or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple's MacBook Air support docs reveal one-of-a-kind solutions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple's MacBook Air support docs reveal one-of-a-kind solutions

post #1 of 72
Thread Starter 
Without a built-in optical drive or a user-replaceable battery, the MacBook Air requires several unusual solutions that may stymie experienced Mac users -- including special tricks for resetting the SMC and installing Boot Camp. Apple's new support documents reveal these and more.

The sealed-in nature of the MacBook Air's battery prevents Apple from simply asking users to remove the battery pack and hold down a power button to reset the System Management Controller in last-ditch troubleshooting, according to Apple's support article on the subject. Instead, users have to issue a unique keyboard and power button combination and are encouraged to plug in into AC power where MacBook and MacBook Pro owners are cautioned against the same step.

The Mac maker nonetheless sends mixed news of what's possible with the Air's currently unique Remote Disc feature. Significantly, users can not only run Apple Hardware Test from data stored on the new MacBook itself but also from a Mac or Windows PC using Remote Disc: the installer application for Mac OS X includes a keyboard shortcut to run the test, with results appearing on the MacBook.

However, those hoping to use another computer as a complete substitute for an optical drive will be disappointed. While it's already known that Remote Disc can't be used for playing music CDs or DVD movies, a new support document confirms that a USB CD or DVD drive is absolutely essential for Boot Camp: though the Air can boot or install Mac OS X over a network, neither Windows XP nor Vista can recognize anything but a USB drive on the MacBook Air, Apple notes.

The company also cautions that the remote installation feature for Mac OS X won't work with WEP encryption enabled on a wireless network. Owners must either use WPA or switch off security altogether to install the software.

Other information revealed by Apple's new support documents:
The Migration Assistant reveals a numeric passcode system similar to the secure media sharing interface from the Apple TV or on Macs using Front Row.Apple highly recommends using the USB Ethernet adapter, rather than Wi-Fi, for the Migration Assistant; the wired connection is "significantly" faster, the company says.Ejecting discs from a Windows Remote Disc PC is no different than for a Mac; in fact, the Windows PC provides no warning when this happens, creating a potential surprise for anyone using the Windows system.Some potential technical problems have also surfaced. In extremely hot environments, 3D performance may slow down as the Air throttles or shuts down one of the CPU cores to reduce heat.Owners who haven't yet installed QuickTime 7.4 may experience jittery video in Photo Booth.Some speakers and other audio devices may not fit the headphone jack due to the small space afforded by the swivel-out port hatch.Lastly, the user guide (PDF) notes that the system's mono speaker is hidden underneath the keyboard, and that the display should not be opened past 125 degrees.
post #2 of 72
I have been a defender of the MacBook Air, but after reading this article, I'm a bit disappointed about some of Apple's decisions. For them to repeat a mistake, such as not fully supporting all 3.5mm audio jacks (as was the case with the iPhone, as well), is such a shame. A slightly different shape of the flip-out ports would've avoided that.

Does the first-generation iPod shuffle fit into the USB port?

Introducing new keystrokes to do tasks that have been consistent on all modern Macs until now is a bit worrisome.

Shutting down a CPU core due to heat issues... another tradeoff of form over function.

We'll see how this plays out.
post #3 of 72
Quote:
Does the first-generation iPod shuffle fit into the USB port?

Hmm, you never seen a first-generation shuffle before? My sis has one and it fits into a USB port.

