or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › First Look: Apple TV 2.0 and iTunes Movie Rentals (photos, video)

First Look: Apple TV 2.0 and iTunes Movie Rentals (photos, video) - Page 4

post #121 of 233
Sorry if this has already been addressed in the thread and I missed it:

Has the res (or compression encoding) been changed? I don't own an Apple TV, but my first impression at the Apple Store, looking at SD movies, was that the PQ was pretty terrible.

Now that our little ATv is growing up and becoming something more than a "hobby", is it possible that the SD stuff is being encoded with a little more finesse? Or maybe the SD rentals?
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #122 of 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Sorry if this has already been addressed in the thread and I missed it:

Has the res (or compression encoding) been changed? I don't own an Apple TV, but my first impression at the Apple Store, looking at SD movies, was that the PQ was pretty terrible.

Now that our little ATv is growing up and becoming something more than a "hobby", is it possible that the SD stuff is being encoded with a little more finesse? Or maybe the SD rentals?

Not sure about the quality of encoding, but in terms of resolution, the SD movies rented via AppleTV are being called "DVD quality" now rather than "near-DVD quality." Presumably that means slightly higher than 640X480.

My guess is that they're still trying to keep purchased video compatible with the iPod, but if you rent via AppleTV, you can't move them, so it doesn't matter that they're not playable on iPod. On the other hand, if you rent via iTunes on your computer, you can sync to your iPod, and so they're keeping those at 640X480.

Seems odd at first, but they had to deal with the problem of compatibilty with the iPod. They could have embedded a smaller, ipod-compatible file with the larger file, or asked which one you wanted. At some point they're going to have to deal with that, but I suppose keeping AppleTV rentals separated from iPods is one solution for now.
post #123 of 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

Not sure about the quality of encoding, but in terms of resolution, the SD movies rented via AppleTV are being called "DVD quality" now rather than "near-DVD quality." Presumably that means slightly higher than 640X480.

My guess is that they're still trying to keep purchased video compatible with the iPod, but if you rent via AppleTV, you can't move them, so it doesn't matter that they're not playable on iPod. On the other hand, if you rent via iTunes on your computer, you can sync to your iPod, and so they're keeping those at 640X480.

Seems odd at first, but they had to deal with the problem of compatibilty with the iPod. They could have embedded a smaller, ipod-compatible file with the larger file, or asked which one you wanted. At some point they're going to have to deal with that, but I suppose keeping AppleTV rentals separated from iPods is one solution for now.

DVD quality is the US is only slightly higher anyway at 720x480. To be DVD quality [in resolution] the SD rentals would have to be at this resolution.

You can move your SD AppleTV rentals back to your iTUnes account and iDevices. You just can't move the HD rental. These can only be rented from the AppleTV and viewed from a TV attached tot eh AppleTV because of the limitations to the iDevices that you mentioned.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #124 of 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You can move your SD AppleTV rentals back to your iTUnes account and iDevices. You just can't move the HD rental. These can only be rented from the AppleTV and viewed from a TV attached tot eh AppleTV because of the limitations to the iDevices that you mentioned.

I don't think so. But if you can prove me wrong, please do.
post #125 of 233
Hmmm..... from Apple's iTunes rental page:

Quote:
Movie rentals from iTunes transfer to your iPod or iPhone to watch on the go. Either device remembers where you stopped watching on your computer and picks up where you left off.

Doesn't say specifically that "rentals from iTunes" includes Apple TV as well as computer, but it seems pretty likely.

However,

Quote:
When you download movies from iTunes, you get a 640-by-480-pixel image that’s great for watching on your computer and positively brilliant on your iPod or iPhone.

which as far as I know is the same as before, including the cropped wide screen stuff that is far lower actual res. If Apple has started referring to their SD downloads in more glowing terms, it's either marketing BS or they've improved the bit rate.
post #126 of 233
Quote:

Hmmm..... from Apple's iTunes rental page:

Doesn't say specifically that "rentals from iTunes" includes Apple TV as well as computer, but it seems pretty likely.

No, I don't think so. From iTunes means from a computer, and then to iPods if you want to. From AppleTV they don't sync back to your computer, they stay on AppleTV, they're higher definition (DVD quality or HD), and they don't play on iPods.
Quote:
However,

which as far as I know is the same as before, including the cropped wide screen stuff that is far lower actual res. If Apple has started referring to their SD downloads in more glowing terms, it's either marketing BS or they've improved the bit rate.

