or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple releases Mac OS X 10.5.2 Update

Apple releases Mac OS X 10.5.2 Update - Page 4

post #121 of 198
Hey has anyone got the following graphics bug that has seemed to emerge after installing the 10.5.2 update and graphics update?

Some my colours are not being shown in the same wasy as before the update, like the trash can is now a dirty looking brown/silver colour and my weather widets have the same smatering of brown over the top of the original colour. Also when I toggle the transparency on the menu bar the no transparent one is not white, its a dirty white/light brown colour.

Anyone have any ideas how to fix this?
Switched permenantly! 12/08/2006
Unibody MacBook Pro ▪ 2.66Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo ▪ 4Gb Ram ▪ 500Gb 7200rpm HD ▪ Geforce 9600M GT ▪ Wireless Mighty Mouse ▪ Silver iPod Classic 160GB ▪ Black iPhone 3GS...
Switched permenantly! 12/08/2006
Unibody MacBook Pro ▪ 2.66Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo ▪ 4Gb Ram ▪ 500Gb 7200rpm HD ▪ Geforce 9600M GT ▪ Wireless Mighty Mouse ▪ Silver iPod Classic 160GB ▪ Black iPhone 3GS...
post #122 of 198
Are recent Mac Pro owners seeing any SSE4-based performance improvement?
post #123 of 198
can anyone tell me if they are using QuarkXpress 6.5 ...on Leopard...after the new update...have you had any issues of the program taking a LONG time to open? Im sure all the Indesigners hate me already my boss likes Quark and I like my paycheck...after installing Leopard a few months ago all sorts of quirks came up.
post #124 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmac View Post

I always download and install the combo updaters. Especially now that you can't see the progress of the update with Leopard. It takes out some of the anxiety if you can see activity.

If you aren't using webkit.app go get it. It really flies on this update. Wow. Can't wait for the next Safari version!

So far so good here. Will update the iMac later this evening.

Which build of webkit are you using? One from webkit.org? I didn't want to pull a random one and find it's worse as the build every night.

If you hate it, can you uninstall and go back to the version shipping with safari (actually what version does ship with safari)?
post #125 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Thank goodness they're laying off the transparency. I think see-through can sometimes look messy.

What ARE you talking about??? Vista is georgous!!!!!
Follow me on Twitter.
Follow me on Twitter.
post #126 of 198
Dear AppleInsiders,

After installing the new update I now have a problem with Mail, the send button is not highlighted and I can't push it to send me emails!!! Have any of you had this problem too ? It's driving me nuts now and don't know what to do \

Any ideas suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

L
post #127 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerndoc View Post

90 minutes... enough time for me to go to the gym, workout for 60 minutes, and come back.

Yup, that would be a locked-up mac
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
post #128 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by LasseHoile View Post

Dear AppleInsiders,

After installing the new update I now have a problem with Mail, the send button is not highlighted and I can't push it to send me emails!!! Have any of you had this problem too ? It's driving me nuts now and don't know what to do \

Thanks in advance

L

You can always try to manually download the update from Apple and install it again. Good luck.
post #129 of 198
I have just installed the new 10.5.2 on two computers and both now have duplicate entries on the calendar items and duplicate groups. Whilst if I uncheck a calendar group it removes them in the detail, it includes them on the iPhone sync and also it is not satisfactory.

Anyone know what to do and is anyone else experiencing this problem.
post #130 of 198
Computer seemed really sluggish after the installs and reboots. (OS and graphics updates)
Couldn't figure out exactly why though. There wasn't any unusual drive or cpu activity.

Then I tried google earth to see if the graphics performance was improved. Don't know if it was though. Google earth resulted in a hard lock-up soon after launch.

Everything would most likely have been fine after another reboot. But instead I just went to bed. Which in itself is significant in my book. The first few releases of OSX were so obviously incomplete and flawed that updates were a big deal. Now though, OSX is mature enough that I don't feel compelled to stay up late installing updates.
post #131 of 198
Any new ideas on iCal?
The 10.5.2 update seems to have totally messed it up.

So far I can say the following:
1. It may be that problems occur only for people that have many calendars.
2. The 'missing' events and ToDos are actually there just invisible. They still sync correctly to my iPod and phone.
3. Deleting the ~/Library/Calendars results in rebuilding the database from the Tiger version (if you had one) that still resides in ~/Library/App Support/iCal Of course, this will be out of date for most users.
4. Deleting the ~/Library/Calendars/Calendar Cache file does not always help *at least it didn't help in my case.
5. Copying over a version of the Calendars folder from a Time Machine backup does not help.

I am currently contemplating going back to 10.5.1 and will greatly appreciate it if anyone finds a solution to this problem.
post #132 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by LasseHoile View Post

Dear AppleInsiders,

Thanks in advance

L

Go to prefs, account settings, make sure you have your SMTP server selected in outgoing SMTP server box.

HTH
What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? _(W.C. Fields)
What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? _(W.C. Fields)
post #133 of 198
No AE usb backup with time machine still? LAME.
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
post #134 of 198
This is my first mac, although I have used them some at work. I have MBP 2.16 2gig ram. After installing 10.5.2 the network seems very slow. I can't play a movie from my server, whereas before the update it would do it no problems. Anyone have similar problems or can help? Thanks!
post #135 of 198
WOW!!! I just ordered my first Mac this past weekend and I'm anxiously awaiting it's arrival. Seeing all of these posts however has me more than a bit nervous. I'm almost wondering if my long agonized over decision to finally make the switch was in error? The encouraging thing is that I haven't seen anyone post that they are fed up with Apple and going to go buy a PC to replace their Mac with.

Now I'm wondering if my new Mac will arrive with 10.5.1 or 10.5.2? I think if it arrives with 10.5.1 I'll just leave it alone for a while and see where the cards fall on the 10.5.2 upgrades. It's nice to see that a lot of people are having good luck with the update, but at the same time the volume of negative posts is discouraging.

Scott
post #136 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by svnipp View Post

Now I'm wondering if my new Mac will arrive with 10.5.1 or 10.5.2? I think if it arrives with 10.5.1 I'll just leave it alone for a while and see where the cards fall on the 10.5.2 upgrades. It's nice to see that a lot of people are having good luck with the update, but at the same time the volume of negative posts is discouraging.

For a brand new Mac you shouldn't worry about the update *there won't be any data to get corrupted.
post #137 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by svnipp View Post

WOW!!! I just ordered my first Mac this past weekend and I'm anxiously awaiting it's arrival. Seeing all of these posts however has me more than a bit nervous. I'm almost wondering if my long agonized over decision to finally make the switch was in error? The encouraging thing is that I haven't seen anyone post that they are fed up with Apple and going to go buy a PC to replace their Mac with.

Scott

Welcome to AI and the Mac community. Some sites and apps not to be missed...
http://www.macosxhints.com/ :: If you want to do somethign chances are you'll find it there
http://forums.macosxhints.com/ :: If you having a problem search here, chances are it's been answered. If not, sumbit your own question. It's the best place for assistance
http://forums.macosxhints.com/showthread.php?t=46300 :: A collection of popular apps that people can't live without.
http://perian.org/ :: This collection of codecs will let Quicktime play anything. VLC also works well but I find QT more stable than VLC and it has a much nicer interface.
http://www.tuaw.com/tag/Mac101/ :: Sister site to Engadget, the link provided is hints, tips and tricks for new Mac users. Note: If a task is more difficult and convoluted than on Windows you are probably doing it wrong.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #138 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by piwozniak View Post

Go to prefs, account settings, make sure you have your SMTP server selected in outgoing SMTP server box.

HTH

Thanks HTH, that worked :-)

Your a lifesaver

XOOOXOX
post #139 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

Computer seemed really sluggish after the installs and reboots. (OS and graphics updates)
Couldn't figure out exactly why though. There wasn't any unusual drive or cpu activity.

Then I tried google earth to see if the graphics performance was improved. Don't know if it was though. Google earth resulted in a hard lock-up soon after launch.

Everything would most likely have been fine after another reboot. But instead I just went to bed. Which in itself is significant in my book. The first few releases of OSX were so obviously incomplete and flawed that updates were a big deal. Now though, OSX is mature enough that I don't feel compelled to stay up late installing updates.

I have the same problem (running on a brand new iMac 20" with 3Gb) when I drag the windows around they lag terrible and everything seem terrible slow too!!

L
post #140 of 198
This is one of my testers... I use it for surfing at home etc.
Had a relatively fresh install of 10.5.1. Restarted the laptop before updating. Did a software update via the software updater which included the latest QuickTime.
10.5.2 booted after install.
Checked Software updater and installed the Graphics updater...

Vwalla killed Laptop... Thats over dramatic but the screen is hosed. I hear the HD and the system is running I think, but not Screen.
I'll try and log in tonight after work.
(I just deleted the part of my post where I swear in big bold letters).

