or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › iTunes usage overtakes RealPlayer for the first time

iTunes usage overtakes RealPlayer for the first time

post #1 of 38
Although often considered the de facto choice for music sales, Apple's iTunes media player has just recently surpassed RealPlayer and is now second only to Microsoft's Windows Media Player for streaming media.

Website Optimization cites new research from Nielsen Online that shows the Apple software crossing the threshold in April 2007 and maintaining a near-total advantage over RealPlayer up to the most recent survey in December, which showed almost 35.7 million unique iTunes users versus Real's 27.6 million.

Microsoft's Windows Media Player, which comes bundled with most editions of the stronger-selling Windows operating system, remained the dominant software with nearly 75.9 million users.

But iTunes alone showed any consistent growth, according to the Nielsen results. The jukebox program's overall user base grew by 26.8 percent between December 2006 and December 2007 while all others slowed or reversed course. RealPlayer's use dropped by 17.5 percent, while Windows Media Player was "essentially flat" throughout all of 2007 and slipped by 58,000 users, or less than one percent.

Even Apple's own QuickTime software, which forms the backbone of iTunes' music and video playback, saw its usage for streaming media drop by 8.6 percent over the same timeframe.

A report in early 2007 accurately predicted that Apple's move to second place would occur by mid-2007 but followed an earlier study from a year before which prematurely suggested the changeover would take place in mid-2006. In practice, iTunes traffic grew only modestly until a spike during the holidays -- likely triggered by iPod sales -- put the software within reach of RealPlayer's user share.
post #2 of 38
Apple should add small unobtrusive ads a la google adwords to iTunes and use that as a new revenue stream. Thin of the millions of users out there, a small tiny couple words ad somewhere on the side could make alotta dough for the company.
post #3 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdotdubz View Post

Apple should add small unobtrusive ads a la google adwords to iTunes and use that as a new revenue stream. Thin of the millions of users out there, a small tiny couple words ad somewhere on the side could make alotta dough for the company.

I don't see that happening...

Just like there is no "Intel Inside" sticker on Apple laptops, this too will never happen. SJ is obsessed with aesthetics than ad revenue off iTunes or anything else produced by Apple.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

post #4 of 38
What about Adobe Flash? With the like of YouTube, Flash seems to have obliterated all other solutions for streaming video.
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
post #5 of 38
RealPlayer? Do people still use that piece of s***?
post #6 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton View Post

I've always found the OS X version of RealPlayer to be not bad.

The OS 9 version really was truly awful, and the Windows version was (still is?) the nastiest piece of control-freak, spyware-ridden crap ever. And the way they try to trick people into getting a paid version over the free version by making the free version almost impossible to find is despicable.
post #7 of 38
Winamp FTW!
post #8 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton View Post

I was wondering the same thing
post #9 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

What about Adobe Flash? With the like of YouTube, Flash seems to have obliterated all other solutions for streaming video.

FTA: "...for streaming media." YouTube and/or Flash aren't streaming media. Specifically, this is the "Radio" Library in iTunes.

And YouTube has converted its content away from the craptacular Flash video format.

Note to Adobe: Just because you can use every available CPU cycle doesn't mean you should.

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

post #10 of 38
I didn't know Real was still in business
Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous Communist plot we have ever had to face? - Jack D. Ripper
Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous Communist plot we have ever had to face? - Jack D. Ripper
post #11 of 38
Quote:

No, that would just make me drop iTunes. What is with this idea that if a lot of people use something we automatically need to add advertising to it somehow. It's not a requirement that a business make a direct revenue stream off everything they put out. \

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton

I have some software installed that lets me play Realplayer files without using Realplayer itself. I don't think it's legally kosher, but I'm not installing Real's spyware player.
post #12 of 38
RealPlayer 11 will automatically download Flash video. It works rather well.
post #13 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaFox View Post

No, that would just make me drop iTunes. What is with this idea that if a lot of people use something we automatically need to add advertising to it somehow. It's not a requirement that a business make a direct revenue stream off everything they put out. \

I have some software installed that lets me play Realplayer files without using Realplayer itself. I don't think it's legally kosher, but I'm not installing Real's spyware player.

umm... they added little ads to YouTube and nobody is complaining. If a small ad somewhere in iTunes where you wouldn't even look make u stop using iTunes, then you plain and simple are retarded. AppleInsider has lil google adwords and it doesn't stop you from posting here now does it!

