or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Ideas for Future Macs
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ideas for Future Macs

post #1 of 77
Thread Starter 
A lot of people want a new Mac that's futuristic and absolutely tricked-out (whatever that means). Well, here's your chance to say what you want for Christmahanukwanzakas.

Let's get started...

Apple should definitely design a "cube" computer that's extremely modular. So modular, in fact, that you can actually purchase new modules and attach them to a special connector on the base unit. No hub would be necessary, because every module has a connector on it. Remember daisy chains? Well, this would be just like that except really high-tech.
Punctuation, please! And don't use "its" when you mean "it's" or "it's" when you mean "its".

Also, please try to differentiate between "to" and "too".
Reply
Punctuation, please! And don't use "its" when you mean "it's" or "it's" when you mean "its".

Also, please try to differentiate between "to" and "too".
Reply
post #2 of 77
i think they should make a small mac just like the one sony has extreme portability and good graphics slide up keyboard maybe or make the screen touch.
post #3 of 77
Quote:
Apple should definitely design a "cube" computer that's extremely modular. So modular, in fact, that you can actually purchase new modules and attach them to a special connector on the base unit. No hub would be necessary, because every module has a connector on it. Remember daisy chains? Well, this would be just like that — except really high-tech.

I assume your module means third party hardwares? Cause if it is, you are welcome to read the following comments, if not then you can skip it.

Well here is my tought, as much as we would love to make our own tricked out Mac. We would have to face that in the future, Apple will end up like MSoft. From my opinion, the reason why Vista is having a lot of problems is because of hardware incompatibility. A lot of old hardwares cant be used and MSoft would have real lots of problem making drivers for all those old hardwares.

Apple on the other hand would be able to control the age of their products with new OS (eg: your 4 years old Mac can run Leopard). Why? Cause they have absolute control over their hardware specs. Meaning they can actually test to know the exact minimum spec for Leopard to run and if any hardware related problem were to occur, Apple would be able to fix the problem ASAP and of coarse this means a more stable Leopard or future OSes.
Apple is a hardware company, dont believe me? Read this Article!. For those who understand my message, help me spread this info to those who dont get it.
Reply
Apple is a hardware company, dont believe me? Read this Article!. For those who understand my message, help me spread this info to those who dont get it.
Reply
post #4 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterjeter26 View Post

i think they should make a small mac just like the one sony has extreme portability and good graphics slide up keyboard maybe or make the screen touch.

Pass.
post #5 of 77
Well, you've heard this from me before, but I'm in love with the ultra-wide, super-panoramic screen. Not 16:10 (8:5) or 16:9, but 24:10 (12:5) or 26.67:10 (8:3). Apple can develop a line of ultra-widescreen OS X machines. For photo viewing, movie viewing, and ultraproductivity. Using multiple screens improves usability and producitivity. This is just making those multiple screens into one whole screen. If you hook up 2 of these things, it's like having 4 monitors!

iMac 30" ultra-wide
30" 3200x1200 LCD screen (imagine 2 20" 1600x1200 screens)
2.8 GHz Quad-core Core 2 Duo
2 GB RAM; 4 full sized DIMM slots
256 MB discreet graphics
500 GB; 2 HDD slots for up to 2 TB
USB2/3, Firewire 400/800/3200, Mini-DVI, iSight, SuperDrive
WiFi, Bluetooth, Giga-Ethernet
$2299
Ultimate entertainment and productivity machine

iMac 24" ultra-wide
24" 2400x900 LCD screen
2.4 GHz Quad-core Core 2 Duo
Same everythign else
$1599
Somwhat affordable entertainment and productivity machine (note the 24" 1920x1200 screen has a larger screen)

30" 3200x1200 ultra-wide LCD Monitor
$1299
24" 2400x900 ultra-wide LCD Monitor
$699
For those who have Mac minis, desktops, laptops and need another screen etc. Not the current 24" and 30" screens are larger than these.

Macbook 12" Ultrawide
12" 1280x480 ultra-wide LCD
12" x 5" x 0.75" inch clamshell, 2 lbs
1.8 GHz Silverthorne (2-way SMT!)
1 GB memory (1 SO-DIMM)
Intel integrated graphics
1.8" 60 GB drive
2 USB ports, micro-DVI, audio in/out
HSPA, WiFi, Bluetooth
Full-sized keyboard and the Apple mouse micro-trackball for pointing
$799
For users who are even more mobile than MBA users

iPod touch 6" ultrawide
6" 960x360 multi-touch LCD screen
6" x 2.5" x 0.5" form factor; 0.4 lbs (can slip into a coat/pants pocket)
1.6 GHz Moorestown (2-way SMT!)
512 MB RAM
Intel integrated graphics
32 GB storage
HSPA, WiFi, Bluetooth, GPS
iPod connector, USB connector
Audio/Video out, speaker
$699
Apple's halo MID platform.

iPhone 4" ultrawide
4" 640x240 multi-touch LCD screen
4.4" x 1.8" x 0.5" form factor; 0.3 lbs
600 MHz ARM11
256 MB RAM
16 GB storage
HSPA/EDGE/GPS
$499
For those who want a phone that actually fits in the back pants pocket.

