or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › AT&T plans 3G expansion ahead of second-gen iPhone
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AT&T plans 3G expansion ahead of second-gen iPhone - Page 2

post #41 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbelkin View Post

People shout they want a flying car - you can buy one for $350k, you still want one?

People shout they want 3G but are they willing to pay $60 a month EXTRA like Sprint now?

Are they willing to accept a 2 hour battery life?

http://2aday.wordpress.com/2007/12/0...hone-going-3g/

you are rite.. lets hope ATT will keep the same rate as EDGE
post #42 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by faxthat View Post

Even if they could come out with 4G next month, developers would respond with applications to make all that bandwidth too slow by end of summer.

U.S. wireless providers make their money by giving customers only subsistence level service -- just enough to get by and stay a nose ahead of the competition. It's a sick situation in which customers' broadband needs will never be met.

We don't need a new iPhone; we need a new wireless industry.

As much as i love to get the latest tech, its gonna be too expensive and i think its gonna use a lot more battery (not too sure about that one, havent seen one..) in either case, it will be expensive
post #43 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by faxthat View Post

Even if they could come out with 4G next month, developers would respond with applications to make all that bandwidth too slow by end of summer.

U.S. wireless providers make their money by giving customers only subsistence level service -- just enough to get by and stay a nose ahead of the competition. It's a sick situation in which customers' broadband needs will never be met.

We don't need a new iPhone; we need a new wireless industry.

Finally, someone here hit it on the head!
post #44 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by ros3ntan View Post

what do you mean wireless industry? dont we have one already??

You left out the "new". That's the entire problem, the current one sucks and blows at the same time.
post #45 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofear1az View Post

Sounds good to me, so, what speeds are the other carriers currently able to reach right now. I know Sprint and Verizon have speedy networks but don't know what their d-load speeds are at.

I was already predicting that Apple's 3G phone won't happen til' early 2009 and I still stand by that.

No way it will take that long for the 3G iPhone to be introduced. June or July 2008 at the latest. Apple has to be ready for the Asian rollout (Korea, Japan and China). They'll have to be 3G ready. Whether GPS is on-board I can't be sure. Apple might as well roll GPS in because every other top handset maker will have it on their best phones. They'd better throw in at least a 3MP camera too.

Apple created a problem for itself by making the iPhone so thin. Hard to get great battery life when there's not much room for a battery.
post #46 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post

I tend to get my info directly from Nokia and SE (do they still make phones) engineers as well as Vodafone, guys in the field building the network. EDGE starts out at full power and steps down as needed. 3G amps up if needed. Also 3 G antennae are lower and the cells a bit more dense to provide better coverage.

Come to Europe, see real mobile telephony in action.
By the way, I know Steve is your hero. No worries dude.

At the end of the day, Apple could release a 3G iPhone tonight and there are very few places it would run. If it had the right radios, it would probably work here in Europe and the rest of the world. AT&T is pulling your leg with the 3G on the way song. It takes YEARS to roll out a network.

Read the article from Anandtech the previous poster gave you, and please try and stop being such a hate-filled blowhard. You may actually learn something. The Blackjack clearly uses more power while actually surfing on 3G vs EDGE. 3G seems to serve it better when it's idle, compared with EDGE. But when using the faster WiFi, the iPhone actually uses less battery than when it's using EDGE. Also, you'll find a picture where they illustrate the superior chip integration of EDGE vs 3G (which, in addition to battery life, was one of the things Steve criticized). The overall assessment was that the Apple design decisions were fairly reasonable. I know, I know, you'll still need to vent your vile spleen about how much you hate Apple and Jobs.

By the way, you misspelled your sig. "Sapporo" is is a city in northern Japan. I believe "sapro" was the prefix you were looking for.
post #47 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

You left out the "new". That's the entire problem, the current one sucks and blows at the same time.

new wireless network is it wifi or is it cellphone wireless? For wifi is really expensive, and cellphone's wireless, well.. its is expensive too, but the demand for it is higher. It takes time though
post #48 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by ros3ntan View Post

whatever your argument is, 3G takes up more battery than EDGE when used.

i am making the argument for that... did you read my post???
vista = virus inside switch to apple
Reply
vista = virus inside switch to apple
Reply
post #49 of 89
I have a 4GB iPhone and will most definitely upgrade to the 3G when it comes out. But - will my 4GB iPhone continue to work as an iPod?

