or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple's new MacBook Air dubbed world’s thinnest notebook

Apple's new MacBook Air dubbed world’s thinnest notebook - Page 3

post #81 of 400
I'm sold. It's exactly what I wanted, but man does that price sting... $2k for the base model with AppleCare and a SuperDrive... AppleCare is really a must with this thing and its non-user replaceable battery... \ I love it, but I was hoping to end up at like $1700 out the door...

If you just ordered post up in the I just ordered thread at macbookairforum.com.
post #82 of 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo Decosta View Post

I don't really get that thinnest hype. It used to be "less is more" but now less is just much less. It might be art but I don't really get why someone would buy this. It looks nice but no drive, such a small hard drive lack of firewire and a slow processor compared to a mbp. Who buys this kinda stuff anyway?

Without Melgross's snark, the people who are going to buy this are people who move around a lot.

Apple's specialty is figuring out what a large percentage of the population needs, and giving it to them in a nice package. The MacBook Air is targeted towards people who don't need FireWire, or a DVD drive, or even Ethernet. FireWire is on the way out for non-professionals.

Most people looking to buy the MBA probably have an older computer with a DVD drive. They also can probably afford a $50 wireless router. People moving from an old desktop PC to a laptop want to accentuate the advantages of the laptop. Weight is a huge factor. A 3 lb laptop with 5 hours of battery that is ultra-thin accentuates the portability. Really, smaller size isn't a big deal. Once you're above pocket size, you either need a back-pack or a carrying case. It's weight that's the killer. I know college kids who buy the Dell, and they have some mammoth 9lb computer that's 3 inches thick. They use maybe an iPod and/or a printer, so 1 USB is no biggie. Most campuses or workplaces or libraries or coffee shops have wireless, and homes are getting wireless as time goes by. Not every home has it, but for the sort of people this is targeted towards, wireless is no big deal.

Actually, given the Time Capsule, you don't need a second computer. It's a wireless router + HDD. You can probably use an external USB DVD drive with it, even a cheap one.
post #83 of 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiopollution View Post

I'd watch who you're dissing. Programmer is not someone to take lightly.

lol ok. I'll keep an eye out for the forum police. I wouldn't want to be flamed by a programmer who speaks in terms of floppy disks, the world wide web and cyber space.
post #84 of 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by S10 View Post

No, did you have a look at the competition's prices? Like Sony?

No. But that's my point exactly...
OK, can I have my matte Apple display, now?
post #85 of 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorre View Post

Anybody care to explain what the PATA (Parallel ATA) of the 80gig HD means?
I know what parallel vs serial is technically but I want to know the (dis)avantages of this specific thing over SATA.

PATA is just parallel ATA, whereas SATA is serial ATE.

For slower drives there's no advantage in going SATA. For faster busses and drives SATA can be both faster, and cheaper.
post #86 of 400
Anyone else notice that is has an integrated battery. You can't remove it. It is internal. I wonder if that means a really expensive replacement. Of course it also means you can't buy two and swap them on long trips....
post #87 of 400
Yeah, that sucks. Who in the hell would want to send in their notebook for a battery replacement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by riversky View Post

Anyone else notice that is has an integrated battery. You can't remove it. It is internal. I wonder if that means a really expensive replacement. Of course it also means you can't buy two and swap them on long trips....
post #88 of 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

After the Mac Pro announcement, I didn't really expect any updates to their current machines.

I feel like they've done this before. Announce something brand new at the keynote, and in 4-6 weeks, after the dust settles, other machines get their speed bumps.

The Mac Pro was only announced right away because it was in such desperate need of an upgrade.

The pro announcement was made early because that got it out of the way, so that Jobs needed to only spend one sentence on it. For all the other machines, it's a disappointment. While Apple might release them in the near future, it leaves things up in the air.

Even if they will be announced for the end of the month, that;s only two weeks away. Apple has announced machines a month before they became available. I don't understand this one.
post #89 of 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosstheboss View Post

ONE usb port?! How do i run Logic with an FW audio interface and an external drive FW800 ?!

maybe with a USB HUB?
post #90 of 400
Quote:

I'd watch who you're dissing. Programmer is not someone to take lightly.

Amen to that.
post #91 of 400
Quote:

It's your lucky day!

Apple have made available a machine called the Macbook Pro.