The only SD movies they're referring to in more glowing terms are the ones you get from AppleTV, which are DVD quality now, rather than near-DVD quality, or HD.

It sounds screwy if you analyze it, but it makes sense, I think, if you assume they're trying to make sure anything that could go get onto an iPod will be playable on the iPod.

I'm not sure what the solution is. Perhaps embedding multiple files together - an iPod-sized file and a larger one. What do you think the solution is?
post #127 of 233
Quote:

I don't think so. But if you can prove me wrong, please do.

It's correct, you can.

You can also begin to watch an SD rental on the ATv, or computer, and finish watching it on your iPod/iPhone during that 24 hour period.
post #128 of 233
Quote:

No, I don't think so. From iTunes means from a computer, and then to iPods if you want to. From AppleTV they don't sync back to your computer, they stay on AppleTV, they're higher definition (DVD quality or HD), and they don't play on iPods. The only SD movies they're referring to in more glowing terms are the ones you get from AppleTV, which are DVD quality now, rather than near-DVD quality, or HD.

It sounds screwy if you analyze it, but it makes sense, I think, if you assume they're trying to make sure anything that could go get onto an iPod will be playable on the iPod.

I'm not sure what the solution is. Perhaps embedding multiple files together - an iPod-sized file and a larger one. What do you think the solution is?

I just took the time to watch Ice Age before I responded to your post. On my Sony 24" CRT monitor which runs at 2048 by 1280, it looked great. I had it at full screen width, so the computer was rezzing up considerably, but it did look more like 720 than 640.
post #129 of 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I just took the time to watch Ice Age before I responded to your post. On my Sony 24" CRT monitor which runs at 2048 by 1280, it looked great. I had it at full screen width, so the computer was rezzing up considerably, but it did look more like 720 than 640.

That's good to hear, but I'd like to also hear from someone with, say, a 40" LCD, since that's what Apple was using to demo Apple TV in the stores, and what has looked so mediocre in the past.

I say that since CRTs are going to be more forgiving of the scaling and 24" is relatively small by today's standards.
post #130 of 233
Quote:

That's good to hear, but I'd like to also hear from someone with, say, a 40" LCD, since that's what Apple was using to demo Apple TV in the stores, and what has looked so mediocre in the past.

I say that since CRTs are going to be more forgiving of the scaling and 24" is relatively small by today's standards.

My monitor is far more telling than a 40" LCD Tv. I'm also sitting 28 inches away while I'm watching. To get the same view on a 40", you have to sit about 3.5 feet away. This is also a professional monitor that cost $5,000. The LCD isn't going tobe nearly as good.

By the way, I'm not, at this time, questioning whether these films are 720 or 640. Just that it looks as good as 720. I've checked a few trailers, and they look pretty good as well.

Sometimes I think that people get a bit irrational about this. The first reason is that very few people sit close enough to even appreciate 480 much less 720 or any other resolution.

The second is that only some HD Tv's can properly scale up an SD video without its getting noisy, or showing digititus, or other artifacting. Then they attribute it to the video itself. Of course, it's tough to admit to oneself that the Tv purchased is the cause of the problems, but too often, it is.

I'm considered to be very picky about these things, but I'm willing to make allowances. Since Apple went to 640 x 480, things have looked fine, and that's also on my Hp 65" 1080p DLP (which I'll be replacing in a few weeks).
post #131 of 233
Quote:

My monitor is far more telling than a 40" LCD Tv. I'm also sitting 28 inches away while I'm watching. To get the same view on a 40", you have to sit about 3.5 feet away. This is also a professional monitor that cost $5,000. The LCD isn't going tobe nearly as good.

By the way, I'm not, at this time, questioning whether these films are 720 or 640. Just that it looks as good as 720. I've checked a few trailers, and they look pretty good as well.

Sometimes I think that people get a bit irrational about this. The first reason is that very few people sit close enough to even appreciate 480 much less 720 or any other resolution.

The second is that only some HD Tv's can properly scale up an SD video without its getting noisy, or showing digititus, or other artifacting. Then they attribute it to the video itself. Of course, it's tough to admit to oneself that the Tv purchased is the cause of the problems, but too often, it is.

I'm considered to be very picky about these things, but I'm willing to make allowances. Since Apple went to 640 x 480, things have looked fine, and that's also on my Hp 65" 1080p DLP (which I'll be replacing in a few weeks).

