or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Letdown?

Letdown? - Page 3

post #81 of 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicvalentine View Post

that's $3100.00

not counting the $500 time capsule you'll be buying with it.

and the $99 SuperDrive.
post #82 of 196
Quote:

damn, just damn.

I think the movie rentals could be about a dollar cheaper across the board.
HD's at $5.00? c'mon really?

Time Capsule sounds sweet though, It's definitely a must purchase with the Air. bringing the cost up for a new lacking laptop to $2k. That's not including the new Mac Pro i'll have to purchase with it (hehe)

I wouldn't use the Time Capsule for just that. I'd use the Server grade HDD for database, web and mail services.
post #83 of 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

and the $99 SuperDrive.

touché
post #84 of 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpiddly View Post

im rather sad about no macbook pro update

NO KIDDING! Don't get me wrong, the Macbook Air is a cool niche product and everything, but the Pro is supposed to be the top of the line! And now the Air has new features that the Pro doesn't (multi-touch track pad for one) and the Pro doesn't even get a effing update? No speed bump? NOTHING??????? WTF?
post #85 of 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by opnsource View Post

NO KIDDING! Don't get me wrong, the Macbook Air is a cool niche product and everything, but the Pro is supposed to be the top of the line! And now the Air has new features that the Pro doesn't (multi-touch track pad for one) and the Pro doesn't even get a effing update? No speed bump? NOTHING??????? WTF?

Yeah, I'm with you on that. I think they're going to hear for this one. C'mon, this is like the World Series, not the conference finals.
post #86 of 196
Perhaps someone can tell me what echange rate they are using on the French Applestore too?

Starting at 1699 Euro!!!! That is $2600.. for the base model!!! LOL (again)
post #87 of 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishyesque View Post

Can someone explain to me why the stock is down?

Because they did not update the entire lineup of notebooks. Had they added the multi-touch to both the Macbook and the Macbook Pro and changed the keyboard on the Pro so that the entire line had some semblance of continuity, it probably would have risen.

This Macworld Keynote, overall, was a little bit of a disappointment for a lot of people, and the market is reflecting it.
post #88 of 196
Quote:

So how long do we get to keep this temporary insanity?

Until Jobs retires.
post #89 of 196
Quote:

Does anybody know anything about the audio on the air? I didnt see any speakers. Is it headphones only? Guess I can run it through that new fancy time capsule

Good riddance. Laptop speakers blow.
post #90 of 196
It's too bad as I was hoping (again) for a Mac Mini / Nano update.

I guess that older Mac Mini i've been eyeing up is looking better and better...
post #91 of 196
Quote:

Give it a couple weeks! Is this your first Macworld??
post #92 of 196
Quote:

Because they did not update the entire lineup of notebooks. Had they added the multi-touch to both the Macbook and the Macbook Pro and changed the keyboard on the Pro so that the entire line had some semblance of continuity, it probably would have risen.

This Macworld Keynote, overall, was a little bit of a disappointment for a lot of people, and the market is reflecting it.

Erm ...

1) History dictates that AAPL drops after keynote.
2) US Economy is in the shits, right now.
"Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell
"Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell
post #93 of 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiopollution View Post

Erm ...

2) US Economy is in the shits, right now.

Any signs of it ever getting better?

Sighhhh
post #94 of 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karelia View Post

MacBook Air... we gotz it.

No, but I wish. Lame name for it, but I'm impressed with the unit itself.

My thoughts exactly. I want it, but that is a dumb as hell name.

MacBook Pro 15" | Intel Core2 Duo 2.66GHz | 320GB HDD | OS X v10.9
Black/Space Grey iPad Air with Wi-Fi & LTE | 128GB | On 4GEE
White iPhone 6 | 64GB | On 3UK

MacBook Pro 15" | Intel Core2 Duo 2.66GHz | 320GB HDD | OS X v10.9
Black/Space Grey iPad Air with Wi-Fi & LTE | 128GB | On 4GEE
White iPhone 6 | 64GB | On 3UK

post #95 of 196
Anyone noticed the Built in battery yet?

No hot swapping on trips or when the battery gives up?

/Sigh stupid stupid stupid.
post #96 of 196
Quote:

Any signs of it ever getting better?

Sighhhh

For Apple yes,

For USA economy, nope. Until Bush stays on power, you can forget about getting better.
MacPro 12 core
30" & 23" Apple Cinema HD Displays
PowerBook G4 550, MacBook Pro 2.2
Ipod 1G and 5G, Shuffle 2G, iPhone 3G
MacPro 12 core
30" & 23" Apple Cinema HD Displays
PowerBook G4 550, MacBook Pro 2.2
Ipod 1G and 5G, Shuffle 2G, iPhone 3G
post #97 of 196
..And it smells like sht!

I agree the laptop speakers lick balls, but I do like to be notified when I get mail, etc. I kinda like that sound.
post #98 of 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post

Anyone noticed the Built in battery yet?

