or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › APPLE READ THIS - Why the iPhone is failing in Europe
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

APPLE READ THIS - Why the iPhone is failing in Europe

post #1 of 50
Thread Starter 
It's not about whether the iPhone is better than the competition. In many respects it is, of course.

What matters are the deal-breakers.

What Apple failed to understand from the getgo is that international customers expect certain features, no matter what, in a phone. Lack of just one of these would be a source of ridicule for hardcore phone users. And anyone who would drop a few hundred pounds or Euros on a phone is a hardcore phone user.

First, and most obvious, is that Apple cannot expect to sell locked phones in Europe and Asia. This is so elementary for anyone who has lived outside of the US it's shameful that Apple can't admit it. Yes, I know selling unlocked phones outside of the US will affect the US market. But that's a decision you have to face. Either accept that there will be trade-offs and unlock the European and Asian phones, or expect to see your locked phones fall short in those markets.

Second, are the features that EVERY OTHER HIGH-END CAMERA PHONE OR SMARTPHONE on the market has that Apple doesn't.

MMS
Video capture
Free games and apps (J2ME, Symbian, Win Mobile)
MIDI Ringtones
Free ringtone creation (MIDI and MP3)
Forwarding of messages
Bluetooth file transfer
Swappable battery
3G

These are features people actually USE!

If Apple wants to know why the iPhone is not meeting expectations in Europe, they just need to look at the competition, not with regard to what the iPhone does better (web browsing, multi-touch, music, video), but about the simple functions the iPhone is missing that many customers see as deal breakers.

If I can buy a Nokia or Sony Ericsson that has every feature in the above list (that I do use) for the same price as an iPhone, and is unlocked to boot, then why the hell would I use an iPhone? If I really need the features that the iPhone does better, I'll get an iPod Touch (which has the added advantage of higher capacity).

The bottom line is that there is not a single function that the iPhone does better that the iPod Touch doesn't already have.
post #2 of 50
Oh do shut up.

Please don't address posts here to Apple.
Please don't tell me your Nokia / Sony Ericsson is a better product.
If you don't like something, don't buy it.

I am European and I find the iPhone to be a simply astonishing device. I use it constantly, not because it is crammed with features, but because unlike Nokia's devices, its features actually work. That functionality makes it more valuable to me.

In my opinion, Apple got this right, Nokia got it wrong. Not just wrong, but really badly amazingly wrong. They created a clunky, swiss-army knife of compromised functions and quite possible the most terrible user-interface seen this side of 1990.

But if you feel that you can use a Nokia for more than 2 minutes without suicidal feelings, Than Good for you! Enjoy it! MMS your friends about it.

C.
post #3 of 50
Personally I think that with many many millions of S60 users and by far the biggest share of the smartphone market in the world, they are obviously doing something very very right. I've still not seen a single person with an iPhone but literally hundreds with N95s. Everywhere you turn in the UK you will see an N95 but you'll really have to hunt hard to find anyone with an iPhone. I think that speaks volumes.
post #4 of 50
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

Oh do shut up.

Please don't address posts here to Apple.
Please don't tell me your Nokia / Sony Ericsson is a better product.
If you don't like something, don't buy it.

I am European and I find the iPhone to be a simply astonishing device. I use it constantly, not because it is crammed with features, but because unlike Nokia's devices, its features actually work. That functionality makes it more valuable to me.

In my opinion, Apple got this right, Nokia got it wrong. Not just wrong, but really badly amazingly wrong. They created a clunky, swiss-army knife of compromised functions and quite possible the most terrible user-interface seen this side of 1990.

But if you feel that you can use a Nokia for more than 2 minutes without suicidal feelings, Than Good for you! Enjoy it! MMS your friends about it.

C.

You didn't read my post. I didn't say the iPhone wasn't an "astonishing device". And I credited Apple for the UI. And I have never seen a feature in a phone that "didn't work".

