or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Next-gen Apple MacBook Pros to gain multi-touch trackpad
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Next-gen Apple MacBook Pros to gain multi-touch trackpad - Page 4

post #121 of 199
I was discussing getting a MBP with a friend and Mac user today. (And gritting my teeth waiting for this very announcement to happen, because I wants me some multi-touch trackpad action.)

He wondered if the old multi-touch trackpads might be limited, compared to the new ones.

Specifically, that while it knows that more than one finger is touching the pad, maybe the old pad can't calculate the specific positions of each finger. Instead, it just gets a general, averaged pointer position (like on other pads), plus a "finger count."

I'd love it if complex multi-touch gestures were just a friendly software update away, but if they aren't, this might explain why.
post #122 of 199
I ordered a brand spanking new MBP only yesterday. Four hours later, I come home to find this article. Naturally I was annoyed, and phoned Apple ten minutes ago to cancel my order. I asked the woman whether any updates are due in the near future, and she said that other people had been asking the same question, that a certain rumour had gone over the top somewhat, and that there were no planned updates to the MBP line in the next 3-6 months. So I didn't cancel it. Any thoughts?
post #123 of 199
no one seems to be talking about macbooks hitting 2.8ghz...

if its this far off in the future we're talking; when do we see a real mac computing machine hitting the market? I mean something 15-17inchs, 2.6-2.8 ghz with a multitouchscreen instead of a touchpad? I mean really this shit they are throwing at us is like the abacus.. I know I don't need a cd drive, its nail polish on shitty plastic, but I still want a better solution than, "we'll take care of you."

just grumblings...
post #124 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostwriter View Post

I ordered a brand spanking new MBP only yesterday. Four hours later, I come home to find this article. Naturally I was annoyed, and phoned Apple ten minutes ago to cancel my order. I asked the woman whether any updates are due in the near future, and she said that other people had been asking the same question, that a certain rumour had gone over the top somewhat, and that there were no planned updates to the MBP line in the next 3-6 months. So I didn't cancel it. Any thoughts?

Well, first off, telephone order reps don't know Apple's long-term plans. Apple doesn't blab to the help. So, it is likely that one of you is lying.

Now, while the order rep may have knowledge of whether inventory is low and if new shiny boxes have arrived in the warehouse (which may be nowhere near her unit), the only way she'd know about long term laptop plans would be if someone with actual knowlege at Apple told her--and told her in violation of their NDA. BTW, for the rep to be telling you about Apple plans, if she did know, is a firing offence. So, if she does know and she did tell you then she's an idiot and if someone is an idiot you can't trust what they say anyway. (Actually, I think it is also firing offense to tell you Apple's future plans regardless of whether they are true or not.)

The reason sites like Apple Insider are popular is because Apple is extremely good at keeping secrets. You keep secrets by a variety of methods including rigorous compartmentalization and by really harsh NDAs. I doubt someone with actual knowledge gave away Apple secrets to a random stranger on the phone making an order--a stranger who could even work for Apple testing security by asking about rumors to see what the rep would say. Perhaps you are just that charming? Possible, I suppose... If so, you could get a job at Apple weeding out leaks--or, more likely, pseudo leaks.

Anyways, if you bought an MBP what you are getting is fast delivery and a proven design with all the kinks worked out--like the audio issues the early MBP's had. If new designs do come out soon they may well have the growing pains that many recent Apple products have gone through and the subsequent unpublicized minor revisions that happen to version 1.0 hardware. Remember that Apple often refuses to publicly acknowledge obvious and common flaws that many users experience--as was the case with laptop screens not so long ago, thus there is value in not being the first one on the block to get the latest computer, whenever it eventually comes out.

And, of course, she may have just been trying to get you off the phone. (Do the reps make commissions or retention bonuses? Probably not, but if they did, telling you that no new macs were forthcoming would keep a sale.)
post #125 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by xirtus View Post

no one seems to be talking about macbooks hitting 2.8ghz...