To get back to merely out in left field, compared to ultra-wide foul territory:

Updated 20" and 24" dual/quad-core iMacs would slot into the $1000 and $1799 price points. Apple would update the iPhone to 3.8", 16 GB and HSPA for $399, and come out with a 3" iPhone nano (for those who want a cell phone sized phone, as opposed to smartphone) with 8 GB and EDGE for $249.

The sky is the limit in terms of design. Apple mind as well upgrade the Mac mini to 2 GHz Core 2 Duo while they are at it. And drop the price to $499. And drop the price of an upgraded 20" 16:10 LCD to $399, at least. It's amazing one can't get an entire computer (be it desktop w/monitor, mouse & keyboard or laptop) for something like $800 from them. Apple doesn't sell low end computers.
post #6 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by roostajoe View Post

A lot of people want a new Mac that's futuristic and absolutely tricked-out (whatever that means). Well, here's your chance to say what you want for Christmahanukwanzakas.

Let's get started...

Apple should definitely design a "cube" computer that's extremely modular. So modular, in fact, that you can actually purchase new modules and attach them to a special connector on the base unit. No hub would be necessary, because every module has a connector on it. Remember daisy chains? Well, this would be just like that except really high-tech.

Why would they do this when they can get you to spend all the money at once? The only computers they offer in any sort of modular form are the Mac Pro and Mac Mini, which are also the ones they sell the least of. People are buying iMacs - the very opposite of what you suggest - as quickly as Apple can make them, so where is the pressure for the device you describe?
post #7 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by THT View Post

Well, you've heard this from me before, but I'm in love with the ultra-wide, super-panoramic screen. Not 16:10 (8:5) or 16:9, but 24:10 (12:5) or 26.67:10 (8:3). Apple can develop a line of ultra-widescreen OS X machines. For photo viewing, movie viewing, and ultraproductivity.

The iMac Cinerama!
post #8 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by jouster View Post

Why would they do this when they can get you to spend all the money at once? The only computers they offer in any sort of modular form are the Mac Pro and Mac Mini, which are also the ones they sell the least of. People are buying iMacs - the very opposite of what you suggest - as quickly as Apple can make them, so where is the pressure for the device you describe?


Because Apple doesn't sell a normal desktop only a workstation and a small cripled little laptop without screen .... so what would you buy when you need a "desktop".

The iMac is not the "best" solution - it is only the best of the worst.
post #9 of 77
Quote:
iMac 30" ultra-wide
30" 3200x1200 LCD screen (imagine 2 20" 1600x1200 screens)
2.8 GHz Quad-core Core 2 Duo
2 GB RAM; 4 full sized DIMM slots
256 MB discreet graphics
500 GB; 2 HDD slots for up to 2 TB
USB2/3, Firewire 400/800/3200, Mini-DVI, iSight, SuperDrive
WiFi, Bluetooth, Giga-Ethernet
$2299
Ultimate entertainment and productivity machine

iMac 24" ultra-wide
24" 2400x900 LCD screen
2.4 GHz Quad-core Core 2 Duo
Same everythign else
$1599
Somwhat affordable entertainment and productivity machine (note the 24" 1920x1200 screen has a larger screen)

30" 3200x1200 ultra-wide LCD Monitor
$1299
24" 2400x900 ultra-wide LCD Monitor
$699
For those who have Mac minis, desktops, laptops and need another screen etc. Not the current 24" and 30" screens are larger than these.

Macbook 12" Ultrawide
12" 1280x480 ultra-wide LCD
12" x 5" x 0.75" inch clamshell, 2 lbs
1.8 GHz Silverthorne (2-way SMT!)
1 GB memory (1 SO-DIMM)
Intel integrated graphics
1.8" 60 GB drive
2 USB ports, micro-DVI, audio in/out
HSPA, WiFi, Bluetooth
Full-sized keyboard and the Apple mouse micro-trackball for pointing
$799
For users who are even more mobile than MBA users

iPod touch 6" ultrawide
6" 960x360 multi-touch LCD screen
6" x 2.5" x 0.5" form factor; 0.4 lbs (can slip into a coat/pants pocket)
1.6 GHz Moorestown (2-way SMT!)
512 MB RAM
Intel integrated graphics
32 GB storage
HSPA, WiFi, Bluetooth, GPS
iPod connector, USB connector
Audio/Video out, speaker
$699
Apple's halo MID platform.

iPhone 4" ultrawide
4" 640x240 multi-touch LCD screen
4.4" x 1.8" x 0.5" form factor; 0.3 lbs
600 MHz ARM11
256 MB RAM
16 GB storage
HSPA/EDGE/GPS
$499

Wow, you have tought a lot bout the specs .
Apple is a hardware company, dont believe me? Read this Article!. For those who understand my message, help me spread this info to those who dont get it.
Reply
Apple is a hardware company, dont believe me? Read this Article!. For those who understand my message, help me spread this info to those who dont get it.
Reply
post #10 of 77
11" MacBook Air.
post #11 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by firevsh2o View Post

Because Apple doesn't sell a normal desktop only a workstation and a small cripled little laptop without screen .... so what would you buy when you need a "desktop".