Now I'm not really a fan of Nokia either, I think the Sony-Ericsson interface is much better. But I'm talking about the most basic and ubiquitous of functions here that the iPhone simply does not have.

That's were Apple could improve the iPhone's competitiveness immediately and easily. By simply adding in these basic functions.
post #5 of 50
Dude,

those features jam up the slow 2.5g bandwidth. Not until ATT&T here in the states has a fully rolled out 3g network capable of dealing with those bandwidth hogging features will you see apple roll out anything like that. As for the other features Apple is due for the SDK which was announced and should roll out by the end of this month.


So:

MMS -Clogs Bandwidth.
Video capture - wait for SDK in 2 weeks.
Free games and apps (J2ME, Symbian, Win Mobile) - you will never free associated with Apple. You can get free web app games now.
MIDI Ringtones - make your own in garage band.
Free ringtone creation (MIDI and MP3) - Buy a Mac and use Garage Band.
Forwarding of messages - available on hacked iphones and probably with the SDK
Bluetooth file transfer - no file transfer yet enabled wait for SDK and disk mode enabling.
Swappable battery - not gonna happen look at current iPods and the new MacBook Air.
3G- waiting for ATT my guess is summer at the earliest
post #6 of 50
I agree with some of the points such as Message Forwarding, Video Capture and Bluetooth File Transfer but MMS is a disgraceful feature, the idea is great but the implementation is vile. It's like comparing Standard Voicemail and Visual Voicemail. You are always jumping through hoops and if anything goes wrong, the settings to correct them can be very intimidating (I understand via past suffering)

3G isn't too much of an issue either really although it would be nice when (technologically/economically) possible. As for the battery... it's a non issue for the majority of users. It goes in the 'want' instead of the 'need' category. I have had about one day out of 90 where I felt the need for a replacement battery and I consider myself to be a hardcore iPhone user. Always using the damn thing.

I, like many iPhone users have found this is the first phone where I have explored 'every' feature on the device and when more features are added i'll have already learnt the device inside out so I'll get to know all of the new features in depth too. It's one of those things Apple have always done right. They understand the balance between functionality and clutter. The balance between Form and Function.

As for the Nokia N95 argument, great ideas and great technology encased in a shit sandwich. Most people carry them because Nokia has been forced down their throat for the last ten years and they are cheapskates locked in to the 'Free' phone mentality.

Windows is full of switches and settings too, which cater to every kind of user. But it's like manual labor. That's where 'It just works' comes from. Offer the stuff people really need and focus your efforts on making them great. You can pick up the niche (diagnostic) users at a later date.

The battle continues....
5-8" MultiTouch Mini Tablet would go down a treat if you're reading!
Reply
5-8" MultiTouch Mini Tablet would go down a treat if you're reading!
Reply
post #7 of 50
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TednDi View Post

Dude,

those features jam up the slow 2.5g bandwidth. Not until ATT&T here in the states has a fully rolled out 3g network capable of dealing with those bandwidth hogging features will you see apple roll out anything like that. As for the other features Apple is due for the SDK which was announced and should roll out by the end of this month.


So:

MMS -Clogs Bandwidth.
Video capture - wait for SDK in 2 weeks.
Free games and apps (J2ME, Symbian, Win Mobile) - you will never free associated with Apple. You can get free web app games now.
MIDI Ringtones - make your own in garage band.
Free ringtone creation (MIDI and MP3) - Buy a Mac and use Garage Band.
Forwarding of messages - available on hacked iphones and probably with the SDK
Bluetooth file transfer - no file transfer yet enabled wait for SDK and disk mode enabling.
Swappable battery - not gonna happen look at current iPods and the new MacBook Air.
3G- waiting for ATT my guess is summer at the earliest

Thanks, but I'm talking about the European and Asian markets. There is plenty of 2.5G and 3G bandwidth. I'm talking about the features people expect in these markets.

And it seems your first answer is "wait for the SDK" and your second answer is "wait for 3G". That doesn't address any of my points.

