or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › APPLE READ THIS - Why the iPhone is failing in Europe

APPLE READ THIS - Why the iPhone is failing in Europe - Page 2

post #41 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staedtler View Post

I have two questions:

1) The '2 hour runtime' is based on 2 hours of CONTINUOUS use is it not?

2) In those 2 hours of continuous use, can one not download many times the data that a current iPhone user can in the 5 hours of EDGE that they get?

As such, one would experience an overall similar runtime on the battery if having the same usage rates on a 3G iPhone vs. the current iPhone, with the only difference being that one doesn't need to wait three days for a website to load.

I can't tell you this is the gospel truth (simply because I dont have 1st hand experience), but... there have been reports/benchmarks that show websites loading just as quickly on the iPhone as they do on competing 3G devices due to the software/OS being that much more responsive.
5-8" MultiTouch Mini Tablet would go down a treat if you're reading!
5-8" MultiTouch Mini Tablet would go down a treat if you're reading!
post #42 of 50
I think that's true, but then the speed difference between EDGE and basic 3G isn't very much. An HSDPA device such as the N95 leaves the iPhone in the dust.
post #43 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrochester View Post

I think that's true, but then the speed difference between EDGE and basic 3G isn't very much. An HSDPA device such as the N95 leaves the iPhone in the dust.

@mrochester and dazabrit. Both of you guys are spot on. Because of the nature of the iPhone and the Safari browser, images might render equally as fast as a competing Symbian device. There is a new Opera browser out that is suppose to render very fast. Couple this with HSDPA, and the iPhone will simply be out matched. While this may not matter to US iPhone users as 3G, let alone HSDPA is not fully rolled out, European users used to the higher bandwidth speeds now expect it in their mobile devices. In some countries it is even law that phones linked to subscriptions must have 3G radios installed. In terms of email reception, the iPhone is simply no match for any 3G/HSDPA device.
post #44 of 50
Sorry I was being sarcastic, I guess some people want the iphone to be failure and I told them what they want to hear.
post #45 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

Sorry I was being sarcastic, I guess some people want the iphone to be failure and I told them what they want to hear.

You bring up a good point. Actually I hope the iPhone succeeds. Nokia ( I don't include the others as they are also rans) needs competition. I have both brands of phones and there are stark contrasts between the two. I am waiting for the Nokia to release their TS UI phone, which they might debut at GSM in Spain. It is a nice device, and pretty slick. Time will tell.

If Apple can add more telephony features to the iPhone it will surely put pressure on Nokia to deliver the goods.
post #46 of 50
When phones like this are on the way its no wonder that the iphone is failing in Europe haha Apple your ego will come back to haunt you.

http://www.sonyericsson.com/x1/defau...en&lc=en&cc=US
post #47 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post

When phones like this are on the way its no wonder that the iphone is failing in Europe haha Apple your ego will come back to haunt you.

http://www.sonyericsson.com/x1/defau...en&lc=en&cc=US

OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!! Damn that had to hurt.

Nice one dude. Have you heard about Nokia's new TS UI phone? It is quite sweet looking.
post #48 of 50
That may not be out till Q1 09 now. And it wont be until maybe 3rd model that it actually rivals iphone.
post #49 of 50
What is so special about that phone ?
post #50 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post

That may not be out till Q1 09 now. And it wont be until maybe 3rd model that it actually rivals iphone.

You could be right but at least Nokia will no longer just rest on its market share. They are quite capable of delivering high quality, innovative phones when they want to. They did it with the 2110/2110i (this put them on the map), 7110, and Communicator series. I would like to see some competition in the market place as this will spur Apple to produce a more globally rounded product. The iPhone is a perfect phone for the US. Most users are not as demanding, and the market is still in its infancy. I think that whomever did their market research for Apple should be given a promotion. Also if Apple were smart, they would have someone down at the GSM Congress in Spain this week to see what the others guys are doing.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › APPLE READ THIS - Why the iPhone is failing in Europe