The iMac is not the "best" solution - it is only the best of the worst.

I wouldn't have said this quite as bluntly as you did, but yes.

Unfortunately, this is how it is and this is how it will stay. No way Apple introduces anything other than AIO consumer desktops except for Mac mini (or Mac mini like future models) that takes small size to the extreme, very extreme.
just waiting to be included in one of Apple's target markets.
Don't get me wrong, I like the flat panel iMac, actually own an iMac, and I like the Mac mini, but...........
Reply
just waiting to be included in one of Apple's target markets.
Don't get me wrong, I like the flat panel iMac, actually own an iMac, and I like the Mac mini, but...........
Reply
post #12 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickag View Post

I wouldn't have said this quite as bluntly as you did, but yes.

Unfortunately, this is how it is and this is how it will stay. No way Apple introduces anything other than AIO consumer desktops except for Mac mini (or Mac mini like future models) that takes small size to the extreme, very extreme.

I wish they would axe the Mac Mini and make the iMac the "base" mac desktop and create a mini tower that is more powerful than the iMac but not as expensive as the Mac Pro...
post #13 of 77
How about they release the version of the Macbook Pro already?!?!?!?!?!? How's that for a great idea for a new Mac?!?!?
post #14 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by opnsource View Post

I wish they would axe the Mac Mini and make the iMac the "base" mac desktop and create a mini tower that is more powerful than the iMac but not as expensive as the Mac Pro...

Here here.
post #15 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by opnsource View Post

I wish they would axe the Mac Mini and make the iMac the "base" mac desktop and create a mini tower that is more powerful than the iMac but not as expensive as the Mac Pro...

Why should they axe the mini to make your Mini "cube" tower?
The mini is perfect for many applications. My self included.
There room for more Macs in the line up. Just look at the air.
Why do so many Sys Admins hate the Mac? . A q u a M a c .
Reply
Why do so many Sys Admins hate the Mac? . A q u a M a c .
Reply
post #16 of 77
Well, form factor is not really important to me. If apple could put the current power of MacPro into macmini size i would not mind getting that.

The trouble is recent tech is moving rather slow compare to software that are pushing the limits.
We have games that even next generation card would not be able to play at maximum setting.
We have video 1080P 20+ Mbit H.264 that could barely play with current Mac.
Hard Disk are growing far slower then our Information oweing habit.
Software that eat all of 2Gb memory for breakfast.

And since apple now uses 90% mobile parts for all Mac. Therefore the future of Mac would be same as PC technology wise.
Just different enclosure.
post #17 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staedtler View Post

Here here.

The phrase is "Hear! Hear!" Look it up.
post #18 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMac View Post

Why should they axe the mini to make your Mini "cube" tower?
The mini is perfect for many applications. My self included.
There room for more Macs in the line up. Just look at the air.

A couple of things:

First, I never said anything about a "cube". The term "mini tower" is used throughout the industry as any tower smaller than something the size of say the Mac Pro. What I was talking about was something that would make the iMac the base Mac desktop and would be more powerful than a desktop with laptop spec's (not to mention upgradable) and less expensive than the Mac Pro with it's 8 core Xenon processor.

Second, when referring to yourself as "myself", there is no space.

Third, Fine! Keep the Mini and make another tower! I don't care! I just want there to be a Mac desktop that gives you the option of upgrading more than the RAM.
post #19 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

11" MacBook Air.

WTF? Are you on crack? That would make the MBA only marginally smaller than the current model and would only sacrifice viewable screen area for a fractional weight drop.
post #20 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by opnsource View Post

WTF? Are you on crack? That would make the MBA only marginally smaller than the current model and would only sacrifice viewable screen area for a fractional weight drop.

Well, people have different needs. Other laptop vendors have tens of models. Apple only has 4: 13.3" Macbook, 13.3" Macbook air, 15.4" Macbook Pro, and 17" Macbook Pro. They do this as "good" business practice. If they want to continue to expand marketshare, it is inevitable for them to continue to create machines that cater to other niches.

Like in the other thread: With the gigantic variation in user wants and needs out there, Apple needs to have a 3" iPhone, 3" iPod touch, 3.8" iPod touch, 3.8" iPhone, 5" iPhone, 6" iPod touch, 7" OS X tablet, 8" OS X tablet, 9" MacBook halfbook, 10" OS X tablet, 10" MacBook halfbook, 11" MacBook air, 12" MacBook, 12" MacBook Pro, 13.3" MacBook, 13.3" MacBook air, 14.1" MacBook, 15" MacBook, 15.4" MacBook Pro, 17" MacBook Pro, and 19" MacBook HD, and 21" MacBook Enormous (with 2560x1600 pixels!).