I agree that if the SDK provides the solutions you mention, and if Apple is actually planning on releasing a 3G iPhone in these markets, then everything will be OK. My point was that if Apple doesn't do this, then they will see success no better than they've seen thus far in Europe, which is not what shareholders want.

My last issue is with free apps.

You say, "you will never free associated with Apple."

Do you use a Mac at all? Um... last I checked, I can get loads of free software that's compatible with OS X.

Mac - Free apps and games? Yes.
Windows - Free apps and games? Yes.
Linux - Free apps and games? Yes.
Palm - Free apps and games? Yes.
Symbian - Free apps and games? Yes.
Win Mobile - Free apps and games? Yes.
J2ME - Free apps and games? Yes.
iPhone - Free apps and games? NO.
post #8 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

I agree that if the SDK provides the solutions you mention, and if Apple is actually planning on releasing a 3G iPhone in these markets, then everything will be OK. My point was that if Apple doesn't do this, then they will see success no better than they've seen thus far in Europe, which is not what shareholders want.

Well, Apple has stated the SDK and 3G are both coming, so I don't think those ifs are very big.
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
Reply
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
Reply
post #9 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

MMS
Video capture
Free games and apps (J2ME, Symbian, Win Mobile)
MIDI Ringtones
Free ringtone creation (MIDI and MP3)
Forwarding of messages
Bluetooth file transfer
Swappable battery
3G

MIDI ringtones? What planet are you from?

All that other stuff is a US issue too. And you can make ringtones in Garageband.

Features aren't everything, just look at the iPod for proof.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #10 of 50
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

MIDI ringtones? What planet are you from?

All that other stuff is a US issue too. And you can make ringtones in Garageband.

Features aren't everything, just look at the iPod for proof.

Have you ever heard an MP3 ringtone from someone else's phone in the train and thought "oh, that's a nice ringtone?" Of course you haven't. MP3 ringtones sound like shit. It's not the proper format for a melody, and the fact that it comes out of a 1cm monaural speaker doesn't help.
post #11 of 50
"Free ringtone creation"

We already have that.

You're trying to say EVERY 'smart phone' has 3G? They dont.

Im in the UK, i have no problem with lack of MMS, email is fine, its been proven that the iPhone can record video so that's just a matter of time, i'm not bothered about the swappable battery, or bluetooth (though i'm sure updates will come which allow us to do more with it, well 'more' is the wrong word, software updates should allow us to actually USE it) and apps are coming in a few weeks.

I think it's unfair to say that the iPhone is 'failing' in Europe, even i have one!
post #12 of 50
Quote:
As for the Nokia N95 argument, great ideas and great technology encased in a shit sandwich. Most people carry them because Nokia has been forced down their throat for the last ten years and they are cheapskates locked in to the 'Free' phone mentality.

You're suggesting here that consumers are nothing more than drones who take any phone that they are given when they go and get themselves a contract. A lot of people choose the N95 because it offers a great set of features at a decent price (usually free). If these people are then shown the iPhone, and asked if they would like to stump up £269 for something which offers fewer features, you can see why the looks on most peoples faces will be 'are you kidding?'. The interface might be nice, but it's certainly not worth £269 as far as most people are concerned. They'll happily live with their 'shit' N95 if it means saving £269, and still getting a great phone.

Quote:
I think it's unfair to say that the iPhone is 'failing' in Europe, even i have one!

I guess 'failure' depends on where the goalposts were set initially, and not one of us has any idea where these goal posts are to be able to judge. All we have are 'analysts' projections on how well the phone should sell, and the subsequent 'it has failed' because it didn't reach those targets. The iPhone is certainly a very niche product in Europe, and really only for those very specifically looking for a touch screen device with a sleek interface who don't mind stumping up the steep price. For everyone else, other free phones will do the job just fine.