Like I said the MBA is form over function. Those who thinks want to do stuffs that requires high pc usage should forget about the MBA and go for the MB or MBP. If this is the drawback of being ultra thin, I dont mind the MB or MBP become thinner (the only way I can see them being thinner and not comprimise in function is by apple using LED screen for MB or MBP)
Apple is a hardware company, dont believe me? Read this Article!. For those who understand my message, help me spread this info to those who dont get it.
Reply
Apple is a hardware company, dont believe me? Read this Article!. For those who understand my message, help me spread this info to those who dont get it.
Reply
post #4 of 72
I own the USB shuffle. It never fit into the eMac USB ports, which was a widely-reported issue, and the MacBook Air has restricted space around the USB port, so I was wondering if the same applied to it.
post #5 of 72
sounds to me like its a lot of trouble for this "thinness"....

is it worth it???

i am beginning to think its no longer worth it. It is more like a toy laptop than a work laptop...

dont get me wrong, i think its an awesome product.. but its not for working...
post #6 of 72
Dont mind the battery, cause i dont use it more than 2 hours.. but all this restriction about usage is really off-putting..
post #7 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolfactor View Post

Introducing new keystrokes to do tasks that have been consistent on all modern Macs until now is a bit worrisome.

Shutting down a CPU core due to heat issues... another tradeoff of form over function.

Who resets the SMC often enough to REMEMBER the old key command? I've never done it in my life. If fact, the change with the Air is a change for the better: now it's only a key command, not a key command plus removal of the battery.

As for the heat response--it's not a tradeoff if it happens only in very hot environments. It's likely a rare response. ANY laptop would benefit from some defensive cooling in that case. Shutting down one core in that case is a feature, not a trade-off. Just because something has a tech note doesn't mean it's a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolfactor View Post

Like I said the MBA is form over function. Those who thinks want to do stuffs that requires high pc usage should forget about the MBA and go for the MB or MBP. If this is the drawback of being ultra thin, I dont mind the MB or MBP become thinner (the only way I can see them being thinner and not comprimise in function is by apple using LED screen for MB or MBP)


Really the Air is function-over-function. ALL Macs are pretty nice in the "form" department Air offers portability and speed instead of portability and lots of ports (like the competition) or instead of all 3 (like a larger notebook).

And I do mean speed: the Air has CPU performance in the same league as a many dual-G5 towers. The tiny HD will load a bit slower, but 2 GB RAM is enough to keep the HD from running constantly. Dual 1.6 Ghz 64-bit Intel Core 2 processors is nothing to sneeze at. Most Macs out there working away in the world are slower than that. The Air is the slowest Mac now sold--but they don't make any slow Macs!

Some people certainly need more (speed or ports) and sometimes carrying an external hub will do the job, sometimes not. Some people will therefore want a different MacBook. Some people want even MORE speed and need a Mac Pro tower. But I use my Mac for a lot of high-end tasks, and 1.6 Ghz dual cores with 2GB RAM is all I need. I'll even run some 3D games, at reduced detail.

The MacBook Air's lost ports don't necessarily subtract any function. There's really just two things you can't get done at all with the Air's limited ports: you can't connect a high-speed RAID at full speed and you can't get footage off of a DV camcorder without using another computer to transfer. That's it. Everything else you can do via the USB port (hubs are cheap) or--better yet--wirelessly. If you need to carry a ton of peripherals everywhere you go, then adding 2 more (hub and optical drive) is the least of your worries: your computing is never going to be ultraportable.

There are still people who cannot do what they need to do with an Air. (And a lot more who THINK they can't--and will never be happy with any brand of ultraportable--obsessed as they are with spec lists.) They are the minority, since most Macs (and PCs) out there have less power than an Air, and people are obviously getting done what they need. But the Air is not enough for some power-users and gamers. For others, a constant need for many peripherals adds inconvenience. Stick with a MacBook Pro. No question.

But for the rest of us... the Air's trade-off, really, is price vs. portability. If the portability is not worth hundreds to you, then grab a regular MacBook. Ultraportables are just one small segment of the notebook market, and you're not in it.

I am in it, and I'm not alone--that's why ultraportables existed even before Apple joined the market. That level of portability IS worth hundreds to me. (Especially since the Air costs less than many slower Windows ultraportables with smaller screens yet larger by volume.)

If you're like me, be glad that Apple now has an option for you! If you're not the market, don't lose sleep over it: there are other MacBooks for you.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ros3ntan View Post

dont get me wrong, i think its an awesome product.. but its not for working...

