or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple offers $20 software upgrade for iPod touch
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple offers $20 software upgrade for iPod touch - Page 3

post #81 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Dude! This has nothing to with my feelings or yours toward Apple, or how you think the world should be run. I gave you more than a heads up, you can enlighten yourself to the rest of the facts from there.

Sorry but that lame excuse sounds like you've made it up, dude.
post #82 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Sorry but that lame excuse sounds like you've made it up, dude.

And I wrote the law and posted it all over the internet in 2002 just so I have this day. Gotta love the long con!
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #83 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

And you desire for Apple to charge less make my post BS, how? I merely stated what was required by law; I made no argument for the price charged, in fact I mentioned I didn't know what the law requires in sense. I did post a link so anyone who wanted to could ingratiate themselves with the finer details.

Sorry, I wasn't as clear as I should have been. I meant to say that if, in fact, it was required by law for them to charge for the upgrade, then they should've priced it cheaper. Going on to say that they had other motives by pricing the lousy update at $20. Needless to say, as a business = $$.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Yes, Apple's greedy, right? You should have the twenty dollars, not them, right? Because it's yours and not theirs, right?

When two parties are competing over who should get $20, what makes one of them greedy and not the other?

No...
No...
No...

I'll just reply with a simple 'wtf'. I never said any of that. Nor was it implied. Nice try...
post #84 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Life's a bitch. You could have bought an HD DVD player at xmas and the contempt from Warner Bros. switching to Blu-Ray is far worse.

Except if you're a bluray supporter OR if you have been reading the news and could see that HD-DVD is on the ropes.

Steve's surprise was a bit out of the blu.

Pardon the pun.
post #85 of 170
What for ?!
how could iPod Touch be treated worse than iPhone when the Touch is actually premium and well over the damn phone .
WHERE THE F*CK IS THE iCAL sync missing???
why the hell 20 bucks -i'm hacking the thing ,.. this is stupid.
post #86 of 170
This is no different than buying any software that you don't currently have. If your Mac didn't ship with, let's say, iWork you'd have to buy it right? I think you need to get used to the idea that the iPhone and iPod Touch will be upgraded no differently than a Mac. This means that point upgrades will be free but if you want new software or a new version of current software you'll have to pay for it. Apple might start charging for new apps on the iPhone too.
post #87 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by skottichan;1198693[COLOR="Black"

]Jesus tapdancing christ[/COLOR], it's 20 DOLLARS, if you don't have $20, I'll loan it to you.


Christ, would you all like some cheese for your whine? Go sell your touches and get Zunes, Archos, or any other of a billion different PMPs on the market.

Jesus tapdancing christ?!

Probably the stupidest pseudoexpletive I've ever heard.
post #88 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmydoodlebug View Post

Jesus tapdancing christ?!

Probably the stupidest pseudoexpletive I've ever heard.

I think you mean the funniest.
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
post #89 of 170
Okay I can understand people think they are being ripped off but you are not.

You bought the iPod as it is. Apple said they will be updating the iPhone they NEVER said they would be adding features to the iPod Touch.

It is now a feature of the Touch. If you bought one before you will feel a little bit cheesed off but you have to accept the facts. I have an iPhone and expect the software updates. I do not however think that the iPhone software update 2.0 will be free for certain.

If you wanted those features by the phone if not sorry but you knew the deal before

Further to this you are screaming over $20 its bloody £13 here so imagine it was $25/6 dollars. But in the end its still peanuts
post #90 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

During the 2006 MacWorld Jobs announced that the new AppleTV and iPhone that were coming out would use a *new* 24-month accounting model. Doing that would allow Apple the LEGAL ability to update those products with more than just a minor software update.

Since the iPod Touch is neither of these devices they are obligated by law to charge for any major updates. As to how much [they are required to charge], I don't know, but the law was set in place to protect the companies investors. Why they didn't out this device into the same 24-month accounting model? I don't know. Perhaps they couldn't if they used the iPod moniker.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarbanes-Oxley_Act

While this may be your and possibly Apple's accountants' opinion of the law, I'm skeptical that any law specifically requires one to charge for a substantive software update (and I've taken more than a passive glance at Sarbanes-Oxley). These laws are intended to require accountability not govern business practice ... I suspect what you're interpreting as a "require[ment] to charge" is far more likely Apple's desire to avoid a "requirement to report as a loss" something which might look bad to investors. A company can give something away if they darn well please, they just have to account for it.
post #91 of 170
It's a rip-off, through and through.

