or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Live Television on Apple TV.

Live Television on Apple TV.

post #1 of 7
I feel if Apple can find a way to get live television on Apple TV, this would be one of the biggest hits. If they can find a way to rent shows to able able to compete with the cable and satellite operators, you could find an Apple TV in many homes. They could also find a way to add games and integration with the iphone/ipod touch and be able to watch content from the web. The recent upgrade is a huge step forward and this is going to be a huge product in the future and can become very profitable for Apple.
post #2 of 7
You don't want much then, do you?

Incidentally, what's the point in Live TV? It's a waste of manufacturing cost (If you can use Apple TV, you have TV) and even if you make the PVR argument, that runs contrary to Apple's campaign to make themselves a one stop shop for media. None's going to buy an episode of a TV Show if they can record it free on the same box.

MacBook Pro 15" | Intel Core2 Duo 2.66GHz | 320GB HDD | OS X v10.9
Black/Space Grey iPad Air with Wi-Fi & LTE | 128GB | On 4GEE
White iPhone 5 | 64GB | On 3UK

MacBook Pro 15" | Intel Core2 Duo 2.66GHz | 320GB HDD | OS X v10.9
Black/Space Grey iPad Air with Wi-Fi & LTE | 128GB | On 4GEE
White iPhone 5 | 64GB | On 3UK

post #3 of 7
Adjei, correct me if I'm wrong, but...

jensonb, I think you're missing his point. Instead of purchasing episodes, you'd 'rent' them - think PPV... a low fee, you get to watch it once, with some flexibility on when you start it. Just like the movies they have now.

The *one thing* holding back my wife and I from moving solely to an HD OTA antenna + iTMS is live sports events. We don't watch many, but she's a NCAA basketball fiend (go Heels!) and I love NHL. If they can figure out that one (and the cable companies with their game packages are a block unfortunately), they'd have a winner.

BTW, why ditch cable? I did a quick spreadsheet, and eliminating the monthly cable, but purchasing a Mac mini, AppleTV, new HDTV, new HDMI receiver, an HD antenna, an ElGato box for PVRing that signal, $20/mon for purchasing TV episode season passes from iTMS, and $20/mon for iTMS movie rentals? The loss of the cable bill pays for *everything else* in less than three years. More like 2.5. (I don't even really *need* the mini, but it'd replace the aging G4 Cube currently acting as our server.)

The only thing missing is live sporting events.

(Oh, and notice... no PVR. None needed. Because there's no cable.)
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

jensonb, I think you're missing his point. Instead of purchasing episodes, you'd 'rent' them - think PPV... a low fee, you get to watch it once, with some flexibility on when you start it. Just like the movies they have now.

The *one thing* holding back my wife and I from moving solely to an HD OTA antenna + iTMS is live sports events. We don't watch many, but she's a NCAA basketball fiend (go Heels!) and I love NHL. If they can figure out that one (and the cable companies with their game packages are a block unfortunately), they'd have a winner.

BTW, why ditch cable? I did a quick spreadsheet, and eliminating the monthly cable, but purchasing a Mac mini, AppleTV, new HDTV, new HDMI receiver, an HD antenna, an ElGato box for PVRing that signal, $20/mon for purchasing TV episode season passes from iTMS, and $20/mon for iTMS movie rentals? The loss of the cable bill pays for *everything else* in less than three years. More like 2.5. (I don't even really *need* the mini, but it'd replace the aging G4 Cube currently acting as our server.)

Great point, like the Super Bowl is coming up, if Apple could find a way to make you watch live events, live programming especially sports on the Apple TV it would be a hit and replace our set top boxes.
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

That's what I'm doing. OTA HD and iTunes purchases of my favorite cable shows. I do agree live sports is missing, but I get most local sports OTA, and if not, I head out to the bar, have some wings & beer, and I'm good. I'm not a sports fanatic, so I just go once or twice a month for sports that are not on broadcast.
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

Great point, like the Super Bowl is coming up, if Apple could find a way to make you watch live events, live programming especially sports on the Apple TV it would be a hit and replace our set top boxes.

You don't need cable to watch the Super Bowl.
post #7 of 7
there are lot of web site which are providing the source for watching live tv. but i usually visit to http://www.livetv.pk this site which is providing the better services.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Live Television on Apple TV.