Anything to add revenue would be great. Small ads wouldn't ruin the aesthetics of iTunes. \
post #14 of 38
It hasn't even overtaken Mediaplayer!
post #15 of 38
Quote:

... you plain and simple are retarded. AppleInsider has lil google adwords and it doesn't stop you from posting here now does it!

Anything to add revenue would be great. Small ads wouldn't ruin the aesthetics of iTunes. \

I love your choice of words. Really do. I mean can you BE any more impolite ? You obviously do not have handicapped people in your family or within your group of friends (that is if you have any) - else you would not use such a derogative term

And why on earth wold we need more ads to the detriment of our privacy - as one thing stands clear - your iTunes knows who you are and what you shop for in terms of audio/visual content. So yeah - yippieh - lets all give up our privacy so that a company can make more money.
You seem to be missing the point anyway - the difference between YouTube, AI and iTunes is that sooner or later you end up paying for/in the latter one be it through direct purchases or indirect purchases (aka iPod).
post #16 of 38
I see Apple in more need of not pissing off users than trying to make teeny bits of revenue from ads in iTunes.

As for adding little ads to YouTube ... go figure, it's an entirely different business, and one that's owned by a rather large advertising agency
post #17 of 38
TO THE ADMINS: great news, but which final percentage has each application? Thanks for the good work.
post #18 of 38
Quote:

umm... they added little ads to YouTube and nobody is complaining. If a small ad somewhere in iTunes where you wouldn't even look make u stop using iTunes, then you plain and simple are retarded. AppleInsider has lil google adwords and it doesn't stop you from posting here now does it!

It's not about the aesthetics. It's about the difference between my own personal computer and the internet. YouTube, AppleInsider, those are websites, not programs on my own machine. Would you wear any t-shirt with a big corporate logo on the front, as long as it's free?

A whole bunch of people use iTunes, that's cool. But you're just looking at it as yet another place to advertise. Does the concept of "maybe there should be some places free of marketing" ever occur to you?
post #19 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Note to Adobe: Just because you can use every available CPU cycle doesn't mean you should.

post #20 of 38
Quote:

IA whole bunch of people use iTunes, that's cool. But you're just looking at it as yet another place to advertise. Does the concept of "maybe there should be some places free of marketing" ever occur to you?

Probably not - mdotdubz most likely was a good lemming and bought stock at 180$ a pop and now fears the margin call of his bank
post #21 of 38
Quote:

We don't need more advertising, we need less advertising in this over-advertised world. One of the reasons of success of Apple is that they reduce the clutter in our everyday lives. "Small unobtrusive ads" introduce unnecessary clutter again through the backdoor.
post #22 of 38
"for streaming media."

Maybe the reason why it "took so long" is that iTunes generally isn't used for streaming media.
post #23 of 38
Quote:

I often wonder if Apple might not have been smart to buy Macromedia before Adobe did just to get Flash folded into their mix.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Long on AAPL so biased
post #24 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I often wonder if Apple might not have been smart to buy Macromedia before Adobe did just to get Flash folded into their mix.

I imagine that Apple's board seriously considered purchasing Macromedia. I guess they just didn't want to piss off Adobe. Maybe Apple harbour ambitions to purchase Adobe?
post #25 of 38
Quote:

I imagine that Apple's board seriously considered purchasing Macromedia. I guess they just didn't want to piss off Adobe. Maybe Apple harbour ambitions to purchase Adobe?

Wow! Now that I had never thought of ... that would be interesting. I would imagine someone would scream monopoly though.

I love the idea though ... Press Release "CS4 versions now available for Mac. Windows will be due next year with some features missing"

p.s. Mr Language Police ... please add to your footer that "I could care less" means I do care ... lol
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #26 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

p.s. Mr Language Police ... please add to your footer that "I could care less" means I do care ... lol

I have been considering this for a while.

Edit: It would appear that there isn't enough room to add that. There's a 240 character limit to signatures.
post #27 of 38
I think apple will buy macromedia and adobe and stick its thumb in the eye of mfst by making it Mac only, LOL...

I would love to see Apple adopt a platform which allows free music and tv shows supported by short ads or tiny flash pop-ups (a la youtube) or something similar before it starts playing..... I would rather deal with a 5 secnd ad or tiny pop-up than pay money! :0) well maybe it won't happen with music, but I can see it happening with tv shows...