EDIT - As a matter of interest I asked a friend who works in CarphoneWarehouse what he thinks sells the N95. His response was the 5mp camera, GPS, and the connectivity options. iPhone has some of the connectivity going, but neither of the other two, which seem to be what UK consumers are looking for right now.
post #13 of 50
I guess we can agree the market in Europe is different from that in the US.

I for one expected the court order in Germany to sell unlocked phones wouldn't be overturned in appeal. By law in most European countries "tying arrangements" are prohibited. That's also why the European Commission keeps sueing Microsoft, I guess.

Someone mentioned that if you don't like the product, don't buy it. Sure, that's true, but... I want to buy the iPhone... I just don't want those crazy rate plans. What if you don't want to surf or download stuff? Btw, is it only me, but those things are darn expensive, no?

I do hope sales of the iPhone don't take off in Europe (and Asia). And that Apple has to abandon those tying agreements with one provider pro country (if that's possible at all). Only then will I buy an iPhone... only then will I feel freedom... and be happy!

Freeeedoooooooooooom!
post #14 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrochester View Post

You're suggesting here that consumers are nothing more than drones who take any phone that they are given when they go and get themselves a contract. A lot of people choose the N95 because it offers a great set of features at a decent price (usually free). If these people are then shown the iPhone, and asked if they would like to stump up £269 for something which offers fewer features, you can see why the looks on most peoples faces will be 'are you kidding?'. The interface might be nice, but it's certainly not worth £269 as far as most people are concerned. They'll happily live with their 'shit' N95 if it means saving £269, and still getting a great phone.

It's all about marketing though isn't it? People 'are' herded like sheep/drones when it comes to marketing (Apple are also guilty of this!!). Nokia is a mature and trusted brand in this Industry so people are inclined to get the latest and greatest Nokia because it's an easy option. The N95 has some great technology but what's the point of 3G if you get 2 hours of usage when it's switched on? It comes down to trade-offs and great functional design.

Designers have been praised in the past for magazine logos with 'cool' illegible fonts but the product isn't fit for purpose if you can't bloody read it. That's what I am trying to say.

A large number of people actually use the majority of the features on the iPhone because they are intuitive and we can forgive the lack of 3G if it gives us 5+ hours battery life instead of 2. It's a great balance.

It's the same exact reasoning as the Mac platform. If you want a feature loaded product... you're going to have to look elsewhere.
5-8" MultiTouch Mini Tablet would go down a treat if you're reading!
Reply
5-8" MultiTouch Mini Tablet would go down a treat if you're reading!
Reply
post #15 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrochester View Post

Personally I think that with many many millions of S60 users and by far the biggest share of the smartphone market in the world, they are obviously doing something very very right. I've still not seen a single person with an iPhone but literally hundreds with N95s. Everywhere you turn in the UK you will see an N95 but you'll really have to hunt hard to find anyone with an iPhone. I think that speaks volumes.

You really think that is the least bit comparable? You see more people carrying a phone that was shipping for nearly 10 months before the iPhone and can even begin to to believe that means you can judge what that means over 2-3 months sales? You're a brilliant visionary man! Brilliant I say!








or maybe not...
.
Reply
.
Reply
post #16 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

... then why the hell would I use an iPhone? If I really need the features that the iPhone does better, I'll get an iPod Touch (which has the added advantage of higher capacity).

The bottom line is that there is not a single function that the iPhone does better that the iPod Touch doesn't already have.



You have completely missed the point of the iPhone. Yes, I currently have and prefer the Palm Centro because it has phone features I prefer. And yes, I am planning on puchasing an iPod Touch, which as you have stated, does wonderful things that nothing else does. Here's the main point which you walked right over yet missed:

Do you think Apple cares if they get your $500 for an iPhone verses for an iPod Touch? No. They will sell one or the other to you whether you want to spend your money twice and buy a phone from someone else or not. The point of the iPhone is choice; the choice to only carry one device instead of two. If you want to buy and carry two, then fine, Apple will sell you a device either way.