People seem to be suggesting that a 2.8GHz MBP would double as a cooktop--just flip it over and use it as a griddle while you render MPEG2, or some such.
post #126 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

You really ARE new here.

Don't you know that no matter when you buy it, it will ALWAYS be exactly 15 days before the new one comes out?

I am definitely new here.
The reason why I wrote this:

I am going to buy my first Mac. (I don't like the term 'switch', it is more like a conversion).
Therefore I don't want to buy something that will be updated a few days later.
I was going to buy whatever Jobs flung at us, given it was a 13" MBP of some sort, or buy a standard MB and do some upgrades (4GB RAM, 320GB HD).
Now the MBA is out and though it is beautiful and in my opinion a small masterpiece, it simply doesn't fit my needs.
I hence decided not to craze myself and wait until my end of semester exams are over before I buy anything (which would be the 18th of March).

I would be willing to buy a MBP if there would be some interesting spec-changes.
post #127 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skepicus View Post

Well, first off, telephone order reps don't know Apple's long-term plans. Apple doesn't blab to the help. So, it is likely that one of you is lying.

I don't know why you'd think that I would lie ... after all, I'm the one who's trying to get the best Mac he can.

I understand that maybe she's not allowed to say, or she's just been kept in the dark. More specifically, what she said was along the lines of "the employees are not aware of any updates". I just wish I knew whether or not it was worth waiting!



The two major issues for me are the processor and the graphics card. I'll manage fine with a slightly smaller battery and no multi-touch. How likely is it that the graphics card will be updated at the same time? Also, how much of a performance boost will I notice going from a 2.2GHz MBP to the new Penryn chip (2.5GHz, isn't it?)?
post #128 of 199
canada/us stores are down...
post #129 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukeswharf View Post

Any news of an SSD with these new Mac Pro's?

OK man what would you need SSD specially in your macbook pro? Are you showing off or plain gazylionare...


p.s. sorry i couldn't resist..
zenga
Reply
zenga
Reply
post #130 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by the.western.debt View Post

canada/us stores are down...

HOLLLLAAA
post #131 of 199
C'mon Apple, you cand do it!

Damn, I was about to order a 15-inch 2.6GHz MBP and now I'm totally confused.
post #132 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radu View Post

C'mon Apple, you cand do it!

Damn, I was about to order a 15-inch 2.6GHz MBP and now I'm totally confused.

Well, at least you can't do anything now
post #133 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangochutney View Post

Well, at least you can't do anything now

The store has been down for a long time.


A Pink iPod nano? That is it?
post #134 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangochutney View Post


I would be willing to buy a MBP if there would be some interesting spec-changes.

Sounds like you don't have an urgent need for one right now, so just wait. The MBP is going to get *some* kind of update in the near future. Then buy and you'll have the top of the line for anything from 6-9 months.
post #135 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewGavin View Post

The store has been down for a long time.


A Pink iPod nano? That is it?



sorry



Cruel me your third post truly is a stellar one
post #136 of 199
Just curious what kind of cost increase would you expect once MBP gets updated?
post #137 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by islandguy View Post

Just curious what kind of cost increase would you expect once MBP gets updated?

I guessing none.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #138 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by islandguy View Post

Just curious what kind of cost increase would you expect once MBP gets updated?

If the Mac Pro tower standard config went from $2499 to $2799, then you could expect a possible like increase on the laptops too.
The MACaholic
Reply
The MACaholic
Reply
post #139 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradMacPro View Post

If the Mac Pro tower standard config went from $2499 to $2799, then you could expect a possible like increase on the laptops too.

Why is that?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #140 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradMacPro View Post

If the Mac Pro tower standard config went from $2499 to $2799, then you could expect a possible like increase on the laptops too.

They also went from four core to eight core as a result. The $2800 model beats last year's $3800+ model.
post #141 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

They also went from four core to eight core as a result. The $2800 model beats last year's $3800+ model.

And included Bluetooth as standard, as well double the RAM and a larger HDD. But as you say, i think the real reason for the price increase is that the default chip uses is more expensive for Apple than the previous model. Usually Intel has been pricing the new chips the same as the previous generation chips but it looks like Apple stepped it up.