It wouldn't be so bad if a) they were brand new apps, b)it wasn't $20, and c) that older Touch users are left in the cold, new ones get them for free.

Apple updates the ATV for free, MS updated the Zune 1's to basically Zune 2's with a FW update...this is pretty unacceptable for such an expensive product.

I guess if I could be an Apple apologist, I might understand, but other than making the company more money, I don't see this move as a benefit to the people that spent $300 and $400 on them a month ago, during that particular December holiday. Doing it now, just smacks of a big "FU".

I think the next time Apple comes out with a new product, it would be best to wait awhile, as they'll apparently just screw over their early adopters. Which is a terrible way of treating its customers, but again, if I could be an apologist, I might be used to justifying it to myself.
post #92 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by skids View Post

Us Brits have been shafted big time by this software!

The 'Worldwide' Weather app doesn't recognise cities outside of the US.
It is the usual story, an American company fails to recognise other countries, it really pisses me off. They have put in the search to enter a Postcode (Trying to be British?) but try a UK postcode and it wont recognise it!

On that note, iTunes Movie Rental is not available in the UK!!

I have emailed Apple asking for a refund.

It should recognize other cities. I have NZ AUST US and European cities working on mine. Just make sure you have a good wi fi connection when you are searching.
post #93 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness View Post

It's a rip-off, through and through.

It wouldn't be so bad if a) they were brand new apps, b)it wasn't $20, and c) that older Touch users are left in the cold, new ones get them for free.

I guess if I could be an Apple apologist, I might understand

Jesus. Give it a rest with this crybaby shit.

And think again before you accuse everyone who isn't a petulant child of being an Apple apologist. There are many things that Apple have done that I don't like and have said so about it; this is not one of those things.

a.) They are brand new for the iPod touch. The touch didn't have them, and now, the possibility is there if you want. If you wanted or needed these apps, you shouldn't have bought the iPod touch because it didn't have them and there was no gaurantee that it would ever get them. If you didn't know that the iPod touch didn't have the apps before you bought it, you should have researched better before buying an expensive luxury item.

b.) If the apps aren't worth $20 to you, don't pay the money and don't have the apps.

c.) If I bought a Mac before Leopard came out, I'd have to pay for the upgrade, but new ones get Leopard bundled for free. Congratulations, you've made the world's weakest argument for free-for-life operating system upgrades.

You have failed, just like everyone else, to explain why you should get enhanced functionality for free.
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
post #94 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Jesus. Give it a rest with this crybaby shit.

And think again before you accuse everyone who isn't a petulant child of being an Apple apologist. There are many things that Apple have done that I don't like and have said so about it; this is not one of those things.

a.) They are brand new for the iPod touch. The touch didn't have them, and now, the possibility is there if you want. If you wanted or needed these apps, you shouldn't have bought the iPod touch because it didn't have them and there was no gaurantee that it would ever get them. If you didn't know that the iPod touch didn't have the apps before you bought it, you should have researched better before buying an expensive luxury item.

b.) If the apps aren't worth $20 to you, don't pay the money and don't have the apps.

c.) If I bought a Mac before Leopard came out, I'd have to pay for the upgrade, but new ones get Leopard bundled for free. Congratulations, you've made the world's weakest argument for free-for-life operating system upgrades.

You have failed, just like everyone else, to explain why you should get enhanced functionality for free.

And because you said it, It has to be correct! Right?

Crybaby shit? If it is "crybaby shit" to you, why bother giving your 2 cents?
post #95 of 170
PAID update for something that should have been included in the first place?? Are you freaking kidding me?

This totally comes off as nickel and diming, and apple will get raked over the coals for this. Huge backlash from customers, and the press will tear them a new one. I really can't believe apple did this, and I wouldn't be surprised if apple gets enough heat over this that they end up changing their mind and giving the update for free or much cheaper.

