or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Final Cut Studio 3

Final Cut Studio 3

post #1 of 41
I dont know if it goes here (so i also posted in apps) u can move it if u want

but here it goes

So when is it coming out?

There were rumors for a shake 4 replacement called phenomenon
also there were rumors by some analyst that apple would go BLU
So any chance that apple would make that announcement at NAB 08

So basically FCS3 comes with
FCP7 (unchanged mostly, yet with AVCHD and AVC Intra native editing and support for 4K+ native)
Motion/Phenomenon (basically merge the weaker Motion with the stronger Shake)
Soundtrack Pro (with 7.1 PCM support for blu ray)
Compressor (with option to export to Disc Studio Pro for blu ray)
obviously Disc Studio Pro (for CD, DVD and BD (blu-ray disc) support with BD-J and BD-Live and Picture in Picture (PiP))

So that sounds about right?

Am i off or am i a year too early?
post #2 of 41
Historically it's been 2 years between releases of fcp (pretty much, give or take).
FCS 2 came out last year at NAB. So you could expect FCS 3 Nab 2009 but to be on the safe side I'd wait until Nab this year, yah never know.

Not sure what's in the wings with Shake - but yeah, I expect something. Those who do know can't say (and I ain't one of them) ... it's been a long time since Shake 4.1. Might be at Nab ...
post #3 of 41
NAB seems the place to announce a Shake replacement...or maybe even Siggraph. I don't think it will be part of Studio 3 with Motion already in it.
post #4 of 41
While not terribly important, I think FCP's interface could use a refresh to be more inline with the look of Motion, DVDSP, etc.

As a side note, I'd love to be able to label track and layer names in FCP.
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
post #5 of 41
And they should fix the damn issue with transparency not rendering realtime.
Even Avid's old versions could handle that in realtime on a 1 GHz machine, with multiple tracks, not just two, which makes FCP 6 cripple on a MacPro..
post #6 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleCore View Post

NAB seems the place to announce a Shake replacement...or maybe even Siggraph. I don't think it will be part of Studio 3 with Motion already in it.

My biggest fear is that they give Shake the ol' Apple razzledazzle and bork the app - sheesh they couldn't wait to bundle Color and kick it out into the hands of the many to keep FCS sales rolling in.

Wouldn't mind betting they'll bundle Shake/Phenomenon as well for the same reason.
There's a chocolate fish here for any takers ...
post #7 of 41
A GUI tweak of FCP would be nice. Motion stability could be greatly improved.
post #8 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by welcomb View Post

I dont know if it goes here (so i also posted in apps) u can move it if u want

but here it goes

So when is it coming out?

There were rumors for a shake 4 replacement called phenomenon
also there were rumors by some analyst that apple would go BLU
So any chance that apple would make that announcement at NAB 08

So basically FCS3 comes with
FCP7 (unchanged mostly, yet with AVCHD and AVC Intra native editing and support for 4K+ native)
Motion/Phenomenon (basically merge the weaker Motion with the stronger Shake)
Soundtrack Pro (with 7.1 PCM support for blu ray)
Compressor (with option to export to Disc Studio Pro for blu ray)
obviously Disc Studio Pro (for CD, DVD and BD (blu-ray disc) support with BD-J and BD-Live and Picture in Picture (PiP))

So that sounds about right?

Am i off or am i a year too early?

Final Cut really needs a UI tweak. Nothing too drastic but just a refreshed yet functional UI. Color needs to be integrated more into the suite as well as Final Cut Server. Right now the suite resembles Tiger..a mismatch of UI

We "may" see native AVCHD and AVC-Intra but I wouldn't count on it. ProRes 422 was designed primarily so that Apple DOES NOT have to suppor 31 flavors of codecs. AVCHD is a consumer format that doesn't even match HDV or DV bitrates so I'm in no hurry to see them expend energy on this. AVC Intra would be the new codec I'm interested in if any.

I expect a new DVD Studio Pro with native Blu-ray support as an option at least complete with options for TrueHD and DTS-HD MA. Linear PCM is nothing special. Apple could support that right now out of the box but Linear PCM is the "fat" version of multichannel audio. Give me the the Dolby and DTS options please as compressor plugins and add BD-Java authoring.

I'd love to see Apple announce Logic Pro 8.5 complete with outstanding integration with FCS 3. Soundtrack Pro is good for video guys that need audio but Logic Pro is for audio guys that need video.

