or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Sources: MacBook Air battery replacements take only minutes

Sources: MacBook Air battery replacements take only minutes - Page 3

post #81 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Notice I didn't discuss numbers... I just remarked about comments from power users in the target market for the Air as opposed to those not in the target group. Those for whom the Air was designed will like it and buy it. Those for whom it was not designed will flame it for the sake of flaming.

This is generally true ... but I seldom flame. I would love to know what apples target market and sales estimates are. Is this for high end executives? Rich yuppies who can afford to go to starbucks 4 times a week? Who wants this?
post #82 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREB View Post

If offered immortality I wouldn't give a rat's arse about the MacBook Air, or Apple for that matter.

Are you sure? As Woody Allen once pointed out: "Eternity is a very, very long time. Especially towards the end..."
Believe nothing, no matter where you heard it, not even if I have said it, if it does not agree with your own reason and your own common sense.
Buddha
Believe nothing, no matter where you heard it, not even if I have said it, if it does not agree with your own reason and your own common sense.
Buddha
post #83 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREB View Post

It's already overpriced so what's a few more dollars? Besides, it would may the unit more salable. And Apple can sell you spare overpriced batteries, so what's the issue? Period.

I don't get it - the competitor's ultra-compact models (like Sony's Vaio TV) sell for nearly $3,000 and come with smaller screens and 30% less processing power and the Air is overpriced? Time for a reality check...
post #84 of 221
$129 seems expensive and at first you might think that Apple are forcing people to pay up more by sealing the battery in. But looking at PC laptop batteries, they cost around the same, sometimes more so it's not an overpriced replacement.

The problem yet again with Apple is the down-time. It's not a trivial thing to send away a business computer for 5 working days minimum with important information on it. Business users usually have some sort of tech support who can handle simple jobs like this so a mail order kit would be much preferred as an option.

I hope the people arguing against the sealed battery realise that this is the same issue with the iMac's display btw.
post #85 of 221
Anyone thinking of buying this slim jim?
Seriously... not a peep from anyone on this forum or anyone i've talked to is pre-ordering or even interested.
Maybe people will be interested when they actually get to see one in real life.
post #86 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I hope the people arguing against the sealed battery realise that this is the same issue with the iMac's display btw.

Batteries generally die a lot quicker than LCDs do. All notebooks have a hard to deal with display, but that's not really a problem, they can last a very long time.
post #87 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by rain View Post

I have bought just about one of every iteration since January, 1984. Love my MacBook Pro, but would have rather had this one on my last trip to Shanghai.

What really impressed me was when Jobs showed the inside of the MacBook Air (1:02 mark of the Keynote), Job's comment that the battery would work wirelessly for 5 hours. Not sure just how large it is, but it certainly doesn't look typical in the photo.

Unreal how they got so much technology in such a tiny space. Can't wait to hear the whole story. Hope it doesn't take as long as the 'iPhone' did to come out.
post #88 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilco View Post

Ah, Wilc

(How did you manage to evade the 5-character requirement? I am impressed!)
post #89 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by rain View Post

Seriously... not a peep from anyone on this forum or anyone i've talked to is pre-ordering or even interested.
Maybe people will be interested when they actually get to see one in real life.

OK, I'll say it for the third time: I'll be buying one for sure.

But only by June or so, since I want to get the Time Capsule and @TV in the next couple of months. Just spacing out my Apple purchases to about once a quarter (or less frequently, as I always do), that's all.
post #90 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Ah, Wilc

(How did you manage to evade the 5-character requirement? I am impressed!)

The text equivalent for that smiley is ten characters.
post #91 of 221
Quote:

Those for whom the Air was designed will like it and buy it. Those for whom it was not designed will flame it for the sake of flaming.

Agree 100%. End of story.
post #92 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

post #93 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by heaven or las vegas View Post

Jesus prefers Zune.

Now don't be spreading sin with that foul mouth of yours boy! Go get a bar of soap!
MacBook Pro 17" Glossy 2.93GHz, iPad 64GB, iPhone 4 16GB, and a lot of other assorted goodies.

If you're a troll and you have been slain. Don't be a Zombie.
MacBook Pro 17" Glossy 2.93GHz, iPad 64GB, iPhone 4 16GB, and a lot of other assorted goodies.

If you're a troll and you have been slain. Don't be a Zombie.
post #94 of 221
Quote:

You are, indeed, right! Thanks. (OK, that little benefit of doubt I was willing to give Wilco is now reset).
post #95 of 221
OK, people are turning essentialist. The MBA is a 1.0 product. I personally happen to think that it's a great 1.0 product, but only time will tell.