Anyone know the chip type in the previous 2.66 Quad-core Mac Pro? I'd like to get a chip to chp price comparison.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #142 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Why is that?

It's true they went to 8 cores as the standard, but I was thinking the new Mac Pro uses the Penryn chip a 45nm and we are speculating that the next MacBook pro will also get the 45nm goods in a laptop class version, so while Apple usually likes to retain the same price points with new generations, it's also possible that the new MBP will also see a price increase. Maybe a new found (or restored) greed for the old time margins.
The MACaholic
Reply
The MACaholic
Reply
post #143 of 199
Hi everybody!

As I was registering, I saw that discussion went on to CPU-s, and that was my first intention, to throw in a question that burns(inside me): When will we see a quadcore MBP beast ?
Just a n00b
Reply
Just a n00b
Reply
post #144 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradMacPro View Post

It's true they went to 8 cores as the standard, but I was thinking the new Mac Pro uses the Penryn chip a 45nm and we are speculating that the next MacBook pro will also get the 45nm goods in a laptop class version, so while Apple usually likes to retain the same price points with new generations, it's also possible that the new MBP will also see a price increase. Maybe a new found (or restored) greed for the old time margins.

Obviously these prices don't reflect what Apple is paying Intel but it does show that Apple has stepped up the chip considerably as there were other options Apple could have used to keep the Mac Pro at the same price point. The data below shows that each chip is $100 more than the previous model, take into consideration the BT is now included and the price jumps a little more. Everythign else is just natural speed and capacity upgrades that come with a new machine. If Apple uses the new Penryn at the corresponding pricepoint of the Santa Rosa model I wouldn't expect any price increase.

Mac Pro (Previous)
— 2x Dual-Core
— 5150
— "Woodcrest"
— 2.66GHz
— 4MB L2
— 1333MHz FSB
— Socket 771
$690 (per 1000)


Mac Pro (Current)
— 2x Quad-Core
— "Harpertown"
— E5462
— 2.80GHz
— 12MB L2
— 1600MHz FSB
— Socket 771
$797 (per 1000)
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #145 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by walldorfb View Post

Hi everybody!

As I was registering, I saw that discussion went on to CPU-s, and that was my first intention, to throw in a question that burns(inside me): When will we see a quadcore MBP beast ?

As of yesterday on these forums, some are saying today and some are saying as far as 6 weeks.

Some of the reasoning:
— Penryn MacBook pros are long overdue
— Penryn is being delayed due to rumours about manufacturing issues
— Apple wants MacBook Air to capture the spotlight for a few weeks
— Mobile version come about 2 months after desktop releases
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #146 of 199
The 2-3 weeks for the 17" MBP is the Apple Store for Education Institutions, which is different than the Apple Store for Education Individuals. The reason for the uptick there is usually when Apple is planning a new product roll out and they dry up inventory in the education institution space first.
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
Reply
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
Reply
post #147 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

As of yesterday on these forums, some are saying today and some are saying as far as 6 weeks.

Some of the reasoning:
— Penryn MacBook pros are long overdue
— Penryn is being delayed due to rumours about manufacturing issues
— Apple wants MacBook Air to capture the spotlight for a few weeks
— Mobile version come about 2 months after desktop releases

, good one! And thank you for the welcome and appreciate the effort to answer a n00b's post!

But seriously, does any1 have a serious opinion on the thing?
Just a n00b
Reply
Just a n00b
Reply
post #148 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by walldorfb View Post

Hi everybody!

As I was registering, I saw that discussion went on to CPU-s, and that was my first intention, to throw in a question that burns(inside me): When will we see a quadcore MBP beast ?

It seems we have to wait for a second generation called Nehalem and specifically "Clarksfield" for the mobile line, much later in 2008 for quad-core mobile processors. that should have 8MB cache and have a TDP of 45 to 55W. Shouldn't ship until 2nd quarter of 2009.
The MACaholic
Reply
The MACaholic
Reply
post #149 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradMacPro View Post

It seems we have to wait for a second generation called Nehalem and specifically "Clarksfield" for the mobile line, much later in 2008 for quad-core mobile processors. that should have 8MB cache and have a TDP of 45 to 55W. Shouldn't ship until 2nd quarter of 2009.