I do think a Shake replacement is coming and odds are studios like Weta Digital and others are beta testing it right now. It'll be like Motion but on "Barry Bonds" type steroids. Motion 3 showed Apple's work with 3D and that'll be pumped up in Phenomenon as well as the masking stuff.

Now if Apple could just aquire a Match Moving company and round this baby out.

I'm looking forward to NAB 08.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
post #9 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

We "may" see native AVCHD and AVC-Intra but I wouldn't count on it. ProRes 422 was designed primarily so that Apple DOES NOT have to suppor 31 flavors of codecs.

That's just a matter of how it's supported, whether a format is supported but it's converted on import/capture or it's supported for native playback. What ProRes does is allow more versatility because it loads the CPU a lot less. AVCHD and presumably AVC-intra are incredibly compute intensive formats, and it makes little sense to try to edit them natively.

Quote:
AVCHD is a consumer format that doesn't even match HDV or DV bitrates so I'm in no hurry to see them expend energy on this.

Being a consumer format is hardly an issue, DV and HDV are consumer formats that still managed to get adopted as a low end pro format. AVCHD doesn't even need the same bitrate, but if someone feels it's needed, the format can go up to 24Mbps. It's quite stunning at 17Mbps/1080p coming from a consumer camera.
post #10 of 41
FCS is being re-written from the ground up, or so i hear. hopefully we'll see FCS3 at nab09...
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
post #11 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by sennen View Post

FCS is being re-written from the ground up, or so i hear. hopefully we'll see FCS3 at nab09...

As I understand it, it does need to happen because it's Carbon based and there will be no 64 bit Carbon, so it needs to go to Cocoa in order to work as a 64 bit program.
post #12 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

As I understand it, it does need to happen because it's Carbon based and there will be no 64 bit Carbon, so it needs to go to Cocoa in order to work as a 64 bit program.

correctomundo!
post #13 of 41
Quote:

That's just a matter of how it's supported, whether a format is supported but it's converted on import/capture or it's supported for native playback. What ProRes does is allow more versatility because it loads the CPU a lot less. AVCHD and presumably AVC-intra are incredibly compute intensive formats, and it makes little sense to try to edit them natively.

Agreed. I think Apple's done good with ProRes 422 and by next year if Red is on time with shipping their $3000 Scarlet 3K camera we'll have "affordable" HD recording using RAW. I think AVCHD is a good consumer format but I'm in no hurry to see it proliferate into the semi pro ranks despite it's potential for excellent quality. I think the increased editing difficulty erases much of the size advantage of the format.

Quote:

Being a consumer format is hardly an issue, DV and HDV are consumer formats that still managed to get adopted as a low end pro format. AVCHD doesn't even need the same bitrate, but if someone feels it's needed, the format can go up to 24Mbps. It's quite stunning at 17Mbps/1080p coming from a consumer camera.

I think it's somewhat of an issue because in the case of HDV and now AVCHD both are using Long GOP codecs aimed at delivery. This is great for squeezing recording time onto 13GB tapes but by next year we're going to see 16 and 32GB compact Flash and other storage take over. I figure consumers will love the longer record times while videographers will enjoy being able to record at higher bitdepth and colorspace with easier editing.

Quote:

Wooohooooo!
- SolipsismX
- SolipsismX
post #14 of 41
Quote:

How do you know this? I'm not challenging you, I just want to know that this is accurate. If it is, then it's good news. I'm willing to wait as long as Apple needs to get it right.

Hopefully Apple's team is working hard on updating Color's interface. I LOVE Color. But it needs some of that Apple UI magic, you know?
post #15 of 41
Here is what I've heard from some industry insiders.

Apple MAY be looking to sell it's pro apps to Adobe. I know it's shocking, but I heard this from a reputable source. This is not a definite sale, but don't be surprised if it happens.

Motion & Shake will be combined into one powerful 3D application. I haven't heard of a new name, but lovingly referred to as SH-MOTION for now. ;-)

My own personal thoughts are that DVD Studio Pro will be upgraded to include Blu-Ray authoring.

COLOR still has some bugs, and an update is needed for this great tool.

As for the announcement of Final Cut Studio 3, I don't think Apple will announce it at NAB 2009 (since they did not participate in NAB 2008). I would bet on January 2009.
post #16 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megawatt View Post

Here is what I've heard from some industry insiders.

