or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › First Look: Apple's new MacBook Air (with photos and video)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

First Look: Apple's new MacBook Air (with photos and video) - Page 4

post #121 of 187
"Earlier this week Apple announced its MacBook Air, and within hours we had the mystery of its "60% smaller" CPU uncovered. Or at least we thought.

It turns out there's even more depth to the CPU in the MacBook Air, it's even less conventional than we originally thought. Here's what happened over the past couple of days."
AnandTech: The MacBook Air CPU Mystery: More Details Revealed
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #122 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCMacFan View Post

My point was on the overall real estate inside the 12inch PB case. They fit a lot in a small case and that was 4 years ago.

Maybe I'm looking at the wrong specs, but it looks like the old 12 inch PB was 50%+ thicker and similarly heavier. Overall, that's not nearly as small (in volume) as the new model, and that's with a smaller screen.

Could they have gone with a smaller screen to make it narrower? Sure.

Could they have gone for as narrow as possible with a 13 inch screen, and not cared how thick the box needed to be? Sure.

But I'm not convinced that either of those choices would have ended up with a better machine than what we're looking at now.

And I think the real test of a machine that is designed primarily for shape and size is to actually hold one in your hand, which it sounds like nobody on this forum has been able to do yet.

People bashed the "fatty" nano based on pictures, but people fall in love when they see them in person and get to hold them. Until people put an Air under one arm and whatever it is to be compared with under the other, we're all just wildly speculating.
post #123 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

I myself am torn. I love 4:3 for most things (esp. Word and the web), but widescreen for watching DVDs, something I do a lot on my notebook (OMG... I'm someone who actually USES THEIR OPTICAL DRIVE! Heretic! Leper outcast unclean! ).

I kinda wish they could all be 3:2, but whatev. Just as long as they aren't 16:9. I don't like having so little vertical space to work in. Even the current 16:10 kinda annoys me, and that's with the dock on the side. \

What is special about 3:2? I think some pictures standards are like that, but I don't know anything else. I really don't think there's necessarily a special aspect ratio that all computing devices should adhere to, 4:3 isn't old, it's just an aspect ratio. There might be a use that it fits better than other ratios. The computer usually doesn't care, computers already do put out 3:2, 4:3, 5:4, 16:10, 16:9 and so on, and some panorama displays too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Me too. Remember the Macs that were taller than they were wide, matching a sheet of notebook paper. That made sense back then! Who would have thought the screen would be turn 90˚ and stretched out even wider.

The entire machine might have been taller than it was wide but the screen was wider than it was tall. I think it's the screen that's the most important. Actually displaying a full sheet of paper on the screen in portrait mode would have been more useful than the shape of the box. That said, 16:10 is about the size of two sheets of paper side-by-side.
post #124 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

Maybe I'm looking at the wrong specs, but it looks like the old 12 inch PB was 50%+ thicker and similarly heavier. Overall, that's not nearly as small (in volume) as the new model, and that's with a smaller screen.

The MB Air is actually half as thick as the 12" Powerbook if you average the front and rear heights.
post #125 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

What is special about 3:2?


Seems kinda obvious, given my usage patterns, which I cited.

It's a good compromise between my Word and Web use, and my DVD watching.

I do sometimes use Photoshop and Captivate, but not enough to really pull me one way or another.


.
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
post #126 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

What is special about 3:2?

16:9 is 1280 by 800, which is what the air has.

3:2 would be 1200 by 800. Shaving 80 pixels off the side doesn't seem to me like a big enough difference for most people to even notice.
post #127 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Me too. Remember the Macs that were taller than they were wide, matching a sheet of notebook paper. That made sense back then! Who would have thought the screen would be turn 90˚ and stretched out even wider.

I remember a line of CRT monitors way back when (not made by Apple) that you could turn 90 degrees and they'd do either portrait or landscape mode, depending on orientation.

