or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Next-gen Apple MacBook Pros to gain multi-touch trackpad

Next-gen Apple MacBook Pros to gain multi-touch trackpad - Page 2

post #41 of 199
a 15" LED MBP with a 2.6GHz Penryn, Multi-Touch Pad, Blu-Ray drive & GeForce 8700 would make me giddy
post #42 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by J120387 View Post

hmm... im in quite a predicament right now.. i bought a macbook pro about 9 days ago because i needed it for school and i had sold my old macbook before i got my macbook pro. i am still within the 14 day return period and was wondering if i should return my macbook pro and wait computerless until they come out with the new one? i had opened the dvi-vga adaptor from the packaged seal and everything, would they even take macbook pro back even if i opened the packaged stuff it came with(dvi/vga adaptor, front row remote)?

Personally, I don't think we'll be seeing MB or MBP updates for at least 6 weeks. Apple hates to cloud the customer's judgement so they may hold off updated that line until the MacBook Air gets its fair share of the limelight.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #43 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylan3d View Post

not a big difference between 2.5GHz and 2.6GHz.

True, but for most laptop users, battery life and heat problems are at least as important as CPU speed I think. A CPU running around 2.5-.6 GHz is plenty fast for almost anything for most of us (a good upgraded GPU is a different issue of course). Cranking up the clock is going to deplete the battery and generate considerably more heat, causing compromising problems. If you need faster, probably you're a Mac Pro candidate.
post #44 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton View Post

You've been here long enough, I'm sure, to have noticed that people really do say absurdly stupid things (the whole xMac business, being disappointed every Macworld because the announcements are underwhelming, and many more). It gets tiresome, does it not?

And as I said, I think I'm in a petty mood today.

Good thing you tell us.

Oh, and by the way, what is so new about this rumor of a MacBook Pro with touch capabilities? I think it was obvious the minute they presented the Air.
post #45 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagreatnate View Post

side question - does anyone have any advice about going with a matte or glossy screen? I'll be doing some minor work with final cut (probably express) for my church. it won't be anything super demanding as far as production quality is concerned.

thanks for your help.

Dear Nate,

you'd better rush to the Apple store right now as I have this feeling that the new MBP will be blessed with a glossy screen only

Amen,
mrO
post #46 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyMac View Post

a 15" LED MBP with a 2.6GHz Penryn, Multi-Touch Pad, Blu-Ray drive & GeForce 8700 would make me giddy

An external bluray drive would be even better.
post #47 of 199
I hope Apple updates the Macbook Pro tommorow. Then I could change my order from the 2.6 with 7200RPM HDD to the new one and save around $200.
post #48 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr O View Post

Would a single FW-400 or dual-USB2.0 ports be enough to power a Blu-ray drive without plugging into an additional power source?
post #49 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitanbuzo View Post

I hope Apple updates the Macbook Pro tommorow. Then I could change my order from the 2.6 with 7200RPM HDD to the new one and save around $200.

I am pretty sure the Macbook Pros will be updated tomorrow or next week or the week after. To that guy who said "6 weeks" you are an idiot, that is over a month. Read the article, it said "serveral WEEKS" not Months. It won't take them 6 weeks.
post #50 of 199
One unfortunate revelation from the Macbook Air was the absence of any sort of dock connector. I may be in the minority, but I use my machine in an environment where a proper dock/port replicator would come in very handy. It's not a deal breaker (or my last 3 portables wouldn't have been Apple machines) but it would be a nice feature to have.

Of course since no recent Apple portable has had this I never really expected it to show up.
Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous Communist plot we have ever had to face? - Jack D. Ripper
Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous Communist plot we have ever had to face? - Jack D. Ripper
post #51 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebeat View Post

I am pretty sure the Macbook Pros will be updated tomorrow or next week or the week after. To that guy who said "6 weeks" you are an idiot, that is over a month. Read the article, it said "serveral WEEKS" not Months. It won't take them 6 weeks.

I'm pretty sure 6 would count as "several".
post #52 of 199
Quote:

Why exactly am I an idiot? Apparently I'm too much of an idiot to know why I am an idiot. Is it because I think Apple's marketing engine will want a new machine that caters to a niche market to have a full month release before being upstaged by other, more popular notebooks?
post #53 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bancho View Post

One unfortunate revelation from the Macbook Air was the absence of any sort of dock connector. I may be in the minority, but I use my machine in an environment where a proper dock/port replicator would come in very handy. It's not a deal breaker (or my last 3 portables wouldn't have been Apple machines) but it would be a nice feature to have.