It's got plenty of power for "working:" I'll be using it for 3D modeling, Photoshop, Flash, app development (Mac and Windows), office productivity, etc.--all things that I've done on machines slower than dual-1.6 Core 2s. As have many others. And even on my (slightly-faster) desktop iMac, I "only" have 2GB. It's plenty for most "work." In some cases 4GB is nice, but it's hardly a common requirement.

PS: I assumed I'd get the Ethernet dongle and the SuperDrive. Then I realized I haven't used the optical drive or wired network with my current laptop in over a year! Guess I'll save some money instead. All these "limitations" may not sound like much if you really stop and think how often you really DO the things that are limited. If they're the exception, as with me, then the limitations may well be more than worth it. Enjoy the portability the rest of the time! No subnotebook is without compromises. If Apple released something like Sony's, we'd be moaning about the tiny screen, cramped keyboard/trackpad, and slow performance. Apple simple picked different compromises.

And the port hatch isn't arbitrary: it lets the Air be tapered to nothing at ALL edges. That's a part of its small volume and easy portability. If a certain USB device is too bulky, that's nothing new: plenty of other laptops have needed short extenders for that reason. Bulky USB devices often come with the extender in the box for that very reason. I like the extender anyway: I don't want a rigidly-attached box sticking out of my USB port waiting to be broken.
post #8 of 72
None of these are surprising, in fact most of that should be expected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Reply
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Reply
post #9 of 72
More and more I think this is a toy for the the style over substance type.....

Not for me. Give me a loaded black MacBook any day!
post #10 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by riversky View Post

More and more I think this is a toy for the the style over substance type.....

Not for me. Give me a loaded black MacBook any day!

Subtle but ingenious. Two thumbs up!
post #11 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelhot View Post

Hmm, you never seen a first-generation shuffle before? My sis has one and it fits into a USB port.

I think you misread the post. He'saware of teh 1st gen Shuffle's USB plug. He's also aware that the MBA's USB port is very cramped, hence his question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Who resets the SMC often enough to REMEMBER the old key command? I've never done it in my life. If fact, the change with the Air is a change for the better: now it's only a key command, not a key command plus removal of the battery. <snip>

Nice post. It's unfortunate that I've heard Macs users calling the MBA "too slow" while they are still using their antiquated PPC Macs. Is there any 3lb. notebook that even comes close to the MBA's performance? I haven't seen any.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #12 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecking View Post

None of these are surprising, in fact most of that should be expected.

Maybe someone with more than passing knowledge about PC would expect that, I know I saw a whole hornets nest of issues with the AIR and have been saying so since. The problem is not everybody has the background to evaluate something on technical terms and are often lead astray by Apple marketing. In this case it wouldn't have been to difficult for Apple to be up front with respect to the performance limitations of the product. In the end it would prevent the coming lawsuits that some idiot will use to make up for his ignorance.

The AIR biggest problem is that it is a bundle of compromises and as such one needs to be careful when buying as there is a high likely hood it might not meet your needs. It is not a single compromise that is the trouble causer here but rather the sum total of all the limitations. $1700 is a lot of money to throw out for something so marginal.

Dave
post #13 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by riversky View Post

More and more I think this is a toy for the the style over substance type.....

Not for me. Give me a loaded black MacBook any day!

Nice hand =)
post #14 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Maybe someone with more than passing knowledge about PC would expect that, I know I saw a whole hornets nest of issues with the AIR and have been saying so since. The problem is not everybody has the background to evaluate something on technical terms and are often lead astray by Apple marketing. In this case it wouldn't have been to difficult for Apple to be up front with respect to the performance limitations of the product. In the end it would prevent the coming lawsuits that some idiot will use to make up for his ignorance.

The AIR biggest problem is that it is a bundle of compromises and as such one needs to be careful when buying as there is a high likely hood it might not meet your needs. It is not a single compromise that is the trouble causer here but rather the sum total of all the limitations. $1700 is a lot of money to throw out for something so marginal.