Not liking the idea that the 2.5G iPhone will become useless without any service.
post #50 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by ros3ntan View Post

new wireless network is it wifi or is it cellphone wireless? For wifi is really expensive, and cellphone's wireless, well.. its is expensive too, but the demand for it is higher. It takes time though

I think what was meant was replacing the cell industry, which I would agree if that's what was meant.

I do agree with you on the WiFi part, WiFi isn't any good at coverage, it's good at short range, high speed link, that's it. The current means of extending the range of WiFi ends up being an unreliable and expensive kluge.
post #51 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by ros3ntan View Post

are talking bit or byte? there is a difference.. Bit is smaller than byte..

as you should see, if you read my post, bit!
vista = virus inside switch to apple
Reply
vista = virus inside switch to apple
Reply
post #52 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeonit View Post

1st: regarding GSM, i was talking about data services only, not voice... (and when connected to 3G your phones does everything via that cnnection, also voice. once your back on a GSM channel you will do your voice via GSM again)

2nd: roaming, if you use your home SIM-card everywhere in the world you must be pretty rich, or your company pays the horrendous bill... for people like me that are self employed and always try to save a buck or two it makes sense to have SIM card for each country you regularly travel to. i don't take my SIM-card out if i travel to that country only once... doesn't make sense economically...

1. Fair enough. It was not clear at first. I agree with you a blazillion %

2. I was talking about the iPhone being able to work on any network as long as the radio was inside. The current iPhone works on any network now (hacked ones that is), so unless Apple plans to shoot themselves in the foot, they will continue this tradition.
post #53 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdotdubz View Post

People complain about 3G, yet Wifi is much faster than 3G anyways. If you can't find a wifi signal somewhere close by, you must live in the desert!

iPhone has wifi, and the iPhone safari browser loads pages much faster on EDGE than Nokia "smart"phones load pages on 3G! What does that tell you? Believing Nokia, or the typical Apple-bashers lies now are we?

Hi mdotdubz,

Safari's browser is pretty darned fast. I give you that. It is also optimized to be so, but I will not use this as an excuse. The Opera browser on most Nokia phones is pretty darned good as well. No Nokia loving here as they do stupid things as well. By the way, I bash Apple (I have 2 MPB's, iPod Touch, iPhone, various iPods, Apple TV) when they need bashing. I feel that if I pay my money, they have to do what I want. They are working for my $, not the other way around.
post #54 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by drnat View Post

I don't care what the innards are like & if they are 20 year old designs. The use of the iPhone is what matters to me & it is vastly superior to all the many Nokia's & SE phones that I have had - 3G ones included

The functionality of the iPhone is perfect for me - faster downloads would be nice, bit doesn't affect my enjoyment & looking at internet sites is soo much better than with other phones that I am really pleased with it. This coupled with the integration with my apply computer makes it great.

In fact, I am just sitting next to a colleague who loves her iPhone that much that she has swapped her windows laptop for a 15" MBP (which she is using as I type & loves!)

3G iPhone will be nice, but hasn't diminished my enjoyment of the 2.5G version

Fair enough. In my opinion, the iPhone is more iPod than phone. My parallels to other phones was to show what the iPhone could be. For the most part it is technologically a very old phone.
post #55 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQB View Post

He asked for supporting evidence, not 'a friend of a friend told me once' BS.
Your ode to "Nokia and SE" reveal your troll status. Go back under your bridge or supply evidence, not hearsay.

You personal attack (believe me, I don't mind. Bring it on) denote you "Delta-Hotel" status.
post #56 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeonit View Post

thank you for speaking out on my behalf;-)

I do believe that I explained myself in my response to your post. If you did not read it, so be it.
post #57 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeonit View Post

your raging about Apple but believe Nokia???

real liufe tests have shown that most nokia 3G hardware empty their batteries within 2 hours! compare that to an iphone on EDGE/GPRS... my iphone normally has 50% left after 2 hours of internet on my cell providers GPRS network...

and the big testing authorities also confirm that 3G phones are empty after around 2 hours of use on a 3G network....

What real life tests are these?

