or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Sources: MacBook Air battery replacements take only minutes

Sources: MacBook Air battery replacements take only minutes - Page 4

post #121 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

I wonder if the hard drive is as easy to access? Buy the 80GB version now, wait for SSD prices to get reasonable...

While still high for most people's taste, 64GB for $999 is not a very good price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rain View Post

Anyone thinking of buying this slim jim?
Seriously... not a peep from anyone on this forum or anyone i've talked to is pre-ordering or even interested.
Maybe people will be interested when they actually get to see one in real life.

Wow! Only reading what you want to read, eh? There have been many mentions from people on all these MBA threads from people who have ordered or will order. The last time I checked the MacOSXHints poll it was about a 50/50 split between the buyers and non-buyers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

You are a frigg'n liar!

That did seem to be a common compliant during the months before the iPhone's release. A common reason seemed to be "How am I going to reset it when it freezes up?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetim View Post

I am reading a lot more cons that pros on this product on every board I've been to.

Complainers have always have a louder voice than the content people. Jesus could tell you that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREB View Post

After reading Apple's own ordering page, and as linked to the Apple MacBook Air ordering page for additional AppleCare (as I purchase AppleCare whenever available)

If a battery dies within a year then it'll surely be covered. The recent battery program for MBs was covered for two years, which is well out of the regular warranty date.

I've always had to have several batteries because 2 hours just doesn't cut it, but I'd bet that most people upgrade their MBA to a newer model long before theirs dies. If, for some reason, my MBA dies requiring me to send it away for a week, I'll simply buy another one and then return it (within the 14 days) after getting my old one back. i know most people can't afford to do that, but the target market for this machine will be more apt to do something like that, though I doubt most would think of it.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #122 of 221
Quote:

... but I seldom flame. I would love to know what apples target market and sales estimates are. Is this for high end executives? Rich yuppies who can afford to go to starbucks 4 times a week? Who wants this?

A bit jealous of rich and high end people, eh?

(I am not in any way claiming to be either).
post #123 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

Why all this whining about what happens if the battery suddenly dies on a trip? Batteries don't suddenly die .....

Agree. And, using AC (at one's destination, or in an airport, or in many flights) is an option too!
post #124 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Complainers have always have a louder voice than the content people. Jesus could tell you that.

If a battery dies within a year then it'll surely be covered. The recent battery program for MBs was covered for two years, which is well out of the regular warranty date.

I've always had to have several batteries because 2 hours just doesn't cut it, but I'd bet that most people upgrade their MBA to a newer model long before theirs dies. If, for some reason, my MBA dies requiring me to send it away for a week, I'll simply buy another one and then return it (within the 14 days) after getting my old one back. i know most people can't afford to do that, but the target market for this machine will be more apt to do something like that, though I doubt most would think of it.

Very, very, very true for the first comment, as these threads will prove.

Very good idea on the second one. I wish Apple supplied a temp machine during the make-over. In Japan, car inspections typically take 2 or 3 days and are mandatory every two years. When your car goes into the shop, the shop lets you use one of their cars. It ain't always the most recent model nor the cleanest beast out there, but it certainly holds down the fort. It also costs a heck of a lot more than a computer. It's an idea...

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

post #125 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by lundy View Post

I especially like the comment about working in a factory with no AC power. What the hell kind of factory has no AC power? LOL

Dude i'm laughing out loud ... I mean you can't ACCESS the power ... sorry i didn't think i had to be so detailed.

when you move from station to station you do not have access to power. even the orange extension cables cannot get the power to you as you you are shooting large machinary in many locations. I know i have a machine that does it ... i just wish it was this new one . For location still and video photographers it would be nice to be able to swap batteries like i can with cameras and even lights. the point is people in large numbers tolerated the ipod apple tech replace battery and your down for a week... but not notebook users.
post #126 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

Still is clearly no way to judge any item would be a success in Japan or anywhere else at this stage.

Perhaps this might be better, then?

http://www.macpolls.com/index.php

Though not exactly a scientific poll, it is possibly more representative than the preliminary data from my hometown of Nowheresville:

Of 6311 votes,

549 have ordered (8.71 %)
830 are planning to order (13.15%)
Repeat for those with math skills not necessarily on par with a rocket scientist: 21.86% have or plan to order a MacBook Air.