Thought they were pretty cool, but they never caught on, mainly due to the price. \

I also seem to remember seeing some cute little portrait monitors sitting atop some old IIci's and IIsi's at my community college back in the '90s. Don't recall if they were Apple-made or not


.
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
post #128 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

16:9 is 1280 by 800, which is what the air has.

3:2 would be 1200 by 800. Shaving 80 pixels off the side doesn't seem to me like a big enough difference for most people to even notice.


1280 by 800 is actually 16:10, not 16:9.

If it really were 16:9, it'd be 1280 by 720. Going 3:2 with that, that'd be 1080 by 720 (or 1280 by 854, if you want to go the other way), i.e. a 200 pixel difference. I think most ppl would notice that.

.
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
post #129 of 187
When I was graduating from college in 2006 I had noticed something around campus, tons of Macbooks. The little white things were popping up all over the place.

I see the MacBook Air as a natural fit for college students and college life: Most colleges nowadays are complete wireless environments from dorms to the middle of campus wifi networks typically blanket campuses, many colleges offer their students remote storage on servers so that papers, powerpoints and the like can be accessed anywhere from your profile, and college kids love anything that would lighten their load as carrying a full 5+ lbs laptop around is a pain sometimes (trust me).

So, a wireless environment+remote storage+small form factor = good for college kids.

Now some of you will scoff at college kids being able to afford the laptop, but if they are will and able to (or their parents are) buy a MacBook priced at $1099-1499 I think many (not all) wouldn't mind saving up that extra few hundred for a nifty little machine.

However outside the wireless envronment that is all friendly with remote storage, the MacBook Air falls apart. It isn't practical for every day living, rather it is a supplement for pple who go to college, work at nice corporate office, or have a really nice house.

That being said, the MacBook Air 2.0 next year will be awesome.
post #130 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Me too. Remember the Macs that were taller than they were wide, matching a sheet of notebook paper. That made sense back then! Who would have thought the screen would be turn 90˚ and stretched out even wider.

The one nice thing with widescreen is that it makes it much more likely one gets a full sized keyboard. Anything 12inches or more has the space. I have about 3 ultraportables at home and the older ones used to have very questionable keyboards. I'm a a professor and so type a lot.

I'm using this in a bar having a beer as I type this and so things like a good screen and keyboard matter as I like to work outside and I don't want to have to go home and always be plugging it into different attachments.
post #131 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

I remember a line of CRT monitors way back when (not made by Apple) that you could turn 90 degrees and they'd do either portrait or landscape mode, depending on orientation.

Thought they were pretty cool, but they never caught on, mainly due to the price. \

I also seem to remember seeing some cute little portrait monitors sitting atop some old IIci's and IIsi's at my community college back in the '90s. Don't recall if they were Apple-made or not

Macintosh Portrait Display
— 640x870
— 1 bit (up to 256 shades of gray)
— 35lbs
— 13.1"H x 11.5W x 14.9"D
— b.1989 — d.1992


That is all I could find from Apple. I guess it was a 3rd party product.


Here is my first Mac:
Macintosh Performa 575
— 640x480
— 14" RBG
— 33Mhz Motorola
— 4MB RAM (had 20MB for an $800 premium, I think)
— 250MB HDD
— 2x CD-ROM
— System 7.1
— 40.5lbs
— 17.9"H x 13.5"W x 16.5"D
— b.1994 — d.1995 (used until 1997)
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #132 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMacConvert View Post

When I was graduating from college in 2006 I had noticed something around campus, tons of Macbooks. The little white things were popping up all over the place.

I see the MacBook Air as a natural fit for college students and college life:

Yeah, though I find a lot of college students never think about weight issues when purchasing. Many opt for a MBP 15 or even 17inch. So price isn't an issue.

By contrast, grad students, especially MBA and law, love the Dell D420s, small Toshibas and Sonys.
post #133 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCMacFan View Post

Yeah, though I find a lot of college students never think about weight issues when purchasing. Many opt for a MBP 15 or even 17inch. So price isn't an issue.

