or Connect

Obama!

post #1 of 266
Hm... content. I'll ask a question. That seems to fly.

Um, so can he win the next primary?

post #2 of 266
Nah, he's toast, I think. The best we can hope is that Romney becomes the Republican nominee. And then 8 more long years of the media going nuts over the Clintons being in the White House again. Might as well reinstate the independent counsel law now.
post #3 of 266
Obama gives good speech. Dude really, hardcore, found his voice tonight.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
post #4 of 266
Yes. Yes. Two yeses because of the 5 character minimum but also because two yeses is better than one.
post #5 of 266
yess!
post #6 of 266
Yes he can.

Fellows
May the peace of the Lord be with you always

Share your smile, Have respect for others, and be loving to all peoples

Paul in Athens: Acts 17 : 16-34

post #7 of 266
Obama/Gore 08!
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #8 of 266
I still think Hillary will win the nomination. Also, I don't like Obama's speaking style and new "voice." It sounds contrived.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #9 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

Obama/Gore 08!

= McCain '08
post #10 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

I still think Hillary will win the nomination. Also, I don't like Obama's speaking style and new "voice." It sounds contrived.

No! Obama '08! Bros before Hos!
post #11 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

No. (No.)

Right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mydo View Post

= McCain '08

Wrong.
post #12 of 266
Time will tell. McCain may come off as a Dole or a Reagan. Obama may be a JFK or a McGovern.
post #13 of 266
Quote:

I don't like Obama's speaking style and new "voice." It sounds contrived.

LOL Would you rather have this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coS5HpmeXMc

Ohh and...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqLvBUSJucg

My goodness how this country needs a CHANGE!

Obama 2008

Fellows

- and for those who are still with me this following video is serious and all the more reason it might not hurt to elect a younger Obama for president. There actually were reasons I voted for Bush as Gov of Texas... As you can see things have changed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pw4Bh...eature=related

post #14 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

Nah, he's toast, I think. The best we can hope is that Romney becomes the Republican nominee. And then 8 more long years of the media going nuts over the Clintons being in the White House again. Might as well reinstate the independent counsel law now.

I have a weird sense that you are right... the numbers don't currently add up in Obama's favor -- even if he continues to break even ( a long shot given the NY/California dichotomy that is the Clinton station), he will lose the nomination just based upon outstanding support of Hillary's campaign from the democratic political machinations. The only way this scenario doesn't work out is if the ripple effects of high profile endorsements change some core DLC member's minds... In any event, we are talking back room politics that NO newcomer
stands a chance at winning...
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
post #15 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardeeharhar View Post

I have a weird sense that you are right... the numbers don't currently add up in Obama's favor -- even if he continues to break even ( a long shot given the NY/California dichotomy that is the Clinton station), he will lose the nomination just based upon outstanding support of Hillary's campaign from the democratic political machinations. The only way this scenario doesn't work out is if the ripple effects of high profile endorsements change some core DLC member's minds... In any event, we are talking back room politics that NO newcomer
stands a chance at winning...

We'll see by the time Tuesday's over. I think Obama could surprise us in California, actually...
post #16 of 266
I've switched my earlier support for Clinton to Obama. Here's why...

1. I do not support the DLC (might as well just elect a Republican).

2. I fully support Dean's chairmanship of the DNC and The 50 State Strategy (and the Clinton's will kick his ass out pronto and return to McAuliffe style leadership, ugh!)

3. I'm more prone to destroying this oligarchy we now have and prefer a fresh voice.

4. And, most importantly, I don't have the stomach for an 8-year media onslaught of Clinton-hating, phony controversies and microscopic examinations of their marriage.
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
post #17 of 266
Don't forget all the opportunities for Limbaugh and all those clowns to make racist jokes!
post #18 of 266
Racists jokes are more frowned upon than sexist ones! I doubt more women listed to Rush than black people.
post #19 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

Don't forget all the opportunities for Limbaugh and all those clowns to make racist jokes!

Yeah, the ones that, if anyone takes umbrage, are an occasion to hold forth on the humorlessness of liberals.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #20 of 266
I haven't fully tuned in to the upcoming US election yet. But there's something about this Obama dude that feels right. However, I admit that is entirely a gut reaction based on no factual info whatsoever. But I note that several living Kennedys are now throwing their weight behind him.

It almost seems from over here that the Republicans are losing ground in part because of the monumental struggle between Obama and Hilary. So what perspective can you guys give on this. It seems that the US election is shaping up to be very interesting indeed (should make for a pleasant change).