Apple MAY be looking to sell it's pro apps to Adobe. I know it's shocking, but I heard this from a reputable source. This is not a definite sale, but don't be surprised if it happens.

Motion & Shake will be combined into one powerful 3D application. I haven't heard of a new name, but lovingly referred to as SH-MOTION for now. ;-)

My own personal thoughts are that DVD Studio Pro will be upgraded to include Blu-Ray authoring.

COLOR still has some bugs, and an update is needed for this great tool.

As for the announcement of Final Cut Studio 3, I don't think Apple will announce it at NAB 2009 (since they did not participate in NAB 2008). I would bet on January 2009.

My personal thoughts:

I think it would be absurd for Apple to sell their Pro apps. Final Cut Studio, Logic Studio et al comprise Professional apps that leverage the power of Quicktime. Without them Quicktime is simply a player/framework that no one would care about (VLC anyone?)

At times Apple seems like the ADD child that cannot remain focused on products or initiatives for a substantial amount of time. The iPod is not going to last forever.

However I'm positive that were are just entering a transition phase that is more thorny than I would have guessed. Apple needs to transition to Cocoa. Cocoa needs to fully ascend to the top and cancelling 64-bit Carbon does just that.

iTunes can be so much more. Apple needs to own this path from the creative tools all the way through to distribution. I'm worried that they're getting a bit too cozy with large distributors. I'd love to see Apple extend a branch to Independents and promote Apple Pro apps as tools to further a Revolution.

It's clear now that Leopard more of a transition OS than I had initially believed. I'm happy with the performance but we're far from seeing the grand vision of Apple. Carbon must go so that Cocoa can live.

Another problem is an over reliance on Jobs. Apple needs to change focus on the company. Find a compelling pitchman for Audio/Video. Find a pitchman for Business/Creative stuff. Apple should be a multiheaded Hydra with a collection of superstars. I want to see Apple excited about being in markets. Don't get old and stodgy on us too fast.
- SolipsismX
- SolipsismX
post #17 of 41
I'm a bit skeptical that Apple would sell its pro apps. It's possible, but it sounds a little off. Right now, they're offering something for just about every stage of life for a given piece of media, production, post production (Final Cut, etc), distribution (iTunes store & client) and use (iDevices).

I don't see what advantage Adobe would get out of the pro apps other than to pay their competitor to quit the market. Then there's another problem, I think Apple makes the pro apps to get media pros to buy the machines. With the competition, you don't have to get a Mac to run the software, a lot of the competition support Mac and Windows.
post #18 of 41
I have no idea how profitable the ProApps are for Apple. And I'm not really clear how many resources are required to keep them cutting edge and competitive.

Adobe has already consolidated too much control with their acquisition of Macromedia. The LAST thing I want is for them to have complete control over the Audio/Video world.

Alsoi, Adobe would have zero interest in keeping them Apple-centric and would quickly migrate them to be Windows-centric with Mac port afterthoughts like their CS lineup. Ugh. Talk about instability problems trying to make the apps both Quicktime AND Windows Media compatible. Oy.

I pray that Apple doesn't sell them off. I don't think they will.
post #19 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northgate View Post

I have no idea how profitable the ProApps are for Apple. And I'm not really clear how many resources are required to keep them cutting edge and competitive.

Adobe has already consolidated too much control with their acquisition of Macromedia. The LAST thing I want is for them to have complete control over the Audio/Video world.

Alsoi, Adobe would have zero interest in keeping them Apple-centric and would quickly migrate them to be Windows-centric with Mac port afterthoughts like their CS lineup. Ugh. Talk about instability problems trying to make the apps both Quicktime AND Windows Media compatible. Oy.

I pray that Apple doesn't sell them off. I don't think they will.

If Apple sold the Pro Apps they may as well be selling the Mac Pro because the sales numbers would die off like plague victims. Plus Quicktime as a media architecture would take a serious hit as well.

I think the rumor is a pretty unlikely one. iPods are simply not "that" sustainable a business unit to count on say 5 years from now. Apple needs to be that cool computer platform for creative types. The company ethos has always centered around that.