It's obvious that Apple decided to balance size, weight and ruggedness because those are all significant. It's obvious that Apple's designers felt that an inbuilt but easy to replace battery was a fair compromise for size, weight and cost. It's obvious that Steve is beyond pleased with the resulting product.

However, if it doesn't sells OK or even well and Apple hears a clamoring for a feature that they didn't anticipate, or whose importance they underestimated, then of course they'll go back to the drawing board. I'm sure they would rather sell a slightly heavier Air with FireWire and a removable battery than give up on the product altogether.

Only time will tell. Personally, I think they made a pretty good set of choices. I know a lot of people who could get a lot of use out of them.
"...within intervention's distance of the embassy." - CvB

Original music:
The Mayflies - Black earth Americana. Now on iTMS!
Becca Sutlive - Iowa Fried Rock 'n Roll - now on iTMS!
"...within intervention's distance of the embassy." - CvB

Original music:
The Mayflies - Black earth Americana. Now on iTMS!
Becca Sutlive - Iowa Fried Rock 'n Roll - now on iTMS!
post #96 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amorph View Post

OK, people are turning essentialist. The MBA is a 1.0 product. I personally happen to think that it's a great 1.0 product, but only time will tell.

It's obvious that Apple decided to balance size, weight and ruggedness because those are all significant. It's obvious that Apple's designers felt that an inbuilt but easy to replace battery was a fair compromise for size, weight and cost. It's obvious that Steve is beyond pleased with the resulting product.

However, if it doesn't sells OK or even well and Apple hears a clamoring for a feature that they didn't anticipate, or whose importance they underestimated, then of course they'll go back to the drawing board. I'm sure they would rather sell a slightly heavier Air with FireWire and a removable battery than give up on the product altogether.

Only time will tell. Personally, I think they made a pretty good set of choices. I know a lot of people who could get a lot of use out of them.

very well stated.

apple tv "take 2" is an example that apple listens to customer ... especially when they have to. One of apples problems with innovation is there is an expectation of significant innovation every time. The original mac/mac+ (i know i'm showing my age, but i bought both) were fantastically innovative and changed the world. I also bought the lazer. Also the first ipod was a very impressive product for the time. MB air looks and thinness are impressive, but there is nothing truly innovative on it except the cool gestures which i think will grow and become important on all computers. I'm guessing they put out the wrong product. but as you say time will tell. if unit sales are high and growing 4 months from now I think you will be correct.

the question is this. will this be a product like the ipod ... which had killer sales from day one ... or is the product another apple tv that needs to go back to the drawing board? unfotunately for apple the jury is still out.
post #97 of 221
People who are insistent that they need to "swap batteries" and thus carry an extra battery are obviously not concerned with weight, so this product isn't important to them. Buy a regular-sized laptop and swap batteries all you want. If you really need 15 continuous hours without AC power, go for it. How you are going to charge those 3 batteries is another story.

Apple always does market research, so they must have found that there is a demand for light weight, and not so much enthusiasm for a 10-inch or smaller screen. Makes sense to me. Obviously when they asked people to choose between a heavier/thicker laptop with swappable battery and a lighter/thinner without swappable battery, the focus groups chose lighter and thinner.

I especially like the comment about working in a factory with no AC power. What the hell kind of factory has no AC power? LOL

If a product is "missing" any features, those are the complaints raised. From reading these complaints, you'd think that people believe Apple should have made a thin and light computer with 5 USB ports, a "decent" GPU, expandable RAM, replaceable battery, DVD burner, EDVO, two FireWire ports, dual gigabit Ethernet, parallel port, docking station, and an all-in-one card reader as well as floppy drive. And for $499.

One post even wanted more ports and a smaller screen. Make up your mind.

On the other hand, if the product has every conceivable feature, complaints come that people don't want to pay for "something I won't use."

For all the complainers, you obviously do not need a lightweight laptop if you still want all those added items. Apple didn't discontinue the MacBook or the MacBook Pro.
--Johnny
--Johnny
post #98 of 221
Quote:

fascinating.
post #99 of 221
I think that Apple should have made this a user replaceable component.... If it HAS to be replaced by a technician, they should have it where a person at the Genius Bar could do it. if it is that easy, all it takes is to do to a nearby Apple Store and have them do it while the person waits.

A computer that is meant for someone that travels shouldn't have to send it in and wait 5 business days.

This is ridiculous. Anyone should be able to go a local Apple Store and have it done.

Sorry Apple, I have to disagree with you guys on this one. Imagine the DHL bills? Wouldn't this reduce Greenhouse gas emissions if the user can get it done locally?
post #100 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

I think that Apple should have made this a user replaceable component.... If it HAS to be replaced by a technician, they should have it where a person at the Genius Bar could do it. if it is that easy, all it takes is to do to a nearby Apple Store and have them do it while the person waits.

