or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Next-gen Apple MacBook Pros to gain multi-touch trackpad

Next-gen Apple MacBook Pros to gain multi-touch trackpad - Page 3

post #81 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch View Post

I'm pretty sure 6 would count as "several".

Because you're "that guy". you know, like the show "That Girl".

Well, it made sense when I first typed it.\
post #82 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangochutney View Post

When?
This is my only question.

Sorry but I don't want to be the person who buys a MBP and watches as exactly 15 days later the new and improved MBP is released.
Do. Not. Want.

You really ARE new here.

Don't you know that no matter when you buy it, it will ALWAYS be exactly 15 days before the new one comes out?
post #83 of 199
There are reports that mobile Penryn chips are facing delays due to a faulty flux capacitor or tardis or something.
http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/15/i...penryn-delays/
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #84 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanUK View Post

News of an update to Penryn within the next 'few weeks' [/ducks to avoid the pedants], is welcome though long-awaited.

The main question will be around the form-factor- same or unchanged?

I know us 'pro-users' are supposed to be above such frivolities but, hey, we are seduced by new shiny things as much as the next person!

Also someone mentioned that Penryn fits on same logic boards as SR but the upcoming Woodcrest (is that right?) processors will NEED a redesign so that could be the time to do it. I reckon same form-factor till then.

Also: Do we think the Air mean no 12" PB 'do-all' replacement? Me thinks yes, lamentably.

Penyrn does fit into the current boards.

Woodcrest is the soon to be discontinued part. You mean Wolfdale. Those are also Penyrns.

Penyrn refers to all of the new chips on the 45nm process. That includes mobile, desktop, and server/workstation.
post #85 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I have read one complaint that the MBA's 1280x800 resolution 13" was too low to be useable.

Too low for what?
post #86 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post

I don't want a MBA as my *only* computer, I just want a very portable Mac for recording sessions to go along with my cool-as-heck and oh-so-portable Duet.

wow man... ive heard those duet interfaces are really nice, but suuper expensive. ive been lookin to update my audio interface, but dont have the money as of now.
post #87 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Too low for what?

Too low to be useable is what stated. That the resolution wasn't high enough on a 13" screen to yield "acceptable" viewing results.

Complete FUD, but I find it interesting what people can find to complain about.
post #88 of 199
Quote:

Too low to be useable is what stated. That the resolution wasn't high enough on a 13" screen to yield "acceptable" viewing results.

Complete FUD, but I find it interesting what people can find to complain about.

I meant, too low to be usable for what?

The machine isn't intended for working high rez photo's, though we did that for years with 1024 x 768 displays that cost, along with the graphics board, $24,000. That was ages ago, it would cost much more today.

You do what you gotta do.
post #89 of 199
Quote:

I meant, too low to be usable for what?

As with most whiners, he didn't go into any detail as to his reasoning.
post #90 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

You should also note that the "multi-touch" trackpads have been in Apple laptops since the PowerBook G4 1.67ghz series. Two-finger scrolling is ubiquitous on Apple these days.

I wonder if Apple will include it on previous laptop generations, or if it will charge a $20 upgrade fee.

oh noes, a whole $20 for new functionality that i hadn't ever expected when i originally bought my laptop
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
post #91 of 199
Wow.. the only way I can think of to respond to this article is...

DUH

What an incredible "rumor" AppleInsider!
-Jason
-Jason
post #92 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

The new MBPs better be under 1 inch thick and weigh less than 3 pounds or I am going to be very angry!!!
Why doesn't Apple listen to their customers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwdawso View Post

He's being sarcastic!

Yes.
Thank you. jwdawso, for putting out that fire before it got out of hand!

I was referring to the bevy of complaints about the MBA centering around the fact that it didn't have the features of a MB or MBP. I figured that I would get in early on the complaints that the new MBP doesn't have the features of the MBA (size and weight).

But I had family issues, had to leave the computer, and was unable to reel in what the bait hooked...
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
post #93 of 199
Quote:

Unless you have no choice, I'd wait a bit. The month is more than half over. Good chance we'll see something by then. no promises though, just seems likely.

I've waited 6 months, I'm just going to sit it out until the things are announced and then probably sit it out another short while just to make sure the local mac store doesn't ship me an old one.