For various reasons, Apple is highly unlikely to enter a lot of these niches though, no matter how much we wish them to. For instance, the sub-$800 laptop market (13.3" screen or so) will likely be ignored by Apple for a long time. Just not enough margin.
post #21 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by THT View Post

Well, people have different needs. Other laptop vendors have tens of models. Apple only has 4: 13.3" Macbook, 13.3" Macbook air, 15.4" Macbook Pro, and 17" Macbook Pro. They do this as "good" business practice. If they want to continue to expand marketshare, it is inevitable for them to continue to create machines that cater to other niches.

Like in the other thread: With the gigantic variation in user wants and needs out there, Apple needs to have a 3" iPhone, 3" iPod touch, 3.8" iPod touch, 3.8" iPhone, 5" iPhone, 6" iPod touch, 7" OS X tablet, 8" OS X tablet, 9" MacBook halfbook, 10" OS X tablet, 10" MacBook halfbook, 11" MacBook air, 12" MacBook, 12" MacBook Pro, 13.3" MacBook, 13.3" MacBook air, 14.1" MacBook, 15" MacBook, 15.4" MacBook Pro, 17" MacBook Pro, and 19" MacBook HD, and 21" MacBook Enormous (with 2560x1600 pixels!).

For various reasons, Apple is highly unlikely to enter a lot of these niches though, no matter how much we wish them to. For instance, the sub-$800 laptop market (13.3" screen or so) will likely be ignored by Apple for a long time. Just not enough margin.

And thats the reason Apple is different in GOOD way. They don't have a dizzying array of 45 different notebook configurations in different sizes (11.5",13.3",14.4",15", etc) and a confusing naming system (Macbook V-series ef4300i, Macbook VS-series kf4380i, Macbook ef4920i-z, etc...)

Apple doesn't need to enter the sub $800 market and start making crap. The bottom-feeders can fight over those scraps. Apple will revolutionize the sub $800 notebook market though, by having iPhones and iPod touches making them obsolete for a cheaper price! Besides, whens the last time you went to Best Buy and actually saw a sub $800 notebook worth buying that wasn't on-sale, a demo model, or on clearance from yesteryear? Usually there is no more than 3 available and they all SUCK hardcore.
post #22 of 77
Here's an original: how about allowing the consumer to choose between glossy and matte screens? Not everyone likes to stare into the reflecting glare of the sun.
post #23 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdotdubz View Post

And thats the reason Apple is different in GOOD way. They don't have a dizzying array of 45 different notebook configurations in different sizes (11.5",13.3",14.4",15", etc) and a confusing naming system (Macbook V-series ef4300i, Macbook VS-series kf4380i, Macbook ef4920i-z, etc...)

Give consumers more credit than this. A lot of models don't mean confusion, and I'm not talking about 20+ models. How about 6 or 7? There just needs to be good stratification or pricing.

Quote:
Apple doesn't need to enter the sub $800 market and start making crap. The bottom-feeders can fight over those scraps. Apple will revolutionize the sub $800 notebook market though, by having iPhones and iPod touches making them obsolete for a cheaper price! Besides, whens the last time you went to Best Buy and actually saw a sub $800 notebook worth buying that wasn't on-sale, a demo model, or on clearance from yesteryear? Usually there is no more than 3 available and they all SUCK hardcore.

Well, we bought an HP dv2xxx something with a 13.3" screen and 1.8 GHz Turion X2 last September for $750. It's a fine machine for its purposes. We comparisoned shopped at Best Buy, Office Depot and Circuit City and got the cheapest one.

If Apple offered a $799 Macbook, I'd imagine something like a 1.6 GHz 2 MB cache C2D, 1 GB memory, 60 GB hard disk and a combo optical would be fine.

They could sell a 19" Macbook Pro at $2999 pretty easy with quad-core goodness and all. They could sell the black Macbook for $1399 (that's a $125 premium for the "black" feature) and make room for a 13.3" MBP at $1599. If they could squeeze a 14.1" screen in the MBA, it'll settle nicely in the $1799 price print. $1999 for 15" MBP. $2499 for 17" MPB. And yeah, perhaps a 12" Macbook at $899. That's 7 models, and still leave room for iPhone/iPod "max" at $699 (and iPhone nano at $249).

With the market trending towards all-on-machines (yes, laptops are all in one machines ), catering to as many people as possible can be very important. It'll be interesting to see. For inventory management reasons, they could collapse on the screen sizes, but they should be pretty damn good at the inventory and production thing now.
post #24 of 77
If they really cared about their customers!
post #25 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by THT View Post

Give consumers more credit than this. A lot of models don't mean confusion, and I'm not talking about 20+ models. How about 6 or 7? There just needs to be good stratification or pricing.