Dave

It's common knowledge that smaller computer tech offers less performance and costs more, just as it's common knowledge that computer tech get more powerful, smaller and less expensive as time goes by.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #15 of 72
This story is one big "yawn" if you're in the market for something like the MBA.

You are required to use WPA rather than WEP? "...tricks for resetting the SMC and installing Boot Camp" or "....users have to issue a unique keyboard and power button combination blah blah" are problematic? So, ".....neither Windows XP nor Vista can recognize anything but a USB drive on the MacBook Air"? ".....mono speaker is hidden underneath the keyboard, and that the display should not be opened past 125 degrees."

This is such "inside baseball" esoterica for most MBA buyers.
post #16 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by riversky View Post

More and more I think this is a toy for the the style over substance type.....

Not for me. Give me a loaded black MacBook any day!

What is the substance in this story for most typical Mac users?

And, I suppose a white Macbook does not pass muster with your style considerations?
post #17 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

What is the substance in this story for most typical Mac users?

And, I suppose a white Macbook does not pass muster with your style considerations?

I think he was joking with inclusion of "black MacBook".
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #18 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

In this case it wouldn't have been to difficult for Apple to be up front with respect to the performance limitations of the product.

What "performance limitations" has Apple not been up front about? Nearly everything we know about the Air, including the items in this article, comes from Apple. Including the speed of the CPU: 1.6 or 1.8.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

The AIR biggest problem is that it is a bundle of compromises and as such one needs to be careful when buying as there is a high likely hood it might not meet your needs.

That is indeed what an ultraportable is. You buy it for portability, and that has always been a trade-off.

Some people may think Apple should not offer any model for people who want an ultraportable. Why not? I want an ultraportable, and I'm glad Apple now has an option for me.

It's like saying there's a high probability that a 17" MacBook Pro is not the best choice for you. Does that mean Apple shouldn't offer such a model to anyone?
post #19 of 72
Again if you don't like it, don't buy it, some of us like it the way it is and will be getting one, we don't need to hear your constant complaining about it.
post #20 of 72
2GB of RAM is too slow?

Honestly, it was about 2 years ago that 512 was the norm. Heck I thought that was a good amount of speed at the time. I would use my PC to render 3D and film footage at a good speed, and this computer wasn't even a dual. It's funny to me that people think that dual 2GB or RAM is enough for emailing, browsing the web, or listening at music while writing a paper on word.
post #21 of 72
I think this iteration of the laptop is probably going to mostly be used by a lot of road warriors and people that want to be seen with it, as with any first generation Mac product.

Apple is still fixing and adapting iPhone technology as more people use it.

But I swear to God Apple, pick a connector and stick with it. If I hear about another version of a connector that's introduced on a machine I'm going to scream.



Quote:
Originally Posted by ros3ntan View Post

sounds to me like its a lot of trouble for this "thinness"....

is it worth it???

i am beginning to think its no longer worth it. It is more like a toy laptop than a work laptop...

dont get me wrong, i think its an awesome product.. but its not for working...
post #22 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Maybe someone with more than passing knowledge about PC would expect that, I know I saw a whole hornets nest of issues with the AIR and have been saying so since. The problem is not everybody has the background to evaluate something on technical terms and are often lead astray by Apple marketing. In this case it wouldn't have been to difficult for Apple to be up front with respect to the performance limitations of the product. In the end it would prevent the coming lawsuits that some idiot will use to make up for his ignorance.

The AIR biggest problem is that it is a bundle of compromises and as such one needs to be careful when buying as there is a high likely hood it might not meet your needs. It is not a single compromise that is the trouble causer here but rather the sum total of all the limitations. $1700 is a lot of money to throw out for something so marginal.

Dave

Where's the substance? What insight beyond what is currently being discussed does a PC-related background give a person? nagromme's reply, in my eyes, was comprehensive and extremely well written. I especially love the part about people with old computers criticizing the MBA's ability to do the things they currently due do its 'poor specifications'.