The E90 will run for 36 hours using 3G/HSDPA, wifi, phoning. The N95 (8gb) 3 hours, N82 (48 hours). Are you talking earth hours here or Blartonian galactic hours. Your "real" world tests are way off.
post #58 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post

Actually, you are correct. If you remove the UI and just look at the technology, the iPhone is 3 to 4 years old. Smart marketing and not so bright customers make for rich Apple/AT&T. Go take a look at Nokia's N82 or even the N81. These are "real" smartphone, offering real functionality.

I will never buy any Nokia product anymore. I had 5 Nokia phones in a timeframe of 2 years so don't remind me on the poor quality of these phones. I just want an iPhone with 3G. Nothing else will do!
post #59 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronbo View Post

Read the article from Anandtech the previous poster gave you, and please try and stop being such a hate-filled blowhard. You may actually learn something. The Blackjack clearly uses more power while actually surfing on 3G vs EDGE. 3G seems to serve it better when it's idle, compared with EDGE. But when using the faster WiFi, the iPhone actually uses less battery than when it's using EDGE. Also, you'll find a picture where they illustrate the superior chip integration of EDGE vs 3G (which, in addition to battery life, was one of the things Steve criticized). The overall assessment was that the Apple design decisions were fairly reasonable. I know, I know, you'll still need to vent your vile spleen about how much you hate Apple and Jobs.

By the way, you misspelled your sig. "Sapporo" is is a city in northern Japan. I believe "sapro" was the prefix you were looking for.

Hey Ronda,

I go by actual test from labs. Considering I spend quite a bit of time with engineers from the equipment manufacturers. See, the engineers aren't bound by marketing stats they have to follow and parrot. The facts speak for themselves. Alot of the battery life lies in the implementation and build out of the network as well.

By the way, you assumes I spelled it wrong being as you had no idea. Most lemmings don't.
post #60 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post

Hi mdotdubz,

Safari's browser is pretty darned fast. I give you that. It is also optimized to be so, but I will not use this as an excuse. The Opera browser on most Nokia phones is pretty darned good as well. No Nokia loving here as they do stupid things as well. By the way, I bash Apple (I have 2 MPB's, iPod Touch, iPhone, various iPods, Apple TV) when they need bashing. I feel that if I pay my money, they have to do what I want. They are working for my $, not the other way around.


a browser has to be fast, how can you hold that against safari??? LOL

stupid things as well??? why do you keep on bashing apple, all your arguments so far have been discarded!
vista = virus inside switch to apple
Reply
vista = virus inside switch to apple
Reply
post #61 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post

Fair enough. In my opinion, the iPhone is more iPod than phone. My parallels to other phones was to show what the iPhone could be. For the most part it is technologically a very old phone.

your talking absolut troll... to call the iphone old... yeah right, LOL...
vista = virus inside switch to apple
Reply
vista = virus inside switch to apple
Reply
post #62 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by apple20 View Post

I have a 4GB iPhone and will most definitely upgrade to the 3G when it comes out. But - will my 4GB iPhone continue to work as an iPod?

Not liking the idea that the 2.5G iPhone will become useless without any service.

It will still have service. It will simply ride on GSM and EDGE. I to not think (God I hope not) AT&T will simply dump EDGE. Stranger things have happened though.
post #63 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post

What real life tests are these?

The E90 will run for 36 hours using 3G/HSDPA, wifi, phoning. The N95 (8gb) 3 hours, N82 (48 hours). Are you talking earth hours here or Blartonian galactic hours. Your "real" world tests are way off.

36 hours using 3G, yeah right, your outing yourself more and more as someone who has no clue... whatsoever... please stop making claims that are untrue and made up...
vista = virus inside switch to apple
Reply
vista = virus inside switch to apple
Reply
post #64 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeonit View Post

your talking absolut troll... to call the iphone old... yeah right, LOL...

You are talking out of you posterior. I said (read the words this time) technologically old. TS UI's are not new. They have been around. SE, Nokia, Samsung (can't remember the phone) have all had them. Apple has a better implementation on an old idea. No one is taking that away. Go and compare any Motorola, SE, Nokia, Samasung spec wise to the iPhone and then you may loose your "hook, line and sinker" believer status.
post #65 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdotdubz View Post

People complain about 3G, yet Wifi is much faster than 3G anyways. If you can't find a wifi signal somewhere close by, you must live in the desert!

iPhone has wifi, and the iPhone safari browser loads pages much faster on EDGE than Nokia "smart"phones load pages on 3G! What does that tell you? Believing Nokia, or the typical Apple-bashers lies now are we?