By contrast, grad students, especially MBA and law, love the Dell D420s, small Toshibas and Sonys.

I can see that. The Air isn't going to be my only machine. If I did only one machine it surely would be a MB or MBP.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #134 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCMacFan View Post

Yeah, though I find a lot of college students never think about weight issues when purchasing. Many opt for a MBP 15 or even 17inch. So price isn't an issue.

By contrast, grad students, especially MBA and law, love the Dell D420s, small Toshibas and Sonys.


Hmmm true, but then again I never thought anyone outside of the art crowd would buy a Macbook b/c of the screen size. I always thought Apple's laptops had strangely small screens, I guess it is a way of pushing people to buy the MacBook Pro.

But I still think this computer will appeal to people who aren't crazy, heavy computer users, kids who need to write a paper, do a keynote presentation, have a light internet station. Plus, lets face it, as far as laptops go, its pure sex. lol It's beautiful, and that (much like the pink and blue iBooks) will appeal to pple who may not know exactly what they are getting......and thus the accessories will be cash cows.
post #135 of 187
AnandTech may be wrong about this being a mini-Merom C2D. The developer notes for the MBA state that it supports SSE4, so this might be a Penryn in here.

http://developer.apple.com/documenta...loperNote.html
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #136 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

AnandTech may be wrong about this being a mini-Merom C2D. The developer notes for the MBA state that it supports SSE4, so this might be a Penryn in here.
http://developer.apple.com/documenta...loperNote.html

Do we know what the practical performance difference would be?
post #137 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

People bashed the "fatty" nano based on pictures, but people fall in love when they see them in person and get to hold them. Until people put an Air under one arm and whatever it is to be compared with under the other, we're all just wildly speculating.

You're very right about that. From the leaked pictures prior to it's release I thought the 3g nano was hideous. But as soon as I saw one and held it I was won over. I now own one and love it. A very versatile iPod. The MBA may very well be the same in that regard.
post #138 of 187
Criticizing the MBA for lack of ports and this n that, is like complaining that the Enzo Ferrari doesn't have 7 seats, or doesn't have an in-car DVD system.
Everyone can complain about something or another. There are cars that do 50mpg. There are cars that carry 7-8 people easily. There are cars that can traverse over rocky terrain. There are cars that blaze over 200mph. THere are cars that sell for a really cheap price. But there are no cars that do ALL of them.
The complaints made against the MBA is like the above analogy: Seems that Apple should have done the following: 2.2lb, 10" screen, built-in blu-ray, thus somehow fit a 1080p display into that tiny 10" screen, 8hrs battery life thats replaceable, 1" thick, have at least 1 FW 800 and 3 USB ports, full range of audio and video outputs, a 128GB SSD drive, at least a 2.2Ghz C2D chip and at least an 8800 nVidia mobile chip. Oh and still sell it for US$1000.

It's a very specialised machine. The MacBook was never designed for mobile professional artists. The Mac Pro was not ever designed for granny at home to just read on the web. The MacBook Air was not designed for for the poweruser.

End of story.
post #139 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

You're very right about that. From the leaked pictures prior to it's release I thought the 3g nano was hideous. But as soon as I saw one and held it I was won over. I now own one and love it. A very versatile iPod. The MBA may very well be the same in that regard.

Ditto feelings on the 3G Nano. Though I didn't buy one, i am quite content with my iPhone for normal use and my Shuffle for the gym.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #140 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWintoxication View Post

oh.. did anyone mention why AAPL has dropped to 160??

The entire stock market is getting sucker punched, not just Apple.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #141 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

I think right now is a fantastic buying opportunity - when it's back at 200 before long people will be kicking themselves for not getting in.

I liked getting in at 90 a whole lot better.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #142 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCMacFan View Post

Do you have any reason to believe if you just changed the screen to 13.3, it would need to add a full 2 inches in width and 1.25lbs in weight?


