or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple hoists "There's something in the air" Macworld banners

Apple hoists "There's something in the air" Macworld banners - Page 9

post #321 of 385
Air Mac is what they call Air Port in Japan; some other company has the rights to Air Port in Japan.

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

post #322 of 385
Air Mac is the Japanese branding for Apple's Airport. Nothing to see here, move along!

Edit: Berger beat me to it.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #323 of 385
who here will pay $4 for a 24 hour rental from a few movie companies when you can get netflix for 18 bucks a month with no late fees through the mail and hundreds of free online rentals?

i love apple design - hardware and software, and i'll pay more for their design, but i'm not paying more for a movie rental just because it's from apple.
post #324 of 385
So is the keynote speech tomorrow?

I thought it was today (Monday) for some reason...
post #325 of 385

post #326 of 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Air Mac is what they call Air Port in Japan; some other company has the rights to Air Port in Japan.

I knew that too, I guess the Temporary Insanity made me let it slip from my mind for a few seconds but that would definitely mean that the Air would be very unlikely to be in the name of any possible new Apple products released Tomorrow then, right?
post #327 of 385
Dunno.

MacBook Air and AirPort and AirMac Extreme are all pretty clear cut to me.

Make sure to vote in the poll about what's coming.

post #328 of 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by desarc View Post

who here will pay $4 for a 24 hour rental from a few movie companies when you can get netflix for 18 bucks a month with no late fees through the mail and hundreds of free online rentals?

i love apple design - hardware and software, and i'll pay more for their design, but i'm not paying more for a movie rental just because it's from apple.

I will. I don't run Windows so Netflix's on-demand feature is useless to me, and Netflix is by far the slowest video rental scheme available. I don't want to plan ahead for what I'll be in the mood for in a few days. Plus, i travel often and will not be rerouting my Netflix account to the various hotels I stay at. Plus, putting A Netflix DVD onto an iDevice is illegal and takes far too long to copy and convert.

It appears Apple is competing directly with Cable and Satellite VOD services and pricing model, not with Netlfix or Blockbuster. But Netflix has its benefits, I will keep my Netflix account active as there are many things that can be only had through them.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #329 of 385

Edited by iPhelim - 5/3/14 at 12:20pm
post #330 of 385
Quote:

Anyone who's on a Mac? Netflix doesn't offer online viewing for anyone but XP/Vista/IE users.

Quote:

Agreed, if the cheaper sites would only offer them to us.
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
post #331 of 385
-=

Edited by iPhelim - 5/3/14 at 12:20pm
post #332 of 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangochutney View Post

I know this wasn't tested thoroughly, yet, but this looks promising, and combined with a well integrated handwriting recognition it would be just wonderful: http://arstechnica.com/journals/appl...ok-layout-view
(Check out the article from MacBU at MS.)

Until MWSF it is like this:

"There's somethingin the air." ...
... "vaporware"

that does look really nice, but i had to double check that it was actually something made by Microsoft, it's the spitting image of any iWork app, especially Keynote
post #333 of 385
Quote:

Let me set the stage:
I have Netflix (2 DVDs a one time), a HDTV (not 1080p), and a PS3 (which runs folding@home), and my queue is mostly filled with Blu-ray movies. I used to go to my local Blockbuster, but I don't any more (particularly since it is a franchise one that has decided not to carry Blu-ray yet). Because I subscribe by the month, I'm motivated to watch the movies I get fairly quickly. However, I work 50 hours/week (not a student), I have a family, so there is limited time for watching movies. We have a Mac for everyone in our family (the newest being an original MBP), and an AppleTV (plus an iPhone, a Touch, and 2 3rd gen Nanos).

For me to pay $4, it would mean turning off Netflix. I would love to do that - just buy what I need, and don't have (one more) monthly subscription. I really don't have time to watch 4 or more movies a month because I also watch DVDs/tapes from the library, sports, and other HI-Def entertainment from my cable. However, the rentals would need to be 7.1 audio and 720p/1080i video. I am very pro-Apple, and I like the convenience of iTunes, but I also want the audio/video quality.