1209 are undecided
3723 do not plan to buy

As this computer is not by any understanding designed to be a mainstream device for "everyone", the large number not planning to buy is expected. What probably was not expected it the rather high number of people who actually are wavering: 19.16%.

Looks like the guys down at my local shop might have known what they were talking about...

post #127 of 221
Quote:

I'll simply buy another one and then return it (within the 14 days) after getting my old one back. i know most people can't afford to do that, but the target market for this machine will be more apt to do something like that, though I doubt most would think of it.

people are joking about this being a disposable computer you know ... sounds like you are serious
post #128 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

A bit jealous of rich and high end people, eh?

(I am not in any way claiming to be either).

yes. I would like this as a third machine

my 24" imac is a joy ... and i love my new macbook.
post #129 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Though not exactly a scientific poll, it is possibly more representative than the preliminary data from my hometown of Nowheresville:

Of 6311 votes,

Repeat for those with math skills not necessarily on par with a rocket scientist: 21.86% have or plan to order a MacBook Air.

1209 are undecided
3723 do not plan to buy

As this computer is not by any understanding designed to be a mainstream device for "everyone", the large number not planning to buy is expected. What probably was not expected it the rather high number of people who actually are wavering: 19.16%.

Looks like the guys down at my local shop might have known what they were talking about...

And as somebody at Macworld posted…

The Mac Book Air is not for everybody.
But neither is the Mac Mini, MacBook, MacBook Pro, iMac, Mac Pro Quad- or 8-Core.
Or the Tata Nano or Bugatti Veyron.

And even if it isn't for some now, look at all the new technology we can expect in future Mac products.

Love that Steve is always thinking out of the box. If only we could find a way to put all the whining idiots in one. For sure it would have to be sealed. Otherwise the smell would continue to permeate.
post #130 of 221
Quote:

Sorry i'm not buying the interpretation of this article that we can skip in with the laptop and 3 minutes later we are off on our merry way. If you have ever had to deal with an ipod batter you would understand. I believe when your out of warranty there will be 3rd party solutions to replace ... buy you will have to wait until it ships to whoever. ... but if battery dies in warranty (i've had 3 ipod batteries die in warranty) you will be down about a week.

apple is getting better and better with batteries and i have no issues with my nano. I hope this new battery works. and i hope you really get 5 hours with it because i am lucky to get 3 with my macbook.

The laptop has 10 screws in the bottom. iPods have a lot of popping an prying to get to the insides.
post #131 of 221
Quote:

The laptop has 10 screws in the bottom. iPods have a lot of popping an prying to get to the insides.

this is true and it sounds like at least this will be better than ipod on that issue. If apple gives us access to that back in warranty and lets us put in replacement ... then i would feel much better.
post #132 of 221
Quote:

this is true and it sounds like at least this will be better than ipod on that issue. If apple gives us access to that back in warranty and lets us put in replacement ... then i would feel much better.

Of course not. No OEM is going to give an average Joe carte blanche access to the internals of a precision machine and still validate the warranty. Would you? Think of the dumbest person you know and then tell me if you'd care if they fiddled with its guts.
post #133 of 221
I love how apple warns you that they MAY trash you harddrive and its not their fault when they replace your battery. Read the link to apple off this main article:

"Will the data on my MacBook Air be preserved?
Don't rely on it being preserved. Many repairs require Apple to replace or reformat the hard disk, which will result in the loss of your data. Please make sure you back up your data on a regular basis to minimize your data loss. .Mac members may download and use Backup to save an archive of their data to a series of CDs. Apple and its AASPs are not responsible for any damage to or loss of any applications, data, or other information stored on your MacBook Air while performing service."
post #134 of 221
Quote:

I love how apple warns you that they MAY trash you harddrive and its not their fault when they replace your battery. Read the link to apple off this main article:

"Will the data on my MacBook Air be preserved?
Don't rely on it being preserved. Many repairs require Apple to replace or reformat the hard disk, which will result in the loss of your data. Please make sure you back up your data on a regular basis to minimize your data loss. .Mac members may download and use Backup to save an archive of their data to a series of CDs. Apple and its AASPs are not responsible for any damage to or loss of any applications, data, or other information stored on your MacBook Air while performing service."

