or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple among those considering rival bid for Yahoo?

Apple among those considering rival bid for Yahoo?

post #1 of 89
Global giants including Apple Inc. and Rupert Murdoch's News Corp. are considering rival bids for the internet search icon Yahoo, which has received a $44.6 billion offer from Microsoft, the Scotsman is reporting.

Though the report cites no sources, it points to a statement on Yahoo's website that says that company will seek acquisition proposals from other companies, evaluate all of its strategic alternatives, and then "pursue the option that it believes can best maximise value for our shareholders."

In addition to Apple and News Corp., several other firms are reported to be unwilling to allow Microsoft to gobble up Yahoo without a fight, including American media conglomerate InterActiveCorp and leading Chinese search firms such as Alibaba.com.

"Yahoo chief executive and co-founder Jerry Yang is understood not to be Microsoft's greatest fan, and would be prepared to line up another 'white knight' rather than concede to Ballmer," the Scotsman wrote in its report. "It is believed he would be particularly open to a rescue bid from Steve Jobs' Apple Corp, having openly expressed his admiration for the firm in the past."

In an effort to help boost sagging moral at the once thriving internet search company, Yang this past October called upon Jobs to deliver a motivational speech at a company meeting consisting of approximately 300 of Yahoo's top brass.

The message delivered by Jobs was that Yahoo -- a company with one of the largest Internet user bases -- can do and achieve anything. Like Apple, he said, Yahoo retains some incredibly valuable assets, but now needs to focus on execution.
post #2 of 89
I could see Apple and Yahoo creating good synergistic mileu more so than Microsoft and Yahoo which are too redundant in product offerings.

Apple would clean up the myriad of Yahoo tools and provide some direction to the companies many offerings.

.Mac would become a premium service at $149 a year and Apple would basically turn Yahoo into .Mac on steroids ...but for free for most services.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
post #3 of 89
I don't see Apple wanting to buy the chaotic boondoggle that is Yahoo.

Could Apple legally invest into Yahoo before putting in an offer that would make MS counteroffer, thereby increasing Apple's financial holdings as Yahoo stock would skyrocket again and drain MS of more money if the deal goes through? Well, they can at least do one of the two legally.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #4 of 89
Oh lord, please, no.
Hopefully this would just be a ploy to make MS pay even more.
The MS bid is not about any product or technology... its about eyeballs, pure and simple.

But for the most entertaining look at the bid, check out...
http://fakesteve.blogspot.com/2008/0...-of-ideas.html

Fake Steve's finally back on track.
post #5 of 89
As someone with both a .mac subscription and paid subscription to Yahoo! email I too would welcome Yahoo! being bought by anyone else (well except to the Chinese company being mentioned in the article). I'm weary of Microsoft radically making Yahoo! less Apple friendly.
2.0 GHz Macbook, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HD
2.0 GHz Macbook, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HD
post #6 of 89
No chance Apple is so incredibly stupid to bid on YHOO (I hope!). They have enough on their plate and I don't think the value is there to come in over MSFTs bid.

Personally, I like Yahoo and wouldn't want to seem them consumed by MSFT, but I think the resulting indigestion would be great fun to watch and a big win for Apple. I would like to see MSFT get bled for another 10-15 billion on this purchase if possible though.
post #7 of 89
I would think that Yahoo! would be a distraction for Apple. Possibly as much (maybe slightly less) of a mistake as it will be for Microsoft.

However, I'd love to see some bidding force Microsoft to pay a few (10?) billion more, thus causing even more of a mess for Microsoft to find ways to justify this buyout.

Yahoo! is a "fixer upper" project I think. Probably has lots of great assets but probably lacks real focus. This is a perfect fit for Microsoft (sarcasm fully intended). This will keep Microsoft distracted for years trying to figure out a way to properly ruining the things that are good about Yahoo!

It would be a real challenge for Steve and his team to see how well they can shape up such a large organization (in a very different business) by Steve's sheer force of will. I suppose if anyone could do it, he can (making this a slightly smaller mistake for Apple). But it would scare me.

Apple's best strategic acquisition would be Adobe to get control of a bunch of decent software assets (including media content formats and technologies widely used on the Internet). Then partner closely with Google for the "cloud computing" side of things. Maybe even sell off .Mac to Google and much greater (and cooler) integration of Google with Leopard, Safari, iPhone, iPod touch, etc.

I think that's where I'd go if I were Apple.
post #8 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQB View Post

The MS bid is not about any product or technology... its about eyeballs, pure and simple.

You really don't think eyeballs are a product? What do you think NBC, FOX, ABC etc... are selling to advertisers?

Wait! You didn't think you were their customer did you?
post #9 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodstains View Post

You really don't think eyeballs are a product? What do you think NBC, FOX, ABC etc... are selling to advertisers?

Wait! You didn't think you were their customer did you?

Eyeballs aren't the product because they aren't providing them in any way. Eyeballs would be the customers in your example.
post #10 of 89
I see no real reason for Apple to spend billions to acquire the sinking ship that is Yahoo!, and the article sounds like a reporter trying to invent a story to fill space.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #11 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Eyeballs aren't the product because they aren't providing them in any way. Eyeballs would be the customers in your example.