Doing spreadsheets and Presentations is something you think about being PC dominated. Doing Audio or Video is something you think of as a Mac strongsuit.
- SolipsismX
- SolipsismX
post #20 of 41
Also, look at the Mac Pro and the Pro apps as the image building and R&D of Apple. Something like the Formula 1 is for Porsche, Ferrari. Honda, Renault, Mercedes and the like.
post #21 of 41
Apple is not selling their pro apps. Anyone in that camp is smoking too much of something bad for the brainpan.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #22 of 41
Quote:

not in the near future.
post #23 of 41
okay

1st, apple will NEVER EVER, sell the pro apps (they have maybe half of the creative pro market) they arent going to give it up anytime soon (b/c software is cheap but apple hardware is expensive)

2nd apple is in a better position to buy adobe (trash its production suite) and turn its design and web suites into mac only

3rd
going back to the initial prediction
so it seems like a 2009 release

disc studio 5 -- bd java + bd live
compressor 4 -- blu-ray + dolby true-hd + pcm 8 channel + dts hd ma
fcs 7 - higher bit depths (16bit 5k - red epic has to be supported right)
motion/phenomenon might be merged, but it might not be (depends on if they can make a phenomenon studio)
color will be updated for reliability
post #24 of 41
Here's what I'd like to see in the FCS 3:

1. A rebuild of FCP 7 for better support of RAW, 4K+ resolution, improved 1080p real-time engines. Better support for 10-bit, 12-bit and 14-bit color. ProRes 444 or ProRes RGB would be nice too.

2. An updated FCP UI that is more consistent with Soundtrack, DVDSP, Etc.

3. Soundtrack Pro needs to have it's menu's and shortcuts re-designed. Repetitive tasks like compression are buried and cannot be added to the toolbar. Export options for Dolby, DTS and all their variants (either natively or via a 'send to Compressor'). Apple needs to pay more attention to why SoundForge kicks it's ass.

4. Color's UI needs to be overhauled. Color also needs to natively support RAW, 4K+ resolution, improved 1080p real-time performance. Also it needs improved round-tripping with FCP (it's a pain in the ass the collapse all layers before sending to Color).

5. DVD Studio Pro needs to support the new interface architecture of Blu-Ray. Hell, I don't even know what language blu-ray's menu's are designed in. Flash? Plus we need full blu-ray authoring support.

6. Motion needs to include Shake's node workflow. Otherwise I'm sticking with After Effects. I never use Motion because I'm a died-in-the-wool AE guy. Apple needs to give more compelling reasons to start using Motion (or whatever the hell Phenomenon is supposed to be).

7. Cinema Tools needs to be folded into Compressor and dropped as a stand-alone app. Compressor has a nifty "intelligent guesser" for removing 3:2 pulldown frames, but it clips super white's above 100IRE. Doh! Bad, bad, bad. Cinema Tools leaves the footage unmolested but does not batch process without a cadence database. Can we get these two things merged?
post #25 of 41
Quote:

but it clips super white's above 100IRE. Doh! Bad, bad, bad.

Out of curiousity, is that truly bad? I thought 100IRE is effectively "out of band" for real video and is only useful for calibration. I don't think all video players even output above it.
post #26 of 41
Quote:

Out of curiousity, is that truly bad? I thought 100IRE is effectively "out of band" for real video and is only useful for calibration. I don't think all video players even output above it.

Yes, for video distribution you want to clip that whites at 100IRE. You basically want your video in Rec 601 (SD) and Rec 709 (HD) for broadcast.

However, if you're doing work for film and your project will require a film-out, then you want to preserve as much white detail as possible since 35mm has so much highlight latitude.

And even if you do only plan for broadcast or DVD distribution, you may want to retain your highlight information during the color correction process (and then clamp then as your final pass). For instance, if your scenes are intentionally over-lit by a stop or two and you want to bring down your gamma considerably, those highlights over 100IRE will also drop down into legal color space. This is good because it preserves that detail throughout.
post #27 of 41
Quote:

5. DVD Studio Pro needs to support the new interface architecture of Blu-Ray. Hell, I don't even know what language blu-ray's menu's are designed in. Flash? Plus we need full blu-ray authoring support.

BD-J: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BD-J

if it is important enough to you then email apple and let them know, because atm they don't feel there is a market outside of the big studios and hope to skip straight to downloads.
post #28 of 41
Quote:

BD-J: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BD-J

if it is important enough to you then email apple and let them know, because atm they don't feel there is a market outside of the big studios and hope to skip straight to downloads.