Same damn warning from every service on the planet
post #135 of 221
Quote:

Of course not. No OEM is going to give an average Joe carte balance access to the internals of a precision machine and still validate the warranty. Would you? Think of the dumbest person you know working on your machine and then tell me if you'd care if they fiddled with the guts.

i agree with you. but it goes to my point that this is being touted as an untethered machine with wireless connection without option wired connection ... and yet 3-5 hours you are force tethered to power supply. So if it is a tethered machine why not give us an ethernet port.

btw off topic ... but when i installed my airport extreme n hub and had trouble the apple technician told me it is frequently necessary to use the ethernet wire to configure some stuff first and then unplug the wire when all is functioning. What are the teckies at apple going to do without the ethernet wire on this machine when connecting to the basestation. I bet the apple discussion area will be on fire with flames.
post #136 of 221
If it takes minutes and is so easy why do you have to mail it in? I would think the geniuses at the apple store could do it, or just include it in a $150 do it yourself kit with instructions,replacement screws, screw driver and battery.
post #137 of 221
Quote:

He is the dumbest person.

i'm the dumbest person because i think apple was stupid in not figuring out a way to put replacement batteies on a lap top ... like all other laptops in the world ... including the 3 lb ones. OK if you want to go there fine.
post #138 of 221
Quote:

Same damn warning from every service on the planet

not true. I can replace my macbook battery myself and not have to worry about it. I can't believe so many people think this non user replace battery is a good thing.
post #139 of 221
Quote:

If only we could find a way to put all the whining idiots in one. For sure it would have to be sealed. Otherwise the smell would continue to permeate.

Sorry ... i don't drink apple koolaid.
post #140 of 221
Quote:

i agree with you. but it goes to my point that this is being touted as an untethered machine with wireless connection without option wired connection ... and yet 3-5 hours you are force tethered to power supply. So if it is a tethered machine why not give us an ethernet port.

being tethered to an AC adapter and tethered to an ethernet are two very different things. A/C powers are much more ubiquitous than ethernet jacks. If Tesla was smarter perhaps we'd be powering everything through the air right now...and living to a ripe old age or 35 before the cancer gets us. It would help with thinning the population density. Soylent Power?

Quote:
btw off topic ... but when i installed my airport extreme n hub and had trouble the apple technician told me it is frequently necessary to use the ethernet wire to configure some stuff first and then unplug the wire when all is functioning. What are the teckies at apple going to do without the ethernet wire on this machine when connecting to the basestation. I bet the apple discussion area will be on fire with flames.

It's been mentioned before, this isn't designed to be ones only machine. It's a supplementary machine for traveling. One could use a similar argument with any ultra-portable as they are too slow to do any real crunching. It's there focus.I don't understand this need that every computer must fit everybody's needs. It's an addition to the line, not a replacement to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuBeck View Post

If it takes minutes and is so easy why do you have to mail it in? I would think the geniuses at the apple store could do it, or just include it in a $150 do it yourself kit with instructions,replacement screws, screw driver and battery.

It'll be cheaper than that. A new Apple battery is $129 (all Mac batteries) and those are much denser. Id est, more expensive to produce. I'd expect a 3rd-party product to be under $100.

Quote:

not true. I can replace my macbook battery myself and not have to worry about it. I can't believe so many people think this non user replace battery is a good thing.

I haven't heard anyone state that it's good, just that it isn't a big deal. The alternative would be a larger case.

The only "good" I can see from this is that it might warrant an external battery option w/ a MagSafe power-passthrough. That is much better than having to switch out batteries to use and to charge them up again. It's a royal pain! Especially, because I use a TechShell which has also has to be removed.
post #141 of 221
Quote:

Sorry ... i don't drink apple koolaid.

You drink complaints on forums koolaid!
Or you dish it out.
Windows Development Team Motto: We are not happy until YOU are not happy
post #142 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyoe View Post

You drink complaints on forums koolaid!
Or you dish it out.

Not complaints

Just disappointments. Hey I admitted i would like to have this as a third machine if i was rich
post #143 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Theoretically do something is different than someone qualified to do it so it won't void a warranty. That's why the battery is sold with installation and it has to be sent to Apple to have a certified tech install it.

Is that English?
post #144 of 221
Quote:

Of course not. No OEM is going to give an average Joe carte blanche access to the internals of a precision machine and still validate the warranty. Would you? Think of the dumbest person you know and then tell me if you'd care if they fiddled with its guts.