All my life, I always wanted to be somebody. Now I see that I should have been more specific.
- Lily Tomlin

All my life, I always wanted to be somebody. Now I see that I should have been more specific.
- Lily Tomlin
post #141 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtIsLife View Post

I'm really dissapointed with this update. I was expecting the option to switch the translucency on and off like I saw in the 10.5.2 beta screenshots. But, what do you know? It isn't there. I was also really let down by the Leopard driver update. I assumed there would be a new graphics driver for older cards so that they could display a translucent menu bar.

That was the main reason I wanted the update so badly. So I could have all of the good crap on my G5.

Instead, all I got was dissapointment and an extremely long boot time.

The Translucency option appears to be quite capricious. It appears on my Quad 2.66 Mac Pro but not on my Quad G5 nor on my new 3.2 Octocore Mac Pro.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowser View Post

I updated this afternoon with the combo updater; got a double reboot as it installed a new kernel, and installed the graphics update afterward.

Everything is working flawlessly for me so far, and Finder seems "snappier" than with 10.5.1. I also have the Translucent Menubar option in Desktop/Screensaver prefs, which works just fine. Special effects in the finder, Dock suck, etc. all seem smoother and faster.

A word of advice to those who have yet to update; download and run the combo updater, don't do the incremental update through Software Update. You will always have more issues and problems that way. It's always been that way, back through the first updates to Tiger. Combo updaters just work better.

2.2 MacBook Pro
Stock configuration for everything.

I agree that the Combo updater is the way to go every time. I never use the incremental and, like you, find the Combo updater to be a safer way to update each time.

Six x 3.5GHz '14 MP, 64GB, 1TB PCIe, 16TB HDs
2.6GHz 6GB 17"HD LED MBP, Sony 52XBR6 HDTV
EyeTV 500, Hybrid 2G, EyeTV 3 HDTV Recorder
64 ATT iPhone 5S, 128 ATT iPad Air, 128 ATT iPad miniRetina, 16...

post #142 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Multimedia View Post

The Translucency option appears to be quite capricious. It appears on my Quad 2.66 Mac Pro but not on my Quad G5 nor on my new 3.2 Octocore Mac Pro. :??

And they all have 10.5.2 installed? I don't see how this is possible if they all have the latest Leoaprd updates.
post #143 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

And they all have 10.5.2 installed? I don't see how this is possible if they all have the latest Leoaprd updates.

I don't either. Yes I updated all three of them from 10.5.1 to 10.5.2 with the Combo Updater at the same time. It's a mystery. Can't turn off the translucency in neither the Quad G5 nor the new Octocore 3.2GHz Mac Pro. That third check box in the Desktop System Preference is simply not there.

post #144 of 198
Quote:

I don't either. Yes I updated all three of them from 10.5.1 to 10.5.2 with the Combo Updater at the same time. It's a mystery. Can't turn off the translucency in neither the Quad G5 nor the new Octocore 3.2GHz Mac Pro. That third check box in the Desktop System Preference is simply not there.

Very odd, have you tried doing the updates again?

I suggest posting this at the MacOSXHints forums for a more informed opinion and resolution.
post #145 of 198
Quote:

Maybe this could help:

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...08021118162850
post #146 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by skviki View Post

Maybe this could help:

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...08021118162850

Nice find, skviki and welcome to AI! I was scouring my system for the correct plist. I didn't think MacOSXHints would have a hint up already.
post #147 of 198
Quote:

Nice find, skviki and welcome to AI! I was scouring my system for the correct plist. I didn't think MacOSXHints would have a hint up already.

Thanks! I'm not that new to the forum, I just seemed to forgotten my login details and did a fresh registration.
A few of my observations of the updates: I updated two silver iMac 24" at work today and both seem fine. I played a bit with mine and worked for the rest of the day and it seemed ok. I tried how scrolling through a list of numerous files in finder worked and it worked smoother than before although there is still room for improvement (Tiger was smoother). The two systems seemed stable. I was worried about Fontagent Pro 4 compatibility but everything is ok. On my personal Powerbook G4 the 10.5.2 update "broke" Fontexplorer X (the app was causing other apps to crash) but the update from Linotype came later today - so that problem is solved.
post #148 of 198
Thanks for the advice there about the Combo update from apple.com

After installing the 10.5.2 update through Software Update on my PowerBook G4 I had terrible problems: everything slow, 3/4 of the apps crashing, not even starting, etc.

Then I reinstalled with the combo update (http://www.apple.com/downloads/macos...mboupdate.html) instead. Now everything's great, and like mentioned, 10.5.2 feels a bit faster.
post #149 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenny View Post

After updating to 10.5.2 can't launch iSync anymore... Does anyone have this problem?

The same happens to me, Lenny... even after launching the repair procedure in Disk Utility.
Luca
Luca
post #150 of 198
Hi Lenny, just download the 300-more MB Combo Update, launch it and... voilÃ*, iSync will work!
Luca
Luca
post #151 of 198
May I suggest you to download and launch the 300-more MB Combo Update?
It really fixes a lot of random malfunctions caused by the automatic update via Apple Software Update: hanging iSync, for example. Crashing iCal, too.
Just give it a try.

This incoherence between Apple Software Update and Combo Updates happened again during the very last Tiger updates.
Luca
Luca
post #152 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca Boccaccini View Post

May I suggest you to download and launch the 300-more MB Combo Update?
It really fixes a lot of random malfunctions caused by the automatic update via Apple Software Update: hanging iSync, for example. Crashing iCal, too.
Just give it a try.

This incoherence between Apple Software Update and Combo Updates happened again during the very last Tiger updates.

What do you mean by 300-more MB? The update was 341MB as it is.
BTW, I reinstalled iSync and now it works fine. Still don't know what the problem was...
post #153 of 198
I have been waiting for 10.5.2 to buy Leopard. I want to buy the retail Leopard DVD after Apple bumps it to 10.5.2. Does anyone know how long this might be, or how to find out?
post #154 of 198
Quote:

After installing the Graphics update and doing a soft reboot from the desktop it no longer seems to be sluggish. I can't say it's faster than, but the UI feels 'as' fast as 10.5.1.

Will do another GeekBench and Xbench test.

With the graphics update, minimize to dock seems smoother on my 24" iMac. It was smooth with Tiger, then seemed choppy starting with Leopard, but is now smooth again.
post #155 of 198
I'll second that...overall no noticeable problems for me so far...updates went smoothly on MBP 2.16 Core Duo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxotes View Post

With the graphics update, minimize to dock seems smoother on my 24" iMac. It was smooth with Tiger, then seemed choppy starting with Leopard, but is now smooth again.
post #156 of 198
I still have the problem that Help hangs. The symptons are

1. I am connected to a wfi networkg, but not loged on to the ISP and so have no IP address
2. Help go off to try to find updates/pages from the web, and fails/hangs
3. Sometimes Help opens a window on the right of the screen (where I last used it). Then suddencly it will start to open a smaller window on the left, and then not respond to any menu selection. Same happens if I use search

Oh Dear, now what's wrong?

[PS Leapard recently totally re-installed (Erase and install) and all software updates loaded...]
post #157 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Addresses issues in which some external drives are not recognized by Time Machine

Is this anything to do with the known AirPort Extreme issue? Does anyone know if this fixes it now? Or is it an ongoing issue?
post #158 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by werkable View Post

can anyone tell me if they are using QuarkXpress 6.5 ...on Leopard...after the new update...have you had any issues of the program taking a LONG time to open? Im sure all the Indesigners hate me already my boss likes Quark and I like my paycheck...after installing Leopard a few months ago all sorts of quirks came up.

Tell your boss to upgrade ! I have Quark 7.1 here, and it works like a charm.
post #159 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by werkable View Post

You mean, "all sorts of quarks came up"

Indesign rules!!
post #160 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by tink View Post

This is one of my testers... I use it for surfing at home etc.
Had a relatively fresh install of 10.5.1. Restarted the laptop before updating. Did a software update via the software updater which included the latest QuickTime.
10.5.2 booted after install.
Checked Software updater and installed the Graphics updater...

Vwalla killed Laptop... Thats over dramatic but the screen is hosed. I hear the HD and the system is running I think, but not Screen.
I'll try and log in tonight after work.
(I just deleted the part of my post where I swear in big bold letters).

Downloaded the combo updater and hooked the laptop up to my G5 in target disc mode and reinstalled the update. Everything is cruzing nice now on the 867 G4 Powerbook.

My only thought about the initial install is if the powerbook went to sleep during the installation or something. (But I don't think that was the case). ((I also verified the disc using disc utilities from the G5 (10.5.1) while in firewire disc mode with no errors prior to the update.

- Lily Tomlin

- Lily Tomlin
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple releases Mac OS X 10.5.2 Update