No hot swapping on trips or when the battery gives up?

/Sigh stupid stupid stupid.

Yeah, that's a joke.

I'm always switching batteries too.
post #99 of 196
Quote:

Are we heading for one..?

I think it was a great Keynote.

1. I never was impressed with Apple TV but I will get one NOW!

2. I never needed an airport basestation but I am going to get one NOW.

3. The AIR looks sweet! I would get one if I needed one.

4. The software updates to the iPhone are great!

5. Where is Apeture 2.0???? Oh well, it does what I need it to do!
post #100 of 196
Quote:

I agree the laptop speakers lick balls, but I do like to be notified when I get mail, etc. I kinda like that sound.

It has mono sound in a very small speaker. That is all. I don't even listen to music on my laptop speakers now.
MacBook Pro C2D 2.4GHz and a battle-scarred PowerBook G4 1.33GHz

"When you gaze long into a dead pixel, the dead pixes gazes also into you"

post #101 of 196
THe cost of replacing batteries will probably not be a problem for people/corporations dropping $3000 on the machine. Swapping will be.

post #102 of 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

The other 90% of the market will not compare it to the TZ and call it overpriced and under performing.

They'll either choose the MacBook or MacBook Pro.

Convenience for fanatics who want a computer to resemble a piece of paper should be tickled pink.

Dead on!
You need skeptics, especially when the science gets very big and monolithic. -James Lovelock
The Story of Stuff
You need skeptics, especially when the science gets very big and monolithic. -James Lovelock
The Story of Stuff
post #103 of 196
Awesome! An 1800 dollar disposable laptop.

No user replaceable battery = complete fuckup.
"Humankind -- despite its artistic pretensions, its sophistication, and its many accomplishments -- owes its existence to a six-inch layer of topsoil and the fact that it rains."
"Humankind -- despite its artistic pretensions, its sophistication, and its many accomplishments -- owes its existence to a six-inch layer of topsoil and the fact that it rains."
post #104 of 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpiddly View Post

im rather sad about no macbook pro update

That could come next Tues. Remember that Mac Pros were updated last Tues. Penryn MBPs seem a no-brainer, esp with these new MBAir chips Intel just made custom for Apple. But Steve prolly didn't want any other laptop news infringing on his "boom" on the MBAir.

btw, When they mentioned the custom Intel chips, I flashed back to the ugly years of being a sideshow market for Motorolla... So nice to have a chipmaker that works *with* Apple!
apple gets "it."
apple gets "it."
post #105 of 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by theapplegenius View Post

Awesome! An 1800 dollar disposable laptop. No user replaceable battery = complete fuckup.

Is the battery soldered to the motherboard? If not, a savvy user can likely replace it. Or pay a service tech to do so for $100.

For ref, my rev D MBP battery is two years old now and still at 88% health.

Anyone buying a MBAir over a MB/MBP is doing so for the svelte size. They are already giving up a lot of functionality, so likely not worried about $100 to swap in a new battery every 3-4 years.
apple gets "it."
apple gets "it."
post #106 of 196
Quote:

Yeah, that's a joke. I'm always switching batteries too.

Yeah, this is a factor. But with in-seat power on flights, outlets in airports, car chargers, and as a failsafe external powerpack chargers, there are many options to keep charged these days.

Ten years ago, I used to carry 2-3 batteries with my Wallstreet G3. Now I just use the one in my MBP and charge it whenever possible.

Unless you're working on-site in an environment with no outlets/hookups, it's less of an issue than it was in the 90s, yes?
apple gets "it."
apple gets "it."
post #107 of 196
I noticed, the RAM is not upgradable either...

I am thinking this is more and more a 'toy' disposable laptop somehow. I can't see many Power users (I include myself in that) wanting to buy one for serious work.

I mean, I just specced out a white (middle 2.2gig White) Macbook with all the BTO options on the French site, and it works out $400 cheaper than the Macbook air!

Yes the Air is smaller, but feature wise, is worse in every way... is it being paper thin really cool enough to justify such a huge drop in usability for a much higher price?
post #108 of 196
The crybabies are it again because Apple didn't meet their dreams and wishes, I guess they know more than the people running Apple who have managed to transform the company to what it is today.
post #109 of 196
the specks say the is a speaker on it.
post #110 of 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by imiloa View Post

Is the battery soldered to the motherboard? If not, a savvy user can likely replace it. Or pay a service tech to do so for $100.

For ref, my rev D MBP battery is two years old now and still at 88% health.

Anyone buying a MBAir over a MB/MBP is doing so for the svelte size. They are already giving up a lot of functionality, so likely not worried about $100 to swap in a new battery every 3-4 years.