Until you show me a device by someone else which does everything you want in a phone plus everything that the iPod Touch or the iPhone does so that you don't have to buy two, your point is moot.
post #17 of 50
Quote:
You really think that is the least bit comparable? You see more people carrying a phone that was shipping for nearly 10 months before the iPhone and can even begin to to believe that means you can judge what that means over 2-3 months sales? You're a brilliant visionary man! Brilliant I say!

It's had a quarter of a year to make inroads into the market, and I'd expect to have seen at *least* one by this point. I'd certainly seen more than one N95 three months after it went on sale, and now they are just even more popular, mostly because they have come down to being free on reasonably priced and specified contracts.
post #18 of 50
when will we see the first "fruit" of sdk iphone....how long does it take to build these programs. let's have voice dialing OK
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
Reply
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
Reply
post #19 of 50
Failure?

Not taking over the entire world-wide mobile market in less than a year is "failure"?
Those are some damn high expectations.

Some of these arm-chair CEOs make me chuckle.
post #20 of 50
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

Failure?

Not taking over the entire world-wide mobile market in less than a year is "failure"?
Those are some damn high expectations.

Some of these arm-chair CEOs make me chuckle.

No, it's not a failure. But it is failing to meet expectations. Perhaps after the SDK and 3G fix the problems and bring these basic features to the iPhone, it will stop failing.
post #21 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

No, it's not a failure. But it is failing to meet expectations. Perhaps after the SDK and 3G fix the problems and bring these basic features to the iPhone, it will stop failing.

Failing to meet expectations, don't make me laugh, because it's not meeting the expectations you have set for it, it means it's a failure.

I guess you must work at Apple to know what the expectations are for their products, they haven't reduced the amount they want to sell but already the product is a failure. One product that is only available in 4 countries in the world is all of a sudden supposed to sell out every other phone that there is.
post #22 of 50
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

Failing to meet expectations, don't make me laugh, because it's not meeting the expectations you have set for it, it means it's a failure.

I guess you must work at Apple to know what the expectations are for their products, they haven't reduced the amount they want to sell but already the product is a failure. One product that is only available in 4 countries in the world is all of a sudden supposed to sell out every other phone that there is.

Have you been paying attention to the numbers? I'm talking about Apple's expectations, not mine.
post #23 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Have you been paying attention to the numbers? I'm talking about Apple's expectations, not mine.

In what way have they failed to meet expectations, you don't know the plans they have for the phone, they will release them the phone in more countries and meet their goal or even exceed it, right now they are on track to hit their target with additional launches in different countries.
post #24 of 50
@tonton and Irleand,

You make great points. The iPhone will have problems in more mature markets such as Europe and Asia primarily due to the "locked" nature of the biz plan Apple is using. Another factor, here in FInland anyway, is the fact that ALL subscription based contracts my be accompanied by a phone with 3G. Apple offered the phone here and the operators laughed them out of their offices. I think this is a learning phase with Apple. They would be smart though and to look at how the operators work in Europe and in Asian markets. If Apple could offer unlocked phones, I am sure they would sell twice as many as they currently do.
post #25 of 50
We're not going to get into posting PMs here.
post #26 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kephisto View Post

Hey, fellow members, be careful - sapporobaby is trying for the 2008 title of "Know it all that in fact knows nothing". In the topic "AT&T plans 3G expansion ahead of second-gen iPhone", he sent me four private messages. Posted here for your amusement, just so you know his "true colors", he says he's a professional that is bound by several NDAs to build 3G networks worldwide and that all of us (especially me, ahem) better not make any mistakes. He's already called others idiots, that some of us should discover girls, and like minded statements, among other things.

The link to that topic is : http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...t=84061&page=3









Just a friendly FYI. I don't want any of you to get insulted and fall victim to a forum troll. Even bavlondon2 didnt send me insulting private messages, hehe.


