or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple offers $20 software upgrade for iPod touch

Apple offers $20 software upgrade for iPod touch

post #1 of 170
Apple on Tuesday announced a $20 software upgrade for its iPod touch digital media player that adds Mail, Maps, Stocks, Weather and Notes applications to the touch-screen-based device.

The iPod touch software upgrade also includes new features such as Web Clips, a customizable home screen and beginning today, the ability to watch iTunes Movie Rentals. New iPod touch products shipping from the factory will include the software upgrade and existing iPod touch customers can get the software upgrade for $19.99 by purchasing and downloading it from iTunes, Apple said.

These amazing new mobile applications make iPod touch not only the best iPod, but the best Wi-Fi mobile device in the world, said Apple chief executive Steve Jobs. With its revolutionary touch interface and software, plus its stunning 3.5 inch screen, iPod touch is evolving into the first mainstream Wi-Fi mobile platform of the 21st century.

Mail on iPod touch is a rich HTML email client that fetches email in the background from most POP3 or IMAP mail services and displays photos and graphics along with the text of the email. Users can configure Mail for Googles Gmail, Yahoo! Mail, .Mac Mail or most POP or IMAP based mail services with just a few clicks.

Maps on iPod touch features the ability to automatically find your current location using nearby Wi-Fi base stations, and use it as a starting or ending point for directions or to find local points of interest. Users can get real-time traffic conditions, and view maps in map or satellite view, or a hybrid view which combines map and satellite views so you can see major street names overlaid on satellite imagery.

Stocks and Weather allow users to access live stock and weather reports at their fingertips, and Notes lets you jot down information on-the-go using the intelligent keyboard.

In addition, the iPod touch home screen can now be customized, allowing users to reorder and add new icons, with support for up to nine different home screens which they can easily flick between. With the new Web Clips feature, you can even create custom icons on your home screen for your favorite websites. Web Clips are a great way to easily track web sites that you frequently check such as news, blogs, sports sites, movie listings and more.

With Apples new iTunes Movie Rentals, movie fans can rent movies on their computer, easily and quickly transfer them to their iPod touch, and watch them anywhere on iPod touchs 3.5 inch screen. Users can also now navigate forward or backward through their movies by chapters, select alternate language tracks and view subtitles, if available.

Pricing & Availability

The software upgrade for iPod touch is available immediately. New iPod touch products shipping from the factory will include the software upgrade and existing iPod touch customers can get the software upgrade for $19.99 by purchasing and downloading it from iTunes. iTunes Movie Rentals are available in the US only.
post #2 of 170
$20 or £13 for software that should be free? Shove off Apple.

MacBook Pro 15" | Intel Core2 Duo 2.66GHz | 320GB HDD | OS X v10.9
Black/Space Grey iPad Air with Wi-Fi & LTE | 128GB | On 4GEE
White iPhone 6 | 64GB | On 3UK

post #3 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jensonb View Post

$20 or £13 for software that should be free? Shove off Apple.

Indeed. Goes to show what Steve thinks of the iPod Touch owners. Sheesh.
New MacBook Pros next Tuesday!
New MacBook Pros next Tuesday!
post #4 of 170
That cheeky cunt wants $20 for THAT!

The chutzpah!

If you think about it for a second, his margins on the hardware alone are astronomical - in the order of 51% I believe. Now is added mail, which should have been on the original software, iTunes movie rental - useless if you're not in the US and a couple of other pissass little apps that no one will use.

My touch is already broken - the headphone jack only plays one channel and getting it serviced is a nightmare.
post #5 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post

That cheeky cunt wants $20 for THAT!

The chutzpah!

If you think about it for a second, his margins on the hardware alone are astronomical - in the order of 51% I believe. Now is added mail, which should have been on the original software, iTunes movie rental - useless if you're not in the US and a couple of other pissass little apps that no one will use.

My touch is already broken - the headphone jack only plays one channel and getting it serviced is a nightmare.

I'm assuming this has to do with those same SEC regulations that necessitated the charge for the Airport N upgrade on laptops a while ago. The iPhone revenue is reported differently, thus, they can give it away for free. The Touch is just another iPod, so I guess they can't.

Of course, they could charge $5 instead of $20.
post #6 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjoec123 View Post

I'm assuming this has to do with those same SEC regulations that necessitated the charge for the Airport N upgrade on laptops a while ago. The iPhone revenue is reported differently, thus, they can give it away for free. The Touch is just another iPod, so I guess they can't.

Of course, they could charge $5 instead of $20.

iPod Touch was already known to be getting software upgrades and later additional apps. Not to mention the fact that everything in this pack Apps-wise was already available through the Safari Browser. What could SEC have had to do with it?

post #7 of 170
I had this terrible little nagging feeling in the back of my mind that they might do this.