Well, we bought an HP dv2xxx something with a 13.3" screen and 1.8 GHz Turion X2 last September for $750. It's a fine machine for its purposes. We comparisoned shopped at Best Buy, Office Depot and Circuit City and got the cheapest one.

If Apple offered a $799 Macbook, I'd imagine something like a 1.6 GHz 2 MB cache C2D, 1 GB memory, 60 GB hard disk and a combo optical would be fine.

They could sell a 19" Macbook Pro at $2999 pretty easy with quad-core goodness and all. They could sell the black Macbook for $1399 (that's a $125 premium for the "black" feature) and make room for a 13.3" MBP at $1599. If they could squeeze a 14.1" screen in the MBA, it'll settle nicely in the $1799 price print. $1999 for 15" MBP. $2499 for 17" MPB. And yeah, perhaps a 12" Macbook at $899. That's 7 models, and still leave room for iPhone/iPod "max" at $699 (and iPhone nano at $249).

With the market trending towards all-on-machines (yes, laptops are all in one machines ), catering to as many people as possible can be very important. It'll be interesting to see. For inventory management reasons, they could collapse on the screen sizes, but they should be pretty damn good at the inventory and production thing now.

If Apple can execute an $800 laptop that doesn't sacrifice (i.e. suck and tarnish Apple's good name & reputation) and that also doesn't cannibalize the Macbook, then great I'm for it.

As for Apple making an Eee Pc? Whats the point, the iPhone/iPod Touch is a far better platform and its far more mobile.

Is there expansion for 6 or laptop models? Maybe, I can see a 4th being a 13" Macbook Touch (Tablet). And maybe a smaller Macbook Touch as well, mimicking the size of a book or something 8"x11".

I really think the Macbook Touch will double as a desktop as well with a simple optional stand (a la iMac-style). That should be pretty huge with students and professionals, who can use it as a desktop at the dorm/home and take it to class/work.

Just a stand that snaps to the back of the Macbook Touch, Bluetooth Keyboard + Mouse and your set!
post #26 of 77
I just want more USB ports... simple... more....
post #27 of 77
OK, so I may have had WAY too much coffee this morning but I just came up with what could be an awesome idea.

We know that Jobs wants to bring multitouch to regular computing. We have seen a first step with the MacBook air.

We know Apple has a patent to have multitouch on both sides of a device.

We know Apple can design and build REALLY thin screens.

So my idea for the MacBook touch is as follows.

Open, it looks just like a regular MacBook, including the hinge. It does everything the same way, looks the same, fantastic! There is some multitouch capability on the screen, but not much. About the amount the MacBook air has in its trackpad.

When you close it, the back of the screen...IS ALSO A SCREEN! It looks like a large iPhone. There is a sleep/wake button as well as a home button. The interface looks like the iPhone. You can hold it in one hand and still use the laptop, though with much limited.. Show presentations, movies, play music, photos. It could act partially as the Front Row (so you don't have to carry a remote with you). At least all the applications of the iPhone, with more that I am way too half asleep/half caffinated to think of at the moment but if someone wants to develop the idea a little more, please do so. I would say Photoshop but Apple NEEDS an active digitizer for that, otherwise they are wasting it.

I am not saying Apple will, just that Apple COULD.
The iSlate cometh
Reply
The iSlate cometh
Reply
post #28 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogzilla View Post

OK, so I may have had WAY too much coffee this morning but I just came up with what could be an awesome idea.

We know that Jobs wants to bring multitouch to regular computing. We have seen a first step with the MacBook air.

We know Apple has a patent to have multitouch on both sides of a device.

We know Apple can design and build REALLY thin screens.

So my idea for the MacBook touch is as follows.

Open, it looks just like a regular MacBook, including the hinge. It does everything the same way, looks the same, fantastic! There is some multitouch capability on the screen, but not much. About the amount the MacBook air has in its trackpad.

When you close it, the back of the screen...IS ALSO A SCREEN! It looks like a large iPhone. There is a sleep/wake button as well as a home button. The interface looks like the iPhone. You can hold it in one hand and still use the laptop, though with much limited.. Show presentations, movies, play music, photos. It could act partially as the Front Row (so you don't have to carry a remote with you). At least all the applications of the iPhone, with more that I am way too half asleep/half caffinated to think of at the moment but if someone wants to develop the idea a little more, please do so. I would say Photoshop but Apple NEEDS an active digitizer for that, otherwise they are wasting it.

I am not saying Apple will, just that Apple COULD.

I like your idea, but i think I got some up my sleeve too

If I played Steve for a day,
I would...

Make a 13" Macbook Touch, dimensions (thickness) in between Macbook and the Air. Strictly Multi-Touch tablet with full OSX Leopard, no compromises. Make it roughly same processing power as MB or the MBA, give it 2GB ram, a 120GB drive to start (SSD optional), same amount of usb, firewire, and other ports as Macbook (maybe a few more), optional optical drive. My twist? It would double as a desktop as well! Give a nice iMac style stand that attaches to the back and voila! Your portable is now a desktop. Just add bluetooth keyboard and mouse.