Sure, the ports that pull down on the right hand side need a good inch of space, and on the other side, there needs to be room for the magsafe connector. In terms of weight - the battery in the Air is huge and is no doubt a contributing factor.
post #143 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The 160GB drive is two platters the 80GB drive is one. Id est, it's too thick.


I don't think they make 1.8" 5400RPM drives.


I'm not sure what that would do. people are complainign about 64 and 80GB, what would a small SSD card really accomplish?


No, it shares the optical drive using Bonjour. And for Windows, shows it hoe to read HFS+ formatted discs. I don't see any reason why you won't be able to play DVDs via Remote Disc.


Now that is a good idea. Or maybe an Ethernet jack, too. It would sure make the DVD drive sales better.



i meant to have a have an extra slot for SSD storage on top of whichever built in storage you have. Why? cause SSD will be cheaper and cheaper, as its capacity will increase exponentially.



you sure that remote disc will let me play DVD movies and allow me to watch it on MBA simultaneously?... i doubt that...


the only reason i thought why they didn't put an USB port on the external dvd drive is power concerns; the unit might need all the power that an USB can provide and not being able to share anymore power to other devices.. I guess they didn't want to make the DVD drive sorta like a docking base..
that said.. maybe they should just put a dvd drive on the new Time Capsule..
post #144 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWintoxication View Post

i meant to have a have an extra slot for SSD storage on top of whichever built in storage you have. Why? cause SSD will be cheaper and cheaper, as its capacity will increase exponentially.



you sure that remote disc will let me play DVD movies and allow me to watch it on MBA simultaneously?... i doubt that...


the only reason i thought why they didn't put an USB port on the external dvd drive is power concerns; the unit might need all the power that an USB can provide and not being able to share anymore power to other devices.. I guess they didn't want to make the DVD drive sorta like a docking base..
that said.. maybe they should just put a dvd drive on the new Time Capsule..

The read that the USB port on the MBA outputs a good deal more power then the IEEE specifications when the DVD drive is attached. They wou;dn't have to have teh USB port on the DVD drive powered, just allow it to transfer data. But I can see where this miht cinfuse and upset people who plug in theor iPhone overnight thinking it will charge to find that it's DOA the the next morning. The solution is obvoisuly power management in the DVD drive, but that would add complexity to an item that will be widely purchased and only rarely used so why bother with all that.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #145 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by the cool gut View Post

Sure, the ports that pull down on the right hand side need a good inch of space, and on the other side, there needs to be room for the magsafe connector. In terms of weight - the battery in the Air is huge and is no doubt a contributing factor.

Ummm last time I checked the ports and magsafe jack are not on the screen. The screen simply doesn't need that huge bezel, except that it is apparently glass and needs some sort of protection from breakage. I've got an idea... why not make it not glass? Isn't glass heavy, too?
post #146 of 187
Tha aluminum body also adds weight, and strength, when compared to the magnesium alloy and plastic cases of other lightweight laptops.

Trust me. Mag alloy looks tough and has great surface strength, but it is nearly as fragile as glass if you drop it.

Now Aluminum will dent, as my iPod Classic can attest to, but I'd rather have a dented case than a cracked/broken one like my wife's Toshiba.
post #147 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Ummm last time I checked the ports and magsafe jack are not on the screen. The screen simply doesn't need that huge bezel, except that it is apparently glass and needs some sort of protection from breakage.

That's right, they are on the base, and the lid needs to close flush with the base, hence the space on the sides.
post #148 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

AnandTech may be wrong about this being a mini-Merom C2D. The developer notes for the MBA state that it supports SSE4, so this might be a Penryn in here.
http://developer.apple.com/documenta...loperNote.html

That might be true. Perhaps these are like the 3.0Ghz Woodcrests that the other makers didn't want. Precursors to LV Mobile Penryns or something that other makers are willing to wait a couple quarters for the real thing or in higher volumes.

The Air isn't going to move in large volume even if it takes 99% share in the ultralight market...
post #149 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Ummm last time I checked the ports and magsafe jack are not on the screen. The screen simply doesn't need that huge bezel, except that it is apparently glass and needs some sort of protection from breakage. I've got an idea... why not make it not glass? Isn't glass heavy, too?

It's exceptionally short sided to think that Apple didn't make the width and lenght of the case as small as possible. (car analogy warning) Every car on the road could be made much lighter and therefore get better gas mileage, but at the expense of reducing it to a death trap. Structural integrity shouldn't be taken lightly in a portable computer.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #150 of 187
What a waste of money. The G4 Cube failed for being overpriced and underpowered and underfeatured. The AirBook will fail for the same reason. The MacBook is already small, and the AirBook has the same size footprint, only slightly thinner. No one will spend $300 more for a laptop that is slower and offers less than the MacBook. Apple is even dumb enough to offer Final Cut Express on the AirBook page! You cannot do any video editing on the AirBook because you cannot connect any DV camera to it! Forget about taking it with you on vacation.

At least the PowerBook Duo gave you the option to add the remaining ports with a MiniDock. The AirBook doesn't even do that.

The G4 Cube was $1,799 and it failed. The Power Mac G4 was $200 less and offered more power and more features. The MacBook is $300 less and offers more power and more features. The MacBook and my PowerBook also both fit inside an envelope because they are only 1 inch thick. 0.77 is not much of a difference.

Non-removable battery? Since laptop batteries only last a few years, how much will Apple charge for a new battery? Hopefully it would be the same price as an external PowerBook battery with free installation.
post #151 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by the cool gut View Post

That's right, they are on the base, and the lid needs to close flush with the base, hence the space on the sides.

You don't get it.

Current MBA:

Code:


XX---------XX
XXkkkkkkkkkXX
MSCCCCCCCCCPP



XX = Bezel
--------- = Screen
kkkkkkkkk = Keyboard
MS = Magsafe
CCCCCCCCC = Main Board, Battery, Internals
PP = Ports

Could be:

Code:


|---------|
|kkkkkkkkk|
MSCCCCCCCPP



Get it now? How on earth does the positioning of the ports mean a bezel is required. The screen needs to be 11 3/8" in width, and the keyboard needs to be 10 3/4" in width, but the main board and internals could be reduced in length further. Are you saying there's no room or the ports under the keyboard? I've got an idea, how about putting them in the front of the keyboard (parallel to the trackpad)?
post #152 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It's exceptionally short sided to think that Apple didn't make the width and lenght of the case as small as possible. (car analogy warning) Every car on the road could be made much lighter and therefore get better gas mileage, but at the expense of reducing it to a death trap. Structural integrity shouldn't be taken lightly in a portable computer.

Oh, I guess that would explain the bezel on the MacBook Pro...

Not to mention every other lightweight portable, NONE of which have a space wasting 3/4" bezel on both sides (well except the eePC, but the eePC costs next to nothing!).
post #153 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Oh, I guess that would explain the bezel on the MacBook Pro...

You think it makes more sense that the dozens of Apple engineering working on this project for a year never once thought to give it a smaller footprint, and your rudimentary observations are somehow more valid than their intricate, empirical knowledge of the device?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #154 of 187
Why does everyone seem to forget the poor, original Mac portable in their histories?
http://lowendmac.com/pb/art/macportable.jpg
I think there are still people in wheelchairs as a result of resting those things on their laps.

post #155 of 187
I think it's purely aesthetics, not an engineering choice. They wanted to have a very gently tapering arc to the edge all around to give the illusion and cachet of super thinness.
Given the minimum screen depth, that arc + screensize determines the size. The more the edges are squared off, the more conventional and bulky it looks, with its nice-but-big-for-an-ultralight screen. That thin aesthetic requires/explains the port-dropdown. No vertical sides allowed anywhere -- that would make it just a Macbook refresh.