Check it out, you'll be impressed.

post #92 of 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by success View Post

What era are you from? 50 million floppy disks? Who cares. 64+ GB is nothing today. You can't compare from back when. Yeah, there was a time when 5megs was considered big. But only then and no other time. Today 120GB drives are standard and 500GB drives are common.

For your main computer, you are right, but you are missing the point.

If you want a laptop that is going to hold all your music, movies and photos, do not get the MBA. Get a MB or MBP with a large drive.
It is that simple.

This computer is for someone who needs or wants a device that they can carry from place to place easily. It is not designed to be the only computer you own (unless all you do is surf the net). Still, it is a relatively full function computer with a small size and a medium high price tag.

If it does not suit your needs, get another laptop or a desktop. Why complain if it is not the machine that you want? Especially since the machine you aparently want would be rediculously expensive for its speed. (or do you want a Penryn processor too...)
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
--e.e.c.
post #93 of 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by raszi View Post

maybe with a USB HUB?

Erm. Nope. But all isn't lost for the OP ...

Again, Apple have already thought about this and offer a couple of options:

1) Macbook
2) Macbook Pro

That's pretty smart of them!
"Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell
"Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell
post #94 of 400
Quote:

What era are you from? 50 million floppy disks? Who cares. 64+ GB is nothing today. You can't compare from back when. Yeah, there was a time when 5megs was considered big. But only then and no other time. Today 120GB drives are standard and 500GB drives are common.

Machines like this aen't going to be used for the reasons other machines are. 80GB is more than enough. 64GB SSD is so expensive (though Apple's upgrade price is, for once, reasonable, that 128 would have been entirely out of the question, being about $3,000 retail.

Larger HDD's would have consumed more power, and Apple though it a reasonable tradeoff.

I agree.
post #95 of 400
1. What is the weight saving with SSD vs. traditional hard drive? (Was 3.0 lbs SSD and the 1.8 is heavier or that the SSD brings it down under 3.0?)

2. What is the difference in battery life between the SSD and the traditional HDD? SSDs are nice because they are lighter and use less juice, does this get us around 6 or 7 hours of use?

3. Anyone know if they have floor models in their stores even if they do not ship for 2 weeks?

4. Anyone wonder why they are not narrower given the excess space on either side of the screen?

5. Wonder what the sound is like? Where are the speakers?

6. Curious on the size of the power adapter. Said 45w power adapter as opposed to 65 and 80 for the MB and MBP respectively as I recall.
post #96 of 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by raszi View Post

maybe with a USB HUB?

Awesome first post.
post #97 of 400
Quote:

ONE usb port?! How do i run Logic with an FW audio interface and an external drive FW800 ?!

I believe your thinking is really screwed up on this. No product is for everyone or fit every need, so don't assume such, don't try to cram a round peg into a square hole. Besides, FW audio interfaces aren't that common. If you need to run one, get a MBP.
post #98 of 400
The announcement that I was tipped-off about didn't actually materialise.

But I was told that it would happen 'in the next few days' rather than today, so there's still time yet. I suspect that it'll be a small button announcement (if even that), so it shouldn't detract too much from the MacBook Air on the home page.
post #99 of 400
Quote:

64 GB is nothing? Wow.

Sure, if you're going to load a trillion photos - or a few hundred movies, you might run out of space. But this portable is going to appeal to business people who are tired of lugging 7 lb laptops through airports. I don't know a single business person (other than graphics designers) with more than about 30 GB of data on their system -- and the vast majority have just a few GB.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #100 of 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

The pro announcement was made early because that got it out of the way, so that Jobs needed to only spend one sentence on it. For all the other machines, it's a disappointment. While Apple might release them in the near future, it leaves things up in the air.

Indeed it does. I'm left thinking the next MacBook Pro should have the Air's keyboard and trackpad too.

Quote:

Even if they will be announced for the end of the month, that;s only two weeks away. Apple has announced machines a month before they became available. I don't understand this one.

Supposedly Penryn chips are in short supply due to a manufacturing problem. Perhaps Apple had the new MBP ready but are waiting on better supplies. Perhaps they also just didn't want to grab the limelight away from the Air too.
post #101 of 400
I was like totally hip on this new laptop. Talk about innovations put into this thing. The remote optical disk is just pure genius. I also think the multi-touch pad is a great addition and could be very useful. The enclosure mimics a design from the iPod line the way it curves around the edges. Looks great.