I already have. In fact I gave one of the Apple reps a ration of shit a few months ago at the LAFCPUG meeting for not making DVDSP a bigger competitor in the professional authoring arena like FCP did against Avid.

I produced a massive DVD project for Disney's 50th Anniversary Yearbook in DVDSP. The scripting environment required for the project was a nightmare. The project ended up a success, but the behind-the-scenes effort to produce it was herculean and really shouldn't have been.

http://jimhillmedia.com/blogs/chris_...7/12/3984.aspx
post #29 of 41
The plural of menu is menus, not menu's. Everyone got that?
Attention Internet Users!

"it's" contraction of "it is"
"its" possessive form of the pronoun "it".

It's shameful how grammar on the Internet is losing its accuracy.
Attention Internet Users!

"it's" contraction of "it is"
"its" possessive form of the pronoun "it".

It's shameful how grammar on the Internet is losing its accuracy.
post #30 of 41
I'm glad there is a lot of discussion about Final Cut Studio. I personally would hate to consider the future of FCS if Apple sold it to Adobe. I like the philosophy from Apple of "Buy our great hardware, and get great apps designed specifically for that hardware."

As for DVD Studio Pro, I really like using that as my authoring tool. My clients who spend thousands of dollars shooting HD would like to have a Blu-Ray copy to view on HDTVs. If DVDSP isn't upgraded to include Blu-Ray authoring, then it will become only a consumer tool, not a pro app.
post #31 of 41
Quote:

I'm glad there is a lot of discussion about Final Cut Studio. I personally would hate to consider the future of FCS if Apple sold it to Adobe. I like the philosophy from Apple of "Buy our great hardware, and get great apps designed specifically for that hardware."

As for DVD Studio Pro, I really like using that as my authoring tool. My clients who spend thousands of dollars shooting HD would like to have a Blu-Ray copy to view on HDTVs. If DVDSP isn't upgraded to include Blu-Ray authoring, then it will become only a consumer tool, not a pro app.

Blu-ray doesn't denote Professional or Amateur that is a matter of personal opinion. I understand your frustration but it's not the only way to deliver HD content to your clients. I'd rather be able to deliver HD on DVD to keep costs down. There is a BD-9 spec that may never see the light of day because of politics. Frankly I don't want to deliver in a format that is dwarfed by DVD as my only HD option.
- SolipsismX
- SolipsismX
post #32 of 41
Quote:

Blu-ray doesn't denote Professional or Amateur that is a matter of personal opinion. I understand your frustration but it's not the only way to deliver HD content to your clients. I'd rather be able to deliver HD on DVD to keep costs down. There is a BD-9 spec that may never see the light of day because of politics. Frankly I don't want to deliver in a format that is dwarfed by DVD as my only HD option.

I thought we already have something like "BD-9". I don't know if it supports interactive stuff, but at least you can burn video as AVCHD to a DVD and a Blu-Ray player will play it, and Apple's software can re-import it if need be. It works pretty well for me.
post #33 of 41
Looks like something may be brewing...

http://macdailynews.com/index.php/we...omments/17171/
post #34 of 41
Well i found the article interesting and i actually always had the feeling that this may indeed come. But if that did happen, i doubt they would be stupid enough to sell their own apps, they would just take the Creative Suite (Design and Web parts) and toss out the video part and voila, (oh and merge Lightroom with Aperture), problem solved. And i doubt antitrust violations would apply when for FCP, there are many alternatives like AVid , sony vegas and Pinnacle, etc. and for Photoshop there is Corel Paint Pro and for Aperture there are many versions, etc., Logic Pro also has competitors along with Shake/Motion/Phenomenon/After Effects such as Combustion/Inferno/... from Autodesk, or Cinema 4D ...