Of course since no recent Apple portable has had this I never really expected it to show up.

The docking station is an odd beast. It has never really been a big seller. And the proprietary connection used to connect them is usually an unsightly port at the bottom of machines with a sliding door. I don't see Apple doing this.

Kensington showcased a nifty docking station at MacWorld for $130. It uses only one USB2.0 port to send video, audio and 5 additional USB ports. Everything except Ethernet, which can probbaly be handled by the USB-to-Ethernet adapter if you are using a MBA.
http://www.electronista.com/articles...n.usb.display/
post #54 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by joekewe View Post

I'm still dying for a 17" MBP with LED backlighting. C'mon Apple - go green! (with a brighter display and longer battery life).

Nobody seems to have actually manufactured a 17" LED backlit display yet for Apple to use, so you will have to wait a while longer.
The MACaholic
The MACaholic
post #55 of 199
It may not have been a big seller to consumers, but I work in an environment where just about everyone has a portable machine (Dell in this case) and they can basically go to any of the company's locations and be assured or docking their machine and with one connection, accessing a large LCD, keyboard, mouse, and ethernet. There's no door on the Dell machines nor is there one on the IBM/Lenovo machines also found here (used be some contractors and also supplied with port-replicators).

I'm happy they let me work with my Mac here, but I honestly have to say I'm jealous with regard to their dock setups (honestly, port-replicator is probably a more accurate term).

The device you linked to seems interesting but provides rather low resoution.
post #56 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Personally, I don't think we'll be seeing MB or MBP updates for at least 6 weeks. Apple hates to cloud the customer's judgement so they may hold off updated that line until the MacBook Air gets its fair share of the limelight.

It takes about 2 months for a new processor like the laptop class Penryns to ramp up production enough for Apple to announce a computer using them. Look at the 2 months from announcement the MacPro models took since Intel announced those chips. So I'd assume the "delay" for an updated MBP using new chips is not because of the MBAir but the usual production ramp. Thus we can expect new models in March. One can hope new graphics chips in there as well. SSD drive would be an option, but they do cost $1000 for a 64GB model, so don't expect that option to be cheap.
The MACaholic
The MACaholic
post #57 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradMacPro View Post

It takes about 2 months for a new processor like the laptop class Penryns to ramp up production enough for Apple to announce a computer using them. Look at the 2 months from announcement the MacPro models took since Intel announced those chips. So I'd assume the "delay" for an updated MBP using new chips is not because of the MBAir but the usual production ramp. Thus we can expect new models in March. One can hope new graphics chips in there as well. SSD drive would be an option, but they do cost $1000 for a 64GB model, so don't expect that option to be cheap.

2 months minus the two weeks since the Mac Pro came out is 6 weeks. You must be an idiot too.
post #58 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

Hardware wise Is it the same trackpad is the question. Maybe it doesn't work in those older ones, maybe it will.. Who knows?

Minus the surface area of the new trackpad, it's the same hardware. Even the old PowerBook G4 trackpads recognize 3 fingers. It's all in the software, which is easily updated by Apple, if it were so willing.

The iPod Touch applications cost absolutely nothing to Apple to add to everyone else's iPod Touch, yet they charge $20. It's typical Apple-style in ripping off the consumer.
Fragmentation is not just something we have to acknowledge and accept. Fragmentation is something that we deal with every day, and we must accept it as a fact of the iPhone platform experience.

Ste...
Fragmentation is not just something we have to acknowledge and accept. Fragmentation is something that we deal with every day, and we must accept it as a fact of the iPhone platform experience.

Ste...
post #59 of 199
Quote:

Six weeks is a few weeks. It's not even a few months.
post #60 of 199
Quote:

2 months minus the two weeks since the Mac Pro came out is 6 weeks. You must be an idiot too.

Intel News Release about the 45nm new chips was Nov. 11. Apple introduces new Mac Pro that uses them Jan 8. They ship in a couple of days after. That's a lot closer to two months than 6 weeks. Care to take back the crack about being an idiot?
The MACaholic
The MACaholic
post #61 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

The iPod Touch applications cost absolutely nothing to Apple to add to everyone else's iPod Touch, yet they charge $20. It's typical Apple-style in ripping off the consumer.