Wait, didn't you just post something like this in another thread? Are you going thread to thread looking for my posts? Does that make you a tro.........?
post #27 of 50
At the end of the day Apple has chosen to concentrate on features which they think users want the most. They have indeed made usin those features a joy given the inginuity of iphones interface however they left of many things which could have made iphone more appealing to a bigger bulk of the market. At a time when we will see camera phones in the UK with up to 10 Megapixels its hard to understand why Apple only used a basic 2mp cam.

Im not going to go through every other feature missing from iphone as quite frankly ive said it all before and Apple know this better than anyone. Why else do you think they just improved the tarrifs for O2?

Apple have always been about making simple things look pretty. They have always been known to force users to use their methods or none. A good example of this is how they still force users to transfer content onto their proucts via syncing with itunes. They are never going to eat into Nokias share of the market. Nokia have a 40% share of the market. I dont have the exact figure to hand for what % of the smartphone market S60 takes up but Apple will never even come close. Nokia release a new phone almost every month. It should be clear to you all by now that iphone isnt meant to be a mass market phone. Tehcnology does come down in price eventually but you will have to wait a few years before you see Apple phones as commonly used as the rest.

I decided to hold out until a bigger capacity iphone was released and now the time has come so I should be getting mine hopefully in the next 2 weeks (although after reading about how the N96 specs were leaked on the Nokia german website I am tempted to hold out for that, or even the P5) or so however I will miss things MMS and filesharing with bluetooth. I just hope Apple addresses some of these things via firmware updates in the not to distant future.
post #28 of 50
It's much simpler than that.
Because Apple wanted the iPhone to be a high-class mobile phone.
They disabled all the features that would be attractive to chavs.

They succeeded! Boom badda bing!

C.
post #29 of 50
self - edited
post #30 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazabrit View Post

...The N95 has some great technology but what's the point of 3G if you get 2 hours of usage when it's switched on? It comes down to trade-offs and great functional design...
A large number of people actually use the majority of the features on the iPhone because they are intuitive and we can forgive the lack of 3G if it gives us 5+ hours battery life instead of 2. It's a great balance.

I have two questions:

1) The '2 hour runtime' is based on 2 hours of CONTINUOUS use is it not?

2) In those 2 hours of continuous use, can one not download many times the data that a current iPhone user can in the 5 hours of EDGE that they get?

As such, one would experience an overall similar runtime on the battery if having the same usage rates on a 3G iPhone vs. the current iPhone, with the only difference being that one doesn't need to wait three days for a website to load.
post #31 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staedtler View Post

I have two questions:

1) The '2 hour runtime' is based on 2 hours of CONTINUOUS use is it not?

2) In those 2 hours of continuous use, can one not download many times the data that a current iPhone user can in the 5 hours of EDGE that they get?

As such, one would experience an overall similar runtime on the battery if having the same usage rates on a 3G iPhone vs. the current iPhone, with the only difference being that one doesn't need to wait three days for a website to load.

Dazabrit had a point about the N95 and it's battery life. Two hours was not quite right but it would hardly last a day. One of the things that they found causing the battery life problems was that fact that some software, Fring for example left a server running in the background, and there were some other issues. Nokia redesigned the N95 and added a bigger battery. I have one of the initial N95's and can say that the battery life was pretty poor, however the new one's are quite a bit better. As far as 3G vs. non-3G usage, I did not notice a major increase in battery time but it was noticeable. I think if Apple can figure a way to increase the battery size a bit more without a major re-engineering, 3G should not be a serious issue. The bottom line is, there will be no 360 hour standby time or 24 hour usage with these high powered media devices. Battery technology is lagging behind the applicable uses unfortunately. There are some good Symbian sites that provide background info on the N95 and its evolution.
post #32 of 50
Briefly: European iPhone sales figures, insider stock transactions
January 31, 2008 - T-Mobile recently announced that it has sold 70,000 iPhones in the first 11 weeks since the device went on sale in Germany in early November.



A T-Mobile executive played down the seemingly low numbers -- France sold 70,000 iPhones in the first month -- and said "the iPhone is by far the most sold multimedia device in T-Mobiles portfolio."

