or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Motorola may bow out of cellphones, aid Apple and rivals

Motorola may bow out of cellphones, aid Apple and rivals - Page 2

post #41 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by eranthis View Post

Hi, this is my first post - I was moved to sign up because this thread just reminded me of how much I loved my startac.

I like to think I am not subject to bouts of nostalgia... guess not... where's the 512K enhanced thread?

also, my razr is the only cell phone, except for the startac, that gets reception that is far better than anyone else in the room...

oh my...

that takes me back.... to when i was sitting at the beach at 3 am, my Newton hooked up to my StarTac (with a $120 cable) and checking my email by accessing the internet through CompuServe at the end of the road in Canada...

sigh...

say what you will, but that was a great setup. slow, but it worked. that was the last cell phone i had, now where's the iPhone?
post #42 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfoniq View Post

No way! Is this guy for real?

And I say, soon man is going to land in the moon!

I do, however, see a buyout from Apple being possible!
Imagine how beneficial will be for Apple if all those experienced Motorola engineers start working on the iPhone.

if all those experienced Motorola engineers start working on the iPhone, THEN iPhone will be a mess.

Sachin
post #43 of 58
They've had it coming.

Since they shafted Apple on the development of PPC chips.

I remember the downclock debacle and the eternity on 500mhz.

They thought they were pretty smart.

Seems they couldn't compete with cpus.

Can't compete on Phones.

Double the revenge for Apple.

Intel cpus that are faster with performance per watt AND.

iPhone blows past any Razr I've seen.

Game over.

Lemon Bon Bon.

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

post #44 of 58
"according to research by a Nomura investment analyst"

Enough said!!
post #45 of 58
They'll luck up and make a phone that the general public likes in looks, with bad function of course (Razr), and make them change their minds.
post #46 of 58
when they called one of their phones the ROKR.

What a poor business move to name a key product for a Today Show weatherman who had gastric bypass surgery! What, were LAUR and CURC taken? I wouldn't be surprised if Moto's next train wreck is called the VIRA!
post #47 of 58
The problem with good engineering talent is that it is not the only important element in producing a product people want. The other important elements are: designers that have the artistic talent to make something beautiful, marketing that is able to understand what the customer wants and managment that is able to bring the whole together. Like a sports team, if you have failure in one of those elements then the result is going to be poor.

Palm has it own issues, and while with Cobalt they have the potential for an improved OS, the company has been unable to get this into a production product. What the exact reasons are it is not clear, but this is another company that has lost its way.

Ericsson, until they became Sony-Ericsson was a company that had good engineering, but poor design. Once they became the new brand, we started seeing improved design and usablity.

Motorola appears to have lost vision at the helm and does not seem to understand what people want. The engineering is good, but then final product feels more of one of comitty than industrial design.

Engineering counts for a lot, but if you can't package it in a form the user wants then its does not matter.
post #48 of 58
"Bye bye Moto!"
post #49 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by macFanDave View Post

when they called one of their phones the ROKR.

I don't think that was the problem. Lots of stuff does well in spite of poor name choices. I think the problem was that it was behind the curve and looked like an elephant suppository, it was big in a time the buyers were wanting thin devices.
post #50 of 58
The reason the RAZR "1" was so popular is because it was actually a design innovation over previous cell phones. RAZR2 isn't an innovation, it's an iteration. If they hoped to reprise the popularity of the RAZR, they should've aimed to innovate further. Unfortunately for them, they were beaten to the punch.

The iPhone is the new RAZR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinDrift View Post

"Bye bye Moto!"

hahahahahahahahaha

+1 point.

-Clive
My Mod: G4 Cube + Atom 330 CPU + Wiimote = Ultimate HTPC!
(Might I recommend the Libertarian Party as a good compromise between the equally terrible "DnR"?)
My Mod: G4 Cube + Atom 330 CPU + Wiimote = Ultimate HTPC!
(Might I recommend the Libertarian Party as a good compromise between the equally terrible "DnR"?)
post #51 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Yeah, it's too bad that they're doing poorly. They need to clean house and buy Palm or something. Palm's a real innovator.