Guess you must be a US resident! Yes 3G ain't faster than Wifi but all over my country I have access to 3G not to Wifi and no I don't live in the desert. People just lock up their wifi and free acces points are very rare in Europe.

If I had the choice between 3G and a 4G iPhone I still would buy the 3G version because 3G is everywhere. EDGE might be faster on an iPhone then 3G on a Nokia but we don't have EDGE overhere and I don't plan to buy a Nokia phone so it just doesn't matter to me.
post #66 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post

What real life tests are these?

The E90 will run for 36 hours using 3G/HSDPA, wifi, phoning. The N95 (8gb) 3 hours, N82 (48 hours). Are you talking earth hours here or Blartonian galactic hours. Your "real" world tests are way off.

then talk or visit the big pc magazines that made those test, they will be really happy to entertain your delusions...
vista = virus inside switch to apple
Reply
vista = virus inside switch to apple
Reply
post #67 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post

Hey Ronda,

I go by actual test from labs. Considering I spend quite a bit of time with engineers from the equipment manufacturers. See, the engineers aren't bound by marketing stats they have to follow and parrot. The facts speak for themselves. Alot of the battery life lies in the implementation and build out of the network as well.

By the way, you assumes I spelled it wrong being as you had no idea. Most lemmings don't.

no comment.... lol...
vista = virus inside switch to apple
Reply
vista = virus inside switch to apple
Reply
post #68 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeonit View Post

36 hours using 3G, yeah right, your outing yourself more and more as someone who has no clue... whatsoever... please stop making claims that are untrue and made up...

Uhhhhh..... Do you even know what an E90 is. Obviously you don't. There is this new thing called the Internets (as said by Prez Bush). Use "The Google" and do a search for E90, N82, N81.

Stay in school and off drugs.
post #69 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post

You are talking out of you posterior. I said (read the words this time) technologically old. TS UI's are not new. They have been around. SE, Nokia, Samsung (can't remember the phone) have all had them. Apple has a better implementation on an old idea. No one is taking that away. Go and compare any Motorola, SE, Nokia, Samasung spec wise to the iPhone and then you may loose your "hook, line and sinker" believer status.

TTH...
vista = virus inside switch to apple
Reply
vista = virus inside switch to apple
Reply
post #70 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post

Uhhhhh..... Do you even know what an E90 is. Obviously you don't. There is this new thing called the Internets (as said by Prez Bush). Use "The Google" and do a search for E90, N82, N81.

Stay in school and off drugs.

2x TTH... LOL...
vista = virus inside switch to apple
Reply
vista = virus inside switch to apple
Reply
post #71 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeonit View Post

2x TTH... LOL...

You are funny.

Cheers.
post #72 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post

Hey Ronda,

I go by actual test from labs. Considering I spend quite a bit of time with engineers from the equipment manufacturers. See, the engineers aren't bound by marketing stats they have to follow and parrot. The facts speak for themselves. Alot of the battery life lies in the implementation and build out of the network as well.

By the way, you assumes I spelled it wrong being as you had no idea. Most lemmings don't.

"The facts speak for themselves" you say. They certainly do. The Anandtech article is full of facts. And I can't see where you've listed a single fact, saprobaby. I didn't think you'd bother to educate yourself before you replied, and I was right. I tried to give you the benefit of the doubt. Oh well. Your loss.

