or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple releases Mac OS X 10.5.2 Update

Apple releases Mac OS X 10.5.2 Update - Page 2

post #41 of 198
The server version only has 3 server specific improvements

Software Update Server
Addresses an issue which could prevent Software Update Server from working properly on a system that had been upgraded from Mac OS X Server 10.4.x.

Mail Server
Addresses an issue in which Virtual Mail users were required to have short names configured in order to become active.

Password Server
Addresses an issue that could block object changes from being propagated to Open Directory replica servers.

Although on my server I now have a Time Machine icon in the menubar, This is an Advanced configuration server so Time Machine wasn't previously available/recommended, does anyone know if that has changed?
post #42 of 198
go to .... system prefs .. desktop ... on bottom
post #43 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIJG View Post

Not me. But I bet it's fairly easy to do through the command line if you Google it,

I was using an app called 'Leopaque' I can't remember where I got it from, I'm sure google can help but it sounds like this update will 'fix' the translucent menu
"Who are you going to believe, me or your eyes?"
post #44 of 198
Downloaded the Combo update from Apple's site. 343mb
No mention of the installer being for PPC or Universal.
The security update must be included, because after install, I ran Software Update and only the graphics update was listed.
Anyways, everything went well.
After initial boot, the grey screen crunched away for a while, then rebooted itself.
Graphic update went well.

System
Dual 2ghz G5 4.5g ram ATI X800 video
post #45 of 198
Leopard is universal thats why there is no mention of a PPC version
post #46 of 198
Installed just a few minutes ago on MBP 2.33. Beware that install takes a long time and appears to hang on "patching files", but ride it out, eventually it finishes and then restarts twice before going back to desktop.

Things actually seem snappier to me, but it might be psychosomatic. I really hope that the airport kernel panics where really fixed as the changelog states.

Happy Hunting!
post #47 of 198
after installing updates Time Machine doesn't even act normally. I got "preparing" for 15 minutes.
post #48 of 198
Anyone have the problem of jerky windows, dissapearing windows when they are moved around, slow jerky grid and fan movements? I'm on a 24" aluminum iMac.
thanks
post #49 of 198
They fixed the auto-reply bug, so now it actually uses the correct auto reply text, Yeah!

The stacks update is great, haven't played with much else yet, but no problems so far on two machines, an iMac and a MacBook Pro.
post #50 of 198
i'm still very puzzled that apple still hasn't provide raw file support for the Ricoh GX100 camera.

it doesn't make sense that apple is still leaving this raw file support out for so long. pity.

anyway, installation appears to have gone without any hints of hidden problems. however, my wacom table driver keeps crashing so i uninstalled the driver until i hear more about this other users' encounter.
post #51 of 198
24-inch Alu iMac

All fine for me. First restart was slow but all subsequent restarts were snappy as usual. I like the new dropdown transparency and stacks options, and appreciate that Mail doesn't crash anymore (didn't even realise it was a GrowlMail problem!). OS does not feel more sluggish to me as some people suggest - feels just the same.

Also, the Photoshop text input issues now seem to be fixed (hooray!), although it didn't fix the "blank palettes until you click on them" and the annoyingly offset slider handles (neither of which is a major issue anyway).

The other last thing I was hoping it would fix (but didn't) is the Get Info box for right-docked to-do items in iCal going off the screen (when the iCal window is near the right of the screen) instead of coming out to the left. Oh well.
post #52 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinneal View Post

Leopard is universal thats why there is no mention of a PPC version

That I knew, however, if the combo has the update for Security, and there are 2 versions for the security update, the combo must have both.
Right?
post #53 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielchow View Post

i'm still very puzzled that apple still hasn't provide raw file support for the Ricoh GX100 camera.

it doesn't make sense that apple is still leaving this raw file support out for so long. pity.

anyway, installation appears to have gone without any hints of hidden problems. however, my wacom table driver keeps crashing so i uninstalled the driver until i hear more about this other users' encounter.

I would guess it might be because Ricoh won't let them for one reason or another. Maybe licensing issues. I would contact Ricoh and voice your support of them working with Apple on this matter.

-Owl
post #54 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjustin View Post

after installing updates Time Machine doesn't even act normally. I got "preparing" for 15 minutes.