2 weeks, 4 weeks, 6 weeks, 8 weeks .. hardly matters now, waited so long I'll just keep waiting.
post #94 of 199
wouldn't it be brilliant if in selected applications you could actually use the track pad as a tablet?
now that would be evolutionary.
post #95 of 199
I have been thinking of upgrading to a Macbook Pro from my 12 in. iBook. It has been a nice little laptop for my everyday uses, but I am about to go off to college and I want to install windows on it to for some of the software, and I really like the Macbook Pro, even if it is a little pricey. I may get a new one for my birthday in April, so I am hoping they update it before then, because as a guy said earlier, they haven't updated it in like 6 months, and I don't like buying an Apple product after that long because they are probably about ready to release an upgrade (even if it is just an updated, faster processor and a multi-touch pad)
Thanks.
post #96 of 199
ah crap, i ordered a new MPB with 7200RPM when steve did not make any MBP announcements. Should I return my MBP to the apple store? Crap... crap... crap!!! i still have my 12" iBook to keep until then..
post #97 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsNly View Post

Well, there is something called Research and Devolpment....

It was already "researched and developed"... the same applications were always in the iPhone. Don't try to justify sodomy on behalf of Apple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sennen View Post

oh noes, a whole $20 for new functionality that i hadn't ever expected when i originally bought my laptop

$5 for the "permission" to use 802.11n too on macbooks... $20 for the permission to use the same applications that are already on the iPhone, and which already work on jailbroken iPod touches.

What next, $100 to get permission to play blu-ray discs on already-installed blu-ray drives? That is preposterous.

The apologies of fanbois are fantastically ridiculous these days.
Fragmentation is not just something we have to acknowledge and accept. Fragmentation is something that we deal with every day, and we must accept it as a fact of the iPhone platform experience.

Ste...
Fragmentation is not just something we have to acknowledge and accept. Fragmentation is something that we deal with every day, and we must accept it as a fact of the iPhone platform experience.

Ste...
post #98 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatmix01 View Post

ah crap, i ordered a new MPB with 7200RPM when steve did not make any MBP announcements. Should I return my MBP to the apple store? Crap... crap... crap!!! i still have my 12" iBook to keep until then..

Ordered or received?
If received do you mind the 10% restocking fee?
Do you need it now or can you wait until the next revision, no matter how long that may be?
post #99 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatmix01 View Post

id say just keep yours because the update is probably not going to be anything huge, just a few spec upgrades
post #100 of 199
Quote:

$5 for the "permission" to use 802.11n too on macbooks...

there are legal reasons why they had to charge for that, just in case you weren't aware.

Quote:
What next, $100 to get permission to play blu-ray discs on already-installed blu-ray drives? That is preposterous.

yes, that is preposterous, and a completely different scenario (and a ridiculous analogy, if i might add)

Quote:
$20 for the permission to use the same applications that are already on the iPhone, and which already work on jailbroken iPod touches.

as i said, for new functionality that the trackpad hadn't been designed for, i don't see a problem at all with $20. get a grip.

Quote:
The apologies of fanbois is fantastically ridiculous these days.

rofl. not a fanboi, sorry to burst your bubble, h8r... sorry, whiner.
post #101 of 199
LISTEN! I AM SORRY FOR BEING AN ASS EARLIER BY SAYING "6 WEEKS IS NOT SERVERAL WEEKS, ITS MONTHS" or whatever the hell I said. Let me just clear it up with you guys, your all good people and I didn't mean to piss anyone off. So yes to that other guy, you are right, several can be considered as 6 weeks. You were right, I was wrong. I was just confused and pissed that the new MacBook Pros has not shipped yet. Thanks and SORRY GUYS!
post #102 of 199
Well something is indeed coming soon...below is a snapshot taken tonight from the online Apple Store for Education Institutions. You'll see that the 17" MacBook Pro ship time has snuck up to 2-3 weeks.

You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
post #103 of 199
Ooohh... everybody ready???!!
post #104 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHagan4755 View Post

Well something is indeed coming soon...below is a snapshot taken tonight from the online Apple Store for Education Institutions. You'll see that the 17" MacBook Pro ship time has snuck up to 2-3 weeks.

Well, that would be nice, but I get a different result as of 6:54 PST on the regular site:

All this "you are an idiot" stuff is idiotic given the fact that this thread is entirely speculative. We can only speak of probabilities and can't reasonably call anyone an idiot based on their guess. Some may be more likely than others and that is as much as one can say.