Content providers are supplying the consumers[eyeballs] by producing the content to draw consumers to the site/channel/radio station. The consumers[eyeballs] can not be the customers because they are not making a purchase.
post #12 of 89
Quote:

Of course. Just point out that its not Yahoo's technologies that MS wants.
post #13 of 89
Quote:

They are providing the eyeballs by producing the content to draw them to the site/channel/radio station. The eyeballs can not be the customers because they do not making a purchase.

Wow! Simply, wow!
post #14 of 89
I like the idea

Apple rarely makes large purchases but if they really want to play with the big boys they have to get in front of a lot of people.

Do I really think Apple is going to spend Billions. No. The fiscally conservative Apple will likely just bluff and let Yahoo slide on by.

However the nice thing would be if they did purchase Yahoo and over the course of the next 5 years turned the site into a great repository of information and social connection (iChat would now support Jabbar, AOL, Yahoo Messenger and Google Talk!).
- SolipsismX
- SolipsismX
post #15 of 89
Buying Yahoo would put AAPL in more direct competition with
Google, currently a close ally. I can't see it happening.
post #16 of 89
Quote:

Wow! Simply, wow!

Sounds like somebody just got their eyeballs opened.
post #17 of 89
I some respects the deal would make sense for aapl. Besides the search engine, there are a couple of points that stick out to me:

1. yhoo is seems to have a cult following in China, due to its founder/CEO. China is a market that aapl is looking to get a foothold in. The deal could give aapl some "halo" effect while they try to bring in the iphone and open shops.

2. A number of yhoo holdings seem to be particularly mac centric. If msft got a hold of these properties, they would either kill them off or try to convert them to some lame windows live garbage. I think aapl would be adverse to letting this happen.

If they don't go for the whole thing, I think they would try to make msft divest themselves from the properties in #2 on anti-trust grounds.
post #18 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Either that or maybe my convoluted post? It has been edited for clarity.
post #19 of 89
Quote:

Buying Yahoo would put AAPL in more direct competition with
Google, currently a close ally. I can't see it happening.

Google developing Android put them in direct competition with Apple. Business is Business..Apple will partner with Google where it sees fit and compete where they must.

I'd say that Apple could stratify a Yahoo purchase more cleanly by breaking Yahoo into functional BU and then sell off what they don't need (Advertising etc)
- SolipsismX
- SolipsismX
post #20 of 89
I can't see why Apple would want to buy Yahoo? Apple is already working with Google for a certain number of solutions and they already have their .mac service. What are the benefits to Apple in buying Yahoo?
post #21 of 89
Several people posting here have remarked about the "assets" Yahoo has. Even Steve Jobs mentioned them in his motivational speech last fall. I don't think that Jobs & Co would have any trouble taking over and reshaping Yahoo if they really wanted to do it. When Jobs came back to Apple it was in a similar position-some good assets but getting it's rear kicked by the competition due to lack of focus. Look at how quickly Jobs cut things at Apple like the Newton, OpenDoc, CHRP, etc... There's nothing that ails Yahoo that some Alka-Jobs won't cure!
post #22 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmas View Post

I can't see why Apple would want to buy Yahoo? Apple is already working with Google for a certain number of solutions and they already have their .mac service. What are the benefits to Apple in buying Yahoo?

Largest free webmail service
Advertising
Good Groups structure
Messenging
Advertising
Web Hosting
Mobile Searching
Music
Sports/News/Biz/Finance portals
Shopping Infrastructure

Apple's not even close to offering a fraction of what Yahoo has. The question is is Apple up to the challenge of such integration? I think Yahoo is a little "fat" with 13k employees.
- SolipsismX
- SolipsismX
post #23 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Largest free webmail service
Advertising
Good Groups structure
Messenging
Advertising
Web Hosting
Mobile Searching
Music
Sports/News/Biz/Finance portals
Shopping Infrastructure

Apple's not even close to offering a fraction of what Yahoo has. The question is is Apple up to the challenge of such integration? I think Yahoo is a little "fat" with 13k employees.

Some of this would be seen as duplicating Apple's efforts, so I can see some getting the chop, if Apple does buy. At the same time I hope that Apple does not take a .mac approach to Yahoo.
post #24 of 89
If MS can bid for Yahoo, then Google can - Apple needs to take over Adobe not Yahoo!
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #25 of 89
Yahoo! is in a death spiral. Their unique feature, the Internet Directory (an alternative to a search engine) has fallen into disrepair. Everything they do is done equally well or better elsewhere.

Letting Microsoft blow almost ALL of their cash for a dying company would be one of the best things that could happen for Apple.

I use some Yahoo! services, and one thing I have noticed is that almost every "upgrade" has made the service harder to use and less useful. Attaining Microsoft's definition of "upgrading" (bigger, fatter, more difficult and less useful) seems to be Yahoo!'s (how 'bout that punctuation!?) natural arc.