I am a graphics and web designer and, unhappy with the progression of the Mac Pro (waiting for the magic release), and needing to upgrade from my old PowerMac tower, I decided to get the Mac Mini. When it came out I was astonished to see a dual-core processor and a decent FSB speed inside such a small and affordable computer. I maxed out the RAM and purchased a LaCie add-on for extra hard drive space, speed, and ports. It has served me well (poor thing works to death with the integrated video) and it has served its purpose. I ordered myself an octo-core Mac Pro @3.2GHz just recently and that beast is going to serve me for many years.

The MacBook Air would thoroughly trounce the Mac Mini I'm using right now, and would even more thoroughly trounce the old PowerMac. I wonder how it would hold up against my Macbook with a Core Duo in it. Probably quite decently, I imagine. I've been able to get my work done on all of these computers, though, and for portable processing I do not need the level of power afforded by a Mac Pro, even in Photoshop, Illustrator, or any other similar program.

The MacBook Air would do that work very nicely. The size, though. That would be a very real concern! If you are lugging a computer around all day 3lbs can make a pretty huge difference, especially depending on your body. And now ditch my scenario and imagine the typical business user -- someone who uses their computer for productivity applications, email, and internet. The MacBook Air is sexy fast for this person and will remain every bit as fast for years and years down the road. For this person, always flinging their laptop around, always using it, there are far more important concerns than a spec sheet.

I love listening to all these power users talk about how much they dislike the MBA when it wasn't even made for them. It is made for a person who travels, doesn't need to do the sort of high-end rendering or scientific calculation that justifies a larger machine, and doesn't need a whole bunch of ports for different peripherals, and to them this release is a blessing.

Maybe people are actually upset that Santa didn't give them what they wanted?

A revised laptop lineup? New Macbooks? Macbook Pros?

:P

Back to you, Dave, elaborate on your view? What additional issues do they need to worry about?
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone that can do him absolutely no good.
  Samuel Johnson
Reply
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone that can do him absolutely no good.
  Samuel Johnson
Reply
post #23 of 72
Apple produces it, Stevie Boy sells it, and the lemmings buy it.

No thinking different with this crowd.
post #24 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post

Apple produces it, Stevie Boy sells it, and the lemmings buy it.

No thinking different with this crowd.

Your first post Welcome! I'm sure the energy you spent registering will work wonders in convincing mobile Mac users that they have no need for a MacBook Air. Thanks for the insights.
post #25 of 72
A lot of would-be MBA owners are currently making assumptions about how well or how bad it will perform and how much, or how little, trouble will be associated with its use. Eventually, it's all just assumptions. Let these people work with their new 1800$ (1930$ if you get the dongle and drive) toys for a month or two and we'll see what the problems really are.
Matyoroy!
Reply
Matyoroy!
Reply
post #26 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post

Apple produces it, Stevie Boy sells it, and the lemmings buy it.

No thinking different with this crowd.

Lemming? Where? You?
Windows Development Team Motto: We are not happy until YOU are not happy
Reply
Windows Development Team Motto: We are not happy until YOU are not happy
Reply
post #27 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Your first post Welcome! I'm sure the energy you spent registering will work wonders in convincing mobile Mac users that they have no need for a MacBook Air. Thanks for the insights.


I could always just live online like some and be a serial apologist for Apple, however, I choose to do something unique to this particular thread. I think for myself. The MBA is nice but hardly revolutionary. At the end of the day it is a small, thin laptop that has almost zero peripheral support, an almost non-existant battery replacement facility, no optical drive included, and did I mention extremely expensive (depends on the version). See I am not under the illusion that Apple is my friend and that Stevie Boy is my best drinking buddy. Apple is a corporation who's loyalty lies solely with the investors. Apple is not doing any of us favors for free. We consumers are a means to an end. Nothing more, nothing less.

Anantksundaram and Wizard69 seem to have an understanding and are not easy prey for slick marketing. Apple never had to sell fluff to make a good product but it seems that they are taking the quick and easy route. Can you say M$?
post #28 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-News View Post

A lot of would-be MBA owners are currently making assumptions about how well or how bad it will perform and how much, or how little, trouble will be associated with its use. Eventually, it's all just assumptions. Let these people work with their new 1800$ (1930$ if you get the dongle and drive) toys for a month or two and we'll see what the problems really are.