This is so stupid. As long as you don't break anything, you don't void the warranty, period. The dumbest person accidentally severs the power leads from the battery to the connector? Warranty voided. Me or you unscrewing the 10 screws in the MacBook Air and changing the battery? Warranty definitely not voided, as we wouldn't make that mistake.
post #145 of 221
Quote:

Not complaints

Just disappointments. Hey I admitted i would like to have this as a third machine if i was rich

Yep. I would too.

Anyway, the main point that people are trying to make is that slimness is a factor in Apple's decision. It is aimed at those who would sacrifice speed for looks, weight and a slim computer or/and have this as a second/third machine and have the money to shell out for it (both)
post #146 of 221
Quote:

being tethered to an AC adapter and tethered to an ethernet are two very different things. A/C powers are much more ubiquitous than ethernet jacks. If Tesla was smarter perhaps we'd be powering everything through the air right now...and living to a ripe old age or 35 before the cancer gets us. It would help with thinning the population density. Soylent Power?

It's been mentioned before, this isn't designed to be ones only machine. It's a supplementary machine for traveling. One could use a similar argument with any ultra-portable as they are too slow to do any real crunching. It's there focus.I don't understand this need that every computer must fit everybody's needs. It's an addition to the line, not a replacement to it.

my point here is that apple potentially has an issue without including the ethernet port. They told me when i was configuring the n station to put an ethernet wire from the station to my mac book to configure some stuff. I told them I did not have the wire. they told me to call back when I do. so I went to work and borrowed the wire and brought it home and the apple tech fixed it. the point is they required me to have the ethernet connection (temporarily) to fix my wireless problem. this will not be a solution that apple tech people will have with the MBP.
post #147 of 221
Quote:

when you move from station to station you do not have access to power. even the orange extension cables cannot get the power to you as you you are shooting large machinary in many locations. ......

Somehow, the image of a MacBook Air on a heavy-machinery-laden factory floor says 'dissonance' in my brain.... can't figure out why!?
post #148 of 221
Quote:

Of 6311 votes,

1209 are undecided
3723 do not plan to buy

Wow, interesting. If these sorts of early (admittedly unscientific) indications get borne out by actual purchases, Apple could become big in Japan (which has been a losing proposition for Apple in the past few years) again! That would be huge for AAPL.
post #149 of 221
Quote:

I haven't heard anyone state that it's good, just that it isn't a big deal. The alternative would be a larger case.

The only "good" I can see from this is that it might warrant an external battery option w/ a MagSafe power-passthrough. That is much better than having to switch out batteries to use and to charge them up again. It's a royal pain! Especially, because I use a TechShell which has also has to be removed.

On your first point about the alternative would be a larger case I don't agree with. I believe they could have done it and will do it on version 2 (for business reasons). 3lb and lighter computers have the replacement batteries.

On your second point about the magsafe power-passthrough ... I think it is brilliant if it is ever developed and will solve this battery issue. I never thought of it ... but wouldn't be surprised if it happens. It would be no big deal to me to connect a battery to that magnet. is this possible?

I love apple, but I think,sometimes they try to grab too much control (ie battery aftermarket business) and they finally realize they can't. apple tv is a classic example "take one" required itunes and a computer. Take two doesn't even require a computer? This is the lesson apple is learning and this is why they are successful if they continue to listen.
post #150 of 221
Quote:

Somehow, the image of a MacBook Air on a heavy-machinery-laden factory floor says 'dissonance' in my brain.... can't figure out why!?

tell me about it

hey i got lenses that cost 20 times more than the macbook air ... but I didn't buy them
post #151 of 221
Quote:

tell me about it

hey i got lenses that cost 20 times more than the macbook air ... but I didn't buy them

and trust me there is a big difference between 5 lbs and 3 lbs ... that is why i am disappointed that it is not a viable machine for me or my business yet. but maybe next year.
post #152 of 221
Quote:

Wow, interesting. If these sorts of early (admittedly unscientific) indications get borne out by actual purchases, Apple could become big in Japan (which has been a losing proposition for Apple in the past few years) again! That would be huge for AAPL.

The data at MacPolls is not country specific, but the guys at my shop seemed pretty upbeat.

Edit: updated the data from MacPolls at 10,000 votes exactly
Linky: http://www.macpolls.com/index.php (though the data has now changed)

8% have ordered (823 units)

13% are planning to buy one (1280 units)

TOTAL of 21% (2100 units)

19% of the voters are undecided

60% do no intend to buy the Air

This suggests a fairly good reception of this machine, an hopefully will quiet some of the fuss on the threads. Apple obviously did their research: their are people who want this baby.

post #153 of 221
Quote:

The data at MacPolls is not country specific, but the guys at my shop seemed pretty upbeat.