Well, there is something called Research and Devolpment....

Quote:
Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

Minus the surface area of the new trackpad, it's the same hardware. Even the old PowerBook G4 trackpads recognize 3 fingers. It's all in the software, which is easily updated by Apple, if it were so willing.

And I really bet there are some hardware differences between the G4 pads and the new ones, maybe not large ones but I bet there are.
MacBook Pro 17" Glossy 2.93GHz, iPad 64GB, iPhone 4 16GB, and a lot of other assorted goodies.

If you're a troll and you have been slain. Don't be a Zombie.
MacBook Pro 17" Glossy 2.93GHz, iPad 64GB, iPhone 4 16GB, and a lot of other assorted goodies.

If you're a troll and you have been slain. Don't be a Zombie.
post #62 of 199
When?
This is my only question.

Sorry but I don't want to be the person who buys a MBP and watches as exactly 15 days later the new and improved MBP is released.
Do. Not. Want.
post #63 of 199
Quote:

Intel News Release about the 45nm new chips was Nov. 11. Apple introduces new Mac Pro that uses them Jan 8. They ship in a couple of days after. That's a lot closer to two months than 6 weeks. Care to take back the crack about being an idiot?

Please don't take offense, soliphism is not mocking you, but rather mocking the post by "thebeat". It looks like the sol's post was not clear on this.
post #64 of 199
Do those
Quote:
people familiar with the company's 2008 product roadmap say

that the Mac Mini will be upgraded also (obviously not with a multi touch pad, in case people wondered what I mean...)?
post #65 of 199
News of an update to Penryn within the next 'few weeks' [/ducks to avoid the pedants], is welcome though long-awaited.

The main question will be around the form-factor- same or unchanged?

I know us 'pro-users' are supposed to be above such frivolities but, hey, we are seduced by new shiny things as much as the next person!

Also someone mentioned that Penryn fits on same logic boards as SR but the upcoming Woodcrest (is that right?) processors will NEED a redesign so that could be the time to do it. I reckon same form-factor till then.

Also: Do we think the Air mean no 12" PB 'do-all' replacement? Me thinks yes, lamentably.
"There, there. Your tears say more than real evidence ever could."
"There, there. Your tears say more than real evidence ever could."
post #66 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Please don't take offense, soliphism is not mocking you, but rather mocking the post by "thebeat". It looks like the sol's post was not clear on this.

Thank you, JeffDM.

Quote:

I was called an idiot for thinking it would be about 6 weeks before they are released, and not released tomorrow. Since you also came to a conclusion of a March release datethough for different reasonsI jested that you must be an idiot too. I meant no offense.
post #67 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanUK View Post

Also: Do we think the Air mean no 12" PB 'do-all' replacement? Me thinks yes, lamentably.

My opinion...
There will be no 12" Mac as Sony has shown us a display smaller than 13" in a widescreen format makes for an uncomfortable machine for reading pages of text and Apple will not go step back into a 4:3 screen size no matter how ideal it is for business.

I do miss my 12" PB!
post #68 of 199
Quote:

Would a single FW-400 or dual-USB2.0 ports be enough to power a Blu-ray drive without plugging into an additional power source?

I don't know about USB, but a stock FahrWahr port has plenty enough juice to power something on the order of a Blu-ray reader/burner.

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

post #69 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansii View Post

Let's hope they fix the biggest problem with the MBP, the screen resolution

Hmm... what do you mean? Too low, too high?

I'm tensely waiting for a new MBP generation. I'd like to have the non-glossy, 17" Hi-Res screen with LED backlight.

For me, the biggest problem would be if they would cancel the non-glossy version.

But I fear that Hi-Res will yield tiny graphics, since Leopard is still not really resolution-independent. It's about time for Apple to take the final step, and some weeks ago (Nov/Dec) they told us so on their roadshow.
post #70 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansii View Post

Let's hope they fix the biggest problem with the MBP, the screen resolution

There is no problem. You can get up to 1920x1200 in a MBP. Anything beyond that is not available for notebooks as far as I've seen.
post #71 of 199
Quote:

There is no problem. You can get up to 1920x1200 in a MBP. Anything beyond that is not available for notebooks as far as I've seen.

I have read one complaint that the MBA's 1280x800 resolution 13" was too low to be useable.
post #72 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by elroth View Post

Soon, I hope - I've been waiting...