[Possibly on the basis of some silly piece of stupidly ineffective legislation....]

However, I was certain that if they did do this, they would ALSO do something like add an additional new application that would attempt to convert the hackers back onto the core software. I really I can't believe they've done this without anything new....
It's what I do.
It's what I do.
post #8 of 170
The only thing that isn't just a copy & paste from the iPhone is movie rentals... so we're paying $20 for the privilege of paying Apple more money to rent movies?

I'd held off on hacking my iPod Touch until after the keynote. Now it's obvious there's no reason not to. No SDK details and now $20 for Apple to copy existing apps. I don't think so.

It's a pity. I probably would have actually used the movie rentals.
post #9 of 170
Hmm, since when can you play games on the iPod touch? Is that bejeweled I see?

post #10 of 170
Okay, to get the customizable home page, I need to buy the update?

Just wanting to make sure I read that right. As I don't need the Mail/Notes/etc, but I'd like to have the ability to customize.
post #11 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apparatus View Post

It's a webclip of PopCap's Bejewelled WebApp
Quote:
Originally Posted by skottichan View Post

Just wanting to make sure I read that right. As I don't need the Mail/Notes/etc, but I'd like to have the ability to customize.

We're unclear. It seemed that way, but now some people and certain (Not all) Apple materials suggest otherwise.

post #12 of 170
Quote:

MacWorld rocked! But this is not a nice update. Teorically 20$ is ok for this update, but it should be free anyway.

In defeding of Apple:
I sell iPod touchs and noone returned with problems it is a incredible product, so if you got one problem just go to an Apple Store... the productes is fantastic, this update is questionable i agree.
post #13 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apparatus View Post

Webclip.
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
post #14 of 170
Quote:

No. 1.1.3 is free but the apps cost $20.
JLL

JLL

post #15 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLL View Post

No. 1.1.3 is free but the apps cost $20.

I'm going to need to seem some proof, cos:

suggests otherwise

post #16 of 170
WTF! $20 for an upgrade that should be fee? I don't see them raising the price of the new touches. Apple is really screwing hte pooch on this one. As a newer MAC and apple user, I have loved the hardware and software, but am getting increasingly annoyed with all the public relations and user support BS. If I wanted to deal with this type of crap, I'd stick with Microsoft. SHEESH!
post #17 of 170
What a f....n rip-off! I've already dropped $400 on an iPod and now Apple wants another $20 for software that should have been there in the first place! KMA Steve!!!
post #18 of 170
I will be gladly paying the £12.99 for the host of new features that are on offer which certainly were never listed nor implied in the original specifications. This is a huge capability uplift for a very small cost (although of course we're naturally paying more in the UK!).

Toyota have never offered me an upgrade on my car, Panasonic have never offered me an upgrade on our Home Cinema equipment. Thank you Apple for offering us this upgrade without having to buy new hardware.

One question though.... how does a WiFi router/hotpspot know where it is in the world to work with Maps????
post #19 of 170
Give me a feaken break! Why exactly should these applications be free? I get tired of people thinking they should be given crap for free. Apple, like any other company is out to make money, period. They're not here to provide good will to consumers. I would hope you buy ANY product based on its capabilities at that time and not what you HOPE it will do at some point in the future. You're an idiot if you make purchasing decisions in that manner.

Yes, it would be nice for Apple to give away these applications for free, that doesn't mean they should have to. It's not like iPhone users got anything for free either.
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
post #20 of 170
fm Radio Remote support in the update?
post #21 of 170
I can now confirm that ipod touch gets 1.1.3 for free.

post #22 of 170
okay, i got the 1.1.3 update, so how do i customize my home page?
post #23 of 170
I already posted this in another thread, but I believe the charge is because Apple probably has to pay licensing fees to the content providers for the maps, weather, stocks apps. I doubt Google just lets you have their Mobile Maps app for free. If you were on the web viewing these it'd be "free" with ads.
post #24 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

Give me a feaken break! Why exactly should these applications be free? I get tired of people thinking they should be given crap for free. Apple, like any other company is out to make money, period. They're not here to provide good will to consumers. I would hope you buy ANY product based on its capabilities at that time and not what you HOPE it will do at some point in the future. You're an idiot if you make purchasing decisions in that manner.

Yes, it would be nice for Apple to give away these applications for free, that doesn't mean they should have to. It's not like iPhone users got anything for free either.

Give you a "feaken" break. Ok, but no.

Let's put it like this then... You buy a car. A particularly expensive car. You pay over the odds for it since you like it so much and, let's face it, it's very swish and new - so who wouldn't!

Now, less than one month later, said car company gives any new owner of the same car a little bonus - they can now use their car to go backwards aswell as forwards - for free! They pay no extra charge.

Fantastic for people buying that new car today - but not for the poor people who bought it yesterday.

An absolute "feakin" anal probing for those die-hards that purchased the damned thing in the first place.

$20 for an upgrade.

Not good.
post #25 of 170
Quote:

okay, i got the 1.1.3 update, so how do i customize my home page?

According to early reports, hold your finger on an icon until they all wiggle

Edit: I've updated mine. 1.1.3 on iPod Touch does not include home page rearranging or web clips. So i doubt it adds anything else listed for iPhone 1.1.3 either.

Not cool Apple. Not cool.

post #26 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by krakatomato View Post

Let's put it like this then... You buy a car. A particularly expensive car. You pay over the odds for it since you like it so much and, let's face it, it's very swish and new - so who wouldn't!

Now, less than one month later, said car company gives any new owner of the same car a little bonus - they can now use their car to go backwards aswell as forwards - for free! They pay no extra charge.

Fantastic for people buying that new car today - but not for the poor people who bought it yesterday.

An absolute "feakin" anal probing for those die-hards that purchased the damned thing in the first place.

$20 for an upgrade.

Not good.

Jesus tapdancing christ, it's 20 DOLLARS, if you don't have $20, I'll loan it to you.

Christ, would you all like some cheese for your whine? Go sell your touches and get Zunes, Archos, or any other of a billion different PMPs on the market.
post #27 of 170
Quote:

$20 for an upgrade.

Not good.

Analogies suck.

That car you bought last month had GPS data from 2007. Next month they GPS data in new cars gets 2008 data. Think you get that for free?

As I said, analogies suck. Everyone can come up with one that suits their particular world view, so why don't we stop it? Just state your world view, dont try to analogize it, because it doesn't make your point stronger.
post #28 of 170
It's free for iPhone because they make so much money on iPhone because of their crazy deals with the operators. iPod touch doesn't generate any money in that same sense so I dunno...
I still think this sucks though, because remember, this software update comes bundled with an OS and firmware upgrade, that is necessary to run their apps that will be sold on iTunes approximately a month from now that will generate a lot of money. Therefore Apple should show their good side and deliver this update free of charge as well.

But as someone here said earlier.. it could be that licensing thing...
post #29 of 170
Quote:

Your point might be more valid if the same/similiar software wasn't being offered to iPhone users for free. That's the part that stinks.
post #30 of 170
Quote:

First of all, like I mentioned, you'd be an idiot to buy a product that didn't function properly, or not as you would expect. A car that can't go in reverse? Why would anyone buy that? But an iPod that doesn't email? Well I would hope you didn't buy a music player hoping you send email with it.

That's the nature of progress. You cannot expect to be given new things for free just because you own an older product. This happens in ALL markets with all products, hardware and software.

For instance, I bought an Elgato USB TV tuner a couple a month ago, they just released a new version of their EyeTV software, should I expect to get that new version for free? It would be nice if it was, but I certainly wouldn't expect it.
post #31 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofear1az View Post

Your point might be more valid if the same/similiar software wasn't being offered to iPhone users for free. That's the part that stinks.

It's not exactly free for iPhone users; iPhones cost $100 more, plus AT&T monthly charges.
post #32 of 170
Quote:

It's not exactly free for iPhone users; iPhones cost $100 more, plus AT&T monthly charges.

But iPhone users were well aware of that. We were not aware that updates to existing software on the iPod touch (The Home Screen, Safari and the iPod Applications) were going to cost £12.99 bundled with other things we don't necessarily want.

post #33 of 170
Quote:

Jesus tapdancing christ, it's 20 DOLLARS, if you don't have $20, I'll loan it to you.

Christ, would you all like some cheese for your whine? Go sell your touches and get Zunes, Archos, or any other of a billion different PMPs on the market.

Well I have $20 that is not the point.
The point is imagine, the Touch is the Macbook and the iPhone the Macbook Pro.

Now they both run the very same operating system. I mean identical.
Even in some of the warning messages on the iPod Touch it talks about me not having Edge when Wifi is not available. But the Touch does not even offer Edge.
The Warning message a simple Text is not even customized ofr the iPod Touch.

So int he beginning the Macbook Pro (iPhone) came with Mail, and Widgets, but the Macbook (Touch) did not have Mail, nor Widgets which was weird enough.

Now 4 month later you can buy for the Macbook (Touch Mail and widgets), would you pay $20 for a Mail application on your Macbook if a dozen are available for free? Obviously not. And if youdo well I guess thats everybodies choice.