Don't you get claustrophobic living in that cramped up little world of hate? Or do you find the narrowness somehow perversely comforting? Please don't answer. It just makes me tired all over reading your troll-speak.
post #73 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeonit View Post

i am making the argument for that... did you read my post???

i meant to support you.. hahaha
post #74 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeonit View Post

as you should see, if you read my post, bit!

ok.. just making sure
post #75 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post

Hi mdotdubz,

Safari's browser is pretty darned fast. I give you that. It is also optimized to be so, but I will not use this as an excuse. The Opera browser on most Nokia phones is pretty darned good as well. No Nokia loving here as they do stupid things as well. By the way, I bash Apple (I have 2 MPB's, iPod Touch, iPhone, various iPods, Apple TV) when they need bashing. I feel that if I pay my money, they have to do what I want. They are working for my $, not the other way around.

i dont get how one browser is faster than the other.. is it depend on the internet connection? or am i missing something...
post #76 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronbo View Post

"The facts speak for themselves" you say. They certainly do. The Anandtech article is full of facts. And I can't see where you've listed a single fact, saprobaby. I didn't think you'd bother to educate yourself before you replied, and I was right. I tried to give you the benefit of the doubt. Oh well. Your loss.

Don't you get claustrophobic living in that cramped up little world of hate? Or do you find the narrowness somehow perversely comforting? Please don't answer. It just makes me tired all over reading your troll-speak.

He hasn't caught your "sapro-" slag yet. Funny
post #77 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by ros3ntan View Post

i dont get how one browser is faster than the other.. is it depend on the internet connection? or am i missing something...

The way they render the images or data. Safari is very good at this. The other browsers use SVG engines and sometimes Java. Java is pretty slow even on full-blown computers, not to mention how slow on some handhelds. A faster connection will assure higher data rates but it does not guarantee faster drawing of the images once they reach the intended device.
post #78 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronbo View Post

"The facts speak for themselves" you say. They certainly do. The Anandtech article is full of facts. And I can't see where you've listed a single fact, saprobaby. I didn't think you'd bother to educate yourself before you replied, and I was right. I tried to give you the benefit of the doubt. Oh well. Your loss.

Don't you get claustrophobic living in that cramped up little world of hate? Or do you find the narrowness somehow perversely comforting? Please don't answer. It just makes me tired all over reading your troll-speak.

You bring a 7 month article out from a guy who's job is to sell you stuff and you taut this as gospel from an expert? Yup, you got lemming all over your bone head. You stick with Stevie Boy and I will rely on the word of network designers, and engineers. They tend to only sell the facts.

As for benefit of the doubt, you don't have to give me anything. I tried to imagine that you have a shred of intellect and it seems we were both let down. No loss though. I guess it must get tiring getting beat up day after day on the way home for school and imagining that Steve Jobs makes computers just for you. Maybe you will get that invite to an Apple party where Steve will introduce you as his best friend. Now, but to your mom's basement. I am sure you have a half empty pizza and a 2 litre Diet Pepsi waiting. Soon the the puberty will pass and your voice will deepen. Then you will discover there are these wonderful things called girls.
post #79 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by quinney View Post

He hasn't caught your "sapro-" slag yet. Funny

You are almost as bad as he. There is a word: ignore. Go look it up. Obviously he is trying to tell me how I meant to spell something when he and now you have no idea what it means. Does that make you as terminally stupid as he or just uninformed?
post #80 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kephisto View Post


Ignore what sapporobaby said. Your 4GB iPhone will stop working. The iPhone is useless until activated by a two year contract with AT&T cellular service and it returns to a useless state once your contract ends. It wont take calls, play music, or do just about anything. Switching your service to another iPhone means the previous one doesnt have service. As a result, it stops working. Again, ignore what sapporobaby said.

But dont worry, apple20. When you upgrade consider giving your 4GB iPhone as a gift to a close friend, who knows it is used but well taken care of. Are they going to complain for getting a used $400 cell phone? Hey, its your friend, right? Another option is simply selling it. Since some people, like yourself, bought a 4 GB iPhone rather than 8GB to save $100 to $200 (along with other reasons), Im sure youll find someone happy to buy your 4GB iPhone for around $200.

Apple and AT&T might release a new plan in 2009 which allows users to pay a small fee, perhaps around $50 or so, and that activates the iPhone for everything but cellular service, which more or less turns it into the iTouch. I say this because, at that time, there will be over six million of us who demand our older iPhones continue to work - to some capacity. Apple20, I hope this info helps.

This certainly does help and confirms my suspicions. It is my hope that Apple realize how many people will upgrade from the original 2.5G iPhones to the 3G ones and offer the upgrade to "iTouch" functionality right then and there. Thanks!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › AT&T plans 3G expansion ahead of second-gen iPhone