Those that want to keep the episode can buy it, those that want to just watch an episode (kind of like renting a movie) can get the free version from iTunes. I can see the free content expiring after a week or so, much like the rentals expire after a day. Btw, I think the rentals should expire after 48 hrs. I rented Pirates of the Caribbean and fell asleep and was unable to see the ending the following day :0(
post #28 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by freelander51 View Post

Probably not - mdotdubz most likely was a good lemming and bought stock at 180$ a pop and now fears the margin call of his bank

actually I bought close to 200 shares at 60 and 70 way before the iPhone was announced. I recently bought some more at 130. Made a small fortune between that an my investment in MasterCard. :0p

Btw, I never buy on margin.

So, yea, I am a good lemming. :0) I plan on owning at least a 1000 shares before it hits $300. I'm a young guy, so I wish I bought when it was at $15, but at that time I was more concerned with HS and buying an iPod than AAPL shares...
post #29 of 38
Which websites stream video via iTunes? The only streams I know in iTunes are radio and now video rentals. Doesn't Quicktime stream media not iTunes? Can somebody please clarify- thank you.
post #30 of 38
Has iTunes started supporting rtsp and rtp streaming ???

I thought it only supported http so you still had to use Real or Quicktime Player.
post #31 of 38
Quote:

I would love to see Apple adopt a platform which allows free music and tv shows supported by short ads or tiny flash pop-ups (a la youtube) or something similar before it starts playing..... I would rather deal with a 5 secnd ad or tiny pop-up than pay money! :0) well maybe it won't happen with music, but I can see it happening with tv shows...

Apple does, its called podcasts. I download several video and audio podcasts daily. Some are ad supported and some are not. If a content provider wants to do this today the tools are in place to do so using the RSS feed. Being an open standard the user isn't even locked into a particular viewer/reader.
What goes online stays online. What is online will become public.
What goes online stays online. What is online will become public.
post #32 of 38
Thank god. Damnit I hate real player, I remember having to put up with so much crap from the in the 90s.
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Quote:

post #33 of 38
Quote:

Two things:

1. This is what ruins apps and why real player was beat by itunes.

2. This is exactly what companies want to hear, you should work for a firm making lots of money to ruin the apps we love.
Quote:

Quote:

post #34 of 38
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecking View Post

Two things:

1. This is what ruins apps and why real player was beat by itunes.

2. This is exactly what companies want to hear, you should work for a firm making lots of money to ruin the apps we love.

#1 Appla could compete with Cable if they became a content provider where for a small monthly fee, one can have unlimited "rentals" of TV shows (and movies courtesy of premium networks like HBO) that are ad-supported. This would keep the cost low to the consumer, but provide them with on-demand entertainment on whichever device they choose: iPod, AppleTV, iMac, PC, u name it... imagine the possiblities! Thats what I was trying to say in a general sense.

#2... maybe i should! I have been ridiculed in other places when i said Multi-Touch is the future, or that an iPhone would come out, and even about iTunes rentals (except I expected the free TV shows supported by ads, lol). Now who's laughing? Me, first for being right, and second laughing all the way to the bank watching my investments skyrocket!

post #35 of 38
Quote:

Yep. For other WINDOWS USERS that need to play real player files that don't want to install real players, You need to install 2 things:

1) Real Alternative - this is a codec pack for the real company formats
see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_Alternative

2) Media Player Classic - this is a modern media player that is made to resemble the older, lighter, windows media player before MS bloated it to hell.
see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_Player_Classic

I'm not sure about OSX, but I'm pretty sure they both work with Linux too.
post #36 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

I was wondering the same thing

Actually, i've never used itunes for streaming media. I've used it for music but never for videos. There are a lot of people like me.
post #37 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

"for streaming media."

Maybe the reason why it "took so long" is that iTunes generally isn't used for streaming media.

Excellent point. People here assume because itunes is used for music by majority, it's used for streaming media.. they forget that a lot of websites still encode their video in realplayer.
post #38 of 38
Quote:

and now that flash supports H.264 as a codex. we can hopefully move towards cross platform streaming standards that's not owned, by M$, Adobe or even Apple.
TD
TD
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › iTunes usage overtakes RealPlayer for the first time