mac.

That's for the 2x2.8Ghz model. The single CPU 2.8Ghz would be the new cheap option.
post #16 of 253
YES! YES! YES!

Finally! Now I will wait until MacWorld only to see if there will be new displays, but I will be ordering a new Mac Pro within 8 days.

Thank you Apple for making me a poorer and happier man.

And on a more sober note: Should we read anything into this:
Quote:
Each Mac Pro also includes a new PCI Express 2.0 graphics slot that delivers up to double the bandwidth compared to the previous generation, and supports the latest generation of graphics cards from NVIDIA...

Is it implying that we will be able to change out video cards in the future?
"Too much of a good thing is great." Mae West
Reply
"Too much of a good thing is great." Mae West
Reply
post #17 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomohr View Post

I'm glad that they did this today, so they can save other more exciting things for macworld

That's exactly right.

They had to release pro updates. They simply had to.

But by doing it a week early, they could concentrate on what Macworld has primarily become (to the dismay of us old-timers), a consumer show.

This will leave more time for new products, and the mention of updated older ones.

Hopefully, this means there will be time for more than one new product, which is assumed to be the ultralight.
post #18 of 253
I want one of these so bad I can taste the aluminum.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
post #19 of 253
On another note, I'm a bit frustrated that Apple went halfway with Express 2, offering just 2 Express 2 slots, with the others being Express 1 slots. I'd like to find out just what this means for the overall throughput of the machine.

I had decided that if Apple went to Express 2 this time, I would get the machine now (though I was hoping for a new case, eSATA port, etc, as well).

Also the range of graphics cards.

But, now I don't know what to think. It's not like Apple to go halfway with a new bus. I guess we'll see more when the store is back online shortly.
post #20 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

What aren't first options: BluRay, Firewire 3200 and expanded ATi to include say the 3800 series.

Great Choice for nVidia BTO:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/quadro_..._features.html

List of features gives one pause to think regarding Cinema Display options, if they choose to expand their capabilities combined with such a GPU.

I doubt it, but the OS can handle it.

I didn't expect FW3200. I don't expect BluRay as a BTO until Fall 08 and the dust has settled a bit more.

I still don't expect to see advances in GPUs until Vista SP1 is out.

We may see BD sooner rather than later. The word is now out that Paramount may switch to BD. Supposedly, there is an opt-out clause in the contract with Toshiba, that if Warner moves exclusively to BD (they are the biggest), then Paramount, and I also assume Dreamworks, can move over as well.

If this is true, then bye bye HD-DVD. There is no way Universal would stay by themselves as exclusively HD-DVD.

I don't care about FW3200. eSATA is the only way to go for high speed external drives.
post #21 of 253
Japan store is back up, though not completely.... US is still down.

http://store.apple.com/AsiaApple/Web...6No1fI1h7fE4tx

It seems there must be something coming between the iMac and the Pro; the price jump is just too much (from 159,000 for the iMac, from 349,000 for the Pro).

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply
post #22 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

On another note, I'm a bit frustrated that Apple went halfway with Express 2, offering just 2 Express 2 slots, with the others being Ex[ress 1 slots. I'd like to find out just what this means for the overall throughput of the machine.

I had decided that if Apple went to Express 2 this time, I would get the machine now (though I was hoping for a new case, eSATA port, etc, as well).

Also the range of graphics cards.

But, now I don't know what to think. It's not like Apple to go halfway with a new bus. I guess we'll see more when the store is back online shortly.

Given Apple's recent cycles for the Mac Pro, you would be left waiting for a year (minimum) before seeing another version of the Mac Pro.

I don't think anyone got everything they wanted with this update, but I will be buying it. I cannot wait for another year and there are significant enough upgrades in this version to keep me from buying a used or refurbished last gen Mac Pro.
"Too much of a good thing is great." Mae West
Reply
"Too much of a good thing is great." Mae West
Reply
post #23 of 253
Holy crap!!! These things friggin' rock.

Yesterday you could buy a four processor 2.66 for $2,499

Today you get an eight processor 2.8 for $2,799

That's only an extra $300. Awesome.