The only thing I do find disappointing in this is that it is using a 4200 PATA (Parallel) drive instead of using SATA. Why? You know there is a performance hit on that and that's where the bottleneck is going to be. Why did Apple decide to put a drive in that uses PATA. Even the Macbook uses SATA.

It also appears that it is not upgradeable with ram or HD. not that you would need to upgrade the memory since it comes with 2GB stndrd but just for any reason at all I wonder what the upgrade capabilities are.

EDIT: I just found out you cannot even remove the battery out from the laptop. From Apple it is not a user replaceable part. WHAT?
post #102 of 400
Quote:

It's your lucky day!

Apple have made available a machine called the Macbook Pro.

Check it out, you'll be impressed.

yeah, you're right, it was in response to someone who said "So, even though it doesn't carry the moniker of "Pro", it clearly is in that line."

so i agree with you, Pro for a Pro...
post #103 of 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

The announcement that I was tipped-off about didn't actually materialise.

But I was told that it would happen 'in the next few days' rather than today, so there's still time yet. I suspect that it'll be a small button announcement (if even that), so it shouldn't detract too much from the MacBook Air on the home page.

Which announcement was that? I don't recall reading your post.
post #104 of 400
Quote:

lol ok. I'll keep an eye out for the forum police. I wouldn't want to be flamed by a programmer who speaks in terms of floppy disks, the world wide web and cyber space.

Good one, that.
post #105 of 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucci View Post

I'm a bit dissapointed. While I think it looks really nice, the price doesn't justify the specs. I'm sure there will be some people who drop $1799 (minimum) for the cool factor, however.

Anyone think there will ever be a 2nd revision?

Of course they'll be a revision. How many Apple productsor any tech company for that matterhaven't revised their products?

What do you mean the price doesn't justify the specs? If I look at any desktop machine specs and price and then at a notebook the price will not justify the "specs". Small form factor machines always cost more than other models. This machine is a niche market item; that niche seems to be growing but it's still a niche, just the same.

It looks like the battery is not user-replaceable. That will surely piss off some people.

PS: I was wrong. I didn't think the banner would correlate directly to any product.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #106 of 400
I haven't gotten any work done this morning
post #107 of 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Programmer View Post

Let's see... somebody who doesn't need an optical drive (why, when you have a network?), doesn't need a lot of disk space (remember, 64+ GB is actually a lot of data... 50 million floppy disks or so), doesn't use firewire peripherals, and who doesn't do anything particularly processor intensive.

That actually describes a very large number of people, probably most of the computer buying market. The real question is how many of them want to spend $1800+ for a pretty thin notebook (or is that "a pretty, thin" notebook?).

I think the computer would be a better machine with the option to upgrade ram and removable battery. Battery life would be nice.

With that said, you are correct. People are missing the point. This machine is not for video capturing/editing/3d modeling for the international space station. It is for Pro's. Video people are not the only professinals in business. Professionals. People who run companies like CEO, CFO, etc. that need lightweight and portability with little hassle. Essentially, this is a throw away machine for the people who can afford it.
Hard-Core.
Hard-Core.
post #108 of 400
Quote:

Which announcement was that? I don't recall reading your post.

Thank you, I was wondering what I missed...
--e.e.c.
--e.e.c.
post #109 of 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCMacFan View Post

1. What is the weight saving with SSD vs. traditional hard drive? (Was 3.0 lbs SSD and the 1.8 is heavier or that the SSD brings it down under 3.0?)

2. What is the difference in battery life between the SSD and the traditional HDD? SSDs are nice because they are lighter and use less juice, does this get us around 6 or 7 hours of use?

3. Anyone know if they have floor models in their stores even if they do not ship for 2 weeks?

4. Anyone wonder why they are not narrower given the excess space on either side of the screen?

6. Curious on the size of the power adapter. Said 45w power adapter as opposed to 65 and 80 for the MB and MBP respectively as I recall.

When the store is back up, a lot of that will be there.
post #110 of 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Of course they'll be a revision. How many Apple productsor any tech company for that matterhaven't revised their products?

How can you answer this question and without mentioning invisible gas generators
--e.e.c.
--e.e.c.
post #111 of 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

Indeed it does. I'm left thinking the next MacBook Pro should have the Air's keyboard and trackpad too.