This is what I mean about the history, as I am not saying that Motorola has not fallen by the wayside, but Motorola did pave the way to the industry we have today. If you are using an iPhone, Motorola laid the foundation work years ago. I bet that if you were to ask Jobs that even he would express his thanks to Motorola for its part in the mobile industry. Palm only thrived because Jobs did not like the Newton (for other reasons that you would have to understand Apple history/politics to have a grasp of) and therefor wrongly shelved it when it finally became decent. The iPhone is where the Newton would have been had it stayed in production. Actually, the iPhone would be further along now had the Newton stayed in production. Unfortunately, people like you, have no clue.
post #52 of 58
I must admit the first time my company gave me a Motorola phone i found the software to be far too complex and not in the slightest user friendly. I ditched it straight away for a Nokia which isn't too bad.

Mind you since i have been using Mac's for the last 15 years the majority of "other" software seems to be overly complex.
A reputation is not built upon the restful domain of one's comfort zone; it is made out of stalwart exposition of your core beliefs, for all challenges to disprove them as irrelevant hubris.- Berp...
A reputation is not built upon the restful domain of one's comfort zone; it is made out of stalwart exposition of your core beliefs, for all challenges to disprove them as irrelevant hubris.- Berp...
post #53 of 58
I dont think Moto will bow out that easily. Not after have just gained half of UIQ from SE.
post #54 of 58
I used to think how cool the RAZR phones were until I heard so many people complain about them. I don't know anyone that owned a RAZR not to complain about them. They just were not reliable.

I remember thinking how cool the Moto Q phone was going to be when it came out but a friend I know that works for Moto got it for his job and he did nothing but complain about what a piece of junk it is. At first, it was great as most with Moto products they look great when you look at 'em but when you start using them you realized you have just been duped.
post #55 of 58
Their cellphones might blow, but cellphones only make half of Motorola's total earnings. The other 2 divisions, Home/Network Mobility and Enterprise Mobility, brought in $2.5 billion each in Q4 2007. These divisions cover WiMax, DVRs, barcode scanners and two-way radios (amongst other things). Ever notice the radios that cops & firemen & the NFL use? You guessed it, Motorola. They're #1 in that industry (i know 'cause I work for #2)

So, yeah, their phones suck but in no means will they disappear.

I own...

1 Android Phone, 2 iPads, 1 Nook reader, 1 Mac Desktop, 1 Windows Laptop, 1 Linux Server, 1 FireTV

They all are used regularly and each have their place. Competition is good.

I own...

1 Android Phone, 2 iPads, 1 Nook reader, 1 Mac Desktop, 1 Windows Laptop, 1 Linux Server, 1 FireTV

They all are used regularly and each have their place. Competition is good.

post #56 of 58
shouldn't the new Motorola phone be called "the Croaker"?
post #57 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarquisMark View Post

Their cellphones might blow, but cellphones only make half of Motorola's total earnings. The other 2 divisions, Home/Network Mobility and Enterprise Mobility, brought in $2.5 billion each in Q4 2007. These divisions cover WiMax, DVRs, barcode scanners and two-way radios (amongst other things). Ever notice the radios that cops & firemen & the NFL use? You guessed it, Motorola. They're #1 in that industry (i know 'cause I work for #2)

So, yeah, their phones suck but in no means will they disappear.

Yeah, their two-way radios and walkie talkies are pretty core to their business. They should just end this mobile phone debacle though, and quit with (some) of their dignity intact.

The MOTO mobile brand has a lot of power still though, and value. Who might buy it??
post #58 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by res08hao View Post

shouldn't the new Motorola phone be called "the Croaker"?

No actually they will release a phone codenamed "Skarven" plus one other which name I dont have to hand. It should have WIFI finally.

The problem is that Moto take too long to get the phones stable, on the market and as a result they lose popularity and credibility.

Z8 - perfect example.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Motorola may bow out of cellphones, aid Apple and rivals