or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple offers $20 software upgrade for iPod touch

Apple offers $20 software upgrade for iPod touch - Page 5

post #161 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

This is standard practice for significant OS upgrades or application enhancements/additions.

You own an old Mac - you have to pay for Leopard (even if you got your Mac just a few weeks before Leopard came out) whilst new Mac purchasers get it for free. You have to pay for iLife '08 whilst new Mac purchasers get it for free.

People have to realise that iPod touch is actually a miniature computer, and as such it is hardly surprising that the traditional rules of OS/application enhancement apply. And, let's just say it one more time - an iPod touch bought a few weeks ago still does everything it could when it was bought. If it didn't fulfill someone's needs, they shouldn't have bought it. Now, faced with the option of extra applications that provide additional functionality people can choose whether it is worth $20 to them and either purchase it and get the apps, or not purchase it and not get the apps.

You keep repeating the same argument and conveniently ignoring certain points every time.

1. The OS is not being upgraded. That's what 1.1.3 is, not the apps.

2. The iPod Touch is not an old machine. It's NEWER than the iPhone. Besides, even with your badly flawed "old Mac" analogy, name one instance where one Mac was denied the same OS features as its contemporary. What does the Mac Mini lack in OS features when compared with the Mac Pro? Does Leopard magically eliminate Time Machine or Stacks if you're running a Mini? There's not a single thing missing. As for iLife, previous Mac buyers got an older version because it 08 didn't exist yet. All these apps existed for the Touch, obviously so because the iPhone had them months before and doubly proven by the fact that many users have loaded those same iPhone apps onto their Touches in the last few months.

3. These are not "extra" applications. They're applications that were REMOVED from the iPod Touch before its introduction that they've finally decided should not be excluded from the Touch, hence their free inclusion from this point on.
post #162 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jensonb View Post

All explanations of the law given suggest that it is to prevent insider trading. Not only does that fly in the face of the share price falling, it does not seem to have been applied in other similar devices. For example, PSP and Apple TV. PSP has an ongoing revenue stream (Games). Apple TV has one too. The same damn one the iPod touch has. Digital media sales. You cannot argue that SOX prevents Apple from giving the updates to the existing software free when Apple TV, which is just an iPod for hooking into a TV, got what is essentially an all new OS offering extensive all-new features for free.

As for applying SOX to apps, arguably that is also disproved by PSP gaining a web browser and possibly even Apple TV gaining YouTube.

The fact of the matter is that SOX is an excuse applied retroactively by apologists with no precedent.

Here is how I heard it explained.

It's not related to a constant revenue stream (fees funneled from at&t, media downloads), but rather how the revenue is reported and accounted for. the iphone and atv are accounted for on a deferred (subscription) model. So not all the revenue is claimed up front, which allows them to give updates away later. Which is a good idea for both products: iphone needs constant updating to stay ahead of the pack, atv will need it if it's ever going to become a viable product.

Financially speaking, it seems to me that they can't put all their products on this model, because it's constricting to operate when all your revenue is deferred. thus, the revenue from all other products is reported up front.

once you report all the revenue, you either have to charge for significant upgrades, or if you give it away for free, go back, reopen the accounting books, and restate prior earnings.

that's why apple tv gets free upgrades...as for the psp, i have no idea. i don't follow sony at all, but it's likely that they either did the same thing, or they went through the difficulty to reopen their books, which would be a practical move for them since the psp is one of their most important devices

so, from what I can tell, it has less to do with an ongoing revenue stream, and more to do with how the revenue from the initial hardware sale is reported.

http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13509_1-9...20.html?tag=bl
http://www.nysscpa.org/cpajournal/20...ntials/p38.htm
http://espn.com.com/Apples-802.11n-a...3-6151790.html
post #163 of 170
I think some people are crazy. You purchased an MP3/Video Player. For 20 bucks you get PDA Functions. ????????? What is the problem. Some people say these apps should have been included when they purchased the touch. Name one, just one mp3 player that allows you to send emails and do what the upgrade is giving you.
post #164 of 170
Really? An mp3/video player? So what's this little Safari thing here? Or this calendar? And if it's worth $20 more, then why aren't they charging new buyers $20 more?

One mp3 player that can do all that? iPhone. Others? PSP. Nintendo DS. Sidekick. I could go on, but there's no need to continue spotlighting your ignorance.
post #165 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

And if it's worth $20 more, then why aren't they charging new buyers $20 more?

Based on that logic they should be charging new Mac owners for Leopard and Life?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #166 of 170
Lots of people would love to pay US$20 for the updates... if they could.

But people with no access to an itunes music store cannot upgrade. Period. For any price!

And in Asia it seems (from the Apple Online Store descriptions) that outside Japan, newly sold Touch's wont have the upgraded apps anyway....

Wait a bit longer then Or go out and buy a parallel import? But then a (parallel imported) iPhone doesn't cost much more...
post #167 of 170
Today I put the Touch with new apps through its paces and it came out a winner.

These were new apps, and that is fine with me. Now I just hope they add a function to Notes and allow them to be up/downloaded during Syncs; that should be a free upgrade even if they just go to the notepad in Dashboard.

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

post #168 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Based on that logic they should be charging new Mac owners for Leopard and Life?

Again, there was never a time when Leopard was actually available when Mac buyers didn't get it in the box. All Mac owners get whatever OS and version of iLife that's finished and available at the time of the sale, with no limits, no features removed. Mail, Stocks, Maps and Notes were all finished and available on the iPhone months before the Touch was introduced. There's no excuse for not having them on the Touch since they were fully compatible, as any of thousands of users who hacked their Touches and run them without any problems can tell you. You're as bad as Mr. H in willfully ignoring this. And don't give me any garbage about these being updated versions. All previous iPhone buyers are also getting updated versions, gratis, so by your logic, they shouldn't be getting those without charge since they bought "older models" and shouldn't expect to have all the latest stuff without paying, right?
post #169 of 170
The Touch was originally marketed without those apps. Big deal, and there is an excuse: Apple decided not to. The consumers were not forced to buy the iPods without the apps; they could have chosen not to buy at all. The hackers are then not going to purchase, thus raising future app costs for all of us. I hope Apple bricks 'em again, permanently.

That's life.

post #170 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

The Touch was originally marketed without those apps. Big deal, and there is an excuse: Apple decided not to. The consumers were not forced to buy the iPods without the apps; they could have chosen not to buy at all. The hackers are then not going to purchase, thus raising future app costs for all of us. I hope Apple bricks 'em again, permanently.

And now they've decided that the Touch should come with those apps at no extra cost. Just too bad if you bought it as recently as a week ago, with no warning whatsoever that you'd be shortchanged for not having a crystal ball to see what Apple was planning. What's this BS about higher app costs? Read my lips: The apps had already been developed and deployed on the iPhone. There were no additional costs to putting them on the Touch. The situation is still the same. The new apps are identical on iPhone and Touch. Boo hoo. Higher costs for us all from here on in. Wait, what...?

For someone who's supposed to be well-versed on Apple tech, you don't seem to know much about the Touch. There's no such thing as a bricked Touch. Or even for that matter a permanently bricked iPhone, if you were smart enough to back up your baseband before jailbreaking. The Touch has no baseband to break. Worst case, if you're dumb enough to apply an update that can't be jailbroken yet, you have to restore the Touch and lose everything you put onto it.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple offers $20 software upgrade for iPod touch