or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Rumor: possible Apple event brewing for late February
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Rumor: possible Apple event brewing for late February - Page 2

post #41 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdotdubz View Post

Maybe we will see Apple take the MS and Dell approach to branding and marketing! Best way to gain 80% marketshare and fill in all the niches!

Rebranded Products:
OSX Leopard Cat 10.5 eXtreme Edition XXX!
OSX Leopard Cat 10.5 Ultimate
OSX Leopard Cat 10.5 Corporate and Pro Edition
OSX Leopard Cat 10.5 Lite
OSX Leopard Cat 10.5 Lite Pro for Home Use
OSX Leopard Cat 10.5 Pro for Lite Use
...


You mean like if Microsoft had been in charge of marketing the iPod:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeXAcwriid0&eurl=
post #42 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewGavin View Post

I bet I get hammered for this, but, what does SDK stand for? as in iPhone SDK

Less bitching from us programmers that the iPhone doesn't do all we want it to do. Now we've no excuse and will just have to write the software ourselves
post #43 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by mowenbrown View Post

And I was all set to buy a 16Gig iPhone this weeekend when I picked my MBP up from getting repaired.

Should I wait?

How can I not?


The stock price is getting so pinched they might was well anounce everything for the rest of the year.

Some thoughts:

1) Just updated to 16GB iPhone so very unlikey to announce new phone.

2) Slightly underwhelming Keynote, struck me as missing one announcement that possibly got postponed at the last minute (hence those AWFUL Randy Newman songs... "takes a bite, another bite...chews...walks away...left foot, right foot...")

3) Recent delay in AppleTV software is very unusual- I suspect there is a VERY good reason for this.

4) We are all aware that SDK planned for "end Feb". Historically event needed as opposed to just Tuesday post-it, when something needs 'explaining' or a minor distortion of reality is warranted. So this would fit.

Conclusion/prediction:
-Special event.
-SDK.
-Tablet announced, as rumored, bigger than touch, due June, runs on the new Intel mobile chip (is it Montevina? I get confused with code names).
-MacBook Pros updated the Tuesday before. Just so there won't be any booing!
- Apple branded spare cleaning cloths for portable devices, only $25 for TWO!
"There, there. Your tears say more than real evidence ever could."
Reply
"There, there. Your tears say more than real evidence ever could."
Reply
post #44 of 118
New Macbook Pros
AppleTV Take 2 launch with over 1000 movie rentals available immediatly
Paul and Ringo are there to announce The Beatles entire catalogue now available on Itunes.

That's my wildguess.
post #45 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanUK View Post

Some thoughts:



Conclusion/prediction:
-Special event.
-SDK.
-Tablet announced, as rumored, bigger than touch, due June, runs on the new Intel mobile chip (is it Montevina? I get confused with code names).
-MacBook Pros updated the Tuesday before. Just so there won't be any booing!
- Apple branded spare cleaning cloths for portable devices, only $25 for TWO!

So how exactly do you come to the conclusion that a tablet is going to be released?

This has to be one of the biggest fanboy pipedreams around.

Cool, but just won't happen.
post #46 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by msantti View Post

So how exactly do you come to the conclusion that a tablet is going to be released?

This has to be one of the biggest fanboy pipedreams around.

Cool, but just won't happen.

Hey, first off, if you insist on referring to me in the perjorative sense, please use conventional spelling. I believe 'fanboi' is the preferred etymology.

Second, TUAW supremo Erica Sadun today found a reference to an, as yet unknown platform in the OSX iPhone software termed N82. This means almost nothing in and of itself but it only takes a dust particle for a snowdrop to crystallise around. It could well be a new piece of hardware in addition to the iPhone and iPod Touch that runs the OSXlite.

Third off- we know the new intel chip is coming, we all saw that piece of non-functioning plastic that look like a stretched iPhone being touted by intel a couple of months back. If they announced the iPhone 4 months before release, why not announce this one in the same time-frame?

"There, there. Your tears say more than real evidence ever could."
Reply
"There, there. Your tears say more than real evidence ever could."
Reply
post #47 of 118
Well , let''s see, we just got the$3,000 MacBookAir and the $500 iPod- so what's next a $4,000 iMac and $5,000 MacBookPro?
Seriously they need to stop the hemorrhaging fast- yesterday AAPL @ $119?????
post #48 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanUK View Post

Hey, first off, if you insist on referring to me in the perjorative sense, please use conventional spelling. I believe 'fanboi' is the preferred etymology.

Second, TUAW supremo Erica Sadun today found a reference to an, as yet unknown platform in the OSX iPhone software termed N82. This means almost nothing in and of itself but it only takes a dust particle for a snowdrop to crystallise around. It could well be a new piece of hardware in addition to the iPhone and iPod Touch that runs the OSXlite.

Third off- we know the new intel chip is coming, we all saw that piece of non-functioning plastic that look like a stretched iPhone being touted by intel a couple of months back. If they announced the iPhone 4 months before release, why not announce this one in the same time-frame?



Sorry. Fanboi. You are correct.

Its too early in the morning.

There have been rumors of a PDA of some sorts. I feel its a "fanboi" dream as well but I guess we will see.

Don't get me wrong. I would be drooling if Apple came out with a tablet, I just find it highly doubtful.
post #49 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Well , let''s see, we just got the$3,000 MacBookAir

It's base price is $1800. You just can't help yourself from making that distortion, can you?
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
Reply
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
Reply
post #50 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

It's base price is $1800. You just can't help yourself from making that distortion, can you?

If it exists then how is it a distortion?
post #51 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

If it exists then how is it a distortion?


Because $3000 is not what the vast majority of people purchasing this machine are going to pay. That's the very definition of distortion: saying something that is technically true, but removing it from its proper context to send an inaccurate message.

It'd be the same as saying "We just got the $6000 Mac Pro" Sure, I can configure one that costs that much (or much much more) but that doesn't mean that's what the consumer is typically paying for that machine.
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
Reply
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
Reply
post #52 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

Because $3000 is not what the vast majority of people purchasing this machine are going to pay. That's the very definition of distortion: saying something that is technically true, but removing it from its proper context to send an inaccurate message.

The only distortion is that it's actually $3100.
post #53 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

The only distortion is that it's actually $3100.

Still, you are choosing the most expensive model to exaggerate your point, and this statement I quoted here makes it sound like it's the only choice. Yes, you can get it at that price, but that's not the only price.
post #54 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

It'd be the same as saying "We just got the $6000 Mac Pro" Sure, I can configure one that costs that much (or much much more) but that doesn't mean that's what the consumer is typically paying for that machine.

Now that's totally distorted and warped. No where did I configure a model to inflate it to a higher price as you just have. I used the off- the- floor priceing. And if my point is that too many Apple products lately are a too high a price range, than so be it, I am certainly not the only one saying this. Apple needs to release more products that are more affordable to more people and not luxury items such as the MBA is. That's one reason why it's at $119 yesterday.
post #55 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildguess View Post

New Macbook Pros
AppleTV Take 2 launch with over 1000 movie rentals available immediatly
Paul and Ringo are there to announce The Beatles entire catalogue now available on Itunes.

That's my wildguess.

AppleTV 2 has already been delayed two weeks, they better not delay it again.

I just want to point out that several weeks ago I predicted an Apple special event releasing the SDK along with a new Touch device.
post #56 of 118
Mr. Jobs will announce his retirement and his replacement, Mr. Ballmer.
post #57 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Apple needs to release more products that are more affordable to more people and not luxury items such as the MBA is. That's one reason why it's at $119 yesterday.

One of the things investors look for from Apple is a high ASP and therefore high margins. Apple's stock price is positively influenced by the release of high-end products like the Air and the new iPod/iPhone. Whiny teenage internet posters may not be so impressed, but it's exactly the kind of thing Apple investors want to see.
post #58 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingDifferent View Post

Mr. Jobs will announce his retirement and his replacement, Mr. Ballmer.

... and then announce the new MacBookPhat!
post #59 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeSQ View Post

BTW, look for something that probably should have made it to MWSF but got pushed back due to Apple's continuing challenge getting product out the door on time. Not very profound, but certainly not worse than hearing the mini's going away.

I think you're right on that. I had a distinct feeling that something got left out of MacWorld. SJ's comment to the effect of, And this is only the first two weeks of the year, and his subsequent email to Apple employees whose Options are underwater to take a chill pill and wait just a while only reinforce this sense.

Apple's commitment to only announce when things are ready takes real discipline. "Discipline" because it's painful and hard, both financially and emotionally. But it's a commitment worth making IMHO.

As to the leaving things out, I get the same feeling about Leopard, too. They definitely had bigger plans -- plans that would have borne out, I'm sure, but iPhone turned into a bear and that meant that some Leopard features would have to wait. IMHO that was a good move. iPhone had to debut in June 07 and had to be killer.
post #60 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

... and then announce the new MacBookPhat!

Or the MacBook Ch-air...
post #61 of 118
It is amazing how folk find a way to argue about the MacBook Air even on unrelated threads! Anyway-

I mentioned earlier that something appeared to have been missed out of the Keynote and I see that a few people above agree. This theory is compounded by the delay to the AppleTV- some programmers are clearly VERY busy elsewhere.

People lament the lack of 3G/Wimax in the Air, plus the continued lack of 3G in the iPhone (although with ATandT upgrading networks, this will soon be resolved). I feel there is a gap between the Air and the iPhone/touch that is all about connectivity - something we know SJ is big on.

We know Intel were saying 'the big players' (ie Apple) will be building next-gen devices on their new low power, fast chips and I just have a feeling...

Its not about stock price either- if you have been reading FSJ, you would know that Steve-o is above all that!
"There, there. Your tears say more than real evidence ever could."
Reply
"There, there. Your tears say more than real evidence ever could."
Reply
post #62 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

...Seriously they need to stop the hemorrhaging fast- yesterday AAPL @ $119?????

Less than one year ago it was at $83... so, you've increased your value by 50% in a year? That actually seems like a pretty good investment to me.

If you bought it when it was at 180?... well, that's the game if you're doing short-term trading. Just sit back and relax for a year or so and I'll bet you come out ahead.
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
Reply
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
Reply
post #63 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by eAi View Post

For most uses, the iMac is overpowered. Being an All-in-one machine is probably an issue too - companies can't (economically) use existing monitors and they're harder to fix as they're more compact than standard workstation.

Right-on on all counts.

They're too expensive because they have wifi, bluetooth, a very nice screen, a stupid/expensive mouse, an expensive keyboard, firewire, nice speakers, a remote control, a nice video card, and a fancy industrial design. All of those are frivolous wastes of money for the corporate world. Every time a company buys an iMac, they are wasting a lot of money on all that junk that a isn't necessary for an employee to be able to send e-mail and do word processing (which is all most people really do). And if only some employees have iMacs, then that cool design and all those other nice features are just going to make other employees jealous. That is not a minor consideration in petty-but-ubiquitous office politics.

The built-in screen is just awful for corporations. It means that every time a computer dies, you have to throw out a monitor (and all that other stuff) for no reason. And it also means that every time a monitor dies, you have to throw out a computer for no reason. And it also means that if either one just needs repair, both have to be substituted until the repair is complete.

And yes, the compact design is a real minus too. It is nothing but a hinderance to a workbench that is trying to process as many computers as quickly as possible.

As for the Mac mini; except for the built-in screen, the keyboard, the speakers, and the graphics card, it has all the same detractions for business. Especially since the one thing corporate IT is likely to do is buy minimal installed RAM and then post-install more from a cheaper source. Installing RAM in a mini is not at all efficient.
post #64 of 118


Sexy!

And then they could make the new consumer MacBook also in aluminum with white (non-backlit) keys and have the aluminum cases anodized in several different colors?
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #65 of 118
An unusual number of video sources could pertain to how Apple likes to use large lcd screens (rotated vertically) for building giant iPhones. So maybe a large installment of giant iPhones?
Or maybe I'm misunderstanding "video sources"?
post #66 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Now that's totally distorted and warped. No where did I configure a model to inflate it to a higher price as you just have. I used the off- the- floor priceing. And if my point is that too many Apple products lately are a too high a price range, than so be it, I am certainly not the only one saying this. Apple needs to release more products that are more affordable to more people and not luxury items such as the MBA is. That's one reason why it's at $119 yesterday.

Fine if you don't like that, how about it's like saying "we just got the $4400 Mac Pro" That's the base mac pro with the top end processor. You're taking a premium upgrade that few will choose and characterizing it as a representative price.

That's distortion, any way you slice it.
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
Reply
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
Reply
post #67 of 118
[QUOTE=Wildguess;1212256
Paul and Ringo are there to announce The Beatles entire catalogue now available on Itunes.
[/QUOTE]

Plus the catalogue will come on a special-edition Beatles iPod; the big question is which one? My guess is a new iPod Touch that has a slightly larger form-factor than the current Touch, with two buttons on either end. Other announcements: Touch games and (if there is a tablet instead of just a wifi portable media player, Touch versions of iLife and iWork).
post #68 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

Less than one year ago it was at $83... so, you've increased your value by 50% in a year?

The real number to watch wrt AAPL is the close on April 9(?), 2007, a year previous to this year's stockholder's meeting. SJ likes to quote the year-ago price and today's price just before he headed onto the stage (provided the stock is up).
post #69 of 118
I'd say new dust cloth, version 2.0 to clean the mighty mouse.
You are coming to a sad realization, cancel or allow?
Reply
You are coming to a sad realization, cancel or allow?
Reply
post #70 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJHMH View Post

I'd say new dust cloth, version 2.0 to clean the mighty mouse.

More like blow-torch 2.0 to melt that "thing" out of existence. I'm beginning to think that's why Apple is working so hard on Multi-touch, cause they can't do mice
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #71 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by msantti View Post

So how exactly do you come to the conclusion that a tablet is going to be released?

This has to be one of the biggest fanboy pipedreams around.

Cool, but just won't happen.

I'm going to enjoy watching you squirm as you attempt to eat those words. I can see you with a bottle of ketchup in hand.
post #72 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

I'm going to enjoy watching you squirm as you attempt to eat those words. I can see you with a bottle of ketchup in hand.

What rational speculation do you have to think a Tablet will be released?

My reasoning is, since we've already had one new category device released recently Apple will not be releasing any new notebook categories for some time. Especially one that will be another expensive, secondary machine alternative.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #73 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

More like blow-torch 2.0 to melt that "thing" out of existence. I'm beginning to think that's why Apple is working so hard on Multi-touch, cause they can't do mice

Their Mighty Mouse isn't that bad.
post #74 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Their Mighty Mouse isn't that bad.

No, it's not, especially when you hold it the right way.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #75 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

What rational speculation do you have to think a Tablet will be released?

My reasoning is, since we've already had one new category device released recently Apple will not be releasing any new notebook categories for some time. Especially one that will be another expensive, secondary machine alternative.

Boo! Boo! Let us dream. I have cut up my Keynote Bingo card and turned it into a flip calender. This month is the MiniTablet/iPhone+; March is MacBook Pro; April(fools) is the xmac.
"There, there. Your tears say more than real evidence ever could."
Reply
"There, there. Your tears say more than real evidence ever could."
Reply
post #76 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

No, it's not, especially when you hold it the right way.

Actually, It's OK, but my complaints have nothing to do with how it's held.
post #77 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Their Mighty Mouse isn't that bad.

I've already had to return it 2 times over a year as the down scroll sticks and dies. I've tried cleaning it with a Qtip and Fantastic but it never scrolls down easily. Up is no problem.
Fortunately, Apple does have a great return policy.
post #78 of 118
[QUOTE=Flounder;1212451] You're taking a premium upgrade that few will choose and characterizing it as a representative price.[QUOTE]

No I am stating it as a price.
You are interpreting it as a representative price. There is a difference.
post #79 of 118
[QUOTE=teckstud;1212504][QUOTE=Flounder;1212451] You're taking a premium upgrade that few will choose and characterizing it as a representative price.
Quote:

No I am stating it as a price.
You are interpreting it as a representative price. There is a difference.

True, you are stating a price. Anyone can state a price.

You are, in addition, presenting it as representative.
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
Reply
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
Reply
post #80 of 118
Nobody has mentioned the new LED displays. Oh god, please let it be new displays. 4 years between updates is insane. I just hope they aren't stupid and make them glossy. Creative pro's need a good solution here.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Rumor: possible Apple event brewing for late February