Me too.

Quote:
Supposedly Penryn chips are in short supply due to a manufacturing problem. Perhaps Apple had the new MBP ready but are waiting on better supplies. Perhaps they also just didn't want to grab the limelight away from the Air too.

There have been rumors to that effect, but nothing from Intel has verified it.

I also figure they didn't want to spoil the announcement.

But he could have given us some notification in a "just one more thing, Penyrn will be in updated machines in the next few weeks."

Or something like that.

I just hope we won't have to wait until NAB, as it looks we will for the new monitor line (if there will BE a new monitor line!).
post #112 of 400
Quote:

Erm. Nope. But all isn't lost for the OP ...

Again, Apple have already thought about this and offer a couple of options:

1) Macbook
2) Macbook Pro

That's pretty smart of them!

yes, they're very smart. sigh...

..."Oh Apple, i love you"

post #113 of 400
Quote:

yeah, you're right, it was in response to someone who said "So, even though it doesn't carry the moniker of "Pro", it clearly is in that line."

so i agree with you, Pro for a Pro...

When I said that, I was referring to the case material, and pricing.

But, again, you guys can be very narrow minded as to who a "pro" is.
post #114 of 400
Not my thing, this new MacBook. But I think it will do well -- no one until now has tried to produce a subnotebook that has a full-size keyboard (and the 12 inch PowerBook does not qualify, sorry, too heavy). Apple figured light-but-not-small would be a winner, especially if it's thin enough. I think they're right.

Seeing as with Time Capsule and iTV we'll probably never see the standalone headless desktop I had hoped for to replace my G4, I want Apple to make some needed changes to their existing laptops.

1) redesign the case of the 15 inch MacBook Pro so that the display opens wide enough. It just does not open enough as it is. As it is, they have basically a very good pro laptop that is ruined ergonomically by that one thing.

2) put some half decent LCD panels on the 13 inch MacBook. Hopefully they'll all be going to LED backlight soon.

3) offer a MacBook 13 with full ATI video. Some of us would like MBP power in a smaller package. After all, isn't that partly what separate keyboards and monitors are for, so that you don't have to carry everything all the time?

4) changes to both the MBP cases so that you don't need two hours, a full set of screwdrivers and a degree in electrical engineering to change a hard drive.
post #115 of 400
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCMacFan View Post

melgross is online now Report Post \tReply With Quote

No I mean the physical store since I work a few blocks from one of the NYC stores.
post #116 of 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

How can you answer this question and without mentioning invisible gas generators

I was being facetious.

Of course apple revises their machines. The question didn't have to be asked.
post #117 of 400
Quote:

yes, they're very smart. sigh...

..."Oh Apple, i love you"

Why the indignation?

Perhaps I just don't understand the sense of entitlement that's permeating these threads.
post #118 of 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishyesque View Post

I haven't gotten any work done this morning

I don't have any work to get done!
post #119 of 400
I'll be buying one as soon as I can, my old macbook needs replacement anyway. I am slightly disappointed about the SSD being so expensive, but I know I was kidding myself thinking it wouldn't be a big hit on the price. This is a nice, portable machine, and personally I won't miss many of the missing ports. The mono audio on the other hand is ridiculous, but I'm sure audiopollution will be quick to point out that apple has just released many remedies to this situation called 'ipods'.
13" macbook 2GHz Core Duo
24" Imac Aluminum 2.8GHz
Macbook Air 1.6GHz (2nd iteration)
Airport Extreme
Airport Express
Apple TV 160GB
3G iPhone
13" macbook 2GHz Core Duo
24" Imac Aluminum 2.8GHz
Macbook Air 1.6GHz (2nd iteration)
Airport Extreme
Airport Express
Apple TV 160GB
3G iPhone
post #120 of 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofear1az View Post

The only thing I do find disappointing in this is that it is using a 4200 PATA (Parallel) drive instead of using SATA. Why? You know there is a performance hit on that and that's where the bottleneck is going to be. Why did Apple decide to put a drive in that uses PATA. Even the Macbook uses SATA.

Does anyone make SATA 1.8" drives?

The only ones I found with Google were all SSDs.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple's new MacBook Air dubbed world’s thinnest notebook