or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Macbook Pro Update Date?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Macbook Pro Update Date?

post #1 of 115
Thread Starter 
I know that it is basically impossible to predict when Apple is going to release something, but evidently some of the AI Members are able to get information that the rest of us are not privy to until they share it with us.

So, does anyone have any additional info as far as the date is concerned?
post #2 of 115
Tomorrow! Super Tuesday! Republicans! Democrats! Al Gore! Apple!



In my head, Steve Armitage is shouting these...
post #3 of 115
Today
post #4 of 115
Doubtful

Today would be too useful for me...

I expect the date will be:
Code:

now() + days_till_I_give_up() + 1;



So based on that I reckon about 1st March (I plan to order a new laptop before the end of Feb).
post #5 of 115
Looks like today. The Apple Store is down.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
post #6 of 115
WOW please LET IT BE LET IT BE.........
post #7 of 115
Nope, back up and nuthin'.

Disappointment as usual.

Hasn't Penryn mobile been shipping in computers for 2 weeks already? I'm sure I read some dates for shipping were 23rd January.
post #8 of 115
Oh how I am hopeful..

but for me, the Apple Store is working..
post #9 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnathan View Post

Oh how I am hopeful..

but for me, the Apple Store is working..

Apple Adds New iPhone & iPod touch Models

Quote:
Customers whod like to carry more music, photos, and videos with them now have new models of iPhone and iPod touch with double the memory from which to choose. The revolutionary iPhone now comes in a new 16GB model for $499. It joins the 8GB model for $399. And the iPod touch now comes in a new 32GB model for $499. It joins the 16GB and 8GB models for $399 and $299, respectively. [Feb 05, 2008]
post #10 of 115
New 16GB iPhone. New 32GB iTouch. $499 each.
post #11 of 115
Probably the reason I didn't notice. Canada Store + not currently caring about iPhone/iPod Touch.
MacBook Pro PLEASE!
post #12 of 115
Thread Starter 
DAMN IT! How much longer could it possibly take? According to another thread here in Future Hardware, the new Macbook Pro was ready to launch the same day as the Macbook Air, but was not launched because Intel did not have enough Penryn chips ready for Apple to be able to keep up with the demands. How much longer could they possibly take? Seriously! I am starting to get pissed, which is ridiculous, but I REALLY NEED A NEW LAPTOP. But I refuse to buy a new machine when we are so close to an update.
post #13 of 115
I reported in a previous thread that the case design of the MBP WILL be changed when it is updated. Details are still unclear, but while the basic footprint is expected to be the same as it is now, the new model should include the new MBA keyboard, gesture touchpad and longer battery life.

It may well be that Apple is waiting for the new Centrino Montevina mobile chipset to launch before releasing a new MacBook Pro. The packaging benefits of Montevia it a natural choice.

Although Penryn chips are available now, the relative performance upgrade of Penryn alone without the Montevino board plus seems to be quite limited. Therefore, Apple may forego any kind of short-term update to the existing MBP and simply offer a brand new version with both a redesigned case and Montevina as soon as the new chipset is available.

If Apple does this, then we won't see a revised MacBook Pro until May, i.e. not for another 12 weeks. The fact that Apple has released a 16Gb iPhone today and no new MBP suggests that this is exactly what they will do.
post #14 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by opnsource View Post

I REALLY NEED A NEW LAPTOP. But I refuse to buy a new machine when we are so close to an update.

same problem I am having.
post #15 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebeat View Post

same problem I am having.

My current laptop is over 3 years old... PowerBook G4. I have a new iMac desk top 2GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo and of course an iPhone. I really like the Mac Air but not for my only computer. I did away with the desk top at home and when doing spreadsheets or just want a bigger screen, I have the 23" Apple display. Recently I notice how slow my PowerBook is when compared to by wife's new MacBook. After I purchase a new MacBook Pro I would also like to purchase a Mac Air for travel but not interested in that for my only home computer. So APPLE give me a new MacBook Pro and I will buy 2 new computers!!!!
post #16 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arimus View Post

Doubtful

Today would be too useful for me...

I expect the date will be:
Code:

now() + days_till_I_give_up() + 1;



So based on that I reckon about 1st March (I plan to order a new laptop before the end of Feb).