What if they want an extended life battery so they can get more than 5 hours?
post #111 of 196
Quote:

I'm mad as hell myself as i'm far far away form US right now and a friend of mine that will fly back in 3 weeks would have been my only hope for a new MBP . .. now what ??
Surely i am going to call myself lucky if they pop out an upgrade in 2 weeks/ available IN STORES as well/

Quote:

The air has a single speaker ..as someone already mentioned ,don't bother. \
post #112 of 196
Quote:

Give it a couple weeks! Is this your first Macworld??

damn, i count on it !!! .. but i can only wait till the end of January.
post #113 of 196
Quote:
What if they want an extended life battery so they can get more than 5 hours?

Then it would be thicker and heavier and defeat the entire purpose of
the product!!

Anyone who doesn't understand why Apple designed this they way they did -- is NOT a customer for this product. It is not supposed to be something that the average notebook user should pore over and declare it to be too expensive or not have 5 USB ports or complain that they can't watch a DVD on it. If you are evaluating it like that, then you don't understand what it is for, and you don't need it, and Apple didn't make it for you.

There was even one guy who complained BOTH that the screen was too big AND that there weren't enough ports on it. WTF?? It's always utterly amazing to see the posts where people run down the list of features, find the ones that are missing, and immediately bitch about it without understanding why those features are missing.
--Johnny
--Johnny
post #114 of 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiopollution View Post

Erm ...

And therefore, a buying opportunity.

The numbers will roll in on 2007, these announcements will take off moving forward.

Think about it, the towers came out before the keynote to focus on Air & iTunes movies, the rest of the line will freshen over time, keeping Apple in the headlines, and you'll kick yourself 6 months down the road for not buying Apple stock Now.

That $200 price target is no joke, and it'll probably go higher.
post #115 of 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by lundy View Post

Then it would be thicker and heavier and defeat the entire purpose of
the product!!

Anyone who doesn't understand why Apple designed this they way they did -- is NOT a customer for this product. It is not supposed to be something that the average notebook user should pore over and declare it to be too expensive or not have 5 USB ports or complain that they can't watch a DVD on it. If you are evaluating it like that, then you don't understand what it is for, and you don't need it, and Apple didn't make it for you.

There was even one guy who complained BOTH that the screen was too big AND that there weren't enough ports on it. WTF?? It's always utterly amazing to see the posts where people run down the list of features, find the ones that are missing, and immediately bitch about it without understanding why those features are missing.

Bingo. This guy gets it.
post #116 of 196
$99 Superdrive addon - ripoff
PATA drive, at 4200 RPM no less. Reverting back to the dark ages?
Should have had a 32GB SSD options as well, since people can use the TimeCapsule thingy.
12" Powerbook|1.5GHz|Maxed Out
Harpertown Mac Pro (3-5 week delay)
^Graphics obsolete in 512 days!^
12" Powerbook|1.5GHz|Maxed Out
Harpertown Mac Pro (3-5 week delay)
^Graphics obsolete in 512 days!^
post #117 of 196
Letdown? Hell yes.
No mac mini update.
'Our new laptop costs $100000000, but it's really thin!'
$20 for touch update? are you shitting me? unlock functionality I already invested in. thats bullshit. not all ipod touch users are kids dicking around on the internet. not all people are willing to pay. total BS.

Apple TV on the other hand -- nice!!
post #118 of 196
Most disappointing Macworld I can ever remember. Time Capsule is kind of cool, but the rest was a complete waste of time.
post #119 of 196
Would you people please remember that not everything is mentioned in the keynote? I don't know where this assumption comes from, because almost every year the speed bumps and minor upgrades always come either in the last 2 weeks of January or in February.

- There will never be iPod talk in January; those are updated before the holiday season. Even if there were a 16 GB update to the iPod, it isn't important enough for the keynote address. Time is limited.

- Updates and speed bumps to the mini and the MacBook Pro, if any, will happen as a press release or not even mentioned at all. Steve spending time talking about Penryn is a waste. Processors always get faster. Not newsworthy. More RAM, bigger HD, different GPU, latest Intel processor. Yawn. iMacs are brand-new. Even if they get Penryn it is not something to announce at MacWorld.

They had 3 new products - Apple TV, the NAS, and the MacBook Air, plus iTS video rentals and MS Office 2008. There is no time to talk about the MBP getting a Penryn processor. It will get it when it gets it.
--Johnny
--Johnny
post #120 of 196
Personally I'm happy with the Keynote. I would have liked a 16 gig iPhone, but I can wait for that one.

Basically Steve was able to do what he wanted to do TODAY. Hit 4 areas where he wanted Apple to generate revenues- along with the introduction of a new form factor for the notebooks.

There will be plenty of time during the rest of the year for more introductions and I expect them as soon as they are ready. Supply channels cleared, production ramped up and new products delivered on a steady stream.

There is also supposed to be an announcement at another show as soon as MWSF is done so we will continue to see new stuff continue to roll out.
Ken
Ken
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Letdown?