By the way, yesterday it cost $4,000 for a eight core 3.0

2.8 will be just fine for me.
post #24 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by donebylee View Post

Given Apple's recent cycles for the Mac Pro, you would be left waiting for a year (minimum) before seeing another version of the Mac Pro.

I don't think anyone got everything they wanted with this update, but I will be buying it. I cannot wait for another year and there are significant enough upgrades in this version to keep me from buying a used or refurbished last gen Mac Pro.

When Nehalem comes out, supposedly in the 3rd quarter of this year, Apple will be required to make a massive makeover of the internals of the machine, at least.

At that time Express 2 should be completely supported, and I would expect a new case to mark that major shift. This case will be 4 years old, and that's pretty old.

Nehalem, its supporting chipset, and full support of Express 2, will also allow for more lanes, giving more options in video, among others.

I would expect eSATA by then as well.
post #25 of 253
I am reckoning 6 months for Bluray, with burnings support. Reasoning:
- reduced cost
- provides more value as a backup solution
- not enough titles are on Bluray at this point, to validate eating into the profit margin

If it does come before, then I would imagine it will be a BTO option, forcing the cost on the user.

As a point of note, the Samsung SH-B022, which was announced at the beginning of 2006, due April 2006, was marked at $500. Looking at one one online store (first hit with Google), the current (Jan 2008) price range is $466 - $980.
post #26 of 253
Power up to eight 30" displays. Wow.

I think it's a bit much to go all-8 core.

I hope all the new cards are available separately, but I only care about the lower two models, I don't know which I'd go for. I guess passive GPU cooling is gone now, but the lower model can do 2x 30".
post #27 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmas View Post

I am reckoning 6 months for Bluray, with burnings support. Reasoning:
- reduced cost
- provides more value as a backup solution
- not enough titles are on Bluray at this point, to validate eating into the profit margin

If it does come before, then I would imagine it will be a BTO option, forcing the cost on the user.

Burning support is nothing. That'a available now through Toast, or LaCie's own software.

It's the movie playback that must be recognized by the OS, and supposedly, only Apple can do that effectively.

But, playback would be much cheaper than even the $500 you can get a 4x BD burner (internal) for now.
post #28 of 253
Not sure if this is the first time Apple has announced something so close to MacExpo, but this isn't like them???

I would agree with others who say we must be in for a treat, but Steve's still going to speak for a while, and what will he talk about, now that it won't be (much ) about these???

- Smaller, Consumer models?

- Apple TV (how much time can he spend here?

- iPhone, iPod updates (recent or most recent - how much time here?

- Apples growth

- Apples Finances

- Software Applications

- NEW iMac's?

- Something NEW for Apple what might this be?

- iTunes, Rental services, new music, new movies?

Some of this will be boring and a real let down, if this is what MacExpo will be about

We have to figure Steve has been doing trail runs of his speech, and he determined, in the time slot, he couldn't get EVERYTHING in, so let's announce some stuff now, and the NEW, EXCITING stuff at the expo here's hoping.

Skip
post #29 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by >_> View Post

Price increased to $2800. Enough room between consumer and pro to fit in a mid-range tower or otherwise-desktop mac.

- Xidius

That is what I thought, too.

I expect the keynote to be filled with more than one new device now that the mac Pro and Xserve have been updated. I wonder what booth people will be crowding around today at CES?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #30 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Power up to eight 30" displays. Wow.

I think it's a bit much to go all-8 core.

I hope all the new cards are available separately, but I only care about the lower two models, I don't know which I'd go for. I guess passive GPU cooling is gone now, but the lower model can do 2x 30".

8 cores is good. It's something that will make these machines more future proof.

It will take more time to have most apps use more than two cpu's. Meanwhile, multitasking has never been more efficient.

In two years, when PS finally uses 4 or 8 cores, it will run several times faster than now, without the purchase of a new machine. Other apps will also be more effective.

In the long run, it will be cheaper to have bought an 8 core machine, and skipped an upgrade cycle.
post #31 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That is what I thought, too.

I expect the keynote to be filled with more than one new device now that the mac Pro and Xserve have been updated. I wonder what booth people will be crowding around today at CES?