I think this would be an explosively popular model for students and professionals. Take your tablet to school/work, and use it as a desktop back home. No silly docking stations, just a simple stand, magsafe plug, BT keyboard+mouse. Thats it!

It would be mini iMac Touch, only portable whenever your on the go!
post #29 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by firevsh2o View Post

Because Apple doesn't sell a normal desktop only a workstation and a small cripled little laptop without screen .... so what would you buy when you need a "desktop".

The iMac is not the "best" solution - it is only the best of the worst.

The Pro is too, well "Pro" priced and overkill, and to get an iMac the way I would want it, would have all kinds of Firewire crap hanging off it. So much for Apple's elegant design concept!
post #30 of 77
Just for my five penny´s worth...

I belive we will be introduced to a totally new product at the febuary Apple media event!

It´s a product that didn´t make it to Macworld 2008.

It seemed like Jobs had difficulties filling out the entire keynote. I think it was rushed into and hurriedly changed just days or hours before the event.

Yep! Just speculation... but I hope they now have a revised and better bombox (Read: Ipod HI FI) that actually can replace your current music stereo system.

If they wanna go all the way (Which i think they should), we would hopefully see the long awaited fully blown... (...Is it a stereo?... Is it a tv? ...is it a game console? ...or is it the new p2p video conference center on your new Cinema Display?) ...MediaCenter?

Oohhh! I would be so freakiiiin`happy!!!
I love the snappiness - I adore the sazzyness - I need the intuitive
Reply
I love the snappiness - I adore the sazzyness - I need the intuitive
Reply
post #31 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfabulous View Post

Just for my five penny´s worth...

I belive we will be introduced to a totally new product at the febuary Apple media event!

It´s a product that didn´t make it to Macworld 2008.

It seemed like Jobs had difficulties filling out the entire keynote. I think it was rushed into and hurriedly changed just days or hours before the event.

Yep! Just speculation... but I hope they now have a revised and better bombox (Read: Ipod HI FI) that actually can replace your current music stereo system.

If they wanna go all the way (Which i think they should), we would hopefully see the long awaited fully blown... (...Is it a stereo?... Is it a tv? ...is it a game console? ...or is it the new p2p video conference center on your new Cinema Display?) ...MediaCenter?

Oohhh! I would be so freakiiiin`happy!!!

If not!...

Then it´s gotta be new Cinema Displays - Which contains some kind of web TV-capability with a Safari web browser in its stomach. Yep! Then you can surf the internet from your couch with your new and improved Apple Remote while you discuss todays football results with your friend over iChat. And of cause you navigate the internet with the remote... :-)

Cinema Displays are so overdue...

I would be pleased... if it was just so...! ;-)
I love the snappiness - I adore the sazzyness - I need the intuitive
Reply
I love the snappiness - I adore the sazzyness - I need the intuitive
Reply
post #32 of 77
A future Mac, ?

With wireless bandwidth getting better and faster, my suggestion would be a Mac that sits in with the entertainment center.
-Would look similar to current A/V equipment.
-Need for large and fast hard drives
-Upgradable graphics cards
-Slots
-Would be able to run dumb terminals wirelessly(why buy a computer for email, light word processing, surfing the net)
-Communicate seamlessly with multiple computers wirelessly
-Connected to cable, telephone, A/V equipment, game boxes, television.

It would be the hub of all communications, entertainment and computing.
just waiting to be included in one of Apple's target markets.
Don't get me wrong, I like the flat panel iMac, actually own an iMac, and I like the Mac mini, but...........
Reply
just waiting to be included in one of Apple's target markets.
Don't get me wrong, I like the flat panel iMac, actually own an iMac, and I like the Mac mini, but...........
Reply
post #33 of 77
I was looking back at a lot of the discussions concerning tablet Macs, what people expect, so on and so forth.

Some people expect a full tablet device, with no keyboard. Others think Apple would make a convertable device. The more I think about it. the more I expect something that is both.

I think it will be sold first and foremost, yes, as a slate. That is a very Apple design. Simple, elegent, ect. Yet many people would still want a phyiscal keyboard for extended typing. My initial though had been the bluetooth keyboard. Some people, however, do not want to carry around an extra device.

So what is the solution?

I don't see a tablet mac as really BEING a Mac, but more like a superpowered, larger iPod touch. It would probably even use the same interface, though it could be running an OSX closer to the Mac variation. As such, this device would be used in conjuction with your current machine (like a Newton, for example) and would sync to your computer through iSync (maybe iTunes but I think an improved iSync would be a better option). It might even use the same iPod dock connector. So why not a dock?