This is probably since so much has changed, its now having to prepare a massive TM backup. Sounds normal to me.
post #55 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjustin View Post

I had the long "prepare" time, but worse, in the backup, it's measuring it in kb's! Yup, an hour goes by and it's only done 73 kbs. Weird. I tried other drives... same result. Double weird.
"I used to be disgusted, but now I try to be amused."
Macbook Pro 2.2
Macbook Pro 2.2
post #56 of 198
The icon in spotlight is still wrong. When they switch to leopard they gave spotlight a big magnifying glass. If you go under Prefs/spotlight you'll see they still have the old icon there.
post #57 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzaslove View Post

I had the long "prepare" time, but worse, in the backup, it's measuring it in kb's! Yup, an hour goes by and it's only done 73 kbs. Weird. I tried other drives... same result. Double weird.

Okay, for no apparent reason it's decided to go back to normal speed (on all drives). Triple weird... but better than being slow. Go figure.
Macbook Pro 2.2
Macbook Pro 2.2
post #58 of 198
Quote:

Time machine took about 10 minutes to prepare then had a 1.3GB back up to do! seems to be running normal speed though

Havent tested mail yet to see if the smtp problem is fixed
post #59 of 198
If you are having issues do a warm restart. If that doesn't resolve it then reinstall the update from Apple download support site. Once it boots all the way up do another warm restart. If that doesn't work, then worry!
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #60 of 198
Everything seems to be working correctly for me after a few snags with the update.

1. iMac G5 -- locked up during the reboot process; had to hold down the power button to turn off the computer. Weird thing happened when I did this. The white light indicating power was on turned off after holding down the power button for 5 seconds or so. I let up the power button only to find the white screen still on with a spinning circle at the bottom of the screen. Finally, I held down the power button again and it turned off. Turned it back on and it booted without problem and installed the graphics update and rebooted, again without a problem. Everything seems to be working ok.

2. MacBook -- no problems with installation. After both updates (10.5.2, graphics update) installed, I noticed my iDisk didn't show up. So when I found it in the sidebar of the finder menu, I double clicked it. It immediately archived my iDisk and I got an error that the iDisk wasn't available. Opened up the preferences menu and found that .Mac sync'ing was turned off and iDisk sync'ing was also turned off. Back to my Mac which was previously turned off was now turned on. Weird. After a quick fix of all the settings, everything seems to be working correctly now.
post #61 of 198
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #62 of 198
Macbook Core 2 Duo - just updated and cannot access the internet wirelessly. Diagnostics says Airport and internet are a-okay. Plug in and no problems. Unplug and "you are not connected to the internet". Any suggestions?
post #63 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerndoc View Post

1. iMac G5 -- locked up during the reboot process; had to hold down the power button to turn off the computer.

How long did you give it before concluding it was hung?

Many of the latest OS X updates install stuff on the first reboot during the grey screen and then restart again - it could well be that the iMac was in this phase.

If I were you I'd:
  • Detach all external devices apart from keyboard and mouse.
  • Run disk utility to make sure the disk is OK.
  • Download the combo updater from Apple and install it again.
  • If you think it's hung at any point, wait at least 20 mins before concluding that it really is hung.
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
post #64 of 198
MBP installed and rebooted with no problems. Lovin the new 'folder' and 'list' view in stacks - cheers Apple

Initial startup of Indesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash and Dreamweaver simultaneously and took around 1m 30 secs, second try took around 25 seconds which I guess demonstrates the caching power of OSX.

Anyway, this is one happy camper
post #65 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by schnaarf View Post

Anyone have the problem of jerky windows, dissapearing windows when they are moved around, slow jerky grid and fan movements? I'm on a 24" aluminum iMac.
thanks

no. on none of my macs.
post #66 of 198
oh! did u guys mean that there is no little folder to hide all the stacks in when its minimized?

I just noticed thats new!
post #67 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akac View Post

This is probably since so much has changed, its now having to prepare a massive TM backup. Sounds normal to me.

Yeah.. mine was preparing for a long time, then says backing up 3.5GB of 3.5GB. Now it's back . Not sure why .. I did shuffle some files around on my system but they were all in folders/drives that aren't set to back up normally

Okay it finished... and had done 2 backups (12:18 and 12:28). Still no idea why the huge backup.
post #68 of 198
Quote:

no my backup is no problem.. time machine fine ..somethings not right.
post #69 of 198
Disk Utility is still reporting those SUiD files, taking much longer than it took in Tiger and not displaying the correct amount of time when doing a Permissions Verification/Repair.
post #70 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

How long did you give it before concluding it was hung?