But i really think that apple will keep the Pro Apps, otherwise in the future, they may lose the creative professional market share (and where the media is the people go)

For instnace

Logic Studio --> CD//Internet --> iTunes

Final Cut Studio --> DVD/Blu ray --> DVD Player (probably renamed Disc Player)
---> Internet --> iTunes

so u get the point, (even playing a DVD on XP is a pain with the need for an external player and what not (Cyberlink PowerDVD or WinDVD are not perfect (buggy) compared to DVD Player)

And hopefully Apple is merely waiting until the format war was over and then for Bluray's wide acceptance (ie. Sony was in talks with Apple, but they could not get a burner only a read only BD drive b/c of power and price (so im waiting for June to be full of surprises)

June Predictions
- iPhone Gen 2 (w/ 3G)
post #35 of 41
Quote:

Looks like something may be brewing...

http://macdailynews.com/index.php/we...omments/17171/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringely

"Apple's recent hardware successes have come at the expense of Dell and HP," Cringely writes

Um NO. Apple is absolutely no competition to HP regarding hardware. We probably sell more servers in a week than Xserves have sold in their entirety. HP provides hardware for ILM and Dreamworks amongst many others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringley

"Apple's decision to not yet ship systems with Blu-ray drives or even support third-party or external Blu-ray drives in its professional applications has caused consternation in the $4 billion event video industry... This has hurt Mac sales and Final Cut sales, and since Steve Jobs isn't stupid it is probably deliberate," Cringley writes.

Bullshit. The penetration of Blu-ray is pathetic as compared to DVD. Blu-ray just barely won the battle against HD DVD. Compressor has a plugin format that can take your video and at least encode it for Blu-ray targetting from Telestream I believe. The BD-Java support in TODAY's players is iffy. Blu-ray has not caused Apple any pain whatsoever.

Occam's Razor

Apple didn't exhibit at NAB because they have to rewrite Final Cut Studio. Carbon-64 is dead and FCS needs to go 64-bit.

I like Cringley's articles but his accuracy is POOR. Remember the whole "Apple's going to add a special chipe to encode/decode HD"?

He's a "pie in the sky" guesser.

Apple's Pro Apps further their initiatives Quicktime, Core Audio/Video/Image/Animation and more. Without Pro Apps they lose the margins of the Mac Pro. Not going to happen.

full stop
- SolipsismX
- SolipsismX
post #36 of 41
A friend of mine who works at Apple replied to an email I sent him about 10 days ago (he's actually an ILM employee who also consults with Apple on Shake). Everyone over there is basically laughing at all the "Apple selling FCP!" hysteria. And they don't mind the rumor. It allows their competitors to relax long enough to let their guard then and then openings them up for Apple to clobber them with big surprises later this year.

I asked if the Studio suite was a loss lead for Apple. He responded, "Hell no. The Pro Apps are a cash cow for Apple. The only app doing poorly is Aperture and even it has doubled it's business with the release of 2.0."

Pro Apps sell MacPro's and MacPro's sell Pro Apps. It's an integral part of their marketing strategy. Pro Apps are going nowhere.

Phew!
post #37 of 41
Here is a related article.

FCP passes the million mark
post #38 of 41
Quote:

Um NO. Apple is absolutely no competition to HP regarding hardware. We probably sell more servers in a week than Xserves have sold in their entirety. HP provides hardware for ILM and Dreamworks amongst many others.

Bullshit. The penetration of Blu-ray is pathetic as compared to DVD. Blu-ray just barely won the battle against HD DVD. Compressor has a plugin format that can take your video and at least encode it for Blu-ray targetting from Telestream I believe. The BD-Java support in TODAY's players is iffy. Blu-ray has not caused Apple any pain whatsoever.

Occam's Razor

Apple didn't exhibit at NAB because they have to rewrite Final Cut Studio. Carbon-64 is dead and FCS needs to go 64-bit.

I like Cringley's articles but his accuracy is POOR. Remember the whole "Apple's going to add a special chipe to encode/decode HD"?

He's a "pie in the sky" guesser.

Apple's Pro Apps further their initiatives Quicktime, Core Audio/Video/Image/Animation and more. Without Pro Apps they lose the margins of the Mac Pro. Not going to happen.

full stop

Playing devils advocate, Apple picked up DVD technology when it was insignificant compared to cassettes. Some times you have to do something to look like your ahead of the curve.
post #39 of 41
Quote:

Apple didn't exhibit at NAB because they have to rewrite Final Cut Studio.

I don't think that's even the biggest reason they didn't exhibit at NAB. As far as I'm concerned, it's a shift in marketing tactics. Apple was there, just not with their own centralized booth. I've heard that they did have reps at key booths supporting certain vendors, and they were at an off-show event too.
post #40 of 41
The consensus over at dvcreators.net is that the NAB just wanted way too much money for Apple to have a booth when they didn't have anything new to showcase. Just a simple matter of not being worth the investment.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Final Cut Studio 3