I'm sure your monitor is splendid, but my point is that CRTs do a better job of handling scaling than, say, an LCD. So something that looks good on your screen might not look so good on a fixed pixel array display.

Since that's what I originally saw iTunes video downloads on (at which time I found the PQ unacceptable), I'd be interested in hearing from someone viewing the current offerings on same.

Actually, it would be really interesting to hear about the same movie, on an LCD (or plasma), in both its rental and purchase iterations-- curious if Apple is using the same encoding for both.
post #132 of 233
Quote:

I'm sure your monitor is splendid, but my point is that CRTs do a better job of handling scaling than, say, an LCD. So something that looks good on your screen might not look so good on a fixed pixel array display.

Since that's what I originally saw iTunes video downloads on (at which time I found the PQ unacceptable), I'd be interested in hearing from someone viewing the current offerings on same.

Actually, it would be really interesting to hear about the same movie, on an LCD (or plasma), in both its rental and purchase iterations-- curious if Apple is using the same encoding for both.

It read as though you wre saying that a crt isn't critical enough.

The problems with HD Tv scaling is well known as I brought up in my last post. It's not the fault of the LCD, as it's being used at the highest resolution at all times. The fault lies in the processor chip, algorithms, and associated circuitry used.

In the computer, far more powerful, and refined, circuits and math is on hand to do the work. Most of the dedicated chips on the market for Tv's are not very good. If you get stuck with one of the bad ones, too bad.

You can't blame the video for that.
post #133 of 233
Quote:

It read as though you wre saying that a crt isn't critical enough.

The problems with HD Tv scaling is well known as I brought up in my last post. It's not the fault of the LCD, as it's being used at the highest resolution at all times. The fault lies in the processor chip, algorithms, and associated circuitry used.

In the computer, far more powerful, and refined, circuits and math is on hand to do the work. Most of the dedicated chips on the market for Tv's are not very good. If you get stuck with one of the bad ones, too bad.

You can't blame the video for that.

Sure, but the problem with the sub-DVD res, heavily compressed material Apple has been selling is that it looks particularly dreadful on exactly the kind of biggish, fixed resolution displays that consumers of their movie offerings are most likely to be viewing them on-- whereas the same stuff probably looks OK on smaller CRTs.

When the compression artifacts on SD material are already vexing, the scaling on the average LCD really makes it eye watering.

Which is why I why I wonder if the current state of the SD movies for sale, or rent, or both, have seen any improvement. Somehow it seems like, if Apple TV is going to come out of the shadows and put its best foot forward, Apple has to provide better quality SD stuff-- if for no other reason that the contrast is going to be particularly glaring next to HD material from the same store.

The stuff I saw when the Atv was introduced looked like a trial run-- just good enough to convey the concept. I don't think Apple can get away with that, now, if they're serious about making their movie business a winner (unless they figure SD video is going the same way as optical discs and ports, so they see no reason to put much effort into their SD encoding).
post #134 of 233
Quote:

It's correct, you can.

You can also begin to watch an SD rental on the ATv, or computer, and finish watching it on your iPod/iPhone during that 24 hour period.

So then you do have proof of this? Because it sounds like you know for certain - like you've done it yourself, or you've seen the screen on the AppleTV that shows a rental being moved to iTunes. (I know you can do it from iTunes to iPod, but I'm saying you can't do it from AppleTV to iTunes, because that would be the higher, DVD-resolution rental which is not playable on the iPod.)

I'm sorry, I don't have absolute proof, but it's only thing that's consistent with all of what Apple has said, and all the information and screenshots that are out there, and I'm willing to bet on it. Are you? A friendly wager? You seem absolutely 100% certain, and I'm not, so it should be a good bet for you, right?

My belief is that Apple recognizes the exact problem that addabox is outlining, and so has upped the resolution for the ATv rentals, and put up a firewall between the ATv and iTunes so people don't try to put those videos on their ipods. But the problem still remains for purchased movies and TV shows, which are all at the lower resolution.
post #135 of 233
I think that what will happen is that Apple will be renting three different resolutions.

1) Sub-DVD SD on iTunes. This file can be watched from the Mac, iPod, iPhone and AppleTV. (I wonder if this is the file included with the Fox DVDs?)
2) DVD SD on the AppleTV. This file will only be viewable on the AppleTV. - DVD resolution videos will not currently transfer to the iPod so Apple could make the argument that no functionality is lost. Accept, that is, not being able to play on the Mac.
3) HD on the AppleTV. Same as #2.

