or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple hoists "There's something in the air" Macworld banners

Apple hoists "There's something in the air" Macworld banners - Page 3

post #81 of 385
Quote:
There's something in the air

Sorry, I ate pepperoni

post #82 of 385
It's a Genesis special edition iPod with Phil Collins sharing the stage with Steve!
post #83 of 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottiB View Post

Obviously, Phil Collins is performing.

Excatly...with Crockett and Tubbs playing the drum part.
post #84 of 385
Yes! HoverBooks!
post #85 of 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacevator View Post

It will be a portable theme MWSF08. Portable MacTouch and MacBooks on Apple WiMax.

SPACEVATOR FTW!!!!

Thanks. That made me feel better.
post #86 of 385
My guess is that iTunes will support wireless syncing of content, contacts, calendar etc over home wifi and public wifi for iPhone and iPod touch (also over edge for iPhone).

Alex.
post #87 of 385
One idea the comes to mind is a MacBook without a hard-drive. Instead, it has a built in processor with an embedded web browser that "remotes" in to your Mac at home or office. Or, it could have a virtual OSX machine running in one of Apples servers that is your personal Mac.
post #88 of 385
This has been mentioned around: Mac OSX Leopard for PC's! That would be amazing, and would certainly throw everything up in the air.
post #89 of 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by confirmed View Post

the first thing that came to mind when i saw that banner: Cingular 3G BroadbandConnect built into all laptops, including the ultraportable.

Very close!
post #90 of 385
Adobe AIR will be the SDK for iPhone ... and then Apple will just go ahead and buy Adobe!
post #91 of 385
...WiMAx

-bijal

www.neuropimp.com
post #92 of 385
I am guessing wireless 1080p from AppleTV ][ to new monitors over UWB (or similar). The video is probably compressed which'd mean some kind of computation power in the monitor to decompress the mpeg stream. WiMax comes to mind too, but is less immediately sexy.
post #93 of 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbam987 View Post

This has been mentioned around: Mac OSX Leopard for PC's! That would be amazing, and would certainly throw everything up in the air.

Reality, you should check it out sometime.
post #94 of 385
"Its in the air" this means
1. Apple announces deals with asian telecoms
2. new 3g iphone but only for asia to start maybe in the usa by the end of the year or the start of next year. this hold up the apples promise to start shipping in Q1 of 08
3. New itunes with movie rentals
4. Major upgrade to the itv.
5. Macbook refresh and a sub notebook
6. they went after the 700mhz spectrum, plan on winning it so in 09 apple will leave at&t and start apple wireless ..haha yeah right
post #95 of 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexwaddell View Post

My guess is that iTunes will support wireless syncing of content, contacts, calendar etc over home wifi and public wifi for iPhone and iPod touch (also over edge for iPhone).

Alex.

no offense, but Big WOOP! The same with iTune rentals and AppleTV updates. Not enough for a banner that underscores the whole event.
post #96 of 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

Perhaps the new ultra-light portable(s) will have internet access everywhere via cell networks.

Brilliant. You're really on to something huge. Patent it. Quick.

(Now that I have got used to the iPhone, I have wondered why my MBP can't do all that my iPhone can, including making and receiving voice calls -- and I am not talking about Skype and such, which I think are suboptimal solutions).
post #97 of 385
The kicker could also be that you use your iPhone or iPod Touch to buy movies and other high def content, your home iTunes then downloads it and syncs to your apple tv automatically - all based around wireless syncing.

Alex.
post #98 of 385
I wonder what the new font is all about. Are these fakes or is Apple doing some sort of rebranding? Anyone know the name of that font because it looks something like the one MIcrosoft uses for Vista.
post #99 of 385
just imagine..... access your entire iTunes library over WiFi via iPhone/iPod touch and calendar/contact/photo syncing via WiFi/Bluetooh and the sharing WiFi via with .Mac and AirPort like Daniel Eran Dilger predicted.....am i wishing for a tad too much?
post #100 of 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by confirmed View Post

the first thing that came to mind when i saw that banner: Cingular 3G BroadbandConnect built into all laptops, including the ultraportable.

So people in all three covered cities can use it? I know they have the iPhone with AT&T, but for just a 3G card, EVDO verizon/sprint would be the best choice by far. They have coverage EVERYWHERE now!
post #101 of 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesP2009 View Post

I wonder what the new font is all about. Are these fakes or is Apple doing some sort of rebranding? Anyone know the name of that font because it looks something like the one MIcrosoft uses for Vista.

