or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › 10.1.3 is out.

10.1.3 is out.

post #1 of 47
Check your software update.
post #2 of 47
"is it snappy?"
post #3 of 47
[quote]
CD Disc Recording Peripherals:

* Expanded support for QPS, EZQuest, LaCie, Yamaha, MCE Technologies and Sony devices

Image Capture and iPhoto:

* Improved support for several digital camera models from Canon, Kodak and Sony

Graphics and OpenGL Improvements:

* DVD Playback on external VGA displays on PowerBook G4
* PowerBook video mirroring will be on by default when connecting to a new display
* Improvements for iTunes when the full screen visualizer is used

Networking and Security Improvements:

* Login authentication support for LDAP and Active Directory services
* OpenSSH version 3.0.2p1
* WebDAV support for Digest authentication
* Mail includes support for SSL encryption

The 17.3MB update is available via the Software Update Control panel

<hr></blockquote>

just looks like another boring digital hub update
post #4 of 47
I installed 10.1.3 and I don't notice any speed increase on my G4 400.
post #5 of 47
Sweeet! I will do some performance tests with Quake 3... Talk to you guys in a bit.
1 Peter 1:6-7
Powerbook G4 12" 1.33ghz, 60gig hd, 1.25 gigs ram.

Powermac G4 "Sawtooth" 400 mhz, 80gig hd, 384mb of ram, Rage 128 Pro graphics.

post #6 of 47
So... any tweaks for a Rev D iMac? No
post #7 of 47
Hopefully it'll get rid of all the problems the 10.1.2 update gave me.
post #8 of 47
Fixed one thing for me: i have a 466 DA G4 and before with 10.1.2 i would put it to sleep fine but when it woke up it would lose all audio until i restarted. Now with 10.1.3 it wakes just fine with no adverse affects. Worth the 5 minute download and install in my book!
post #9 of 47
Looks like UI and speed improvements are being hoarded for 10.2.
FREEING ROBSTAHS!!!@@ RUN ROBSTAHS, GO, GO, ROBSTAHS, RUN FOR FREEDOM##@! DOMO-KUN SAVE ROBSTAHS;;
FREEING ROBSTAHS!!!@@ RUN ROBSTAHS, GO, GO, ROBSTAHS, RUN FOR FREEDOM##@! DOMO-KUN SAVE ROBSTAHS;;
post #10 of 47
My Que! 24x burner now works in iTunes (but I'll stick with Toast).
post #11 of 47
What do people expect from a x.x.X update? Really.
post #12 of 47
[quote]Originally posted by Solishu:
<strong>Looks like UI and speed improvements are being hoarded for 10.2.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Who said 10.2 is going to be faster?
post #13 of 47
[quote]Originally posted by sc_markt:
<strong>

Who said 10.2 is going to be faster?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Wouldn't you expect it to be?
post #14 of 47
[quote]Originally posted by sc_markt:
<strong>Who said 10.2 is going to be faster?</strong><hr></blockquote>Several people have. Xeo has said it was noticeably faster in some areas and he was also the one who made those video clips of 6B11 back in December. I would imagine things have gotten even better in the three months since.
post #15 of 47
Installing now. Let you know if I see anything good...
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
post #16 of 47
Damn you Apple!! Why must you destroy my 14 day uptime??!!
post #17 of 47
Well, so far nothing special. Build 5Q45 and it seems the same over all. Not worse, but the overall, effect seems to be all under the radar stuff.
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #18 of 47
[quote]Originally posted by cdhostage:
<strong>So... any tweaks for a Rev D iMac? No </strong><hr></blockquote>

No change to anything on my Rev. D...well nothing that i have noticed
post #19 of 47
Hehe - already updated Fresh Apple with the news of 10.1.3 after finding it in Software Update.

<a href="http://freshapple.n3.net/" target="_blank">http://freshapple.n3.net/</a>
post #20 of 47
Scrolling is definitely better on my iBook 500 combo. Omniweb is noticeable as are long MS word documents v.X.

Frame rate on iTunes full screen visual is still 14-15.

QT looks to be the same.

Update was flawless. Didn't have all those printer drivers staring me in the face this time. That was nice.
iPad2 16 GB Wifi

Who is worse? A TROLL or a person that feeds & quotes a TROLL? You're both idiots.....
iPad2 16 GB Wifi

Who is worse? A TROLL or a person that feeds & quotes a TROLL? You're both idiots.....
post #21 of 47
[quote]Originally posted by kcmac:
<strong>Scrolling is definitely better on my iBook 500 combo. Omniweb is noticeable as are long MS word documents v.X.
</strong><hr></blockquote>

Wow, you're right. I didn't even notice that the scrolling was better, but now I do notice a difference on my iBook too.
post #22 of 47
[quote]Originally posted by EmAn:
<strong>

Wow, you're right. I didn't even notice that the scrolling was better, but now I do notice a difference on my iBook too.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Was going to say that it didn't make any difference to my set up but your right scrolling is better so i guess I just try it for awhile. Itunes full screen is much better- Dual gig w/cinema
I heard that geeks are a dime a dozen, I just want to find out who's been passin' out the dimes
----- Fred Blassie 1964
I heard that geeks are a dime a dozen, I just want to find out who's been passin' out the dimes
----- Fred Blassie 1964
post #23 of 47
Seems like a good update all in all. SSL support in mail is all I been waiting for

[ 02-20-2002: Message edited by: KrazyFool ]</p>
post #24 of 47
[quote]Originally posted by BuonRotto:
<strong>What do people expect from a x.x.X update? Really.</strong><hr></blockquote>

LIVE GIRLS! WET TEENAGERS! BRITNEY SPEARS!