Excellent !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #29 of 72
Yes it's a toy alright and we'll be playing with our toy for a long time, too bad you ain't getting one.
post #30 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

Yes it's a toy alright and we'll be playing with our toy for a long time, too bad you ain't getting one.

My vote for most useless post of this thread, however I will defend your right to say it.
post #31 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post

My vote for most useless post of this thread, however I will defend your right to say it.

And I vote for you being the most useless poster who created an account to complain about something he will never have, sounds like your jealous.
post #32 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I think he was joking with inclusion of "black MacBook".

I know. I think I was in a crabb(pp)y mood.

post #33 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

And I vote for you being the most useless poster who created an account to complain about something he will never have, sounds like your jealous.

I hope you mean this as an indication of my purchase preferences rather than a perceived indication of my financial status. See, I can pretty much buy whatever I desire. The difference between you and me is that have enough common sense to know the difference between following the crowd and thinking for myself. Once you gain this insight, then I might, just might have something to be jealous about. Until then you maintain your lemming status.

Now go back into your mom's basement and leave the thinking to the adults. I will admit, you are entertaining.
post #34 of 72
There is nothing wrong with being a Lemming!!!
Blind devotion to a company that has consistently put out the best hardware on the market in the respective categories is Noble. Ever since Bill Gates "borrowed" the Windows design from Apple, Apple has been devoted to providing the highest quality products. As a result of their success and huge growth, they may have been too busy to provide the same quality we have used to in the past, but rest assured it will return. Obviously some of you bashers have never even tried an Apple product or put on a pair of jeans and a mock turtle!
post #35 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacLemming View Post

There is nothing wrong with being a Lemming!!!
Blind devotion to a company that has consistently put out the best hardware on the market in the respective categories is Noble. Ever since Bill Gates "borrowed" the Windows design from Apple, Apple has been devoted to providing the highest quality products. As a result of their success and huge growth, they may have been too busy to provide the same quality we have used to in the past, but rest assured it will return. Obviously some of you bashers have never even tried an Apple product or put on a pair of jeans and a mock turtle!

Best post this thread. Funny as hell too.

I agree with you. Apple has consistently put out good products. Some great ones, and some outstanding ones. In my opinion as a multiple year, multiple product user, I think Apple bailed and went for the easy way, and are willing to market the hell out of an "Ok. Not revolutionary product" The MBA is evolutionary for sure. It is the way of things to come but to see this as market shaking, well..... far from it.

Mock turtle. Nice one dude.
post #36 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post

I hope you mean this as an indication of my purchase preferences rather than a perceived indication of my financial status. See, I can pretty much buy whatever I desire. The difference between you and me is that have enough common sense to know the difference between following the crowd and thinking for myself. Once you gain this insight, then I might, just might have something to be jealous about. Until then you maintain your lemming status.

Now go back into your mom's basement and leave the thinking to the adults. I will admit, you are entertaining.

Yes and I'm the one joining forums to bash one particular product.
post #37 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post

Best post this thread. Funny as hell too.

I agree with you. Apple has consistently put out good products. Some great ones, and some outstanding ones. In my opinion as a multiple year, multiple product user, I think Apple bailed and went for the easy way, and are willing to market the hell out of an "Ok. Not revolutionary product" The MBA is evolutionary for sure. It is the way of things to come but to see this as market shaking, well..... far from it.

Mock turtle. Nice one dude.

Your parroting the same jibber jabber I've been reading since the MBA debuted. For example, your, "evolutionary, not revolutionary" comment. Did you seriously decide to post on this forum just to call anyone who fits the MBA demographic an Apple apologist? By the way, that is another oft repeated term by anti-Apple drones.