Many of the latest OS X updates install stuff on the first reboot during the grey screen and then restart again - it could well be that the iMac was in this phase.

If I were you I'd:
  • Detach all external devices apart from keyboard and mouse.
  • Run disk utility to make sure the disk is OK.
  • Download the combo updater from Apple and install it again.
  • If you think it's hung at any point, wait at least 20 mins before concluding that it really is hung.

I had the same problem. I gave it 45 minutes, then I had to force boot it.
post #71 of 198
So far so good. My iMac is doing great and my MaBook wireless is stable without any dropped connection so far.
post #72 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdog View Post

no my backup is no problem.. time machine fine ..somethings not right.

Everything's fine now. Like the update all-around, just thought I'd mention the bit of weirdness. Stacks is much more versatile now, and I like having the Time Machine icon up on the menu bar (less windows open that way). All in all, very cool.
Macbook Pro 2.2
Macbook Pro 2.2
post #73 of 198
I always download and install the combo updaters. Especially now that you can't see the progress of the update with Leopard. It takes out some of the anxiety if you can see activity.

If you aren't using webkit.app go get it. It really flies on this update. Wow. Can't wait for the next Safari version!

So far so good here. Will update the iMac later this evening.
iPad2 16 GB Wifi

Who is worse? A TROLL or a person that feeds & quotes a TROLL? You're both idiots.....
iPad2 16 GB Wifi

Who is worse? A TROLL or a person that feeds & quotes a TROLL? You're both idiots.....
post #74 of 198
I was content with previous menu transparency and stack grid background, but will tolerate both. I just wish I could right click for dock folder contents menus and still single click for new Stack behaviors. Right now I have to pick one and I personally like stacks and the previous ability to right-click for contents.
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
post #75 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsattert View Post

No issues at all installing on 2 different machines.

I'm just a simple user and prescriber since 1986. Never, absolutely never had an issue with hardware or software.Have all registered, play by the book. Don't know how it works but it just does it's job. Still operate on 10.3.9, 10.4.11 and now on 10.5.2. machines. Spend half of my year on the North and the other half on the southern hemisphere. Have not gotten into iPhone cause of costs (in Chile buying apple is dollar x 2.3, simply unacceptable) and the still unacceptable Apple policy of NO globalization it's products on a sensitive time frame( great stimulus for hacking hard and software). Nevertheless I'm a happy man it's just simple and it always gets better and patience is always rewarding. Updates took 20 minutes to install and as usual no issues.
post #76 of 198
Wasn't until i read this thread that somebody was having problems with Time machine and i entered it to check it out did i realise that the buttons no longer have text on them, they are just blank.

I welcome the show stack as folder option, as to me the pile of files made my dock look untidy, but i think the background in grid mode is way too dark and there is something not right with the fan, seems a little pixelated to me.

I thought the option to turn off transparency of the menu bar was going to be good, but to me (having added a black bar to the top of my wallpaper as it looked odd being transparent against the opaque bar when using photoshop), its too light and I liked the transparency on the contextual menus.

No performance issues so far.
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

[17" MBP (C2D 2.4Ghz, 4GB, 10.5), 23" CD, 80GB iPod Classic, 16GB iPhone 3G]
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

[17" MBP (C2D 2.4Ghz, 4GB, 10.5), 23" CD, 80GB iPod Classic, 16GB iPhone 3G]
post #77 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlBoy View Post

I would guess it might be because Ricoh won't let them for one reason or another. Maybe licensing issues. I would contact Ricoh and voice your support of them working with Apple on this matter.

Somehow Adobe's Lightroom manages to support it.
post #78 of 198
After installing 10.5.2 I went to load windows vista I received an error saying I needed to repair windows using the install disk. After I repaired Vista, it now runs in sloooow motion. Tried to run Apple update but no luck. I then booted back into osx and ran Parallels and everything was fine. So, I once again booted Boot Camp and is was slow again.
post #79 of 198
I just want an easy way to sort book marks and a GUI way to add tabs in Safari.
post #80 of 198
Just installed 10.5.2 on a fresh install of Leopard on my iBook G4 1.33Ghz, and I'm having the exact same wireless problems I was before in 10.5.1. Won't stay connected, won't remember my password, times out when connecting.

It can't be the hardware, because it works fine in 10.4.9. I'm going to try and make my AirPort Express my wireless router again, but this is really leaving me pretty fed up.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple releases Mac OS X 10.5.2 Update