Apple should stay out of this except for driving up the price to make evil incarnate (Microsoft or Rupert Murdoch) overpay for this obsolete pig!!!
post #26 of 89
Whoever buys Yahoo is getting a mess.

For that reason I hope it's Microsoft.
post #27 of 89
Quote:

They most certainly were opened. I've read some bizarre things on the internet but I never thought I'd read something so "back-asswards" as that without an attending " j/k" or some laughing emoticon. I sometimes forget that a rudimentary education isn't a prerequisite for using the internet.
post #28 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

If MS can bid for Yahoo, then Google can - Apple needs to take over Adobe not Yahoo!

Adobe's close to being as "fat" as Yahoo. Though they have stellar products in the CS Suite and PDF.

Yahoo isn't worth the 40+ Billion IMO. Apple's chintzy when it comes to acquisitions.
- SolipsismX
- SolipsismX
post #29 of 89
Quote:

I agree.

Look at the POS that office 2008 has become.

Apple need the Adobe apps to keep MS developing for the Mac. The prospect of Apple doing to CS3 what MS did to office 2008 could help keep MS honest.

Either way Apple cannot afford to let such a thing happen to CS3.
post #30 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Either way Apple cannot afford to let such a thing happen to CS3.

I bet that Apple has a Photoshop competitor ready for market just in case of something like a Microsoft buyout of Adobe. I don't want Apple to buy any other company - but I agree that they should put in a fake bid to force M$ to pay through the nose for Yahoo.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #31 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

I bet that Apple has a Photoshop competitor ready for market just in case of something like a Microsoft buyout of Adobe. I don't want Apple to buy any other company - but I agree that they should put in a fake bid to force M$ to pay through the nose for Yahoo.

Then more of a reason to buy up Adobe and combine the two apps into the best CS ever written. The mere thought of Apple owning Flash, PS, and PDF makes me tingle. The could also take the good parts of Aperture, the good parts of Lightroom and combine them to make a "killer app".
post #32 of 89
Quote:

They most certainly were opened. I've read some bizarre things on the internet but I never thought I'd read something so "back-asswards" as that without an attending " j/k" or some laughing emoticon. I sometimes forget that a rudimentary education isn't a prerequisite for using the internet.

Thats an awfully biting comment to make without anything to back it up. Would you like me to explain it to you more slowly?
post #33 of 89
Quote:

Then more of a reason to buy up Adobe and combine the two apps into the best CS ever written. The mere thought of Apple owning Flash, PS, and PDF makes me tingle.

Does sound enticing. I say take the apps and gut them over the next 5 years.

Yahoo becomes the portal to go to for Web 2.0 and HTML 5/WHATWG hotness. For Adobe you go deep into the bowels of the apps and insert a unified core that is heavily threaded for total responsiveness. You then build out leveraging the GPU when you can for the heavy lifting and stellar interaction between the applications.

Then you take over the world.
- SolipsismX
- SolipsismX
post #34 of 89
Quote:

If anything they should be looking at the purchase of a phone company

As for a PS replacement here's hoping. Of course, no replacement is needed if they purchase Adobe, and this makes a bit more sense.

Why mess with Yahoo, when you seem to be getting along with Google, unless or course, this getting along is costing them dearly?

Skip
post #35 of 89
Quote:

Perhaps they do. But PS is very entrenched in it's market.

It will be difficult for anybody to unseat PS in that arena.
post #36 of 89
Suicide in a buyout scenario.

Intelligent and constructive in a partnership/investment scenario.
post #37 of 89
Phase 1. Buy Yahoo

Phase 2. ????

Phase 3. Profit!
post #38 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by TednDi View Post

Phase 1. Buy Yahoo

Phase 2. ????

Phase 3. Profit!

Phase 2. And then a miracle occurs.

post #39 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by macFanDave View Post

Letting Microsoft blow almost ALL of their cash for a dying company would be one of the best things that could happen for Apple.

How much cash does MSFT have?
post #40 of 89
Apple buying Yahoo is just not going to happen, makes for a great rumour though

Yahoo understand search whereas M$ do not, so you can guarantee if they buy Yahoo, they'll fiddle with it, break it and it'll be back to square one. They'll then try to buy Google.

If Yahoo can't beat Google then M$ have no chance.

Just shows you when you have Zillions in the bank you really start to believe your own BS.

M$ tries to bury anybody it can't buy, Apple and Google are a few which spring to mind but they've failed.

Apple and Google have one main ingredient that M$ have never had, their cool brands. Google buys YouTube it's still cool, M$ buy Yahoo and rename it DownTheTube.
A reputation is not built upon the restful domain of one's comfort zone; it is made out of stalwart exposition of your core beliefs, for all challenges to disprove them as irrelevant hubris.- Berp...
A reputation is not built upon the restful domain of one's comfort zone; it is made out of stalwart exposition of your core beliefs, for all challenges to disprove them as irrelevant hubris.- Berp...
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple among those considering rival bid for Yahoo?