And what if said dock also included a built in keyboard (not a track pad, just a keyboard)? What if the connector that it sat on top of allowed the device to rotate and even lay down? Of course, the keybaord and tablet would have to be designed in such a way that it would close flush no matter what way you closed it. But there you have it, a slate for the people who want one, a convertable for the people who want on, in the same product. It wouldn't be too far fetched, as there are hybrids that do that already.

This keyboard dock would have a connector port on the back for syncing. Maybe it would add more USB ports, or an ethernet port since I can't see a tablet Mac having one at this point.

I know what you are thinking, cause I just thought of it. "Roger, why would Apple do this? Wouldn't it cut into their laptop market?" A bit, sure. But then, this isn't a laptop. This isn't a desktop replacement and it doesn't run the familiar Mac OSX. It runs the touch version, but with much more programs (both first and obviously after this month, third party).

But then I claim no intellegence when it comes to what Apple WILL develop. But I do have fun imagining what the CAN develop.
The iSlate cometh
Reply
The iSlate cometh
Reply
post #34 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogzilla View Post

I was looking back at a lot of the discussions concerning tablet Macs, what people expect, so on and so forth.

I don't even expect tablet Macs but rather larger iPod Touch like devices. I think the difference is huge and those that are advocating a tablet Mac don't realize how difficult that will be to sell.
Quote:

So what is the solution?

I don't see a tablet mac as really BEING a Mac, but more like a superpowered, larger iPod touch.

So we are thinking alike!
Quote:
It would probably even use the same interface, though it could be running an OSX closer to the Mac variation. As such, this device would be used in conjuction with your current machine (like a Newton, for example) and would sync to your computer through iSync (maybe iTunes but I think an improved iSync would be a better option). It might even use the same iPod dock connector. So why not a dock?

I don't think Apple needs a different version of Mac OS for this device, the mobile version will be fine if Apple ever finishes it. That is what is need right now on the iPhone an OS version that lets users better exploit the hardware. The one weakness with Mobile OS is with I/O which Apple can update at any time.
Quote:

And what if said dock also included a built in keyboard (not a track pad, just a keyboard)? What if the connector that it sat on top of allowed the device to rotate and even lay down? Of course, the keybaord and tablet would have to be designed in such a way that it would close flush no matter what way you closed it. But there you have it, a slate for the people who want one, a convertable for the people who want on, in the same product. It wouldn't be too far fetched, as there are hybrids that do that already.

The biggest problem with the folding approach is that mechanically it takes up to much space. So you end up with a product that is twice as thick as it needs to be. Now I acknowledge the need for alternative input devices but that can be resolved with a full Bluetooth stack and possibly a USB port, The user then can use the device of his choice.
Quote:

This keyboard dock would have a connector port on the back for syncing. Maybe it would add more USB ports, or an ethernet port since I can't see a tablet Mac having one at this point.

Tablet based iPod Touches don't need a lot of I/O unlike something like AIR that is too thin on I/O. I see solid support of WiFI and Bluetooth to be extremely important followed up by a USB port. This incidentally is what one gets in AIR, which makes you wonder why they couldn't find more space in that device.
Quote:

I know what you are thinking, cause I just thought of it. "Roger, why would Apple do this? Wouldn't it cut into their laptop market?" A bit, sure. But then, this isn't a laptop. This isn't a desktop replacement and it doesn't run the familiar Mac OSX. It runs the touch version, but with much more programs (both first and obviously after this month, third party).

Apple will do this simply because if they don't somebody else will. I believe demand for this type of devices is very high. One example is the high sales rates for iPod Touch even though it really is a bit thin as a media storage device.
Quote:

But then I claim no intellegence when it comes to what Apple WILL develop. But I do have fun imagining what the CAN develop.

Don't we all! I see the Touch as an excellent prototype of what could be a really awesome media device. It just needs a bit more work and another round of improvements with respect to Flash technology.

Dave
post #35 of 77
Midsize tower for us higher computing designers with no need for a refrigerator sized mac at home.
smaller footprint, same design as mac pro.

2.8 Ghz
4 GB ram
500 GB HDD

starting at $2100
post #36 of 77
A 1/2 tower. A native Quadcore that is easy to upgrade.
Sizewise the low end would be:
A super cube with room for a standard DVDburner and any decent graphic card. The upper limit something like the orignal B&W tower


The MacPro is really a octacore design. Crippling it to "only" one quadcore and still having to use those expensive FBDIMMs is bad.
All the other macs are dual cores and the only way to make an other quadcore would be iMac with much improved coooling.

I am not suggesting dirt cheap tower to fight the very low end but something of 1000 to 1500 dollars.
post #37 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnathan View Post

Midsize tower for us higher computing designers with no need for a refrigerator sized mac at home.
smaller footprint, same design as mac pro.

2.8 Ghz
4 GB ram
500 GB HDD

starting at $2100

Try starting it at $800 with 2gb of ram small base HD, and slower cpu.
post #38 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I don't even expect tablet Macs but rather larger iPod Touch like devices. I think the difference is huge and those that are advocating a tablet Mac don't realize how difficult that will be to sell.