I'll just have to wait with the rest of us for the week or two it takes Apple to release the AppleTV updates.
What goes online stays online. What is online will become public.
What goes online stays online. What is online will become public.
post #136 of 233
Quote:

My belief is that Apple recognizes the exact problem that addabox is outlining, and so has upped the resolution for the ATv rentals, and put up a firewall between the ATv and iTunes so people don't try to put those videos on their ipods. But the problem still remains for purchased movies and TV shows, which are all at the lower resolution.

You are saying that no iPod can't use rentals? The keynote stated teh opposite.
You are saying that SD movie rentals on iTunes are worse quality than SD rentals on AppleTV? The keynote stated they were "DVD quality."
post #137 of 233
Quote:

You are saying that no iPod can't use rentals? The keynote stated teh opposite.

I'm saying that I don't think iPods can play movies rented via AppleTV, but they can play movies rented via iTunes. There is no "Move" function from AppleTV -> iTunes when you rent, so there's no way to get the movies to an ipod.

Quote:
You are saying that SD movie rentals on iTunes are worse quality than SD rentals on AppleTV?

Yes, that's what I'm saying. I'd be happy to be proven wrong, but it's the only thing consistent with everything I've read, and I'd be willing to bet on it.
Quote:
The keynote stated they were "DVD quality."

That was only stated for AppleTV rentals, not iTunes rentals. Watch carefully - he apparently left the impression for most people that you can move around anywhere and that "nearly-DVD" has become "DVD-quality." But watch where he says those things, and look at the web pages. They're very careful to refer to "DVD-quality" only when talking about AppleTV. They're very careful to refer to moving to iPods only when talking about iTunes rentals from your computer or purchases via AppleTV.
post #138 of 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by aresee View Post

I think that what will happen is that Apple will be renting three different resolutions.

1) Sub-DVD SD on iTunes. This file can be watched from the Mac, iPod, iPhone and AppleTV. (I wonder if this is the file included with the Fox DVDs?)
2) DVD SD on the AppleTV. This file will only be viewable on the AppleTV. - DVD resolution videos will not currently transfer to the iPod so Apple could make the argument that no functionality is lost. Accept, that is, not being able to play on the Mac.
3) HD on the AppleTV. Same as #2.

I'll just have to wait with the rest of us for the week or two it takes Apple to release the AppleTV updates.

Yup, that's exactly what I think.
post #139 of 233
Greetings all!
Does any one know if there are ANY parental controls on this new Apple TV? I have a house full of teenagers and very young children. Though I would love to purchase a new Apple TV, I am concerned that, left to their own devices, my kids would rent all kinds of inappropriate things and cost me a fortune in rental costs.

My dream Apple TV would at first require a password to purchase and rent all programing AND have a check box that allows you to remember that password OR NOT. (Like they have on iTunes) That would allowing me the kind of control that makes me very comfortable with the Apple TV.

Does it have this kind of interface, does anyone know?

Thanks for the input.
post #140 of 233
It looks like there are extensive parental controls, but I don't see many details. See here.
post #141 of 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lydilove View Post

Greetings all!
Does any one know if there are ANY parental controls on this new Apple TV? I have a house full of teenagers and very young children. Though I would love to purchase a new Apple TV, I am concerned that, left to their own devices, my kids would rent all kinds of inappropriate things and cost me a fortune in rental costs.

My dream Apple TV would at first require a password to purchase and rent all programing AND have a check box that allows you to remember that password OR NOT. (Like they have on iTunes) That would allowing me the kind of control that makes me very comfortable with the Apple TV.

Does it have this kind of interface, does anyone know?

Thanks for the input.

Excellent question. In surprised that hasn't been adressed. I expect there to be something similar to a cable box for familiarity sake.

Welcome to AI.
post #142 of 233
Quote:

Sure, but the problem with the sub-DVD res, heavily compressed material Apple has been selling is that it looks particularly dreadful on exactly the kind of biggish, fixed resolution displays that consumers of their movie offerings are most likely to be viewing them on-- whereas the same stuff probably looks OK on smaller CRTs.

When the compression artifacts on SD material are already vexing, the scaling on the average LCD really makes it eye watering.

Which is why I why I wonder if the current state of the SD movies for sale, or rent, or both, have seen any improvement. Somehow it seems like, if Apple TV is going to come out of the shadows and put its best foot forward, Apple has to provide better quality SD stuff-- if for no other reason that the contrast is going to be particularly glaring next to HD material from the same store.