Well... you had to ask...
post #25 of 47
iPhoto opens faster as well.
iPad2 16 GB Wifi

iPad2 16 GB Wifi

post #26 of 47
So do several other things:

TextEdit: 1 bounce
Sys Prefs: 2 bounces
iTunes: 4 bounces
Sherlock: 3 bounces

Terminal is now the poky one at 5 bounces.

Keen.

edit: This is on a 500MHz PowerBook (FireWire).

[ 02-20-2002: Message edited by: Kickaha ]</p>
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
post #27 of 47
[quote]Originally posted by tonton:
<strong>

LIVE GIRLS! WET TEENAGERS! BRITNEY SPEARS!

Well... you had to ask...</strong><hr></blockquote>

I wouldn't mind that either
post #28 of 47
Maybe it's a little faster, maybe it's just prebinding. Then again, the kernel was updated to 5.3, from 5.2.2 being the latest previous kernel. Top seemed to run a bit leaner.

Over-all, it's nothing to really write home about.

Looks like getaddrinfo is still broken though.

[ 02-20-2002: Message edited by: Eugene ]</p>
I can change my sig again!
I can change my sig again!
post #29 of 47
Ok, I have done some testing in Quake 3 before and after I installed the update, and performance did not change very much. My system is an iMac DV 450 with 384 megs of ram, 40 gig 7200 rpm Western Digital HD. (and of course the Rage with 8mb v-ram) All tests done with the four.dm_67 demo.

Results BEFORE upgrade (10.1.2):
1-39.4s 30.2fps
2-39.3s 32.1fps
3-39.3s 32.0fps
Average-~39.3s ~31.43fps

Results AFTER update:
1-39.6s 31.8fps
2-39.8s 31.7fps
3-39.7s 31.7fps
Average-~39.7s ~31.7fps

I think performance is pretty much the same, even though the results were down slightly. It DOES seem it is a bit smoother overall, though. Also, I am seeing the spinning beachball less, and iTunes does much better.. If someone could tell me how I get iTunes to show the FPS, I would appreciate it. Thanks a bunch.

[EDIT] Whoops. Meant to post all specs-
800x600@16bit overall.
Lightmap, Texture settings 1 down from top setting, Geometry medium.

[ 02-20-2002: Message edited by: Jeremiah Rich ]</p>

post #30 of 47
[quote]Originally posted by Jeremiah Rich:
<strong>If someone could tell me how I get iTunes to show the FPS, I would appreciate it. Thanks a bunch.</strong><hr></blockquote>Press the letter 'F' while the visualizer is on.
post #31 of 47
By the way, I've noticed that the iTunes visualizer is negatively affected by displaying text over it, such as the framerate. For me there is a noticable increase in speed from the framerate display being on to being off.
post #32 of 47
Ahh, a update.. thats nice..

Let you know if I notice anything in particular when i get home..

Seems nice with a small speedbumb thou, scolling is a b*tch when you have many applications running. (Sometimes)
iBook 800 with 10.2.6 - Various PC's with OpenBSD 3.3
iBook 800 with 10.2.6 - Various PC's with OpenBSD 3.3
post #33 of 47
[quote]Originally posted by kcmac:
<strong>Scrolling is definitely better on my iBook 500 combo. Omniweb is noticeable as are long MS word documents v.X.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

First thought the same on my PB 400, until I realized that my display settings were sat back to 32k colors after installation - so nothing special about this update (in that case at least)
post #34 of 47
But does it fix that stupid DS_Store bug? It seems like I have to rm that file everytime I reboot just to keep my finder window preferences each time I close a window. Soooo many people have this problem...it has to be a bug, right?
Robots are everywhere, and they eat old people's medicine for fuel.
Robots are everywhere, and they eat old people's medicine for fuel.
post #35 of 47
the installation seems to change the clock to show day of the week and 24hour clock, using the network time server.

maybe in anticipation of 20.02pm 20/02/2002 (200220022002) a palindromic moment this evening (except for the US, as have days and months the other way round)

e
post #36 of 47
I'll do the update through OS X, but is there a link on Apple's site to download it too? I have backed up every update and I'd rather download and back-up this first before using the OS X update feature...
I AM THE Royal Pain in the Ass.
I AM THE Royal Pain in the Ass.
post #37 of 47
Smooth update. Works well and seems to have a smoother GUI ( if not and I know people will balk at this but, snappier ). iTunes still doesn't recognise my QPS 24 x 10 x 40 firewire burner.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
post #38 of 47
[quote]Originally posted by DasDaSein:
<strong>

First thought the same on my PB 400, until I realized that my display settings were sat back to 32k colors after installation - so nothing special about this update (in that case at least)</strong><hr></blockquote>

You know I just noticed that too. too bad. I was happy at first. Actually, I don't ever really notice the difference between thousands and millions of colors except when I have a terminal window open because I use some transparency. Ah, the cost of style
post #39 of 47
Well, I was happy at first because people were claiming that their Yamaha SCSI CD-R's were working. I thought mine would too too, as the Finder and iTunes started to burn my CD's just fine... but then they both try to burn for a minute and then crap out with some generic error.

Back to Toast with me...
post #40 of 47
iPhoto seems to resize thumbnails much quicker on my Pismo. I haven't noticed much change otherwise.
-gEEk

"We're sorry; the number you have dialed is imaginary. Please rotate your phone 90 degrees and try your call again."
-gEEk

"We're sorry; the number you have dialed is imaginary. Please rotate your phone 90 degrees and try your call again."
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › 10.1.3 is out.