So we are thinking alike!

Great minds, eh? i think the good money is on it. I think this plays partly into why tablets don't do well. Windows (and OSX) were designed with a point and click mouse based interface, not touch. So anything that is going to be touch based has to be designed around that...like the iPhone OS.

Quote:
I don't think Apple needs a different version of Mac OS for this device, the mobile version will be fine if Apple ever finishes it. That is what is need right now on the iPhone an OS version that lets users better exploit the hardware. The one weakness with Mobile OS is with I/O which Apple can update at any time.

I think somewhere a little in the middle actually. Not really full on Mac OSX but really, I would want something more powerful(not sure if that is the right term) here. I think it will need to be capable of much more than an iPod/iPhone.

Quote:
The biggest problem with the folding approach is that mechanically it takes up to much space. So you end up with a product that is twice as thick as it needs to be. Now I acknowledge the need for alternative input devices but that can be resolved with a full Bluetooth stack and possibly a USB port, The user then can use the device of his choice.

Also good. That would be enough to make me happy. I suggested this to appeal to the convertables. Though I also like my idea above of a double sided screen for a laptop. That one has even LESS chance of happening though. :-P

Quote:
Tablet based iPod Touches don't need a lot of I/O unlike something like AIR that is too thin on I/O. I see solid support of WiFI and Bluetooth to be extremely important followed up by a USB port. This incidentally is what one gets in AIR, which makes you wonder why they couldn't find more space in that device.

That is pretty much exactly what I am expecting with this tablet, the Air...er...ports.

Quote:
Apple will do this simply because if they don't somebody else will. I believe demand for this type of devices is very high. One example is the high sales rates for iPod Touch even though it really is a bit thin as a media storage device.

No doubt. Hell, Dell is developing a multitouch tablet! There's is a convertable but still! Apple (and Jobs) can't let them beat them to the punch. That is why I REALLY think that we will see (or at least hear) something at this rumored February event, especially if Jobs talks about the SDK. "So now that we can get these great programs onto this OS, check out this badass little device to run it!"

Quote:
Don't we all! I see the Touch as an excellent prototype of what could be a really awesome media device. It just needs a bit more work and another round of improvements with respect to Flash technology.

Dave

Agreed. I also want it bigger. I know the rumor here is that the "Newton" tablet will be 5.25 or so but I want at least 7". I don't care if it is pocketable because I carry around a messenger bag and most people carry around SOME sort of bag already, be it a briefcase, a laptop bag, a purse, ect. Something small enough to fit into one of those is all Apple needs. If you want something REALLY pocketable, we have the iPod touch already. But if we want something more powerful get this...err...iPod air? :-P

EDIT-Or maybe MacBook Nano? I found this a while ago and came across it again recently. If I recall, this was from some European magazine and based on what they heard the device would look like. This is about what I expect...except the optical drive, I think that was just speculation.

My estimates put this at around 10.5", twice as big as the rumored "Newton"

EDIT 2-OK, so after a little more digging, this seems to be the originator, Stuff Magazine. Check out the very sparse online article.
The iSlate cometh
Reply
The iSlate cometh
Reply
post #39 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_the_dragon View Post

Try starting it at $800 with 2gb of ram small base HD, and slower cpu.

but of course. however that was just the version i'd want..
post #40 of 77
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelhot View Post

I assume your module means third party hardwares? Cause if it is, you are welcome to read the following comments, if not then you can skip it.

Well here is my tought, as much as we would love to make our own tricked out Mac. We would have to face that in the future, Apple will end up like MSoft. From my opinion, the reason why Vista is having a lot of problems is because of hardware incompatibility. A lot of old hardwares cant be used and MSoft would have real lots of problem making drivers for all those old hardwares.

Apple on the other hand would be able to control the age of their products with new OS (eg: your 4 years old Mac can run Leopard). Why? Cause they have absolute control over their hardware specs. Meaning they can actually test to know the exact minimum spec for Leopard to run and if any hardware related problem were to occur, Apple would be able to fix the problem ASAP and of coarse this means a more stable Leopard or future OSes.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by these comments. Are you approving of my proposal or disapproving of it? It seems like disapproval.

ANYWAY...

You have a good point. Third-party hardware is what makes the world go 'round (that and Macs, of course), but when it doesn't work with your computer, that can be really, really annoying (). However, third-party hardware can also be less expensive than products from the company that makes the actual computer, but that does come at the expense of the guarantee of compatibility. I suppose it all depends on what you prefer: assured compatibility or less of a dent in your wallet.
Punctuation, please! And don't use "its" when you mean "it's" or "it's" when you mean "its".

Also, please try to differentiate between "to" and "too".
Reply
Punctuation, please! And don't use "its" when you mean "it's" or "it's" when you mean "its".

Also, please try to differentiate between "to" and "too".
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Ideas for Future Macs