A computer that is meant for someone that travels shouldn't have to send it in and wait 5 business days.

This is ridiculous. Anyone should be able to go a local Apple Store and have it done.

Sorry Apple, I have to disagree with you guys on this one. Imagine the DHL bills? Wouldn't this reduce Greenhouse gas emissions if the user can get it done locally?

After reading the article, don't you think you could do it yourself? Certainly it doesn't take an Einstein to realize that any literate that knows how to use a screw driver could. Cripes, even then geeks at Best Buy could do it.
post #101 of 221
Very shortly you will be able to purchase a third party replacement battery, packaged as a kit with the appropriate screw driver and directions.

If the article is correct, replacing the battery on the Air will be easier than an iPod, which already has a thriving after-market battery industry.

So: not quite as easy as popping in a second battery into a bay, but not that much harder, from the sound of it.

Plus, third party batts will be cheaper than Apple's.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #102 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

After reading the article, don't you think you could do it yourself? Certainly it doesn't take an Einstein to realize that any literate that knows how to use a screw driver could. Cripes, even then geeks at Best Buy could do it.

I don't think Apple sells the battery by itself. If you put a 3rd party battery, it might violate AppleCare.

I would ask Apple for the particulars on anything other a certified Apple part. They can get a little particular for non-Apple certified parts installed by a non-certified tech, especially when one has to open up the computer for non-user installable items.. At least that is my understanding.. Ask for the limitations from Apple directly prior to doing anything.
post #103 of 221
Just went to my local electronics shop and had a chat with two reps there. They already have 5 orders for the MBA, and we are in the middle of nowhere in Japan. For comparison, it took three months for them to sell 5 MacBooks, after they had a display model in the shop. So, to those who think this thing will not sell, you can give it a rest: it is selling already.

So, to answer another question posed to me on this or another thread: yes, I think this baby will sell pretty well in Japan.

---

By the way: I placed my order today.

MacBook Air and TimeCapsule 1 TB; what a combination!

Arriving in a couple of weeks. Hello to my new almost-wireless office.

To the nay-sayers and flamers: eat your hearts out!

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

post #104 of 221
Quote:

Theoretically do something is different than someone qualified to do it so it won't void a warranty. That's why the battery is sold with installation and it has to be sent to Apple to have a certified tech install it.
post #105 of 221
Quote:

Just went to my local electronics shop and had a chat with two reps there. They already have 5 orders for the MBA, and we are in the middle of nowhere in Japan. For comparison, it took three months for them to sell 5 MacBooks, after they had a display model in the shop. So, to those who think this thing will not sell, you can give it a rest: it is selling already.

So, to answer another question posed to me on this or another thread: yes, I think this baby will sell pretty well in Japan.

---

By the way: I placed my order today.

MacBook Air and TimeCapsule 1 TB; what a combination!

Arriving in a couple of weeks. Hello to my new almost-wireless office.

To the nay-sayers and flamers: eat your hearts out!

Wow, 5 whole units, it's a complete success, that must have paid off all the NRE money that went out the door.... I don't know if it's going to be a success or not, but your spouting off about its success already is nauseating and clearly unfounded.
BTW, nice of Apple to allow you to purchase the Time Capsule, something that the AE(n) and Leopard was supposed to support out of the box with the AirDisk.
post #106 of 221
If my messages make you feel that way, you have a rather weak stomach. How do you feel after reading the unfounded and un-ending flames above?

I live in one of the poorest prefectures in Japan where sales lag far behind the national average and very few people splurge on anything considered excessive, thus making 5 pre-orders (of an item with no display on the shelf) at one shop in just four days a rather big deal.

post #107 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

......BTW, nice of Apple to allow you to purchase the Time Capsule, something that the AE(n) and Leopard was supposed to support out of the box with the AirDisk.

It was a feature that Apple dropped. There's no "supposed" in it.

Nevertheless, FYI, the latest 10.5.2 screen shots show Time Machine backups to networked drives has been implemented, suggesting that Apple dropped it due to a bug which they have subsequently resolved.

I know, it was funner to imagine that Apple was deliberately gaming their own system to force you to buy Time Capsule, I'll guess we'll have to look elsewhere for evidence of Apple's evil.
post #108 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Nevertheless, FYI, the latest 10.5.2 screen shots show Time Machine backups to networked drives has been implemented, suggesting that Apple dropped it due to a bug which they have subsequently resolved.

I know, it was funner to imagine that Apple was deliberately gaming their own system to force you to buy Time Capsule, I'll guess we'll have to look elsewhere for evidence of Apple's evil.

I thought that comment was rich, too. You beat me to the response!

post #109 of 221
Quote:

If my messages make you feel that way, you have a rather weak stomach. How do you feel after reading the unfounded and un-ending flames above?

I live in one of the poorest prefectures in Japan where sales lag far behind the national average and very few people splurge on anything considered excessive, thus making 5 pre-orders (of an item with no display on the shelf) at one shop in just four days a rather big deal.

Still is clearly no way to judge any item would be a success in Japan or anywhere else at this stage.

To be honest, the 'flames' that you are referring to are people stating that they think it's a bad idea to not had a user changeable battery in a laptop that was designed for two types of people, as far as I can see. People who want to extend their home network without the need for all the extra ports and drives, and people who travel a lot. The person extending their home network doesn't care about the battery issue, so it's really down to the person who travels. If they are routinely going for 4+ hour trips without the ability to charge the battery, then it's a deal breaker. Pretty simple.
post #110 of 221
Quote:

I thought that comment was rich, too. You beat me to the response!

It was only on Leopards Feature webpage for months only to be taken down without any word as to why or what was going on. The whole Airdisk functionality is a mess, having to reboot networks and drives etc... Finding out that they may have implemented it through screen shots form a developer build is interesting, but hardly the way that it should be handled. Especially when people bought equipment specifically for that purpose.
post #111 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I hope it is in there and I hope it works, I'd like to use the $500 worth of equipment I bought for that purpose.

As far as your 'gaming their own system' comment, you have to be kidding with that, right?
post #112 of 221
Quote:

It was only on Leopards Feature webpage for months only to be taken down without any word as to why or what was going on. The whole Airdisk functionality is a mess, having to reboot networks and drives etc... Finding out that they may have implemented it through screen shots form a developer build is interesting, but hardly the way that it should be handled. Especially when people bought equipment specifically for that purpose.

Why would anyone buy based on what is "under development"? How many projects are dropped before they are ever completed ? I'm just guessing (don't worry, no data from Nowheresville this time, though I know of several projects that have been scrapped here), but I don't think every project goes to market and don't think this is the first time that a company has ever done something like that. How many projects are scrapped at the last minute?

post #113 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Theoretically do something is different than someone qualified to do it so it won't void a warranty. That's why the battery is sold with installation and it has to be sent to Apple to have a certified tech install it.

Where did you get that information?

First of all there is no MacBook Air battery listed for sale.

Nor is there any reference to voiding a warranty by replacing a battery unless one damages the laptop during the process or damage is caused as a result of installing a non-certified Apple part without permission.

Certainly, you don't have to send the laptop to Apple and/or have a certified tech to install it. If you don't feel comfortable doing so, any qualified Apple reseller should be able to it on the spot. The Air is not sealed and all it takes is a couple of turns on a screw.

Should you still be uncomfortable go via the MacBook Air Out-of-Warranty Battery Replacement Program.

However, if you are paranoid about it, best you don't buy any laptop from anybody.

In any event, there is no necessity to flame Apple, or a solution as presented in this article, by somebody that is more highly qualified and knowledgeable than the combined IQs of the same idiots that contiunally harass this site.
post #114 of 221
Quote:

In any event, there is no necessity to flame Apple, or a solution as presented in this article, by somebody that is more highly qualified and knowledgeable than the combined IQs of the same idiots that contiunally harass this site.

Dat be duh nice wun!

post #115 of 221
I wonder if the hard drive is as easy to access? Buy the 80GB version now, wait for SSD prices to get reasonable...
post #116 of 221
Why all this whining about what happens if the battery suddenly dies on a trip? Batteries don't suddenly die (with rare exceptions of the contaminated battery packs that caught fire). They slowly lose capacity over hundreds of charge cycles. If you know your battery isn't holding a charge well, replace it before the trip. And nowhere in the article does it say a layman couldn't do it. It says a trained tech can race through it in about three minutes. An untrained user can probably do it in 10 or 15, assuming he's not a complete klutz. I don't know if third-party companies will offer replacement batteries, since there isn't the massive market here like for iPod batteries, but I'm sure Apple will eventually offer the battery separately.
post #117 of 221
Joy of Tech

MBA is too big. Give us a sub-notebook!
Hard-Core.
Hard-Core.
post #118 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

Why all this whining about what happens if the battery suddenly dies on a trip?

When people are talking about batteries "dying" they are actually talking about them going flat, not actually becoming broken.
post #119 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

Joy of Tech

That is priceless!
post #120 of 221
Quote:

Still is clearly no way to judge any item would be a success in Japan or anywhere else at this stage.

Well, at least I'd like to think that I can judge the world by observing my hometown of Nowheresville.
Muahahaaa!

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Sources: MacBook Air battery replacements take only minutes