The stuff I saw when the Atv was introduced looked like a trial run-- just good enough to convey the concept. I don't think Apple can get away with that, now, if they're serious about making their movie business a winner (unless they figure SD video is going the same way as optical discs and ports, so they see no reason to put much effort into their SD encoding).

To a certain extent, what you're saying is true. But, I don't agree that it's a bad as you think.

The cross section of society doesn't know, and despite what they may say, doesn't really care. The few who do will wait until what they want is available on HD.

Look, 128 kb?s is really terrible. I can even hear problems with cheap earbuds. But Apple has now sold over 4 billion of them, and very few complain about the quality of the music, evwn though they may get better headphones to listen through.

Eventually, all video will be hi def, but the publuic isn't educated enough to care now for a quality level which is better than what they get over SD Tv.

And, in case you're wondering why I say it's better, it's simple.

Almost all viewing these days is done over cable, and satellite. Bothe compress the hell out of the signal, more than Apple is doing here.

In addition, there are transmission difficulties, esp with satellite, that show blocking. That won't happen here either.

The movies show less noise as well.

Overall, they look fine, if a bit softer than you may want. But with almost everyone sitting too far from their screen to tell, it really won't affect most people.

I think it's an issue looking for an audience.

It doesn't matter what a few people think.
post #143 of 233
Quote:

So then you do have proof of this? Because it sounds like you know for certain - like you've done it yourself, or you've seen the screen on the AppleTV that shows a rental being moved to iTunes. (I know you can do it from iTunes to iPod, but I'm saying you can't do it from AppleTV to iTunes, because that would be the higher, DVD-resolution rental which is not playable on the iPod.)

I'm sorry, I don't have absolute proof, but it's only thing that's consistent with all of what Apple has said, and all the information and screenshots that are out there, and I'm willing to bet on it. Are you? A friendly wager? You seem absolutely 100% certain, and I'm not, so it should be a good bet for you, right?

You're probably right. I just checked Job's presentation on the ATv and iTunes. It was pretty sure he had said that, but he didn't.

For some reason I can't find any information on Apple's ATv section about exactly what ATv does with the files. It does show that it will play all the files the computer plays, but that's it.
post #144 of 233
Regarding AppleTV content resolution, at Macworld the Apple emps
demoed the three resolutions for widescreen at 1280x720p, the current
iTunes standard 640x360, and the new resolution for SD rentals --
720x480 anamorphic, just like DVD, but transcoded to H.264.

See the AppleTV specs for the mention of official acceptance of 720x480 anamorphic.

480 vertical lines for SD makes a big difference for the common cinematic
2.35:1 aspect ratio, which presumably were/are shipped as 640x272 files
for non-AppleTV content.

Perhaps more important is the HD datarate (they would only say 5mbps max,
which would imply somewhat more than an hour of progressive-download buffering
for a 2-hour movie using 3.0mbps DSL, the max available in many areas.)
post #145 of 233
Quote:

You're probably right. I just checked Job's presentation on the ATv and iTunes. It was pretty sure he had said that, but he didn't.

For some reason I can't find any information on Apple's ATv section about exactly what ATv does with the files. It does show that it will play all the files the computer plays, but that's it.

I watched it again, too. He does mention that purchased files will sync back to iTunes, but that is it. It is pretty shrewd the way it's all mentioned. Kudos to all who picked up on that.

I concede that my assumption of SD rentals via AppleTV could be synced back to iTunes and iDevices may indeed be absolutely incorrect.
post #146 of 233
Quote:

I watched it again, too. He does mention that purchased files will sync back to iTunes, but that is it. It is pretty shrewd the way it's all mentioned. Kudos to all who picked up on that.

I concede that my assumption of SD rentals via AppleTV could be synced back to iTunes and iDevices may indeed be absolutely incorrect.

It was a short sequence. The time for the iTunes - ATv presentation was just a few minites. PC Mag has some sections of his presentation broken out, and viewable on their own, so it's easy to get to the right spot.

What happened was that he announced movie rentals on iTunes first. That's where he said that you could start watching the movie you rented at home, and then move it to your iPod to watch on the plane.

THEN he got into the ATv, and didn't mention it again, though he mentioned auto syncing back to your computer. That's where it becomes unclear.