Oddly, we've just had an election and damn if the new guy isn't making all the right noises. That is, real statesman/great leader type noises. It's a little bit freaky actually. Of course, he's still in the post-election honeymoon period and is yet to face a real challenge to his level of commitment. But suddenly we've signed Kyoto, are about to formally apologize to the indigenous population for screwing them over and have told you guys "Nah fuck you, we'll hang in in Afghanistan but we're pulling out of Iraq" (and that's big - it ain't easy to stand up to the US government). Plus he's out and about dispensing food parcels to the poor and claims he will be doing so on a regular basis (apparently he's a genuine committed Christian).

Please tell me the times they really are a-changin'.
Tomorrow shall be love for the loveless;
And for the lover, tomorrow shall be love.
Tomorrow shall be love for the loveless;
And for the lover, tomorrow shall be love.
post #21 of 266
The thing that makes this election so different than the others in recent history is that this time around no one in the white house (pres or VP) is running. That hasn't happened for decades.
post #22 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fellowship View Post

LOL Would you rather have this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coS5HpmeXMc

Ohh and...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqLvBUSJucg

My goodness how this country needs a CHANGE!

Obama 2008

Fellows

- and for those who are still with me this following video is serious and all the more reason it might not hurt to elect a younger Obama for president. There actually were reasons I voted for Bush as Gov of Texas... As you can see things have changed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pw4Bh...eature=related

We aren't choosing between Bush and Obama. Bush is not running, no matter what you think of him. I said I don't like Obama's speaking style...that has nothing to do with Bush. Your post is just a case study in Bush Derangement Syndrome.
post #23 of 266
I think (and hope) Obama will make a very strong surge in the for Super Tuesday.

I'm also hoping that the Carolina, Patrick, but mostly Ted Kennedy's endorsement will make a significant impact on voters that decide their vote at the last minute. If Obama can pull a close loss or even possibly a win in Florida tomorrow, even though it's not worth anything, that will be HUGE. That would be the sign that Hillary's ship is pulling a Titanic.
post #24 of 266
I don't know. I don't think Kennedy has a huge influence outside of his own little sphere.
post #25 of 266
Quote:

I don't know. I don't think Kennedy has a huge influence outside of his own little sphere.

Right, but his sphere is the sphere where Obama's support is especially weak.
post #26 of 266
Voters are going to start paying attention to what exactly Big Ears will do as President.
He has already started pandering. He is stressing to the latino electorate in California his support for drivers licences for illegal aliens. Something that Americans disagree with by a 3-1 margin.
Obama is just another slick phony asswipe who will say or do anything to get elected. Sure, he speaks well, but we might as well vote for Anthony Robbins or Claude Osteen.

Its amazing how gullible people are.
post #27 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve666 View Post

Voters are going to start paying attention to what exactly Big Ears will do as President.
He has already started pandering. He is stressing to the latino electorate in California his support for drivers licences for illegal aliens. Something that Americans disagree with by a 3-1 margin.
Obama is just another slick phony asswipe who will say or do anything to get elected. Sure, he speaks well, but we might as well vote for Anthony Robbins or Claude Osteen.

Listen, I don't care what anyone does to get elected. What I care about it what someone does when they get into office.

It's true. Every politician lies, especially on the campaign trail. Some more than others. But...

There is a fundamental difference in ethical standards when it comes to Republicans Vs. Democrats. Democrats lie about getting laid and about political positions, but when Republicans lie, they lie BIG. Republican lies lead to the country getting FUCKED. Republican lies hurt people, and they hurt people without conscience.

I'd rather have a president who says "I did not have sex with that woman" than a president who sells drugs to support terrorists so that they can overthrow a minor dictator, or a president who fabricates a threat so that he can bring tens of thousands of Americans into a war for oil and political posturing in the Middle East because of and taking advantage of a McCarthyist paranoia against Islam... a war that ends up bankrupting the country no less...

Romney, McCain, Huckabee, Giulianai... they would all do the same thing and I have no doubt. They would lie to keep us in the war. They would lie to pretend the economy is better than it is so that they can claim tax cuts for the rich work. They would lie to start new wars, like a war in Iran.

I don't believe Clinton and especially Obama would do the same or similar.

But it's amazing how gullible people are...

So many stupid people actually believed that Saddam was a threat large enough to provoke a preemptive attack when all evidence and international opinion was that he wasn't. And so many stupid people will continue to believe the lies if a Republican gets elected. It's time for it to stop. We deserve better than what those liars have to offer.
post #28 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

Right, but his sphere is the sphere where Obama's support is especially weak.