Bottom line - $4 or less with 7.1 and 720p/1080i would make me change from Netflix to Apple.
-JD
-- "If Apple wasn't so greedy, they would build G6's and give them away!"
-JD
-- "If Apple wasn't so greedy, they would build G6's and give them away!"
post #334 of 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwdawso View Post

Let me set the stage:
Bottom line - $4 or less with 7.1 and 720p/1080i would make me change from Netflix to Apple.

i don't have the time either, which is why i like to have 3 movies [or episodes of Dexer] sitting around my house for whenever i get around to watching them, not being required to do so in 24 hours.

you can watch netflix [or work in Revit / AutoCAD] if you have parallels on your mac.
post #335 of 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronster View Post

What about Clearwire (one of the first WiMax providers)? They already have market penetration (like 46 markets) with more on the way?

With XOhm only in a couple of places so far, Clearwire looks like a better WiMax solution, for now.

Like other posters said, The FON rumor looks like a better possibility.

Geez, I wish Clearwire was partnering with Apple or Google... their stock has been slaughtered as of late.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #336 of 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPhelim View Post

Or maybe this was written originally for Japan.

I suspect this.
"I tried to get a tattoo once but passed out. It wasn't wetting my arm that bothered me, I just couldn't press firmly for 30 seconds."
"I tried to get a tattoo once but passed out. It wasn't wetting my arm that bothered me, I just couldn't press firmly for 30 seconds."
post #337 of 385
I think that a lot of people on here are failing to see an ongoing increase in Television Technology. Movie rentals are just the beginning. Apple already had their "foot in the door" with how many TV networks? How long do we think that it's really going to be before the AppleTV becomes the "decoder" for AppleTV Home Entertainment (where Apple becomes your new cable company via broadband internet)?
post #338 of 385
All hardware products made by Apple will now include Bluetooth/WiFi.

A new iTunes BoomBox with WiFi to connect directly to iTunes on you computer. No iPod required, but it can accept an iPod either on the dock or with WiFi. Previously known as iPod HiFi.
iTunes already has a prefs setting to "Control iTunes from remote speaker".
post #339 of 385
I'm channeling the dearly departed Kormac here...

A= Apple
I= Intel
R=??????
When they said "Think Different", I ran with it.
When they said "Think Different", I ran with it.
post #340 of 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by murk View Post

I'm channeling the dearly departed Kormac here...

A= Apple
I= Intel
R=??????

oh god it's the i**** isn't it!

finally!

now, he can stop making plastics.
post #341 of 385
Jobs keynote notes leaked today?

http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/news/ne...h-leaked.phtml edit: Just look at the Mac Pro data and you'll see it's completely bogus.
post #342 of 385
That list is a big yawner. Esp. the OMT.
Nov 98 - Earliest Registered User on record
Jan 02 - Earliest iPad prediction
Nov 98 - Earliest Registered User on record
Jan 02 - Earliest iPad prediction
post #343 of 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Jobs keynote notes leaked today?
http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/news/ne...h-leaked.phtml edit: Just look at the Mac Pro data and you'll see it's completely bogus.

That has been on here for a couple of days now, and it is definitely fake seeing as the Mac Pro has already been upgraded, and with different specs to boot! Besides, the way it is written just indicates that it is the hopes and dreams of a fanboy.
post #344 of 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by sthiede View Post

That has been on here for a couple of days now, and it is definitely fake seeing as the Mac Pro has already been upgraded, and with different specs to boot! Besides, the way it is written just indicates that it is the hopes and dreams of a fanboy.

I saw that after the fact. I posted and then read it later.
post #345 of 385
And we have to remember that Apple won't likely come out with something real new, that will atke away from sales of any of their current products,

Now does that open the door for the "All New iTunes, AppleTV, Notebook, Newton, ipad, iWrite "

Now "In the Air" really does lend itself towards WiFi iPhone, AppleTV, iPod and other toys like this, now that Apple has (purchased) hooked up with?

So you can answer your phone, send emails, order your pizza, get directions and all of that kind of stuff, just about anywhere - (maybe even from AIRplanes without it causing a problem?)

Heck, maybe what's in the Air, is the sweet smell of success = sales of Apple products over the holiday season?

Maybe the not so sweet smell of S*&%%^T

Maybe you'll be able to order, and download your music, movies, books from anywhere, to anywhere?

So I get an email telling that "X" movie is now available for download - do I want to have it downloaded to my home, ready to watch when I get there?