I also expect that there will be a TON of piracy of this. If it's installed by iTunes, I assume people have already hacked a way to get it for free?
post #96 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

a.) They are brand new for the iPod touch. The touch didn't have them, and now, the possibility is there if you want. If you wanted or needed these apps, you shouldn't have bought the iPod touch because it didn't have them and there was no gaurantee that it would ever get them. If you didn't know that the iPod touch didn't have the apps before you bought it, you should have researched better before buying an expensive luxury item.

People who bought the touch in spite of the absence of these apps still enjoyed it for a full 4 months before this update came out. Would any of them have traded those 4 months of use for $20? Ask any of them if they would go without their touches for 4 months in exchange for $20. If anybody says they would, they just don't enjoy it that much and probably shouldn't have bought it, in which case, they're more upset about $299 than $20.

They come out with new features for macs, ipods, iphones, etc, every 6-12 months. That's technology. If you're waiting for the best deal, you will never have the best product. You pay for the immediate gratification. So you either curse yourself for your impatience, or justify it by looking at how much that time you could have spent waiting is worth to you.
post #97 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKid2020 View Post

And because you said it, It has to be correct! Right?

Crybaby shit? If it is "crybaby shit" to you, why bother giving your 2 cents?

Probably because, like me, he's annoyed at how in the last 24 hours this oft well balanced and levelheaded forum has been assailed by the short-sided, circumlocutions of the typical Digg commenter,


Quote:
Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

I also expect that there will be a TON of piracy of this. If it's installed by iTunes, I assume people have already hacked a way to get it for free?

People added these apps when the iPod Touch was first released via a hack.


Quote:
Originally Posted by halfyearsun View Post

People who bought the touch in spite of the absence of these apps still enjoyed it for a full 4 months before this update came out. Would any of them have traded those 4 months of use for $20? Ask any of them if they would go without their touches for 4 months in exchange for $20. If anybody says they would, they just don't enjoy it that much and probably shouldn't have bought it, in which case, they're more upset about $299 than $20.

You make a good point. If Apple just came out with an updated Touch with these new apps and large SSD they would probably be bitching that they couldn't buy these apps.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #98 of 170
You guys have got to stop focusing on the Apps. The apps are irrelevant. They may be overpriced and, yes, they should have been there from day one. But here's the rub:

Apple is charging me £12.99 to get Home Screen Rearrangng, Web Clips and Lyrics support. That is extortionate. I don't even want the apps. Just those 3 things. New touch buyers and iPhone users get those free.

It is a ripoff. If you didn't buy a touch, keep out of it. What does it have to do with you? It's our money, not yours. We'll decide if its fair.

MacBook Pro 15" | Intel Core2 Duo 2.66GHz | 320GB HDD | OS X v10.9
Black/Space Grey iPad Air with Wi-Fi & LTE | 128GB | On 4GEE
White iPhone 6 | 64GB | On 3UK

Reply

MacBook Pro 15" | Intel Core2 Duo 2.66GHz | 320GB HDD | OS X v10.9
Black/Space Grey iPad Air with Wi-Fi & LTE | 128GB | On 4GEE
White iPhone 6 | 64GB | On 3UK

Reply
post #99 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Jesus. Give it a rest with this crybaby shit.

If I may add

I really fail to understand this concept of entitlement, i.e., that the purchase of a device obligates the developer to provide updates, new functionality and services for free.

The fact that, as is this case, Apple decides to provide offerings for free in one instance and to charge in another may not sit well with everybody, but it is no different than your dad giving you the keys to his car with a tank full of gas one week and empty the following week.

In either event, you have the option of walking, but you don't have the right to put sugar in his gas tank.

As for the newest offerings for the iPod Touch, this is not a upgrade. These are separate applications. And for those that haven't done the math, at less than $5 each.

Perhaps what Apple should have done, was let a third-party developer create them. I would image that Microsoft would have loved to produce an iPod Touch 1-Note, and at a lot more than a fin.

In a short while there will be a slue of iPhone and iPod Touch third-party applications hitting the market. One would expect that they won't be given away free, and it is not necessary that they are. However, now that Apple has set a price precedent, I would suggest that anything over a sawbuck would be suicide. But who knows what Adobe could come up with?
post #100 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecton View Post

It should recognize other cities. I have NZ AUST US and European cities working on mine. Just make sure you have a good wi fi connection when you are searching.

I was sat about 12 inches away from my wireless router!

In fact I have just removed the default one and tried again and it is working (Although it doesn't have my town, Northampton)

I will have to make do with Birmingham
post #101 of 170
I love all the nut hugging going on here standing up for Apple. I guarantee you if somebody made another thread with a Poll, you would see that 99% of people are pissed over this. We're the customers they should be listening to. This is just a test to see if they can start hitting us up for money on upgrades for other products, i.e. MacBook Pro, iMac, etc. Can you imagine the cost of the upgrade on a premium product like the Pro? This is complete bullshit, and if you do not agree, you need to release the kung fu grip on Jobs nut sack! This is not right, It's because of this type of bullshit that I left Windows for. Money Hungry Bullshit! And stop with the "They had to charge due to blah blah blah! Ok, then why not $.99? or $.99 per new application? I paid top Dollar for this iPod for myself and all my employees. At $400 it should be able to have these apps built in, It's not like the unit has a 160 Gig Hard drive built in that we're paying for, it has 16 G, and came with SHIT.

I have all the means to pay for the upgrade but will never! Jailbreak works like a champ and there is no reason in hell why people shouldn't go that route instead.

Jobs, quit hanging out with Gates so much, He's starting to rub off on you.
post #102 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicvalentine View Post

At $400 it should be able to have these apps built in, It's not like the unit has a 160 Gig Hard drive built in that we're paying for, it has 16 G, and came with SHIT.
.

Again. If at $400 it should have had all those features, then you should not have bought it. You knew what features were included, and you decided it was worth $400. To claim that it is not worth that contradicts your actions. Be consistent.
post #103 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

That car you bought last month had GPS data from 2007. Next month they GPS data in new cars gets 2008 data. Think you get that for free?

In many cases, yes.

There's no reason for apple to charge for this, especially since these were all apps that already existed on the iPhone, so it cost apple nothing extra to put them on the touch. Are they charging appleTV owners for the software upgrade? Nope.

A dumb move like this is just going to encourage people to wait for version 1.1 of any apple product, particularly ones with obvious missing features. People bought the touch under the assumption that the missing apps would be added, and Jobs even admitted that leaving off things like notes and mail was a mistake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skottichan View Post

The iPod is for playing audio and video media, the addition of Safari and Youtube are wonderful bonuses, but it still doesn't make the iPod a phone/web device.

What the hell are you talking about? The touch surfs the web. It's a web device as well as a media player. Period. Insisting that a web device isn't a web device just because it shares a brand name with media players is just idiotic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

Charging for updates that are free on the iPhone does look like a rip off, but consider the alternative...

2008 Touch includes new features
2007 Touch owners are stuck with the features that shipped in 2007

Way to ignore the most obvious alternative, and the one consistent with what apple has done with virtually every other product that has recieved a software update - GIVE EXISTING USERS THE UPDATE FOR FREE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

Do you people honestly expect to get the next 5 years' worth of added features free?

I'm not sure where you got the "5 years" thing from, this unit has only been out FOUR MONTHS. But until they change the hardware, I absolutely would expect free software updates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

I really fail to understand this concept of entitlement, i.e., that the purchase of a device obligates the developer to provide updates, new functionality and services for free.

I wouldn't say that people are "entitled" to get a free update.

But apple has set a precedent of free updates to many of their products. They just did it with the aTV. They did it with the 5G ipod. They did it with the iPhone. They have done it many times with new features in point updates to OSX.

Sure, apple doesn't have to give a free update. They're not obligated to. But they are a company that sells products, and giving a free update makes customers happy, while charging $20 for one, especially for a product that has only been out four months, makes customers pissed off.

And happy customers are more likely to keep buying apple products than pissed off customers. As an apple stockholder, I am NOT happy about seeing the company make idiot moves like this that are likely to make very little extra income but generate a bunch of ill will toward the company.

Honestly, I'm pretty shocked to see so many people coming to apple's defense on this one. I just don't get it.
post #104 of 170
Off thread
I know, folks are going to bag on me for wasting 20 bucks or why Steve has been ripping us off for years. But not having to reboot my machine everytime I install anything, including plug and play is worth a few extra bucks for me.

Onto thread

So, 20 bucks, a hard factory restore , reinstall of 1.1.3 and wow, the aps actually appear this time. Seems like Apple didn't take into account that prob _NONE_ of the users (like myself) bothered to upgrade their iTouch from 1.1.1 to 1.1.2 and likely got a fail on the 1.1.1 > 1.1.3 upgrade.

That will show me for not installing every possible upgrade that Apple throws our way.

Weather is ok,
Stocks- who cares I'm broke from buying Apple stuff anyway,
Notes - is ok since you can email them off the ipod
Mail - works with beta domain into Gmail nicely - much better than gmail via Safari, imho.

Maps - very interesting on how ID's your location: anyone have an idea?
EDIT: Ok, I should watch the presentation before asking - done via Google/SkyHook mapping.

And um, Steve left of Calendar... Previously Calendar wouldn't let you save anything - so if you didn't sync from your Mac it was good for nothing. Now you can make appointmetns on the iTouch and sync them back to your Mac - still not that useful in the business world.

I wonder how Steve is going to squeze another 20 out of each of us next time...
post #105 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfyearsun View Post

Again. If at $400 it should have had all those features, then you should not have bought it. You knew what features were included, and you decided it was worth $400. To claim that it is not worth that contradicts your actions. Be consistent.

That line frequently heard here is both preposterous and asinine.
post #106 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Jesus. Give it a rest with this crybaby shit.

...

c.) If I bought a Mac before Leopard came out, I'd have to pay for the upgrade, but new ones get Leopard bundled for free. Congratulations, you've made the world's weakest argument for free-for-life operating system upgrades.

Bad analogy. Think if you bought a MacBook with Leopard and it didn't have all the OS features of a Macbook Pro on sale at the same time. Then later Apple goes and says they'll put them on all Macbooks but existing Macbook users will have to pay for them. That would piss off a lot of people.
post #107 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

I wouldn't say that people are "entitled" to get a free update.

But apple has set a precedent of free updates to many of their products. They just did it with the aTV. They did it with the 5G ipod. They did it with the iPhone. They have done it many times with new features in point updates to OSX.

Dammit Apple! This guy is absolutely right. How stupid can one be.

It is obvious Steve, that you should stop giving updates for free, and everybody will be happy.
post #108 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

That line frequently heard here is both preposterous and asinine.

I'm not convinced on how it's preposterous and asinine, although both are good vocabulary words.

More than preposterous and asinine, it's basic economics. You put a price on something, if it's worth it, people buy it. If not they don't.

Basic human behavior: they will complain about it nevertheless.
post #109 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfyearsun View Post

I'm not convinced on how it's preposterous and asinine, although both are good vocabulary words.

More than preposterous and asinine, it's basic economics. You put a price on something, if it's worth it, people buy it. If not they don't.

Basic human behavior: they will complain about it nevertheless.

I've never complained about any apple product that i've ever owned. My company probably owns 10 times the apple products than 90% of the people on this board. I've been a very loyal customer since the early days and have the right to be pissed when they try to pull this type of shit.
post #110 of 170
Okay, I am going to be pretentious... but pretty much every point on here agreeing with the $20 price tag is utter bullshit. This is the truth, let it seep in and stop ragging our asses for crying...

Apple TV got it's 2.0 UPGRADE for free. After a year. But that's okay to Apple because AppleTV's a failing product. Apple knows they can gouge the iPod crowd and it's bullshit. It's not fair. Simple as that. Not every iPod touch user is a kid with rich parents dicking around on the internet.
post #111 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by haveyoumetmark View Post

Okay, I am going to be pretentious... but pretty much every point on here agreeing with the $20 price tag is utter bullshit. This is the truth, let it seep in and stop ragging our asses for crying:

Apple TV got it's 2.0 UPGRADE for free. After a year. But that's okay to Apple because AppleTV's a failing product. Apple knows they can gouge the iPod crowd and it's bullshit. It's not fair. Simple as that. Not every iPod touch user is a kid with rich parents dicking around on the internet

Again, apple tv doesn't compare. subscription service, different accounting structures, on and on ad nauseum.
post #112 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by haveyoumetmark View Post

much every point on here agreeing with the $20 price tag is utter bullshit. This is the truth, let it seep in and stop ragging our asses for crying:

You have swayed me with your brilliant application of logic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by haveyoumetmark View Post

Apple TV got it's 2.0 UPGRADE for free. After a year. But that's okay to Apple because AppleTV's a failing product. Apple knows they can gouge the iPod crowd and it's bullshit. It's not fair. Simple as that. Not every iPod touch user is a kid with rich parents dicking around on the internet

Oh I see. It's not fair! Another brilliant argument.

It's not fair, wah wah wah! Grow up.

If you don't want to pay the $20, don't buy the upgrade and don't get the apps! Simple. No bitching and moaning necessary, the iPod touch still does all the things it could do when you bought it, and if that's not enough for you - why did you buy it?
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
post #113 of 170
Id like to say at this point that in the last 3 years ive spent somehwere in the region of a quarter of a million pounds on Apple products, thats around half a million dollars. I dislike the assumption on an earlier post that if were not happy with the pay to upgrade situation that were moaners. Quite the opposite, however on this occasion i feel like im no longer a valued customer but a revenue stream-not a feeling one normally associates with the Apple ownership experience.

From a UK perspective i suggest Apple start making some pretty express statements about functionality and features-quick. The consumer laws here are very robust and for example give us a 28 days grace period. You cannot under the sales of goods act sell an item and then add additional functionality at a charge whilst at the same time offering it for free as a bundle.

Theres also another angle of concern, what about non-Apple stockist. A new Touch unsold but brand new is now competing at a £13.00 disadvantage. Talk about a heavily discriminated supply chain.

All in all this all points to one thing, a minefield for would be conusmers and existing owners alike. Steve dont take your customers for fools. At the same time if theres a credible reason for the charge why not take to the time inform us. And whilst were on the subject of pricing, why is the new ATV $160.00 more in the UK than the US. Credibility is for me at an all time low, it shows that the comments about the Itunes store and price transparency across Europe only apply when there not Apples own products and don't reflect their US pricing.

All in all so disappointing for this Apple fan!

PS of course ATV had a free upgrade, in its new guise it will generate more profit which purchases! No one forced Apple to account for the Touch using SOX and quite honestly they spin the whole SOX thing to their advantage regardless.
post #114 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfyearsun View Post

Again, apple tv doesn't compare. subscription service, different accounting structures, on and on ad nauseum.

Not really. It's just as much a subscription service as iPod is with iTunes... the only reason it doesn't compare is because it's a failing product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

You have swayed me with your brilliant application of logic!

Oh I see. It's not fair! Another brilliant argument.

It's not fair, wah wah wah! Grow up.

If you don't want to pay the $20, don't buy the upgrade and don't get the apps! Simple. No bitching and moaning necessary, the iPod touch still does all the things it could do when you bought it, and if that's not enough for you - why did you buy it?

Had I known that Apple were going to pull shit like this, I wouldn't have bought it. You steered away from my point. It's gouging at it's best and it is unfair.

Quit bitching and moaning. Wah Wah Wah! Don't open the thread then. You now very well know what it entails.
post #115 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartz View Post

I dislike the assumption on an earlier post that if were not happy with the pay to upgrade situation that were moaners.

It's not an assumption, it is fact. If you come in here complaining about the upgrade fee, that is moaning by definition.

That's not to say that you have to like the idea of paying to get the upgrade. If you don't like it, don't buy it. But don't piss and moan that you should be getting it for free - there is no argument that justifies the expectation that addtional functionality is a right and should be given out for free. I can see why it annoyes people, of course; but the expectation for free upgrades is not justified.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartz View Post

The consumer laws here are very robust and for example give us a 28 days grace period. You cannot under the sales of goods act sell an item and then add additional functionality at a charge whilst at the same time offering it for free as a bundle.

