or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iPhone Software v1.1.3 enhances Maps, SMS, more...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

iPhone Software v1.1.3 enhances Maps, SMS, more... - Page 2

post #41 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by othello View Post

getting back on track...

any UK iphone users getting the location feature on google maps to work? it keeps coming back saying cannot pinpoint for me...

Working ok for me
post #42 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by suhail View Post

Apple can't even catchup to current iPhone hacks. I must admit though the Google maps features are nice.

Who says their trying to, or even want to. I just cleared off all hacks from my iPhone. They added little value (I never used but 1 - the ebook reader) and they screwed it up several times taking up tons of my time to figure out.

1) One version of Summerboard would crash the system constantly, unless you disabled the wallpaper dimming feature (2 days to figure that one out)

2) My sound volume has been low for some time. After clean out, restore, and upgrade all is fine. Don't know how much time that took up trying to figure out (and failing)

3) At some point something screwed my iPod preferences so all albums/playlists would play shuffled, irrespective of the preference setting. Now here, of course, I could ssh in an delete it to fix it but, of course, that's a somewhat circular benefit.

4) Several times I've finally figured out that something runs constantly in the background eating battery. I run out in a couple of hours (without much actual use) and the back is warm.

Not good benefit for the price. The price was my time and the benefit close to none.
post #43 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcloki View Post

If it's not a lot of money then send me and every other poster on this site 20 bucks. As I've stated before. I am an adult Apple. If there is a legal reason for you doing this then explain it to me. I'm a big boy I can handle the truth. It just doesn't make sense to me. It's inconsistent behaviour on Apple's part. And i will be the thing that is remembered from this Keynote. The MBA is nice but forgettable. It a laptop with less features and a bigger price. Nothing new here, moving on.
The $20 charge on the other hand go to the heart of how Apple treats its customers. It's going to revive the iPhone pricing change controversy.
I predict that the outcry from the internet is going to do two things.
1. Make Apple relent and offer the upgrade for free,
2. Have plenty of sites showing touch owners how to get the apps for free, thereby getting $20 worth of apps through illegal means.

3. I'm sure there will be talk of a lawsuit of some sort, but it's America so I'll mention it but discount it.

I can't argue with your Zen attitude as I try to have one as well. But sometimes you just feel taken advantage of and this is one of those times.

If the $20 is all you are going to remember from this, then that says more about you, then it does about Apple.

Would it have been nicer to have charged nothing? Sure!

does business work that way? No.

I don't know why they did this, but I wouldn't cry about it. If it's too much, don't buy it.
post #44 of 56
Quote:
MWExpo was probably one of the most disappointing ones. This mediocre iPhone update is missing many basic features such as: voice-recording, video-capture, voice-dialing. WTF

As long as Apple continues regular app updates then this is a great one. But if we go another 6 months with no more updates then 1.1.3 was OK but not earth shattering.

We should certainly see some type of update next month with the SDK.

Now I'm thinking its more likely than not we won't have a major OS changes (copy-paste, system wide search, etc) until iPhone OS version 2.

Quote:
I'm a big boy I can handle the truth. It just doesn't make sense to me. It's inconsistent behaviour on Apple's part.

It may be that mobile phone profit sharing is paying for these software updates. So if you have an iPhone the software is payed for. If you have an Touch you have to pay what the iPhone user has already payed for.

Quote:
Apple can't even catchup to current iPhone hacks. I must admit though the Google maps features are nice.

Apple isn't in competition with the iPhone hacks.

Quote:
I just cleared off all hacks from my iPhone. They added little value (I never used but 1 - the ebook reader) and they screwed it up several times taking up tons of my time to figure out.

Its not really an organized development structure. So it seems easy for it have conflicting software. Not to mention how easy it would be to create spyware and trojans.
post #45 of 56
If Apple closes that security hole that allows these hacks in the first place, then there will be howling from that community.

But, at some time I expect Apple will do it.

The hacking community can't fairly complain, even though they will, because they are taking advantage of something that should be fixed.

Then what will they do?