Boy this guessing stuff is fun (yeah, way to much time on my hands)

I guess the good news is, by afternoon tomorrow - we'll all know, and we can then start guessing what will come out throughout the year

Skip
post #346 of 385
or be disappointed.
post #347 of 385
Apple just changed their home page. Oh yeah.
I never get tired of being right all the time... but I do get tired of having to prove it to you again and again.
I never get tired of being right all the time... but I do get tired of having to prove it to you again and again.
post #348 of 385
Here is my heretical approach: Maybe WiFi-enabled iPods/iPhones will be able to join "The Social"?
post #349 of 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolandG View Post

Here is my heretical approach: Maybe WiFi-enabled iPods/iPhones will be able to join "The Social"?

no
post #350 of 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by oweneck View Post

He's right, I've just had a look on the same website (The link to it can be found here also http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...&modelid=15604) but still confuses me, so is this "Air Mac" device going to be a new ultra-portable Macbook Pro option or just another stupid upgrade to the Airport Extreme?

"Air Mac" is what Apple call "Airport" in Japan. Airport was already a trademark for someone else's product.
post #351 of 385
I think fake but......

post #352 of 385
Stevie Jobs will say, "And there is one more thing" before he dons his oxygen mask and gasses the entire audience.

"We TOLD YOU: There's. Something. In. The. Air. Didn't you see the signs?"
post #353 of 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by msantti View Post

I think fake but......

"Apple air" wouldn't anything be with a capital A?

Apple air sounds like... well... maybe that Apple is now in control of our atmospheric supply of oxygen and nitrogen?
post #354 of 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolandG View Post

No. The three (four?) people on there would get too upset with all of us joining all of a sudden.
post #355 of 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by beingnickb View Post

So is the keynote speech tomorrow?

I thought it was today (Monday) for some reason...

So did I. Usually the keynote is on the first day and the MacWorld website says it started on the 14th.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msantti

I think fake but..

It has to be. That seems to be about ipod home or whatever it's called. Where you have your home folder on your ipod. Nothing whatsoever to do with air. Again they use a lower case 'a', which wouldn't happen on a product name.

The printing is also off-center and the reflection seems to suggest it was just a black banner.
post #356 of 385
I think it all boils down to the much anticipated Movie Rental Store.
But the good and important news there is that Apple announces
instant availability in Europe too.
An hour or so ago there was a press release discussing
Apple rental service in Germany and UK. Unfortunately the
article is pulled (by whom I'm wondering).
However, there is the link.German TV Series through iTMS.
" I will not commit anything to memory that I can get from another source . . . "
ALBERT EINSTEIN
" I will not commit anything to memory that I can get from another source . . . "
ALBERT EINSTEIN
post #357 of 385
We all got it wrong... THEY'RE LAUNCHING A NEW AIRLINE! Of course...

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #358 of 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Again they use a lower case 'a', which wouldn't happen on a product name.

Mac mini.
post #359 of 385
OK, so "Apple air" is Home on iPod OTA.

It's actually a delicious pun: It's taking what most other techies are calling the "cloud" and making it clear to people and transparent to use.

Ha. Ha.
"...within intervention's distance of the embassy." - CvB

Original music:
The Mayflies - Black earth Americana. Now on iTMS!
Becca Sutlive - Iowa Fried Rock 'n Roll - now on iTMS!
"...within intervention's distance of the embassy." - CvB

Original music:
The Mayflies - Black earth Americana. Now on iTMS!
Becca Sutlive - Iowa Fried Rock 'n Roll - now on iTMS!
post #360 of 385
It wouldn't be the first time that Apple introduced new technology to the masses. There was recently a story on slashdot about Sony: http://hardware.slashdot.org/article...42222&from=rss
Think of all your usb devices: printer, scanner, iPod, iPhone, Apple TV, external hard disks, flash drives, digital cameras and computer to computer. Less cable clutter (once the manufacturers adopt wireless USB). Wireless USB printers, scanners etc become network accessible devices without the need of a host computer. Steve Jobs - being a perfectionist - pays utmost attention at aesthetics, what looks cooler than the new iMac and a wireless keyboard? Imagine the printer and scanner and all the other USB gadgets without any cable mess on your desk (other than the power cord). Wireless sync of your iPhone and iPod, wireless sharing of your music library to another Mac or the home stereo (with a little wireless USB adapter). External hard disk for Time Machine, which quietly starts operating once the Macbook comes into range. According to Wikipedia this WUSB was standardized in 2005. This Wikipedia also explains the differences between Bluetooth and WUSB. Here the URL to Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_USB
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple hoists "There's something in the air" Macworld banners