Edit: updated the data from MacPols at 10,000 votes exactly
Linky: http://www.macpolls.com/index.php (though the data has now changed)

8% have ordered (823 units)

13% are planning to buy one (1280 units)

TOTAL of 21% (2100 units)

19% of the voters are undecided

60% do no intend to buy the Air

interesting ... but the only poll apple cares about on this product is their stock price. a successful launch will increase it ... an unsuccessful launch could reduce it.
post #154 of 221
Quote:

Where the hell does it say on the APPPLE SITE that this is a non user replaceable battery?

Perhaps we should wait until somebody identifies the MacBook Air battery. Based on the Keynote video it looks like it is very thin and covers quite a bit of the width. Not anything like I can remember seeing before.

Have a little patience. And by the way, Apple didn't, "warn(s) you that they MAY trash you harddrive and its not their fault when they replace your battery."
post #155 of 221
Quote:

interesting ... but the only poll apple cares about on this product is their stock price. a successful launch will increase it ... an unsuccessful launch could reduce it.

It seems to be getting off to a good start and it hasn't even hit the sales floors yet.

We shall see.

post #156 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinea View Post

This guy modifies stuff to have magsafe adapters and he plans on supporting the MBA

http://mikegyver.com/Store/index.html

$499 is kinda steep but you get a 130W-hours Valence N-Charge and Kensington adapter modified for use with a MB or MBP. That should last most flights along with your main battery.

Quote:

On your second point about the magsafe power-passthrough ... I think it is brilliant if it is ever developed and will solve this battery issue. I never thought of it ... but wouldn't be surprised if it happens. It would be no big deal to me to connect a battery to that magnet. is this possible?

No, its completely impossible which is why I posted a link to a guy who does this today for MB and MBPs.

Will people stop whining about the damn battery now? For the transgalactic flyer with 17 extra batteries for their 118 million light year flight to the Krutyi sector (who have no power outlets in the spacecraft when you fly coach) spending $499 for a universal power brick and a uber-battery isn't that much more money than what they claim to have today.
post #157 of 221
Quote:

Where the hell does it say on the APPPLE SITE that this is a non user replaceable battery?

Perhaps we should wait until somebody identifies the MacBook Air battery. Based on the Keynote video it looks like it is very thin and covers quite a bit of the width. Not anything like I can remember seeing before.

Have a little patience. And by the way, Apple didn't, "warn(s) you that they MAY trash you harddrive and its not their fault when they replace your battery."

they don't say it because it is not a feature ... its a liability. ALL other subcompacts allow you to exchange the battery easily. apple chose not to. thats their call and it was a bad one. there are many 3lbs or less machines out there that allow easy exchange.

AND sorry they DO warn you. as a matter of fact they use the word "many" which is very spooky. go to link off main article and read the 3rd paragraph yourself.

"Many repairs require Apple to replace or reformat the hard disk, which will result in the loss of your data. Please make sure you back up your data on a regular basis to minimize your data loss."

can't argue with the facts. i'm not saying they will trash your computer. but those weasle lawyer words don't give me warm fuzzies if i have to hand them my machine.
post #158 of 221
Quote:

Will people stop whining about the damn battery now? For the transgalactic flyer with 17 extra batteries for their 118 million light year flight to the Krutyi sector (who have no power outlets in the spacecraft when you fly coach) spending $499 for a universal power brick and a uber-battery isn't that much more money than what they claim to have today.

It's not about the money, it's about just getting power on flights and seating classes without it.
post #159 of 221
Quote:

No, its completely impossible which is why I posted a link to a guy who does this today for MB and MBPs.

got to admit that is pricy but cool. i get it now.

however i would prefer an easy battery exchange, but this is a legitimate alternative when it is available for mba. it puts me to 3500 so price is an issue.
post #160 of 221
Quote:

One could argue that Apple is then responsible for any damage to the innards caused by the replacement.

Is Apple responsible for damage caused by people upgrading memory or hard drive in a Mac laptop? Or PCI Express cards in a Mac Pro? Is Apple responsible for damage caused by end users installing any of those parts since they all require opening the computer?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Sources: MacBook Air battery replacements take only minutes