Can we just sync back the Tv shows, music videos, and songs we purchased over ATv, or does it also sync back the movie rentals (presumably at 720 x 480), as well as the HD movies?

That's a question I didn't see specifically addressed by him.

So the question still remains. IF we have sync back to our computer of ALL files, including HD and SD movies, then can they then be moved (possibly being transcoded in the process) to the iPod/iPhone?

We won't know until the new ATV, and software upgrades, arrive.
post #147 of 233
Quote:

It was a short sequence. The time for the iTunes - ATv presentation was just a few minites. PC Mag has some sections of his presentation broken out, and viewable on their own, so it's easy to get to the right spot.

What happened was that he announced movie rentals on iTunes first. That's where he said that you could start watching the movie you rented at home, and then move it to your iPod to watch on the plane.

THEN he got into the ATv, and didn't mention it again, though he mentioned auto syncing back to your computer. That's where it becomes unclear.

Can we just sync back the Tv shows, music videos, and songs we purchased over ATv, or does it also sync back the movie rentals (presumably at 720 x 480), as well as the HD movies?

That's a question I didn't see specifically addressed by him.

So the question still remains. IF we have sync back to our computer of ALL files, including HD and SD movies, then can they then be moved (possibly being transcoded in the process) to the iPod/iPhone?

We won't know until the new ATV, and software upgrades, arrive

I presumed it was no syncing back of HD video because even though your computer can handle it it might cause some confusion with people thinking they can sync it to their iDevices. Of course they may of just said "no syncing back of any rented media" to make it even simpler. I guess we'll find out shortly.

So far I've been quite happy with the rentals, though I'm quite surprised that we alter the film's remain time by doing a simple time or date change. Apple must have thought of this. I'm thinking they did, but that the studios didn't so Apple hasn't bothered as of yet. Or perhaps it's something that needs more than update to iTunes and it will be rectified with 10.5.2.
post #148 of 233
Quote:

I presumed it was no syncing back of HD video because even though your computer can handle it it might cause some confusion with people thinking they can sync it to their iDevices. Of course they may of just said "no syncing back of any rented media" to make it even simpler. I guess we'll find out shortly.

So far I've been quite happy with the rentals, though I'm quite surprised that we alter the film's remain time by doing a simple time or date change. Apple must have thought of this. I'm thinking they did, but that the studios didn't so Apple hasn't bothered as of yet. Or perhaps it's something that needs more than update to iTunes and it will be rectified with 10.5.2.

We'll see. But Im curious about it. Maybe not much more than a week to go before we find out. Though I'd like to be able to rent higher quality through my computer as well.

I didn't try the date thing though.

Did you try this, or did you read it? I'm asking because I'm curious to see whether changing the date back a week would then give a week to see it, or if it only works during the 24 hour period, but doesn't extend more than a day. If you have another rental, as mine already expired, perhaps you could see.
post #149 of 233
Quote:

Did you try this, or did you read it? I'm asking because I'm curious to see whether changing the date back a week would then give a week to see it, or if it only works during the 24 hour period, but doesn't extend more than a day. If you have another rental, as mine already expired, perhaps you could see.

Read it and then tried it. Whether it is the 30 day or 24 hour expiration it will add the additional time. I did it for a few years, but you can do it for many more apparantly. The better way to do it is to set your time ahead—when you have nothing waiting because it will expire them permanently—and then set it back once you have the file downloaded. This will keep your time correct and give you the additional time.
post #150 of 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiarius View Post

Regarding AppleTV content resolution, at Macworld the Apple emps
demoed the three resolutions for widescreen at 1280x720p, the current
iTunes standard 640x360, and the new resolution for SD rentals --
720x480 anamorphic, just like DVD, but transcoded to H.264.

Thanks, that confirms what we've been speculating, and goes a way towards answering addabox's original question.

On moving rentals, I found this to confirm some of the speculation:

You can move the movie between devices as many times as you wish during the rental period, but the movie can only be played on one device at a time. If you rent the movie on your Apple TV, it is not transferable to any other device and you must watch it on your Apple TV.
post #151 of 233
They've already patched the date thing.

http://www.macnn.com/articles/08/01/...tal.bug.fixed/
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
post #152 of 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiarius View Post

the current iTunes standard 640x360

Don't you mean 640x480?
post #153 of 233
Quote:

Don't you mean 640x480?