If you're not willing to wait until the end of March, you might as well buy now: at least you will get two useful months out of the computer. If you don't really need to update now, then wait.
post #17 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton View Post

If you're not willing to wait until the end of March, you might as well buy now: at least you will get two useful months out of the computer. If you don't really need to update now, then wait.


I need a laptop now I just don't have the money until either next week or the week after (depending on when I get the nice fat cheque I'm waiting for) - and besides I could wait until the update comes out, buy one, then the day after Apple would in a fit of madness release an uber-update I just have sod all luck with my timings.
post #18 of 115
Anyone got any further updates on new specs or a release date at all??
post #19 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by opnsource View Post

I know that it is basically impossible to predict when Apple is going to release something, but evidently some of the AI Members are able to get information that the rest of us are not privy to until they share it with us.

So, does anyone have any additional info as far as the date is concerned?

maybe in a couple of weeks.. They are lowering their macbook orders.. maybe thats the sign where are waiting for. Like what they did couple of times with macbook pro, mac pro, and iMac..
post #20 of 115
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ros3ntan View Post

maybe in a couple of weeks.. They are lowering their macbook orders.. maybe thats the sign where are waiting for. Like what they did couple of times with macbook pro, mac pro, and iMac..

I am almost to the point of being REALLY pissed off. First I was told by all of my Mac Faithful friends to wait until after MWSF, just in case they did a speed bump or something of the sort. So I waited. Nothing. Then I was told by multiple people, both in person and in these forums, to wait because Apple was going to update the Macbook Pro at the beginning to middle of February. I was told by one person who claimed to be very much in the know that they would begin shipping units at the beginning of February. I sit writing this at 10:30PM EST on the 6th, and still nothing.
My outdated iBook G4 is getting sluggish during simple tasks like word processing, and I am a full time student and cannot afford to not have a solid machine, but I cannot bear the idea of purchasing a new Macbook Pro only to see a refresh happen a month later and have MAJOR upgrades (new case, new keyboard, new track pad, magnetic latch).
I finally have the money to buy the Mac of my Dreams, but cannot bring myself to do it...
Apple needs to hurry up and get these things out. Even if they forgo the case redesign and just update in internals with the 45nm Penryn and upgrade the graphics card. That would be fine with me. At least then I wouldn't feel like my machine is halfway outdated before I ever take it out of the box...
post #21 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by opnsource View Post

I am almost to the point of being REALLY pissed off. First I was told by all of my Mac Faithful friends to wait until after MWSF, just in case they did a speed bump or something of the sort. So I waited. Nothing. Then I was told by multiple people, both in person and in these forums, to wait because Apple was going to update the Macbook Pro at the beginning to middle of February. I was told by one person who claimed to be very much in the know that they would begin shipping units at the beginning of February. I sit writing this at 10:30PM EST on the 6th, and still nothing.
My outdated iBook G4 is getting sluggish during simple tasks like word processing, and I am a full time student and cannot afford to not have a solid machine, but I cannot bear the idea of purchasing a new Macbook Pro only to see a refresh happen a month later and have MAJOR upgrades (new case, new keyboard, new track pad, magnetic latch).
I finally have the money to buy the Mac of my Dreams, but cannot bring myself to do it...
Apple needs to hurry up and get these things out. Even if they forgo the case redesign and just update in internals with the 45nm Penryn and upgrade the graphics card. That would be fine with me. At least then I wouldn't feel like my machine is halfway outdated before I ever take it out of the box...

Yah, I am getting extremely pissed off as well. So many people is saying "yah just wait it out! Early Feb to Mid Feb, or at MWSF" then i keep seeing "a few more weeks, 2 more weeks, 3 more weeks, march 19th, end of April" ......... wtfffff? dudes seriously, I'm waiting one more Tuesday and I will be buying a Macbook Pro.
post #22 of 115
Suck it up! They're coming.
post #23 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by rss9791 View Post

Suck it up! They're coming.

well the best buy computers were saying feb 10 so definitely hold out til sunday!
post #24 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by rss9791 View Post

Suck it up! They're coming.

yah we've been patient for the past 6 months.
post #25 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by d0uble0se7en View Post

well the best buy computers were saying feb 10 so definitely hold out til sunday!

i'm waiting one more tuesday
post #26 of 115
Let us suppose that Apple is going to release an updated MacBook Pro with Penryn on a Santa Rosa platform instead of Penryn on a Montevina platform - which is what Sony, Toshiba, Dell, Lenovo and HP are all doing.