We don't yet know what the lowest priced machine in this series is yet. Apple hasn't opened the store.

That's something I don't understand. They know what they are putting up. One would think that they have it ready, and would just need to push a button.
post #32 of 253
The Apple Store is being updated. It would really be funny if someone confused this Tuesday with next Tuesday and is updating the Store.
post #33 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

We don't yet know what the lowest priced machine in this series is yet. Apple hasn't opened the store.

That's something I don't understand. They know what they are putting up. One would think that they have it ready, and would just need to push a button.

They might be doing some testing to make sure it's correct, but I think Apple does it this way to create hype. I'd say it's effective marketing.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #34 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That is what I thought, too.

I expect the keynote to be filled with more than one new device now that the mac Pro and Xserve have been updated. I wonder what booth people will be crowding around today at CES?

I wouldn't bet on it myself.

The single CPU 2.8Ghz MacPro is £320 less than the dual. £1429 inc VAT here in the UK. Dual is £1749.
post #35 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak1808 View Post

On the medium tower myth
There is no future for user-serviced PCs.
Soon we'll all be using iPhone, iTVs and iFridges.
And just like Phones, TVs and Fridges before, these devices will come out of a box, work instantly and get replaced in a multi-year cycle.

If Apple ever had plans to make a medium tower, it was 10 years ago.
Times have changed. Lets move on.

Have you never wondered why most electrical appliances start cracking up after five years ? My parents gear lasted tens of years mine seems to follow the product cycle of PC manufacturers - so your guess if the iFridge is probably not too far fetched :-)
post #36 of 253
I'm unimpressed. Not by Apple but by Penryn. When you look at official benchmarks , in 3D and video apps , 3.2Ghz Penryn is only 10% faster than previous 3.0Ghz 8core. So if you take into account 200Mhz extra Penryn is sporting , clock for clock it's probably exactly same performace. (i'm not talking about performace per watt or per $$$)
post #37 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by freelander51 View Post

Have you never wondered why most electrical appliances start cracking up after five years ? My parents gear lasted tens of years mine seems to follow the product cycle of PC manufacturers - so your guess if the iFridge is probably not too far fetched :-)

If you want apple quality fridge/freezers, buy Northland:

http://www.northlandnka.com/

(not affiliated, but I own the 72" fridge freezer combo, and it kicks sub-zero ass)
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
post #38 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

If you want apple quality fridge/freezers, buy Northland:

http://www.northlandnka.com/

(not affiliated, but I own the 72" fridge freezer combo, and it kicks sub-zero ass)

Fridge? That looks more like a small apartment.
post #39 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

When Nehalem comes out, supposedly in the 3rd quarter of this year, Apple will be required to make a massive makeover of the internals of the machine, at least.

At that time Express 2 should be completely supported, and I would expect a new case to mark that major shift. This case will be 4 years old, and that's pretty old.

Nehalem, its supporting chipset, and full support of Express 2, will also allow for more lanes, giving more options in video, among others.

I would expect eSATA by then as well.

You could be right, but I expect it will be about this time next year before we see another Mac Pro update. I don't have the luxury of waiting any longer and this machine should meet my needs for several years to come so I'm buying next week after all other products are introduced. I am hoping for new displays as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhail View Post

The Apple Store is being updated. It would really be funny if someone confused this Tuesday with next Tuesday and is updating the Store.

Store is up and it is a $500 discount if you go with the single 2.8 GHz xeon.
"Too much of a good thing is great." Mae West
Reply
"Too much of a good thing is great." Mae West
Reply
post #40 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

On another note, I'm a bit frustrated that Apple went halfway with Express 2, offering just 2 Express 2 slots, with the others being Express 1 slots. I'd like to find out just what this means for the overall throughput of the machine.

that is the limit of the intel chip set.

AMD / ATI and NVIDIA AMD chipset as FULL pci-e 2.0.

also $800 for a raid card with only 4 ports??

you get severs board with on board hardware raid for about $100 more then the non sever one.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple introduces new Mac Pro topping out at 3.2GHz