This is why relying on these hacks for software, and features, is a very bad thing.

You should never rely on some feature that relies on a security hole that will be plugged at some point in time.

If you do, you're setting yourself up for disappointment, and you will have no right to complain about it.
post #46 of 56
The addition of lyrics is welcome and very well done, knew my hours of playing with pearlyrics weren't wasted!
post #47 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by googleplex View Post

The addition of lyrics is welcome and very well done, knew my hours of playing with pearlyrics weren't wasted!

pearlyrics FTW!
post #48 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWThomas View Post

I think you guys may be missing the point about the $20 for the Touch. Wouldn't you need a data plan to use the additional features offered in the Touch update? They said that with this update the touch will basically be an iPhone without the phone. The data plan for the iPhone is $20. Why would the Touch be any different.

It still will not work over an att edge network
post #49 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by drnat View Post

Working ok for me

I have tried it out ten times in different places.

I am quite impressed by how accurate the location feature. In my home city - the circle is about a 200 metres across, and at the centre of the circle - is exactly where I am at! You could pinpoint the location to within one or two houses.

Tried it in a different city, inside a mall, and got a bigger, 1km radius. Not as accurate. But useful nonetheless.

This isn't GPS, it isn't continuous and takes a few seconds to do the location. But it's a really welcome addition .

C.
post #50 of 56
I think the rentals thing is the biggest rip of we have seen so far. I dont know how much it will translate to in £ but even if its like £1.50 thats still a rip off. You can rent a DVD from wherever for £2.99 and just rip it into a much bigger format from which if you want encode to iphone format. And anyway so many people download DVD rips these days anyway I dont see the point. They should have at least not restricted the play time to 24 hours.
post #51 of 56
I wouldn't worry, we all know that Bav is always wrong.

You get used to it and simply disregard whatever he says.

By the way, on another note. an article in the Times says that the reason why we have 24 hours to watch the movie once we start is because the studios didn't want to antagonize the cable and satellite companies whose pay for view also allows 24 hours to view. Makes sense for them.

The reason why movies won't be available for 30 days after the DVD comes out is because Walmart, Target, and others protested, to help preserve their own DVD sales. We'll see how long that lasts.
post #52 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I wouldn't worry, we all know that Bav is always wrong.

You get used to it and simply disregard whatever he says.

Duly noted. I'll try to do that from here on. Thanks, melgross.
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

By the way, on another note. an article in the Times says that the reason why we have 24 hours to watch the movie once we start is because the studios didn't want to antagonize the cable and satellite companies whose pay for view also allows 24 hours to view. Makes sense for them.

The reason why movies won't be available for 30 days after the DVD comes out is because Walmart, Target, and others protested, to help preserve their own DVD sales. We'll see how long that lasts.

That makes sense to me. The studios have well established (and profitable) deals with those companies. They probably worked hard to make sure Apple could join the movie rental club, without taking control of it. Once Apple gave more than 24 hours to watch a rental movie, or some other clear advantage, it wouldn't be long before people would demand that other services, such as cable pay per view, did the same.
post #53 of 56
The updates are pretty cool, but I'd really, really like a bulk mail delete.
post #54 of 56
I just noticed that, since upgrading to 1.1.3, pages no longer need to reload when moving back or forward in Safari! This was a frustrating limitation in v1.1.2 and below, I'm glad Apple has addressed this. Also, it now even remembers page & zoom position when moving back or forward. Nice.
post #55 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDraden View Post

I just noticed that, since upgrading to 1.1.3, pages no longer need to reload when moving back or forward in Safari! This was a frustrating limitation in v1.1.2 and below, I'm glad Apple has addressed this. Also, it now even remembers page & zoom position when moving back or forward. Nice.

That's weird, pages didn't always need to reload for me, and it always remembered the page and zoom positions on my iPhone
post #56 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmAn View Post

That's weird, pages didn't always need to reload for me, and it always remembered the page and zoom positions on my iPhone

Hmm... I thought it was a known bug. Perhaps it was just a problem with my phone.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iPhone Software v1.1.3 enhances Maps, SMS, more...