It escapes me why this product is being attacked so much just because it doesn't fit that person's needs. There is no UMPC or 17" greater notebook that will ever fit my needs but I'm not bashing them just because I'm not the target consumer for those products. So why all negativity and anger here?

Except for the ability to extend the battery life to 8 or more hours I am the perfect candidate for the MBA. I never use an optical drive, I only ever use WiFi, only ever use 1 USB port at a time, and all I need highly portable computer for watching videos and the of reading webpages while traveling. I'm okay with you not buying one, and you should try to be ok if others do.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #38 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

Yes and I'm the one joining forums to bash one particular product.

One last go, and I defer the last word to you.

You see anyone that is not willing to run out and spend a couple thousand dollars on a crippled product as bashing Apple. The Marketing guys at Apple have to love people like you. No matter what they throw at the wall (i.e. people such as you) it will stick, and the Apple zealots will go forth and do the bidding of Lord Jobs. Well, I hate to tell you, the MBA is not innovative other than its size and this is something that other manufactures are in the process of developing (with some already having done so).

You lack of understanding in this area shows a complete lack of maturity or understand, but a willingness to throw your money down on anything Apple puts out. For this, I thank you as my share prices are doing much better. I say, BUY MORE APPLE. Anyway, I digress. Criticizing Apple is the only way that they will develop better products, better services, and evolve into a better company. As I said before, Apple is not your friend and Steve Jobs is not your buddy. He and Apple are only loyal to the investors, the bottom line and the dollar. Your satisfaction is simply a by-product of this. If you are happy goodie, if not, oh well. If it were up to you and your thought process the current bug that has surfaced in the iPhone would be considered a feature by your standards, but to normal folks this is something that Apple must fix, and due to public outcry, Apple acknowledged the bug and is in the process of fixing it. Would you consider these people bashers or disappointed customers?

Anyway, you can have the last word here in public, but if you wish to continue, please do so via PM.
post #39 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Your parroting the same jibber jabber I've been reading since the MBA debuted. For example, your, "evolutionary, not revolutionary" comment. Did you seriously decide to post on this forum just to call anyone who fits the MBA demographic an Apple apologist? By the way, that is another oft repeated term by anti-Apple drones.

It escapes me why this product is being attacked so much just because it doesn't fit that person's needs. There is no UMPC or 17" greater notebook that will ever fit my needs but I'm not bashing them just because I'm not the target consumer for those products. So why all negativity and anger here?

Except for the ability to extend the battery life to 8 or more hours I am the perfect candidate for the MBA. I never use an optical drive, I only ever use WiFi, and I need for watching videos and the of reading webpages while traveling. I'm okay with you not buying one, and you should be ok with others if they do.

I am not against the market that it is targeted but rather the fact that this seriously crippled (my opinion) device is being haled as the greatest thing since sliced bread. It isn't. However, it is for you and your needs and this no one can deny or disapprove and I would not attempt to tell you what you do and not need. If my comments offended you in any way, take heart they were not intended to. I am quite sure you will get your milage out of the MBA, nor do you appear to be a "cliff jumper".
post #40 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post

I could always just live online like some and be a serial apologist for Apple, however, I choose to do something unique to this particular thread. I think for myself. The MBA is nice but hardly revolutionary. At the end of the day it is a small, thin laptop that has almost zero peripheral support, an almost non-existant battery replacement facility, no optical drive included, and did I mention extremely expensive (depends on the version). See I am not under the illusion that Apple is my friend and that Stevie Boy is my best drinking buddy. Apple is a corporation who's loyalty lies solely with the investors. Apple is not doing any of us favors for free. We consumers are a means to an end. Nothing more, nothing less.

Anantksundaram and Wizard69 seem to have an understanding and are not easy prey for slick marketing. Apple never had to sell fluff to make a good product but it seems that they are taking the quick and easy route. Can you say M$?

You sound like some stock analyst or who doesn't do his research. All your statements are complete BS and you can't back them up with fact. Anybody could tear your statements apart in 5 seconds.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple's MacBook Air support docs reveal one-of-a-kind solutions