I think it might depend on whether it was widescreen or not. 640x360 is 16:9.
post #154 of 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

I just rented another movie. My clock is correct and I'm getting a 5103 error. The didn't fix it they actually broke it. I'm not the only one. Anyone who has apparently altered their clock (unsure of timeframe) will be able to download the rental but not play it. This is very discouraging and sheds a darkness over the rentals. There is no resolution on Apple's site yet. I'll call tomorrow to find a solution.

DO NOT ADJUST YOUR CLOCK TO TEST THIS OUT DO NOT ADJUST YOUR CLOCK TO TEST THIS OUT DO NOT ADJUST YOUR CLOCK TO TEST THIS OUT DO NOT ADJUST YOUR CLOCK TO TEST THIS OUT DO NOT ADJUST YOUR CLOCK TO TEST THIS OUT DO NOT ADJUST YOUR CLOCK TO TEST THIS OUT DO NOT ADJUST YOUR CLOCK TO TEST THIS OUT DO NOT ADJUST YOUR CLOCK TO TEST THIS OUT DO NOT ADJUST YOUR CLOCK TO TEST THIS OUT
post #155 of 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

Too bad, but expected.

Since it went to check with iTunes before it gave the error, I wonder what would happen if you did that, disconnected the computer from the internet, and moved it to the iPod first, as that can't get to iTunes?

Ahh! They probably figured that out too.
post #156 of 233
Does anyone if you rent iTunes movies that are playable on your iphone/computer, can you stream these to your AppleTV?

Maybe with the update, when you connect to a itunes account over the network, the "rentals" tab in iTunes will show up, and you'll be able to finish what you started on the big screen.

On a side note, how does streaming wirelessly work? I have an airport extreme N hooked up via ethernet to my appletv, and my G5 is wireless G. Would it help for streaming to have all my videos on my external drive, as an air-disk connected to my AEBS?

Thanks...
post #157 of 233
I don't understand why purchasing the film in HD on your Apple TV couldn't grant you free access to download an iPod-compatible version on your computer. Worse-case scenario, a user could extend their viewing time from 24 hours to 48 hours by starting the film in one place one day, and starting it in another the next, but what honestly is the harm in that? Throw people a freakin' bone here.
post #158 of 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsFan83 View Post

Does anyone if you rent iTunes movies that are playable on your iphone/computer, can you stream these to your AppleTV?

Yes, but only if you rent them from your computer first, and not from the AppleTV first. But not until the AppleTV update. (That seems like to be the general consensus, anyway)

Quote:
On a side note, how does streaming wirelessly work? I have an airport extreme N hooked up via ethernet to my appletv, and my G5 is wireless G. Would it help for streaming to have all my videos on my external drive, as an air-disk connected to my AEBS?

It certainly would be faster when AppleTV accessed the external HDD connected to the AEBS via Ethernet.

However, your iTunes Music folder (rentals are saved under Movies in that folder) would have to reside on that disk or it would still have to be transfered wirelessly from your G5 via 802.11g to the AEBS, then to the AppleTV via Ethernet.

I imagine the only difference would be a few seconds of delay for spooling the movie as 802.11g is certainly fast enough to accommodate a 1.5Mbps file.
post #159 of 233
So if I have iTunes referencing movies residing on my hard drive connected to AEBS, I should see a dramatic speed increase (compared to just over wirelessG), or not? Is itunes bypassed....appletv asks for the file, and it goes straight across ethernet, or does it go appletv to itunes/computer back to router then ethernet to appletv?

Thanks, sorry if its a little confusing.
post #160 of 233
I'm not 100% sure as the software may change, but currently iTunes has to be open to allow AppleTV "Take 1" to stream content from a connected computer. Also, you won't see a "dramatic speed increase" as it'll start playing as soon as enough is queued, which should only be a couple seconds, certainly not enough time to keep you waiting. Now, if your G5 is already being bogged down with other tasks, especially heavy network traffic, then there will be a longer delay.

You can also synchronize files from one iTunes account. You can pick and choose, or set up the criteria you wish to sync as the AppleTV HDD may not hold your entire library. For example, you can choose the most recently un-played movies or TV Shows. I imagine this will be the same with movie rentals. Since it can't hold your entire library you can also stream from that computer too.

I hope they make this a little more seamless than in "Take 1" which required to go to Setting and switch from synced to streaming, even though it was the same computer. I hope they allow for the AppleTV to show all the media from the synced computer and then determine if it is a locally synced file or one that requires streaming.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › First Look: Apple TV 2.0 and iTunes Movie Rentals (photos, video)