That's a new one on me. Evidence please.


Quote:
Originally Posted by smartz View Post

And whilst were on the subject of pricing, why is the new ATV $160.00 more in the UK than the US. Credibility is for me at an all time low, it shows that the comments about the Itunes store and price transparency across Europe only apply when there not Apples own products and don't reflect their US pricing.

True.
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
post #116 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by haveyoumetmark View Post

Had I known that Apple were going to pull shit like this, I wouldn't have bought it.

Really?

Why did you buy an iPod touch?
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
post #117 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by haveyoumetmark View Post

Not really. It's just as much a subscription service as iPod is with iTunes... the only reason it doesn't compare is because it's a failing product.

a good reason, but not the only reason.
"...only the iPhone and Apple TV are currently using Apple's "subscription revenue" accounting model."

if what people are saying about sec regulations are true, then that would be why products that fall under the subscription revenue model can have updates without fees and others (like the ipod) need to have charges attached to them.

i haven't heard anybody argue yet that the regulations requiring apple to charge for this upgrade under its accounting model do not apply, if you can do it, you'd be the first.

http://www.macrumors.com/2008/01/16/...-untold-story/
post #118 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Really?

Why did you buy an iPod touch?

That's a moot point. It doesn't matter why I bought one. It was an impulse buy. I liked the way it looked. I didn't want AT&T's shiteous network, but I wanted a device similar to iPhone. I never heard Steve say that he was going to charge for updates that other users will get for free. I hadn't known at the time that the iPod line was going to become slave to the iPhone. The list goes on and on and on. Stop changing the subject at hand. Apple is gouging its loyal customers and the fact of the matter is, it's bullshit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfyearsun View Post

a good reason, but not the only reason.
"...only the iPhone and Apple TV are currently using Apple's "subscription revenue" accounting model."

if what people are saying about sec regulations are true, then that would be why products that fall under the subscription revenue model can have updates without fees and others (like the ipod) need to have charges attached to them.

i haven't heard anybody argue yet that the regulations requiring apple to charge for this upgrade under its accounting model do not apply, if you can do it, you'd be the first.

http://www.macrumors.com/2008/01/16/...-untold-story/

I see your point, but for some reason I don't buy it. This would be the first time something like this has happened. It's not like this is a new OS or anything. Agreeing that the reasons in your post are the reasons for the fee, then it didn't have to be $20. It could have been minimal. I feel like I'm being gouged. Like Apple is going Microsoft on me. I don't like it. At all.
post #119 of 170
It's pretty simple. No analogies needed.


"if" you think the features are worth it pony up the $20 if not then save your money. Asking that Apple provide new functionality never promised is asking for handouts. Apple is a corporation not welfare.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
post #120 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by haveyoumetmark View Post

That's a moot point.

It's not a moot point at all. I'm trying to get you to acknowledge that if the iPod touch didn't fulfill your needs when you bought it, you shouldn't have bought it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haveyoumetmark View Post

I never heard Steve say that he was going to charge for updates that other users will get for free.

Those "other users" are:

1.) iPhone users who are paying a rather high monthly fee to AT&T, a share of which Apple receives.

2.) New iPod touch purchasers who have not had the benefit of owning the iPod touch for however long you've owned one for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haveyoumetmark View Post

I hadn't known at the time that the iPod line was going to become slave to the iPhone. The list goes on and on and on. Stop changing the subject at hand. Apple is gouging its loyal customers and the fact of the matter is, it's bullshit.

I'm not changing the subject. You are the one avoiding the central points:

1.) If it's not worth $20 to you, don't buy it. In this case there is no "gouging"; if you think it's "gouging", don't buy! You don't have to be a sheep that blindly purchases upgrades just because they exist rather than because you actually need them. If you really need them that badly $20 isn't that much; it also begs the repitition of the point that if you really need them, why did you buy the iPod touch when it didn't have them?
2.) You have no right to expect additional functionality for free.
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple offers $20 software upgrade for iPod touch