Guess what? No Penryn PCs have shipped yet. There was a delay due to an issue with cooling sensors.

First, PC laptops with Penryn processors were meant to ship at the end of January. Then they were meant to ship this week, but didn't. Now they're meant to ship next week.

It'll be interesting to see whether they do.

This situation would explain why there was no MBP announcement at MacWorld and why we've heard nothing since.

But if Apple hasn't announced an MBP upgrade by the time the above manufacturers have all started shipping their upgraded PCs, then it means there will be no upgrade until May.

It is as simple as that.
post #27 of 115
Is any of this good for Apple?

I've been Apple-loyal for close on 20 years now but I'm sitting here on a big wedge of cash that I'm refusing to spend on anything except a long overdue MBP overhaul. Call it bloody-minded, but I'm bored rigid. I've had three 15" TiBooks/MBPs in succession now and frankly I'd rather shell out on a re-con 12" than flash bucks on another same-old-same-old MBP with another dreary speed-bump or the Air that looks good but lacks vital functions.

I know I'm not alone and I can't help thinking that if you make your money via innovation as Apple does, the current level of consumer apathy around the MBP is a very bad thing. I never thought it would happen but I've found myself checking out other laptops and if I'm doing that as someone who loves the platform and has never bought anything but Apple machines, what are non-biased consumers doing? No one needs to spend that extra Apple premium. Where's the enticement? Right now I don't see it.
MATTE MATTERS
Reply
MATTE MATTERS
Reply
post #28 of 115
/Sigh

This really is getting to be a bind now. Combined with the fact that my MBP has just unexpectedly met with a glass of wine, it would be typical that it may be May for an update.
post #29 of 115
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue68 View Post

Is any of this good for Apple?

I've been Apple-loyal for close on 20 years now but I'm sitting here on a big wedge of cash that I'm refusing to spend on anything except a long overdue MBP overhaul. Call it bloody-minded, but I'm bored rigid. I've had three 15" TiBooks/MBPs in succession now and frankly I'd rather shell out on a re-con 12" than flash bucks on another same-old-same-old MBP with another dreary speed-bump or the Air that looks good but lacks vital functions.

I know I'm not alone and I can't help thinking that if you make your money via innovation as Apple does, the current level of consumer apathy around the MBP is a very bad thing. I never thought it would happen but I've found myself checking out other laptops and if I'm doing that as someone who loves the platform and has never bought anything but Apple machines, what are non-biased consumers doing? No one needs to spend that extra Apple premium. Where's the enticement? Right now I don't see it.

I couldn't agree with you more! I have been in the Apple fold for almost 14 years now and only looked outside of Apple's line of machines one time, and regretted it the moment I did. Since then I have been completely loyal to Apple in every way imaginable (recommending iPods to friends who were looking at Zunes, convincing my PC loving little brother to switch to the Mac, etc.). But now, for the first time in a really long time, I find myself extremely frustrated by what Apple is doing. My little brother has finally seen the light and wants to buy his first Mac and asked me for advice, and after many questions about what it would be used for and how much he was willing to spend, he picked the 15" MBP! And I told him to hold on because Apple is about to make some upgrades, and this has been almost a month now, and I fear he will loose faith.
I need a new MBP 15" also, and the only reason I haven't bought a different Macbook is there is nothing that will fit the bill. The only Macbook that has seen an update is the Macbook Air, which isn't even an update! It's a new product!
This really blows.
post #30 of 115
Okay just had a thought . . . .will the release date be the same in the UK as the USA????
post #31 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailpipe View Post

But if Apple hasn't announced an MBP upgrade by the time the above manufacturers have all started shipping their upgraded PCs, then it means there will be no upgrade until May.

It is as simple as that.

I don't follow your logic. Apple seems to act independently from what others do. They follow their own strategy on upgrades and announcements and that strategy relies on more Mac benefits than just processor speed, and with the MBP they have the capability to add multi-touch trackpads.

They are dialing back on MacBook, iPhone and iPod orders at the same time they are holding to forecasts for a good year. The MBP must play heavily in that strategy. I think they will ship an upgrade with a faster processor and multi-touch trackpad as soon as they can, regardless of what other manufacturers are doing.
post #32 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailpipe View Post

But if Apple hasn't announced an MBP upgrade by the time the above manufacturers have all started shipping their upgraded PCs, then it means there will be no upgrade until May.