Myriad Set Light, a slight variation on their norm (http://img508.imageshack.us/my.php?image=myriadrd6.png) and MY GOD it is scarily like an MS font
post #102 of 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradwjensen View Post

Come on people, I think it's clear that it's a "Free-Floating MacThink!" The new Mac that floats in the air above your desk even more than the iMac does (this time literally) and you control it with your brain. :-P

I said that back in August and it still hasn't happened \

Maybe it will in a week
MacBook Pro 17" Glossy 2.93GHz, iPad 64GB, iPhone 4 16GB, and a lot of other assorted goodies.

If you're a troll and you have been slain. Don't be a Zombie.
MacBook Pro 17" Glossy 2.93GHz, iPad 64GB, iPhone 4 16GB, and a lot of other assorted goodies.

If you're a troll and you have been slain. Don't be a Zombie.
post #103 of 385
post #104 of 385
I'm with you on this. I think this has something to do with the iTunes movie rentals. Wi-Fi, internet TV, Apple TV and Vudu.

I think the clue here is the "testing" of YouTube on Apple TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPhelim View Post

more likely something about 3G/EDGE/new AirPort/WiMax/Apple buying that auctioned spectrum and doing something iPhon-y/.Mac-y like maybe 'connecting' Mac users anywhere.....sharing Wi-Fi?
post #105 of 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexwaddell View Post

The kicker could also be that you use your iPhone or iPod Touch to buy movies and other high def content, your home iTunes then downloads it and syncs to your apple tv automatically - all based around wireless syncing.

Alex.

Now that makes sense. And let's not stop there- the iPhone or iTouch also streams directly to the ATV,acts as the remote control to the ATV, surfs the web on the ATV, etc.
post #106 of 385
Apple has partnered with major airlines and is installing Wifi onboard that will support the iPhone for free.
post #107 of 385
WiMax would be HUGE! It could be in all of Apple's products that now use AirPort. It Apple TV had it, it could connect to a WiMax-equipped AT&T cell tower directly without using your home network. You could download movie rentals at 6 or 7Mbps. No need for DSL or cable.

An iPhone with WiMax would be several times faster than any 3G phone. Imagine the possibilities.
post #108 of 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjbraun View Post

Apple has partnered with major airlines and is installing Wifi onboard that will support the iPhone for free.

That isn't big enough for the giant posters.
post #109 of 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPhelim View Post

oh god, let's pray Steve doesn't do a Microsoft on us and start relentlessly propagating 'the cloud...'

interestingly, the font on those banners doesn't look like Myriad Set.....

Fear not, Apples adventures into the cloud always turn out lackluster and disappointing: eg DOTMac, Myspace, facebook, gmail, flickr, and such all fill the need for free

What adout the "starbucks itunes/phone store" OVER YEAR TO DEPLOY?!?!?!?! when every friggen site has wifi already?!?!?!?! give me a break

newton...

Has apple ever gotten the "cloud service" concept correct?
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
post #110 of 385
Please let it be the 3G iPhone ... don't make me wait 'til June!
post #111 of 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

SHUDDUP EVERONE!!!!! *breathes very hard for several seconds*
I'm still very angry at appleinsider's post about no mactouch this macworld.
About the only thing that would make up for that and my theory on the "theres something in the air" logo is the following:

APPLE HELPS GOOGLE WIN THE 700mhz SPECTRUM AUCTION!!
That would absolutely transform the wireless industry forever.
Think of the possibilities.

Somehow I don't think Google would need any help with that...It's not the money (on its own) thats the problem... If google wanted to they could pretty much out bit just about anyone for the spectrum in just about any market they so choose... Its more about what makes business sense. Sure you can pay 1B dollars for a sheet of paper... Does it make sense and would the share holders agree... thats the big problem. (yea the analogy pretty silly but you get the idea).

Quote:
Of the total 60 MHz, 24 MHz of the spectrum is reserved for public safety, while rest is going to be auctioned off. The auctions are expected to fetch $10 billion, though the total could hit the $30 billion mark.

Source: http://gigaom.com/2007/03/14/700mhz-explained/

If that report from last year is correct, Apple could cover 10 B with the cash it has in the bank... (last I heard anyway - correction make that 15B and change) Microsoft too could scap-up the spectrum... as could Google and quite a few other players... but again, it goes back to making business sense.

D
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
post #112 of 385
^^

It's not really that important for Apple to buy part of the spectrum, because it will be law that whoever does buy it, must allow any device access. There is quite a bit of expertise and resources to run and maintain the spectrum, and I don't think Apple has the resources or the interest to do that.
post #113 of 385
The font used in the new posters is Myriad. The Myriad Set has a number of varying weights, that result in different thickness in the stroke of each character.

As a typographer, I believe that the lighter stroke is used to allude to the notion of something weighing less, and can also be literally be interpreted to mean something wireless. In a sense, it might mean both, which could mean wireless products as well as light weight products.