But I don't pay $20 for a Mail application.
Especially since I know, that the Touch and iPhone run the very same OS and applications, and that Apple could have had these applications installed on the Touch from the very beginning.

Its almost like the iPhone price reduction, you just feel that you are so beng used by Apple and that they are sucking you for all that your worth.

Well I am definitely saying NO for now, I can already seeing this suddenly being a free update in some time.
And I don't need mail when I have mobile gmail in Safari.

What I would fine most upsetting though would be if I am forced to pay the $20 to get some other Application when they become available in Spring.
post #34 of 170
Quote:

1.1.3 on iPod Touch does not include home page rearranging or web clips.

Ah shite, really? Darn.
"I tried to get a tattoo once but passed out. It wasn't wetting my arm that bothered me, I just couldn't press firmly for 30 seconds."
"I tried to get a tattoo once but passed out. It wasn't wetting my arm that bothered me, I just couldn't press firmly for 30 seconds."
post #35 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorsten View Post

Even in some of the warning messages on the iPod Touch it talks about me not having Edge when Wifi is not available. But the Touch does not even offer Edge.

So int he beginning the Macbook Pro (iPhone) came with Mail, and Widgets, but the Macbook (Touch) did not have Mail, nor Widgets which was weird enough.

Now 4 month later you can buy for the Macbook (Touch Mail and widgets), would you pay $20 for a Mail application on your Macbook if a dozen are available for free? Obviously not. And if youdo well I guess thats everybodies choice.

Especially since I know, that the Touch and iPhone run the very same OS and applications, and that Apple could have had these applications installed on the Touch from the very beginning.

Its almost like the iPhone price reduction, you just feel that you are so beng used by Apple and that they are sucking you for all that your worth.

Well I am definitely saying NO for now, I can already seeing this suddenly being a free update in some time.

What I would fine most upsetting though would be if I am forced to pay the $20 to get some other Application when they become available in Spring.

Which doesn't even cover the fact that the features both share (The Desktop/homescreen, Safari, iTunes/iPod App(s) are updated free on the MacBook Pro (iPhone) but for cost on MacBook (iPod touch) - but the newer MacBooks came with those updates at no extra charge

@DaveyJJ: Yep. All the good stuff is in the App Pack and bundled on new ones

post #36 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorsten View Post

Again, bad analogy. The iPod is a personal media player, and iPhone is a phone. If they'd left out Maps or Mail from the iPhone, then charged for their later implementation, then I'd understand the indignation. The iPod is for playing audio and video media, the addition of Safari and Youtube are wonderful bonuses, but it still doesn't make the iPod a phone/web device. Mail and Maps is useless without internet on demand, so it's a luxury to add them to the Touch. More importantly, developer fees are part of the $20, since the same developer licensing fees were absorbed in the initial price like all other cell phones. This way those of us who don't want/need this new stuff, didn't have to pay for it up front.
post #37 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtotes View Post

I will be gladly paying the £12.99 for the host of new features that are on offer which certainly were never listed nor implied in the original specifications. This is a huge capability uplift for a very small cost (although of course we're naturally paying more in the UK!).

Toyota have never offered me an upgrade on my car, Panasonic have never offered me an upgrade on our Home Cinema equipment. Thank you Apple for offering us this upgrade without having to buy new hardware.

One question though.... how does a WiFi router/hotpspot know where it is in the world to work with Maps????

Although I think the upgrade price is a bit steep, I agree that the extra features are worth paying something for. As someone else mentioned, you can't expect to get new software for old hardware, free of charge.

And you Americans certainly shouldn't be complaining because the Brits are paying more and the rest of Europe slightly more on top of that. My upgrade was 18 Euros which comes to 26.78 USD. I'm not complaining, just stating the facts. I'm also used to paying a European premium with Apple.

To answer your question. The Maps features works based on your position relative to cell phone towers. The company providing this service (Skyhook Wireless) are an American company currently doing a global scan of cell phone towers and wireless hotspots to provide services like this. I know because Steve mentioned it during the keynote and I did some driving/scanning for them in Belgium. Interesting job! And I feel I've contributed to this technology in a very small yet significant way.
post #38 of 170
Quote:

What you are implying still does not make sense to me. Each product costs what its price point was set by Apple. It's a phone, it costs more than an iPod. Of course you have to pay monthly charges on it -- it's a mobile phone. What does that all have to do with a software update?
post #39 of 170
Quote:

I'm going to need to seem some proof

How about: I had updated my Touch to 1.1.3 and a little later bought the application upgrade before I made the post.
JLL

JLL

post #40 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofear1az View Post

They were on the iPhone from the beginning.
JLL

JLL

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple offers $20 software upgrade for iPod touch