It is as simple as that.

That doesn't seem particularly logical. Unless they announce it at MWSF or WWDC, almost all upgrades are available the day they're announced. There's a whole host of reasons why the other manufactures could start shipping, and Apple would be a couple weeks away.

I am 99% certain MBP updates will be out by the end of March.

Really, how many times does this pattern have to happen? Apple doesn't announce an update people want at MWSF, and then it comes sometime during February or March. In the meantime, people endlessly piss and moan and we have gnashing of teeth and rending of garments about how if Apple doesn't announce RIGHT NOW, all hope is lost.
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
Reply
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
Reply
post #33 of 115
Im new to apple and their processes. I can see why they keep everything so secret but it frustrates me at the same time. I want to purchase my first mac and make sure it is the best one i can possibly afford. After alot of dilberating i decided on a MBP but I dont want to get one if there is a big refresh coming in the very near future as it will seem like a waste of money. and it is alot of money to potentially be wasted! A fixed date would be SO useful! Does anyone know if the release date will be the same for the UK as the USA?
post #34 of 115
Typically, if it's not a brand new product, I think it's the same or within a couple weeks. I'm not completely sure though. Anyone care to confirm that?
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
Reply
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
Reply
post #35 of 115
r-41157, if you're so eager to get one JUST BUY A MBP and stop moaning - It's a great machine and you can sell it after getting a new one whenever it is released. I am waiting for the Penryns, too. But I'm patient...
MBP 15" Unibody GHz 500GB 4GB
iPhone 3GS 16GB
iPod nano black fatty 8GB
Reply
MBP 15" Unibody GHz 500GB 4GB
iPhone 3GS 16GB
iPod nano black fatty 8GB
Reply
post #36 of 115
Saschke . . . im just joining in with the debate on this thread, your obviously not. You must have a lot of time on your hands while being 'patient' if you read through this thread just to tell one individual to stop moaning. Quite a few people are moaning about all this because I expect some people are frustrated. I want to know a date so that I do not lose money, as being a student I have very little. If you have enough money to buy £1500 worth of equipment to then just sell it on a couple months down the line and lose money then thats great. ill moan as much as I see fit thank you very much.
post #37 of 115
next quarter.
post #38 of 115
r-41157, I understand the fact that you are frustrated about not knowing when the new ones are released.
Sounding harsh wasn't my intention, sorry for that. Concerning myself having "a lot of time" - thanks for the insult by the way - I am only scanning threads about MBPs right now because I want to upgrade my Core Duo MBP, too. In whining on message boards I see no point because Apple's policy about product release info has been the same for years and will most likely not change. I felt the need of stating that in the same way you have stated your discontent. Please respect that.

Being a student I understand your point about money but you can really buy one now and sell it in a few weeks for nearly the same price. Hell, you even get a big edu-discount from Apple and other distributors.
MBP 15" Unibody GHz 500GB 4GB
iPhone 3GS 16GB
iPod nano black fatty 8GB
Reply
MBP 15" Unibody GHz 500GB 4GB
iPhone 3GS 16GB
iPod nano black fatty 8GB
Reply
post #39 of 115
"a lot of time" was just an insult thrown back in regards to your comment on my "moaning". I can respect apples policies etc and also dont indulge in complaining and moaning on message boards as obviously, it gets you nowhere. I did not feel as though I was moanin, simply displaying my frustrations.

If there is no update by Feb 20th I am going to have to purchase a MBP regardless as it is going to be a nessesity after my trip to new york.

coming off topic slightly, if I were to buy and then an update came out and I wanted to sell, where would be the best place to do it?
post #40 of 115
just a quick question

penryn based notebooks available from Dell and HP?

Nov '09 | iMac 21.5" C2D 3.06 Ghz | Intel 330 240GB SSD | ATI

Sep '12| Toshiba 14" 1366 x 768! | i5 3rd Gen 6GB| Intel x25-m 120GB SSD | Win 7|  Viewsonic VX2255wmb 22" LCD
iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

Reply

Nov '09 | iMac 21.5" C2D 3.06 Ghz | Intel 330 240GB SSD | ATI

Sep '12| Toshiba 14" 1366 x 768! | i5 3rd Gen 6GB| Intel x25-m 120GB SSD | Win 7|  Viewsonic VX2255wmb 22" LCD
iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Macbook Pro Update Date?