Also, it's important to note that this is NOT new. Apple has been using varying strokes in the weight of their lettering for quite some time. In fact, if you point your browser to something such as the iPod Classic, you'll note the difference in weight between the Medium weight 'iPod' and the light weight 'Classic.'

Finally, it's rare that Apple tampers with it's logo. The identity is very important to the company and it seems that these posters have the bottom section of the logo cut off. I conjecture that as the Apple is usually placed strategically on items, giving it center, balance, and weight, by moving the logo partly off the page, you further play on the concept of things being in the sky. Which again supports the notion of WiFi or the likes.
-Dan
---------
"Don't just do something. Stand there"
-Dan
---------
"Don't just do something. Stand there"
post #114 of 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciscored View Post

That iphone looks different, the AT&T logo is 1/3 down the screen

It's one of those mechanical, rolling paper signs - like at the mall - not the video screen iPhone mock-ups at the Apple Stores. Looks like it got caught mid-scroll.
c l o n e n o d e
o n e o f m a n y
c l o n e n o d e
o n e o f m a n y
post #115 of 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galley View Post

It had better not be an AirPort Extreme update. I just ordered one from Best Buy for $152.99. I guess I can wait until Tuesday to open it.

Here's a hint...don't buy ANYTHING right before any of the big mac conferences. Bad timing on your part.
post #116 of 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by tykauffman View Post

environment.

It appears my ARGUABLY BRILLIANT POST may have been overlooked so I'll reply to it and expand on it:

"Apple plans to completely eliminate the use of arsenic in all of its displays by the end of 2008."
(http://www.apple.com/hotnews/agreenerapple/)

Therefore, the portable line will all have LED backlit screens. LED screens are mercury free and consume less power.

Keep in mind that energy your portable laptop consumes does affect the environment. Although seemingly nominal, it does add up .. and, more excitingly, the green image Steve is banking on does justify LED and NAND technology switches.

For a higher cost, NAND memory will provide the following benefits: Faster, lighter, smaller, quieter, cooler and, most notably, less energy. Keep in mind that Apple is a market mover business within the consumer and professional PC industry. A flash memory manufacture will likely be willing to discount the cost of a large bulk order of NAND memory by Apple in an effort to effectively kill the traditional hard drive, creating a boom in the flash memory market for them to cash in on.

As to the "Something is in the air" thing .. well .. put yourself in Steve's shoes and break the phrase down. It's a common phrase, alludes to something magical happening. Steve's a poet and often uses hints, tricks and double meaning in his key phrases and marketing phrases. And thus, we seek the deeper meaning; 2008 is the year of green.

w00t
post #117 of 385
Gets the rights to download movies over net as a result from Dish. Rolls the AppleTV and Sling products together.
post #118 of 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

Perhaps the new ultra-light portable(s) will have internet access everywhere via cell networks.

That was my first thought: an ultra-portable with 3G access to AT&T's network (synergy).

Well, actually my first thought was Apple finally perfected the "Minority Report" interface...
post #119 of 385
Something's in the air...
If they promote "wireless" as the overall topic, I guess Steve gives us an ecosystem including:

MacNano with built-in Apple Tv
Updated Airport Express
iTunes Movie rentals

...and since this is not big enough...

One more thing:
Either they've discovered that they could build an edge chip into every macbook and a 3G chip into every macbook pro. (incl. a reasonably priced AT&T data plan)...
Or the FON thing (which I personally would like über-more *g*).
post #120 of 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by danieldelaney View Post

The font used in the new posters is Myriad. The Myriad Set has a number of varying weights, that result in different thickness in the stroke of each character.

As a typographer, I believe that the lighter stroke is used to allude to the notion of something weighing less, and can also be literally be interpreted to mean something wireless. In a sense, it might mean both, which could mean wireless products as well as light weight products.

Also, it's important to note that this is NOT new. Apple has been using varying strokes in the weight of their lettering for quite some time. In fact, if you point your browser to something such as the iPod Classic, you'll note the difference in weight between the Medium weight 'iPod' and the light weight 'Classic.'

Finally, it's rare that Apple tampers with it's logo. The identity is very important to the company and it seems that these posters have the bottom section of the logo cut off. I conjecture that as the Apple is usually placed strategically on items, giving it center, balance, and weight, by moving the logo partly off the page, you further play on the concept of things being in the sky. Which again supports the notion of WiFi or the likes.

I noticed their use of Myriad Light right away also. It's really not good to use such a thin letterform against a solid black field. Even if Apple is doing this to emphasize a thinner something-or-other it seems a poor choice design-wise.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple hoists "There's something in the air" Macworld banners