Thanks for that! I must admit I was too lazy to dig in anything else to find out, so I asked directly... I bought my wife a 15'MBP last October and I still rely on my dual G5 PM, sometimes borrowing her MBP for the road, but I can tell that I just can't wait to see one quadcore MBP screaming in my hands...

And sorry for dilluting the thread, that's just me...
Just a n00b
Reply
Just a n00b
Reply
post #150 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by walldorfb View Post

, good one!

But seriously, does any1 have a serious opinion on the thing?

Opps, i misread your post. i didn't see "quad-core".

Welcome to AI.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #151 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostwriter View Post

I don't know why you'd think that I would lie ... after all, I'm the one who's trying to get the best Mac he can.

I understand that maybe she's not allowed to say, or she's just been kept in the dark. More specifically, what she said was along the lines of "the employees are not aware of any updates". I just wish I knew whether or not it was worth waiting!

Why would you lie? You are a first time, pseudonymenous poster with a self-referentially pseudonymenous handle (a "ghostwriter", i.e., someone who doesn't write under their own name.) There is no reason to trust anything you say anymore than there is reason for you or anyone to trust anything I say, thus we judge these posts on whether they make sense rather than on trusting someone we have no reason to trust.

That being said, I never said you lied. I said that one of you is likely to be lying because a) phone reps aren't in a position to know Apple dev schedules, and b) if they did they wouldn't tell random strangers since that would get them fired big time. So, if a rep claimed to "know" that there were no updates planed for 3-6 months they probably didn't "know" that and were lying, or you made it up to pass along a good story.

Please don't be offended that I don't take the word of an anonymous first time poster as sacred!
post #152 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Opps, i misread your post. i didn't see "quad-core".

Welcome to AI.

Oh, that's nothing, and Thank You for the welcome!
Just a n00b
Reply
Just a n00b
Reply
post #153 of 199
Any educated answers yet? When the Apple stores were down this morning, I thought that we may see new MacBook Pros today. I know but I was hoping.....
post #154 of 199
I've been receiving an RSS feed of AI since the preliminary coverage of the the then-unreleased iPod classics. I only pay attention to the news pertaining to products I plan on buying, and the Macbook pro just may be one of my most expensive purchases ever as a college student. I'm excited about this update, though I hope it comes soon and with little effect to the cost, though I doubt it will. Most people here DO make good arguments. But that's the thing, this is speculative news... what's going on here is like arguing over the future in the form of facts

Post Scriptum: I'm sadly a PC owner, and I hate it. I love macs and can't wait to get my MBP. The main uses will be college and music production. But I need a laptop SOON. So soon that anything over 6 weeks, I simply can't wait for, any advice?
post #155 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael F. View Post

So Im thinking about buying a Macbook in the next few days, because to me the difference between a midrange Macbook and a 15" Pro is 2 inches of screen space and a better graphics card for an extra 1000 dollars. Since i dont work on/play with video games or produce 3D stuff, paying all that extra money doesnt seem worth it for my personal needs (graphic design, audio, some video stuff). But, with this rumor circulating should I wait to see if the current Pros get a price drop?

I would appreciate some advice

Thanks!

I just bought the black one at the weekend and will be getting 4gb RAM from crucial.com to slap in it. It's a great bit of kit. I'm a graphic designer by trade and have turned a nice profit on a PPC iMac G5 - I still use it to make A2 posters, websites etc, and I'll be doing the same with the 2.2, 4gb Black Macbook. I was holding out for a MBPro launch headed by S. Jobs - but he put all his effort into MacAirBiscuit. So I thought, F**k waiting, I'm losing money by not being mobile - get a MacBook, max it with RAM and get on with it. With that said - I'm happy with it. So that was my two-finger gesture for Mr. Jobs, lol.
post #156 of 199
Hi All,

Mac user sense 1986 (Mac SE30) but first time user of this forum. Currently I have a MacPro 2007, iMac 2007 and just sold my MacBook Pro on eBay. I usually flip my laptop every 14 months. I will get the new MacBook Pro as soon as it comes out.