Now as to what I think is more likely, I'd say that 1-3 weeks is likely. If Apple can announce new MBPs tomorrow then they could have announced them during Macworld. More likely they'll get a bit of a breather, then announce a special press event on a Tuesday around the end of the month. But, of course, I'm guessing just like everyone else. But there is a history for this. Around 4 years ago they announced new computers a few weeks after macworld.

BTW, 6 is probably more than several:

several |ˈsev(ə)rəl|
adjective & pronoun
more than two but not many :

(actually, people often use "several" for as few as two, so I'd say even that definition is a bit lacking)
post #105 of 199
Quote:

there are legal reasons why they had to charge for that, just in case you weren't aware.

yes, that is preposterous, and a completely different scenario (and a ridiculous analogy, if i might add)

as i said, for new functionality that the trackpad hadn't been designed for, i don't see a problem at all with $20. get a grip.

rofl. not a fanboi, sorry to burst your bubble, h8r... sorry, whiner.

The legal reasons where a ploy to see how many people would cough up the money to be able to use something that they already paid for. Sorry, but that's cold money-grabbing on the part of Apple. Sarbanes-Oxley does not require Apple to charge additional fees for installing something on their products. Plain and simple.

The blu-ray analogy is perfectly suited for this discussion because it parallels perfectly what Apple did with the 802.11n capability. Perfectly. You bought function with the computer, but Apple disabled it. In order to use the function, you need to pay for it again. Perfectly suitable analogy.

You don't see a problem with $20 because you see Apple with rose-colored glasses. You would say something completely different if it were Microsoft who was charging $20 to unlock some hidden feature in the mice they sell, such as being allowed to use the fourth button on the intellimouse. You would complain in that instance, and you are right to do so. Just make sure you're not a hypocrite at the same time.

Ste...

Ste...
post #106 of 199
Quote:

The blu-ray analogy is perfectly suited for this discussion because it parallels perfectly what Apple did with the 802.11n capability. Perfectly. You bought function with the computer, but Apple disabled it. In order to use the function, you need to pay for it again. Perfectly suitable analogy.

...and one mustn't forget how iDVD originally would only work with **new** Apple computers with factory installed SuperDrives, just to force people to buy new computers to get this functionality. Even if you bought iLife from Apple at full retail the app was deliberately designed not to work with any computer, new or not, that didn't have an Apple-installed SuperDrive. This crippling of iDVD was entirely greed-based and had nothing to do with compatibility.

Apple has a history of not updating software-enableable functionality when new hardware is introduced. The iPods provide an example of this. The 3G iPods, for example, lacked gapless playback and lost their bookmarks if you didn't switch to another track before the iPod went into "Deep Sleep"--all software fixable issues. Apple fixed these issues in newer iPods but left those criipples in the 3G--you couldn't even pay Apple for a software fix.
post #107 of 199
I see a lot of new guys here with their first post.

I hope it won't remain at one for long.

So, I just want to welcome you all to AI, and to have you join our (usually) friendly squabbles, and informational bloodletting.
post #108 of 199
something is INDEED COMING... If it says 2-3 weeks, I bet you its gonna be the new mbp's TOMORROW! I am seeing 2-3 weeks as well. Don't know where your seeing 24 hours, you probably haven't refreshed the page or something.

And actually, he says Educational. So you probably have to login with a student # or something.
post #109 of 199
seems like this thread could potentially be a long one..
post #110 of 199
I think I am going to try to stay out of this thread, its getting a little edgy

MacBook Pro 17" Glossy 2.93GHz, iPad 64GB, iPhone 4 16GB, and a lot of other assorted goodies.

If you're a troll and you have been slain. Don't be a Zombie.
MacBook Pro 17" Glossy 2.93GHz, iPad 64GB, iPhone 4 16GB, and a lot of other assorted goodies.

If you're a troll and you have been slain. Don't be a Zombie.
post #111 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebeat View Post

something is INDEED COMING... If it says 2-3 weeks, I bet you its gonna be the new mbp's TOMORROW! I am seeing 2-3 weeks as well. Don't know where your seeing 24 hours, you probably haven't refreshed the page or something.

And actually, he says Educational. So you probably have to login with a student # or something.

I'm seeing 24 hours for all MBPs in the American Apple Store for both regular and education stores. Refreshed several times.
post #112 of 199
Quote:

I'm seeing 24 hours for all MBPs in the American Apple Store for both regular and education stores.

me too.
post #113 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

The new MBPs better be under 1 inch thick and weigh less than 3 pounds or I am going to be very angry!!!
Why doesn't Apple listen to their customers?