In the UK, O2, the exclusive provider of the iPhone there, said that Apple's phone was its fastest-selling handset ever "by a significant margin."

Nonetheless, it appears the iPhone's high price, limited plan options, and EDGE network support, three things European customers are not accustomed to, are affecting Apple's ability to ramp up sales of the iPhone overseas.

In the UK, roughly 60 percent of mobile phone users opt for a pay-as-you-go plan rather than a subscription contract. The iPhone is only available with an 18 month commitment.

In an effort to make the iPhone more attractive in the UK, O2 earlier this week began offering additional package configurations for the iPhone, including the ability to purchase more text messages as an add-on package and lower minutes. Text messaging is more popular than calling among a significant portion of the European population.

At Macworld Expo/San Francisco on January 15, Apple CEO Steve Jobs announced Apple had sold 4 million iPhones to date, a figure that would put the lion's share of the sales in the U.S. alone.
post #33 of 50
The iphone is doomed, it's a failure and should be discountinued right away.
post #34 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

The iphone is doomed, it's a failure and should be discountinued right away.

*Laughs* Where do people get this sort of nonsense?
In what possible regard is it a failure as a product?
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone that can do him absolutely no good.
  Samuel Johnson
Reply
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone that can do him absolutely no good.
  Samuel Johnson
Reply
post #35 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kephisto View Post

Try not to take many of these posters seriously, Xian Zhu Xuande.

You're right. I wouldn't have entertained such a nonsensical discussion anyway. From a marketing standpoint the iPhone has already accomplished something which was previously unheard of in the mobile industry and everyone is benefiting from it, iPhone or not.

Apple's sales numbers can speak for themselves.

And I'll wager a large chunk of the 'missing' iPhones are placing calls in regions like Europe.
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone that can do him absolutely no good.
  Samuel Johnson
Reply
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone that can do him absolutely no good.
  Samuel Johnson
Reply
post #36 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post

Briefly: European iPhone sales figures, insider stock transactions
January 31, 2008
France sold 70,000 iPhones in the first month -- and said "the iPhone is by far the most sold multimedia device in T-Mobile’s portfolio."
In the UK, O2, the exclusive provider of the iPhone there, said that Apple's phone was its fastest-selling handset ever "by a significant margin."

Sure, for the obvious reason that most network providers hardly sell phones anymore.
If you then walk the path of a "tying arrangement" and your networkprovider is the only option to buy the iPhone... it is bound to be the most sold media device, given all others are bought through other retail stores.
The moment that the iPhone can be sold unlocked at a reasonable price, its salesfigures with O2 and T-Mobile will quickly be reduced to the level of the other devices or even worse, I fear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post

And I'll wager a large chunk of the 'missing' iPhones are placing calls in regions like Europe.

I am convinced a lot of people WANT to buy an iPhone (I for one think it's gorgious), so as a product I don't think it a failure. I guess the problem is the way it was marketed : you MUST buy a rate plan with it... A bold move from Apple... but I guess sofar it hasn't been the succes they expected (in Europe and Asia that is). But can you blame Apple for trying? They noticed what a cash cow content providing is with iTunes. What had to be the next step after music?
Hey, I was surprised the MacBook Air wasn't offered exclusively through AT&T!!
post #37 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kephisto View Post

Some, like sapporobaby, who says he's a 3G networking genius who knows everything about technology and has several NDAs, wants to claim the position of forum ambassador to their country. Ok, if they want to. They aren't going to shut down iPhone sales in their country all by themselves, no matter what they say here, hehe. Next year the iPhone will be selling at least twice as much as it is now, in every country it's released in.

Hey, sapporobaby, why haven't you sent me another private message or "school" me on advanced networks and technology? Did I violate your NDA or something? By April I'll have fiber, broadband wireless, and broadband cable going to my house all at the same time, while you implied you already had the same. Actually, right now, I have two of them, so I'm only missing fiber. Hmm, is fiber selling well in Finland too, just like in America? Oh, that's right, you want me to come up to Finland to see how real telephony and high tech networks run, right?