Based on the last 4 years track record. Apple likes to launch a HIGH Profile product / updated once a month and minor updates weekly on Tuesdays. I personally think that the new Macbook Pro will come out week 2 or week 3 of Feb.

If the MacBook Pro gets a processor update, hard drive and a multi-touch track pad update then I can see a Tuesday launch. (Minor Update)

However if the MacBook Pro goes through a major design change then I would think that Apple would want a “Launch event” in form of “Save the Date”. (Major Update)

I consider the MacBook Pro a high profile product for Apple. I am expecting a (Major Update) for the MacBook Pro to follow the MacBook Air’s design and possible color change.

I think they would want to create as much media hype as possible. Therefore I would say that a launch event is most likely week 3 or week 4 Thursday or Friday 6PM.
post #157 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by J120387 View Post

wow man... ive heard those duet interfaces are really nice, but suuper expensive. ive been lookin to update my audio interface, but dont have the money as of now.

If you have the money, the Duet is an amazing little (tiny, actually) portable device. You can control the unit directly from inside of Logic (and GarageBand) via CoreAudio. At five benjamins, it is 2 or 3 times more expensive than some of the cheaper USB audio interfaces out there. But IMO the improved fidelity and uber-low latency (mic'ed or direct) makes it worth it, even at twice the price. You'd have to demo one side by side to the competition to really appreciate the difference. It may not quite be an Ensemble, but it is still very much an Apogee. Absolutely perfect for the mobile musician.

BTW, to no one in particular, anyone who thinks USB = FireWire hasn't seen what can be done over a single FireWire connection. Its much more than just a fast connection to external hard drives. Its a shame IMO to not get at least one FW400 connector in the MBA. (sigh)

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

  MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Reply

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

  MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Reply
post #158 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by walldorfb View Post

, good one! And thank you for the welcome and appreciate the effort to answer a n00b's post!

But seriously, does any1 have a serious opinion on the thing?

We all have serious opinions. That doesn't mean that we have any knowledge that would lead any of those opinions to be useful, other than for the expected admonition of, if you can wait a while, do so. If you can't then buy something now.

Really, none of us know anything. we read the news and extrapolate from there. sometimes, we get lucky, and sometimes not.
post #159 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

We all have serious opinions. That doesn't mean that we have any knowledge that would lead any of those opinions to be useful, other than for the expected admonition of, if you can wait a while, do so. If you can't then buy something now.

Really, none of us know anything. we read the news and extrapolate from there. sometimes, we get lucky, and sometimes not.

Piggybacking on this advice: If there's a MacBook Pro that fits your needs now, buy it. If a new update comes out you can either sell yours and use the money to update inexpensively, or you can just hang on to your machine, which will still fit your needs. It's way too easy to take rumors way too seriously.
"...within intervention's distance of the embassy." - CvB

Original music:
The Mayflies - Black earth Americana. Now on iTMS!
Becca Sutlive - Iowa Fried Rock 'n Roll - now on iTMS!
Reply
"...within intervention's distance of the embassy." - CvB

Original music:
The Mayflies - Black earth Americana. Now on iTMS!
Becca Sutlive - Iowa Fried Rock 'n Roll - now on iTMS!
Reply
post #160 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amorph View Post

Piggybacking on this advice: If there's a MacBook Pro that fits your needs now, buy it. If a new update comes out you can either sell yours and use the money to update inexpensively, or you can just hang on to your machine, which will still fit your needs. It's way too easy to take rumors way too seriously.

Yeah, if you have to have it *now* then get it now. Most people aren't like that. But if you can wait a few weeks, I think it would be worth it. The next model's chips are probably rolling out of Intel's plants right now, if they aren't already soldered into new machines.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Next-gen Apple MacBook Pros to gain multi-touch trackpad