Clearly they could have made it smaller engineeringwise. That above as-thin-without-taper 12.1" R500, with a hotter HD, has not only the Air's power, video-, audio-out but an entire internal DVD, 3 USB, Firewire, Ethernet, audio-in, SD card, PC card (for internal WWAN, not a big USB dongle housing the antenna). All this isn't necessary (would internal WWAN have been nicest for the Air's target audience?) and the Air's taper prohibits the DVD, but Apple could have crammed some of the rest in if they wanted. And ruined the unique minimalist aesthetic.
post #156 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdotcheung View Post

Criticizing the MBA for lack of ports and this n that, is like complaining that the Enzo Ferrari doesn't have 7 seats, or doesn't have an in-car DVD system.
Everyone can complain about something or another. There are cars that do 50mpg. There are cars that carry 7-8 people easily. There are cars that can traverse over rocky terrain. There are cars that blaze over 200mph. THere are cars that sell for a really cheap price. But there are no cars that do ALL of them.
The complaints made against the MBA is like the above analogy: Seems that Apple should have done the following: 2.2lb, 10" screen, built-in blu-ray, thus somehow fit a 1080p display into that tiny 10" screen, 8hrs battery life thats replaceable, 1" thick, have at least 1 FW 800 and 3 USB ports, full range of audio and video outputs, a 128GB SSD drive, at least a 2.2Ghz C2D chip and at least an 8800 nVidia mobile chip. Oh and still sell it for US$1000.

It's a very specialised machine. The MacBook was never designed for mobile professional artists. The Mac Pro was not ever designed for granny at home to just read on the web. The MacBook Air was not designed for for the poweruser.

End of story.


Asking for just TWO usb ports is hardly asking the world though, it it?!


.
post #157 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Macintosh Portrait Display
— 640x870
— 1 bit (up to 256 shades of gray)
— 35lbs
— 13.1"H x 11.5W x 14.9"D
— b.1989 — d.1992


That is all I could find from Apple. I guess it was a 3rd party product.


Here is my first Mac:
Macintosh Performa 575
— 640x480
— 14" RBG
— 33Mhz Motorola
— 4MB RAM (had 20MB for an $800 premium, I think)
— 250MB HDD
— 2x CD-ROM
— System 7.1
— 40.5lbs
— 17.9"H x 13.5"W x 16.5"D
— b.1994 — d.1995 (used until 1997)




Ah, memories. My first Mac was a SE/30, and I still remember it fondly, crappy tiny 9" black n' white screen and all.

.
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
post #158 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

Ah, memories. My first Mac was a SE/30, and I still remember it fondly, crappy tiny 9" black n' white screen and all.

.

Mine was a Mac Plus. Only retired it two years ago after 13 years of use, including an intercontinental flight in a dufflebag. Still the best keyboard I've ever used.

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply
post #159 of 187
Ive has got a problem here. This new Macbook Air looks stunning! All of a sudden the Macbook Pro - Macbook - iPod Touch and iPhone look like common "bricks"

I also love the way the new power cable connects to the MBAir. It just flows from your desk i/o coming sideways it is a little detail, but it gives the user such a nice feel.

I also love the way the cooling vents are integrated into the curviness of the shape. It is sensual minimalisme. The way the ports are protected from the dust.

Dammit! You are so beautifull!
post #160 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosstheboss View Post

Asking for just TWO usb ports is hardly asking the world though, it it?!


.


What do you need to attach? Remember that people buying an ultra-light (I ordered my Air today) are trying to slim down on the computer and likely on attachments as well.

The Air has a multi-touch trackpad: leave the mouse at home.

Printing can be done wirelessly.

While out and about, the only thing I will need to attach to my Air is my camera so I can put photos and video clips to use immediately (my camera only has USB, no FW, so no problems at all; it also has hi def video!). That comes to a grand total of one USB port that I will need.

If you really need two USB ports, you are already lugging a couple of extra things around, so a tiny USB hub wouldn't change much. You could always buy a MB or MBP if you need more power. The Air is about lightness and slimness. All excess is cut.

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › First Look: Apple's new MacBook Air (with photos and video)