Considering you trolled me from thread to thread to post your "friendly" warning. In the previously "trolled" thread, I gave you the last word as you needed it, and still seem to. However in this thread I made no such promise. By the way did you go and correct yours completely erroneous statement to (can't remember the name off hand) about his iPhone being useless once the contract run out? Nope. You only gave him "great news" that I told you about. Man, I hope you are not a journalist. All of your writings are suspect. What's the word I'm looking for? Ah, yes. Plagiarism. So, I would say that class was dismissed on that issue. You got a failing grade.

Glad you will have fiber in April. Great that they have it already to many homes here in Finland and I just happen to be working here at the time to enjoy it. Oh, did I mention the entire country will have digital TV in March, as mandated by the govt. As I like to be compliant, I had mine about 2 and half years ago. It goes quite nicely with my 24 mbs ADSL. When not zooming around the Internet at home, I can still do it on my Nokia N82 at 7.2 mbs. In all fairness, I do you my iPhone as a back up phone or if I want to play some music.

Now for the NDA's. You can't violate them. Only I can, and well what would be my reason? To fill you in on what you already know from your weekly summer camps at Stevie Boy Job's? I'm sure he pulls you aside and asks your advice, and seats you at his right hand.I cordially invited you several times to prove me wrong about anything and you disguise your lack of knowledge in multi-page posts designed to obfuscate. Anyway Mr. Stoneage, when you can buy a house via MMS (yup I bought one of mine this way), or stop using checks, I will gladly welcome you to the new millennium. Until then find something I have said wrong and prove it right. You are getting quite boring. By the way, I would guess that EVERYONE (you do love your crowds. must have quite lonely as child huh....) saw you make this person, and so it will stay.
post #38 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post

You're right. I wouldn't have entertained such a nonsensical discussion anyway. From a marketing standpoint the iPhone has already accomplished something which was previously unheard of in the mobile industry and everyone is benefiting from it, iPhone or not.

Apple's sales numbers can speak for themselves.

And I'll wager a large chunk of the 'missing' iPhones are placing calls in regions like Europe.

Actually you are correct. Right now in France they are hemorrhaging unlocked iPhones. The same can be said in Germany when T-Mobile was forced to sell them unlocked for a while. People were still willing to pay 1000 Euro for them. Several small but profitable businesses have popped up selling hardware unlocked iPhone but now that a software hack has been found (last few days), you might see a huge run the local Apple shops where the iPhone is sold. AT&T is not reporting the number of pre-paid cards subscriptions with the iPhone. I have several friends that purchased their iPhones this way. Buy it, give AT&T $54, don't recharge the card, let the contract expire in 30 days, hack it, and then you have an unlocked iPhone.
post #39 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

The iphone is doomed, it's a failure and should be discountinued right away.

Wow. This is a bit of a stretch. If Apple were to sell unlocked phones in Europe, there would a great phone war. Nokia would be forced to listen to its customers and not just rest on its market share. Europeans have a different mindset I think when it comes to the iPhone. I do not think many are impressed with its technology as apart from the slick UI, internally the iPhone is rather dated from a technological point of view. I do know that many like having their videos, their tunes, the ability to surf the net, all in one package. Here the iPhone is quite good. If Apple were to make some software concessions, and add additional BT profiles the iPhone would really be hard to beat.
post #40 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

It's much simpler than that.
Because Apple wanted the iPhone to be a high-class mobile phone.
They disabled all the features that would be attractive to chavs.

They succeeded! Boom badda bing!

C.

Er yeah that must be it!



Not that im an expert on chavs but in my experience playing music through loudspeaker tend to be the only real annoying feature and correct me if im wrong but iphone does that doesnt it?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › APPLE READ THIS - Why the iPhone is failing in Europe