I think it was said recently that the penryn chips will be available in quantity around the end of January, so I'm hoping for that.

I also hope it's soon. I was going to get my daughter a new 24" for the start of the second semester in HS, now, it'll have to be gotten afterwards.
post #73 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post

I don't know about USB, but a stock FahrWahr port has plenty enough juice to power something on the order of a Blu-ray reader/burner.

There are now shipping slim Blu-ray burners similar in form factor to Apple's Superdrive

http://fastmac.com/slim_bluray.php

The software support from Apple is missing. toast 8 supports it.

I don't think Apple wanted FireWire on the MBA because of the tethered nature of it's use and the higher power drain a normal 6 pin port would allow. On the other hand, the mini 4 pin port like on a camcorder or other self-powered device could have been supported in power and size, but intel doesn't favor FireWire so Apple would have had to add a chip and design the motherboard themselves. The MBAir is not targeted as a computer that stands on it's own as your only computer. Think of it as a second computer, a sidecar to your main Mac. considering it's use of your main optical drive, it's clear it has a slave relationship to a master Mac Pro or iMac. (or heaven forbid, a Windows machine)
The MACaholic
The MACaholic
post #74 of 199
Quote:

Like really. I think people are getting a bit touchy.

More sarcasm? If not, why on earth would you want that at current prices? The speed increase is overhyped. If you want data protection, It's cheaper to get an Optibay to mirror the main hard drive, and you get much more storage.

By the way, it's MacBook Pro here, Mac Pro is a different beast.

It's the newest thing, andthere will always be some who want the newest thing, even if it's worse for their use than the current thing.

Bragging points, and all that. Oh no, did I say that? Of course, it's for that tremendous speed boost they need.
post #75 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael F. View Post

So Im thinking about buying a Macbook in the next few days, because to me the difference between a midrange Macbook and a 15" Pro is 2 inches of screen space and a better graphics card for an extra 1000 dollars. Since i dont work on/play with video games or produce 3D stuff, paying all that extra money doesnt seem worth it for my personal needs (graphic design, audio, some video stuff). But, with this rumor circulating should I wait to see if the current Pros get a price drop?

I would appreciate some advice

Thanks!

Unless you have no choice, I'd wait a bit. The month is more than half over. Good chance we'll see something by then. no promises though, just seems likely.
post #76 of 199
Pleeease, let the new 17" MBP come with a LED-backlit display. But this seems unlikely, as others here have pointed out...
post #77 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagreatnate View Post

i'm glad to read this article. i was waiting for the Expo to swap my Dell for a MBP, hoping Jobs was going to announce a new update. i was disappointed when he did not and am now waiting for a refreshed MBP.

side question - does anyone have any advice about going with a matte or glossy screen? I'll be doing some minor work with final cut (probably express) for my church. it won't be anything super demanding as far as production quality is concerned.

thanks for your help.

Glossy screens have more color saturation, better blacks and cleaner whites, and look less "grainy?

Matt screens have better reflection control, and are still pretty good at the above.

It depends on how, and where you work. If you work in a darkened place, then reflections don't matter. If you work in a bright area where there is glare, then reflections might be a bother if you can't orient the screen properly.

But, some people aren't bothered by reflections at all (they tend to disappear in many images), while others are bothered by the slightest bit.
post #78 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr O View Post

Ommmm...

Wait, and it will come!
post #79 of 199
Quote:

I don't think Apple wanted FireWire on the MBA because of the tethered nature of it's use and the higher power drain a normal 6 pin port would allow. On the other hand, the mini 4 pin port like on a camcorder or other self-powered device could have been supported in power and size, but intel doesn't favor FireWire so Apple would have had to add a chip and design the motherboard themselves. The MBAir is not targeted as a computer that stands on it's own as your only computer. Think of it as a second computer, a sidecar to your main Mac. considering it's use of your main optical drive, it's clear it has a slave relationship to a master Mac Pro or iMac. (or heaven forbid, a Windows machine)

I don't want a MBA as my *only* computer, I just want a very portable Mac for recording sessions to go along with my cool-as-heck and oh-so-portable Duet.

post #80 of 199
Quote:

Firewire should have enough power. There were the same questions long ago about DVD.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Next-gen Apple MacBook Pros to gain multi-touch trackpad