New England?
post #29 of 266
Anyone who thinks the Democrats are any less corrupt than Republicans is fooling himself.
Hillary is in bed with outsourcing companies, Big Pharma, and is only out for herself. Obama is the same, they are all corrupt.
Bush is just one man, McCain is nothing like Bush, perhaps Romney also.
However, I dont trust any of them and they give me no reason to trust them.
Obama is no different, he just speaks purdy.
post #30 of 266
Quote:

Your post is just a case study in Bush Derangement Syndrome.

Ah, yes. That would a mutation of The Clinton Bashing Disease.
post #31 of 266
Quote:

New England?

He's weakest with the liberal grassroots and blogosphere. Edwards is their darling. But the writing is on the wall. Obama is the viable alternate to Edwards.
post #32 of 266
Quote:

Jesus dude. Take a pill.
post #33 of 266
Quote:

So how do you square "...support for drivers licences for illegal aliens. Something that Americans disagree with by a 3-1 margin." and "will say or do anything to get elected." Everyone knows that's an extremely unpopular position to take, so it doesn't sound like someone who "will say or do anything to get elected." He's not taking the safe road on that one.

Someone who will say or do anything to get elected would instead say Let's throw out all the illegals! Let's start executing illegals! No amnesty! And other nativist crowd-pleasing nonsense like that. And then throw in "Cutting taxes increases revenues!"
post #34 of 266
Quote:

So how do you square "...support for drivers licences for illegal aliens. Something that Americans disagree with by a 3-1 margin." and "will say or do anything to get elected." Everyone knows that's an extremely unpopular position to take, so it doesn't sound like someone who "will say or do anything to get elected." He's not taking the safe road on that one.

Someone who will say or do anything to get elected would instead say Let's throw out all the illegals! Let's start executing illegals! No amnesty! And other nativist crowd-pleasing nonsense like that. And then throw in "Cutting taxes increases revenues!"

ZING!
post #35 of 266
Quote:

What, like Pete Wilson?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Califor...187_%281994%29
post #36 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

There is a fundamental difference in ethical standards when it comes to Republicans Vs. Democrats. Democrats lie about getting laid and about political positions, but when Republicans lie, they lie BIG. Republican lies lead to the country getting FUCKED. Republican lies hurt people, and they hurt people without conscience.

No, I am a Republican and I don't believe that Republicans are out to hurt folks any more than Democrats. I do think that the party is now dumb enough to insist on divisive and short sighted policies...

Quote:
Romney, McCain, Huckabee, Giulianai... they would all do the same thing and I have no doubt. They would lie to keep us in the war. They would lie to pretend the economy is better than it is so that they can claim tax cuts for the rich work. They would lie to start new wars, like a war in Iran.

No, I don't think that they would. Insisting that Republicans are evil is no better than the idiocy of Limbaugh and other right wing talk show hosts. None of those folks [edit: McCain, etc...not Limbaugh, etc] are likely to want war with Iran.

Quote:
I don't believe Clinton and especially Obama would do the same or similar.

Clinton yes. Obama is equally as unknowns as say Romney.

Quote:
And so many stupid people will continue to believe the lies if a Republican gets elected. It's time for it to stop. We deserve better than what those liars have to offer.

Unreasoning hatred doesn't make for very smart thinking. That said, I think it is time for change. The problem with Obama is whether or not he really does represent change and whether that is a change for the good.

Bush was a change. Folks have wished a long time for a President to do what he thought right without much concern for re-election. For the most part Bush/Cheney certainly operated without much concern for 2006 or 2008. And arguably he didn't do much about 2004 beyond "stay the course" either.

Be careful what you ask for. We sure got it these last 8 years and another idiot for President is not going to be pretty. In many ways, I'd welcome Clinton in that regard.
post #37 of 266
Quote:

New England?

Yes but also:

- The Latino Population (Kennedy is popular among the Latino population)
Mainstream (older) Democrats
post #38 of 266
MSNBC Headline:
NBC: Fla. GOP vote too close to call; Clinton to top Democrat popularity contest

Specifically the second part -- very accurate. All Florida tells us is what we knew last July: who's the most established and "popular" without any campaigning.
post #39 of 266
McCain just won FL.

Probably the worst thing that could happen for the Democrats' chances of winning the Presidency.

McCain beats Clinton by 2% points and ties Obama. Still well within the MOE, but the candidates trounce every other Republican challenger in head to head matchups. Yes, the election will be close no matter what. It's just now going to be closer with McCain the presumptive nominee instead of the others.
post #40 of 266
If Clinton gets the nod, expect big time attacks on McCains age being a factor. The US LE is like 75 for men. I can see Billary hooking into this...
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider