or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Sources: MacBook Air battery replacements take only minutes

Sources: MacBook Air battery replacements take only minutes - Page 2

post #41 of 221
A couple of points to make:

I would never buy the Mac Air. Like the Palm Foleo it missed the mark. Like the Foleo, it too is overpriced.

So what if it is thinnest? It's not the lightest ultra-portable. Weight is clearly more important than thickness. Like most Mac products they are only complementary, and you still need something else to get the job done.

What if you just want to take out the battery? I can do it in two seconds on an OLD Dell laptop which has a battery level indicator built in. I can instantly tell the charge level. I can also swap batteries, due to multiple universal bays.

Does Apple do focus groups, questionaires and listen to their buyers? I can't imagine being asked, "Would you like to be able to replace the battery easily?" and answering, "No, I want to have to send my laptop away."

From Apple's own website:

http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html

"Long Term Storage
If you dont plan on using your notebook for more than six months, Apple recommends that you remove and store the battery with a 50% charge. If you store a battery when its fully discharged, it could fall into a deep discharge state, which renders it incapable of holding any charge. Conversely, if you store it fully charged for an extended period of time, the battery may experience some loss of battery capacity, meaning it will have a shorter life. Be sure to store the ejected battery at the proper temperature. (See Notebook Temperate Zone.)"

Ultimately, it would be fine for most people if you can easily replace it yourself without warranty hurdles. Most people do not change the battery very often, only when it no longer holds a charge. But sending your notebook to Apple just for a new battery is just plain stupid. The Air must be thin at APPL. Someone please give them oxygen.
post #42 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Then it was the wrong tool to buy, wasn't it?
See there's this concept... the right tool for the job.

The point is i didn't buy and I wanted to. I bought a macbook instead.

The battery ... slow processor ... max 2 megs soldered in ... lack of ethernet (sorry if you compare even apple n to ethernet ... ethernet blows away. ... lack of firewire (didn't apple invent it?) all add up to a pathetic machine. If this machine was same price as macbook I would buy the faster ... better macbook.
post #43 of 221
Me, to license branch clerk: How long will it take to change the address on my driver's license?

License branch clerk: Oh, about two minutes.

Me: Wow, awesome!

License branch clerk, with evil laugh: Of course, there's a four hour wait before I can get to you!

Whether it takes two minutes or four hours, one still has to deal with getting the darn thing to Apple.

Is anyone here not aware of how many laptop batteries have been recalled in the last few years? Apple uses the same battery suppliers as everyone else.

<< Apple didn't do it to make money. They did it to cut down on engineering and manufacturing costs, and to reduce the size and weight.>>

In addition to two Macbooks, I've got a Sony T series laptop. It includes an optical drive, it has user upgradeable RAM, AND a user replaceable battery. It weighs 2. 7 lbs., less than the Macbook Air! It's slightly thicker than the Air, but has a smaller footprint, and is lighter. I can choose the smaller battery for going light, the larger battery for longer run time, or I can carry both so I have can keep working if one battery gets low. The T series has been out for several years now. The Macbook Air is hardly a novel engineering achievement. It's all style over functionality.
post #44 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREB View Post

Trivial or not a user replaceable battery is vastly superior. Apple can design a thin laptop, but cannot design a user replaceable battery? What's wrong with this picture? I'm not up for the utter rubbish about how Apple could not incorporate it into the design. Rubbish.

The article says the battery can be easily replaced by a user. That sounds "user replaceable" to me. Sure, apple SAYS it's not user replaceable, and many people will have it done professionally. But as long as you can buy a battery (and does anyone really think they won't be available?), what is there to complain about?

And with this sort of unit, I don't think swapping batteries to extend battery life is much of an issue. Do people really do that much any more? If there really is demand, a third party will just create an external battery pack with magsafe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetim View Post

The point is i didn't buy and I wanted to. I bought a macbook instead.

The battery ... slow processor ... max 2 megs soldered in ... lack of ethernet (sorry if you compare even apple n to ethernet ... ethernet blows away. ... lack of firewire (didn't apple invent it?) all add up to a pathetic machine. If this machine was same price as macbook pro I would buy the faster ... better macbook.

Based on what you just said, you DIDN'T want to buy it. You wanted to buy a hammer...but you needed to put in screws, not nails...so you bought the screwdriver. I guess that means it's stupid for craftsman to make a hammer...why would anyone ever want to buy one??

Different products appeal to different market segments. People are so self centered that they assume that if a product isn't aimed at them and their needs, it won't appeal to anyone and will flop.
post #45 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

Different products appeal to different market segments. People are so self centered that they assume that if a product isn't aimed at them and their needs, it won't appeal to anyone and will flop.

Gee... ya think?
Still, its fun watching the trolls spewing spittle at the thought that anyone actually likes something they don't.
post #46 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmas View Post

All that is missing now are some pictures of the MacBook Air innards so we can all get a feel of how easy the battery is to change. Well that, and I would be curious to see how the thing is engineered

Other World Computing (OWC Macsales.com) will probably have the do-it-yourself kit out within the month.
post #47 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

User-replaceable anything costs more to design and manufacture, and takes up more room.

As someone who, in the past seven years of laptop use as my primary machine, has never owned or used a second battery, I find the uproar over this to be bizarre. Are there folks who *need* this feature? I'm sure there are. But they're really not that high a % of the market, as I see it.

I had a second battery for the occasional traveling, so that when the first battery died (lost charge), I can swap them and continue. Airplanes don't all have power jacks, the ones that do don't always work, and airport lobbies are also usually scarce with jacks, so keeping it topped off and running can be hard. It seemed like pretty common practice for business travelers to have a second battery to pop in when the first battery died.

Maybe it's a moot point if the Air gets twice the run time as the other Apple notebooks, but we'll have to see those tests. I think Apple rates those at five or more hours too, I only get about half that on my MBP, even if I kill wireless and turn brightness to one notch above off.

Quote:
Because, you know, it killed the iPod.

It's not the same kind of device, not necessarily the same kind of use.
post #48 of 221
Quote:

The article says the battery can be easily replaced by a user.

Based on what you just said, you DIDN'T want to buy it. You wanted to buy a hammer...but you needed to put in screws, not nails...so you bought the screwdriver. I guess that means it's stupid for craftsman to make a hammer...why would anyone ever want to buy one??

Why am I self centered by pointing out that Apple made some bad decisions ... remember Newton! Remember Apple TV "Take One". They don't do everything right. I like the look of the machine and full keyboard. I am very disappointed that they did not include some ports that would not have increased weight at all. I honestly thing this thing will sell hot early and fizzle just like Apple TV. Steve Jobs will come to the convention next year and give his mia culpa and say they didn't listen to us ... which they didn't ... and introduce MacBook Air and Here is "Take Two". It will have ethernet ... another usb ... firewire ... a better core duo processor ... upgradeable memory to 4 gig ... and a replaceable battery all with the SAME footprint and weight.
post #49 of 221
Quote:

The reality is it doesn't take minutes it takes 5 days. And what if I am in a factory doing a photo or video shoot and I have no AC and no battery replacement.

Pathetic decision by apple. If the MacBook and MacBook Air was same price I would still buy the macbook that is plenty portable.

It takes 5 days _if_ one chooses to send the machine in through the _mail_

Seems like a given that one could make a genius-bar appointment and bring it into an Apple store...for a quick replacement.

Further, i have no doubt many third-party vendors will offer a suitable replacement and proper install instructions like -> http://fastmac.com/laptop.php
an aye for an eye, the truth is a lie; a fish cannot whistle & neither can I.
an aye for an eye, the truth is a lie; a fish cannot whistle & neither can I.
post #50 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by elroth View Post

teckstud, you are totally a Microsoft spy (I swear you are).

LOL- I swear no! Let me see I have 4iPods, 1 MacBook, 2 iMacs, 1 AppleTV, a subscription to both Macworld and Maclife. Anything else- oh yes, a brain! Peace.
post #51 of 221
Quote:

If offered immortality I wouldn't give a rat's arse about the MacBook Air, or Apple for that matter.

Unless, of course, if it was Ratatouille's arse- a PIXAR production!!
post #52 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmas View Post

I really do not want to return to the Evil Empire.

Sounds like a bit of bad luck, sorry to hear.

I don't know, but returning to the Evil Empire sounds a bit like a dog returning to its vomit.
No thanks.
post #53 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by user23 View Post

It takes 5 days _if_ one chooses to send the machine in through the _mail_

Seems like a given that one could make a genius-bar appointment and bring it into an Apple store...for a quick replacement.

Further, i have no doubt many third-party vendors will offer a suitable replacement and proper install instructions like -> http://fastmac.com/laptop.php

Having tried to replace ipod batteries at apple store ... let's just say that I won't hold my breath on the less than 5 days turnaround on the battery replacement.

An Ipod is not as vital as a laptop ... and I lived with it. I will not live with giving a computer with my finances etc to the apple store. I'm telling you this is a major show stopper for many I know who waited to buy this machine.
post #54 of 221
I don't know if it's possible but can an external battery pack like they've made for iPods be designed for a laptop. Something that could plug into the wall to charge and then pulled from your bag and plugged into the laptop's magsafe connection to power it? Just curious.
post #55 of 221
This reason doesn't wash with me. The amount Apple would have saved is negligible because the battery takes up the same space with or without a way to slide it out of the chassis.

They aren't really saving money by doing this because it's only deferring the cost of manufacturing and design to other areas, such as hiring and training new employees to replace batteries, packaging and mailing fees for shipping the laptop, and time for Apple to replace the battery where the consumer would normally do it.

A new battery for my MacBook is $99 and I replace it myself. Apple is charging a $30 premium to replace the battery in the MacBook Air. They are taking in $30 for labor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Apple didn't do it to make money. They did it to cut down on engineering and manufacturing costs, and to reduce the size and weight.

While you are correct, that having to send any item in for repair is a pain, this is not to be one's main machine. Honestly, how many people will be sending it in to Apple for a battery replacement. How many times have you purchased replacement batteries for new computers. Most people buy new computers well before their battery ever fails.
post #56 of 221
Well, the complaint would be that if Apple doesn't support the user replacing the battery, that a customer opening up the case to do it themselves would void the warranty.

Quote:

The article says the battery can be easily replaced by a user. That sounds "user replaceable" to me. Sure, apple SAYS it's not user replaceable, and many people will have it done professionally. But as long as you can buy a battery (and does anyone really think they won't be available?), what is there to complain about?
post #57 of 221
Quote:

I will not live with giving a computer with my finances etc to the apple store.

I agree. I would even place this fact above the battery issue. Secure data is paramount.
post #58 of 221
Quote:

Why am I self centered by pointing out that Apple made some bad decisions ...

Because you're not pointing out bad decisions. You are pointing out decisions made to appeal to a specific set of customers that you don't happen to be included in.

Quote:

I will not live with giving a computer with my finances etc to the apple store.

So grab a screwdriver and replace it yourself. Didn't you read the article? You know, the one this thread is attached to? The one that says that replacing the battery is a piece of cake, can be done quickly with no special tools?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

A new battery for my MacBook is $99 and I replace it myself. Apple is charging a $30 premium to replace the battery in the MacBook Air. They are taking in $30 for labor.

Where do you see apple charging $99 for a replacement battery? Looking at the apple store, every replacement laptop battery is $129.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Well, the complaint would be that if Apple doesn't support the user replacing the battery, that a customer opening up the case to do it themselves would void the warranty.

If it's still under warranty, the battery replacement is covered so it's free, right? And generally, companies are required by law to honor warranties even if the customer performs maintenance themselves. They just don't have to cover any damage caused by the user. I opened up my mini and did things that apple considers not user serviceable, and still had warranty work done afterwards.
post #59 of 221
Quote:

If it's still under warranty, the battery replacement is covered so it's free, right? And generally, companies are required by law to honor warranties even if the customer performs maintenance themselves. They just don't have to cover any damage caused by the user. I opened up my mini and did things that apple considers not user serviceable, and still had warranty work done afterwards.

After reading Apple's own ordering page, and as linked to the Apple MacBook Air ordering page for additional AppleCare (as I purchase AppleCare whenever available):

AppleCare Protection Plan

b. Limitations The Plan does not cover:

(ix) Consumable parts, such as batteries, except in respect of battery coverage under APP for iPod or unless failure has occurred due to a defect in materials and workmanship;
post #60 of 221
Quote:

After reading Apple's own ordering page, and as linked to the Apple MacBook Air ordering page for additional AppleCare (as I purchase AppleCare whenever available):

AppleCare Protection Plan

b. Limitations The Plan does not cover:

(ix) Consumable parts, such as batteries, except in respect of battery coverage under APP for iPod or unless failure has occurred due to a defect in materials and workmanship;

I was talking about the original warranty. Is the battery not covered in the first year? And is there any official word from apple that changing the battery voids the warranty?
post #61 of 221
Quote:

Because you're not pointing out bad decisions. You are pointing out decisions made to appeal to a specific set of customers that you don't happen to be included in.

So grab a screwdriver and replace it yourself. Didn't you read the article? You know, the one this thread is attached to? The one that says that replacing the battery is a piece of cake, can be done quickly with no special tools?

Didn't you read the item below in the article? You know, the one this thread is attached to? ... mr condescending

"For its part, Apple has announced its intent to offer a MacBook Air Out-of-Warranty Battery Replacement Program, which promises authorized replacements for US $129. The mail-in repair process normally takes 5 business days, the company says."

This means I have to give them the machine for 5 days if it goes out in warranty ... I've had 3 ipod batteries go out in warranty!

On the issues of bad decisions that is a matter of opinion ... and your opinion nor apples is not necessarily the correct one every time. Time will tell who is right when we look at sales 3-4 months from now. I think we have a newton/appleTV dog here. You must think apple will be satisfied with the rich "this is only an internet browsing e-mail machine" latte market. We'll see.
post #62 of 221
Quote:

Didn't you read the item below in the article? You know, the one this thread is attached to? ... mr condescending

"For its part, Apple has announced its intent to offer a MacBook Air Out-of-Warranty Battery Replacement Program, which promises authorized replacements for US $129. The mail-in repair process normally takes 5 business days, the company says."

This means I have to give them the machine for 5 days if it goes out in warranty ... I've had 3 ipod batteries go out in warranty!

On the issues of bad decisions that is a matter of opinion ... and your opinion nor apples is not necessarily the correct one every time. Time will tell who is right when we look at sales 3-4 months from now. I think we have a newton/appleTV dog here. You must think apple will be satisfied with the rich "this is only an internet browsing e-mail machine" latte market. We'll see.

Unless Apple makes a correction to their own existing AppleCare Protection Plan the legalese stands. As of this post there is no provision in Apple's own damn legal documents. Blame Apple, not me. And since when does an AppleInsider article supersede Apple's own legal fine print?
post #63 of 221
Quote:

Unless Apple makes a correction to their own existing AppleCare Protection Plan the legalese stands. As of this post there is no provision in Apple's own damn legal documents. Blame Apple, not me. And since when does an AppleInsider article supersede Apple's own legal fine print?

Good point. The reality is ... no one knows yet except apple. And they will not be in a hurry to clarify this.
post #64 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmMacUser View Post

I prefer this over a removable battery, when yours degrades and you goto buy a new one you may as well wait a few minutes while they install it for you.....no biggie.

On that next 18 flight without a plug-in, good luck swapping in a second, or third battery for use in your time.
Hard-Core.
Hard-Core.
post #65 of 221
Quote:

If offered immortality I wouldn't give a rat's arse about the MacBook Air, or Apple for that matter.

Yes ... and some of us generally love apple products ... we just don't drink their cool-aid after every macworld expo.
post #66 of 221
There are some really good comments here and on other threads from power users who have used notebooks for years and have no issue with the battery on the Air.

The ruckus is coming from people for who the Air was not designed and thus wish to rip it in any way they can simply because they feel slighted that Apple is trying a new market.

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

post #67 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Then it was the wrong tool to buy, wasn't it?
See there's this concept... the right tool for the job.

I wouldn't say that was particularly fair. Okay, so he wants to be able to replace a battery because of his job. I know people who like the idea of the Air for travelling light on planes etc. On a plane not being able to change a battery could be rather frustrating.

Before you say "mains outlet", remember that most people may stretch to the price of a new laptop, but not First or Business.
post #68 of 221
Quote:

Um...what part of the bit you quoted says that will be the only option and that there won't be any battery kits offered by third parties? That says that apple is offering a way to replace batteries, not that it will be the only way to get a battery replaced. And you really think the last word on IN warranty replacements will come from a program called "OUT-of-Warranty Battery Replacement Program"?

Apple offers a similar plan to replace iPod batteries...and yet there are third party alternatives.
post #69 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

There are some really good comments here and on other threads from power users who have used notebooks for years and have no issue with the battery on the Air.

The ruckus is coming from people for who the Air was not designed and thus wish to rip it in any way they can simply because they feel slighted that Apple is trying a new market.

[CENTER]Pure rubbish! Give real users a break[/CENTER]
post #70 of 221
Quote:

Um...what part of the bit you quoted says that will be the only option and that there won't be any battery kits offered by third parties? That says that apple is offering a way to replace batteries, not that it will be the only way to get a battery replaced. And you really think the last word on IN warranty replacements will come from a program called "OUT-of-Warranty Battery Replacement Program"?

Apple offers a similar plan to replace iPod batteries...and yet there are third party alternatives.

To be honest I don't know. And that is a problem. I assume that if my battery goes out in warranty they may or may not replace it for free based on their policy ... either way I HAVE to use them because if anyone else unscrews it ... kiss the warranty goodbye. Is that a reasonable assumption?
post #71 of 221
Quote:

To be honest I don't know. And that is a problem. I assume that if my battery goes out in warranty they may or may not replace it for free based on their policy ... either way I HAVE to use them because if anyone else unscrews it ... kiss the warranty goodbye. Is that a reasonable assumption?

If opening it voids the warranty, it must say that in the warranty somewhere.

Many apple products have things that aren't user serviceable. Does apple have any documentation on any of them saying that if the user does service them, it voids the warranty?

This discussion seems to come up every time apple releases something that has parts that aren't user serviceable, and the end result is usually that it doesn't void the warranty.
post #72 of 221
Quote:

Trivial or not a user replaceable battery is vastly superior. Apple can design a thin laptop, but cannot design a user replaceable battery? What's wrong with this picture? I'm not up for the utter rubbish about how Apple could not incorporate it into the design. Rubbish.

You are absolutely right. The only reason they designed it like this is to tick you off. You see, they always wanted to tick you off, I don't really why, but that's what they told me.
post #73 of 221
Cool is all I can say..... this kinda negates my whole issue I had with the MacBook Air. just makes it that much more appealing.
post #74 of 221
Jesus prefers Zune.
post #75 of 221
Quote:

Number one hardware complaint with the iPhone: No user replaceable battery.

You are a frigg'n liar!
post #76 of 221
Quote:

If opening it voids the warranty, it must say that in the warranty somewhere.

Many apple products have things that aren't user serviceable. Does apple have any documentation on any of them saying that if the user does service them, it voids the warranty?

This discussion seems to come up every time apple releases something that has parts that aren't user serviceable, and the end result is usually that it doesn't void the warranty.

Apple is generally good about that ... for example I replace harddrives and memory frequently. However they told me (at apple store) I cannot replace the ipod battery myself or they would void the warranty. again ... i don't know.
post #77 of 221
This guy modifies stuff to have magsafe adapters and he plans on supporting the MBA

http://mikegyver.com/Store/index.html

$499 is kinda steep but you get a 130W-hours Valence N-Charge and Kensington adapter modified for use with a MB or MBP. That should last most flights along with your main battery.

Its a shame that Apple doesn't license the magsafe connector. It's also a shame that these external power pack companies don't just provide a airline powerjack type port to avoid the issue of providing the right tips.
post #78 of 221
Quote:

[CENTER]Pure rubbish! Give real users a break[/CENTER]

Well, I guess the iPod line is a complete and utter failure. I mean, what on earth was Apple thinking when they made those batts built-in? Nobody will ever buy an iPod.

Same goes for the iPhone, which seems rather popular with CEOs and other big-wigs who are "real users" on a level different from you and me.

You are beginning to sound like a troll.

post #79 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

I am reading a lot more cons that pros on this product on every board I've been to. It would be more accurate to say people will live with the non-replaceable battery rather than "have no issue with it.

BTW the opposite is true for the other 4 items Jobs released at macworld expo. I love the new time capsule, i love that they added some cool apps to the iphone ... I will buy one when java and flash work on it ... I love how they fixed apple tv and added the rented movies to itunes ...

.... i see mainly pros and a few cons on all his other products ... but this product is getting flamed by mac users and enthusiests
post #80 of 221
Notice I didn't discuss numbers... I just remarked about comments from power users in the target market for the Air as opposed to those not in the target group. Those for whom the Air was designed will like it and buy it. Those for whom it was not designed will flame it for the sake of flaming.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Sources: MacBook Air battery replacements take only minutes