"Run faster. History is a constant race between invention and catastrophe. Education helps but it is never enough. You must also run." Leto Atreides II
"Run faster. History is a constant race between invention and catastrophe. Education helps but it is never enough. You must also run." Leto Atreides II
post #114 of 199
Quote:

The legal reasons where a ploy to see how many people would cough up the money to be able to use something that they already paid for. Sorry, but that's cold money-grabbing on the part of Apple. Sarbanes-Oxley does not require Apple to charge additional fees for installing something on their products. Plain and simple.

You don't see a problem with $20 because you see Apple with rose-colored glasses. You would say something completely different if it were Microsoft who was charging $20 to unlock some hidden feature in the mice they sell, such as being allowed to use the fourth button on the intellimouse. You would complain in that instance, and you are right to do so. Just make sure you're not a hypocrite at the same time.

you are free to have your interpretation, of course... i don't know the specifics of the precedent, however iirc, the discussion here around the added 802.11n capability was, after initial whining, generally positive as apple were early adopters of 802.11n, that a token charge was required, and that you were getting an additional benefit - for said token, yet required, charge. even if you are correct, for goodness sake it is $5 - and apple - like microsoft - is a money making venture within a capitalist society!

the blu-ray analogy does not fit as the macbooks still had wireless capability before and after the option was offered and customers were under no obligation to pay the $5. again, ridiculous scenario - even for apple which has a history of offering optical drives with lower burn speeds, or graphics cards with reduced capability (eg. iBook g4).

rose colored glasses? where here have you seen me gush over apple? just because i would be more than happy to pay $20 to improve an existing product, add extra functionality that previously it didn't have. it is better than having to buy a brand new MBP!

re: the quoted text in bold - so when apple was making trackpads for the powerbook 1.67ghz and onwards, they knew that one day they would be able to screw buyers over for another $20?? simply lollable.

oh, and btw, don't take it all so seriously!
post #115 of 199
Quote:

oh, and btw, don't take it all so seriously!

How dare you! That's heresy.

Ten lashes.

And no pudding tomorrow.
post #116 of 199
Quote:

you are free to have your interpretation, of course... i don't know the specifics of the precedent, however iirc, the discussion here around the added 802.11n capability was, after initial whining, generally positive as apple were early adopters of 802.11n, that a token charge was required, and that you were getting an additional benefit - for said token, yet required, charge. even if you are correct, for goodness sake it is $5 - and apple - like microsoft - is a money making venture within a capitalist society!

Actually he's wrong. I'm not sure if it's an accident or an intentional FUDing but the cost was a whopping $1.99. As for the exact reason for the charge, I can't say. I always thought it was SOx but i can't find anything that would force a company to charge for any software or how they are to go about the pricing.
post #117 of 199
$1799 FOR THE LOW END MACBOOK PRO!? U LUCKY AMERICANS. It COSTS $2100 CAD!!!!!!!!!
post #118 of 199
Quote:

How dare you! That's heresy.

Ten lashes.

And no pudding tomorrow.

that and i am unable to have children due to liking the MBair (roasted gonads)!!
post #119 of 199
Quote:

You really ARE new here.

Don't you know that no matter when you buy it, it will ALWAYS be exactly 15 days before the new one comes out?

I bought my first 17" IMac because the salesman said that "macs' dont go on sale! Two weeks later they came out with the new Imac with a 20" screen, bigger hard drive, faster chip, etc. So much for the school of hard knocks!!!
Sad part about it is I still LOVE MACS!!! I want a MBP, BUT I WILL NOT BUY ONE UNTIL THEY UPDATE IT!!!!!!!
Once burned shame on you, twice burned shame on me.
post #120 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by leesgirls View Post

I bought my first 17" IMac because the salesman said that "macs' dont go on sale! Two weeks later they came out with the new Imac with a 20" screen, bigger hard drive, faster chip, etc. So much for the school of hard knocks!!!
Sad part about it is I still LOVE MACS!!! I want a MBP, BUT I WILL NOT BUY ONE UNTIL THEY UPDATE IT!!!!!!!
Once burned shame on you, twice burned shame on me.

Technically speaking, new Macs don't go on sale. They just update, and sometimes if the updates don't warrant the price they drop that too. Now, there is always refurbished Macs but I don't know if I'd consider that the same as "a sale".

Welcome to AI.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Next-gen Apple MacBook Pros to gain multi-touch trackpad