or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple releases Apple TV "Take 2" software update
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple releases Apple TV "Take 2" software update - Page 3

post #81 of 180
Quote:
Especially when many bluray discs are mpeg instead of h.264, and supposedly quite a few discs are at a bit rate that is overkill - it sounds like they're filling up the disks just because they can.

Blu-ray uses MPEG-2 and H.264/AVC. A 10-bit "uncompressed" 720 24fps 2 hour film clocks in at around 400GB. A 1080 project (which is what many people are shooting on now) can clock in around 900GB. That's the size of the final master file in those formats, as perfect as they're going to look. Now those pixels get crunched down to 25GB for an HD optical disk. For AppleTV they get crunched down to 2GB (? still not sure exactly). Trust me, there's no overkill. Even a Blu-ray disk does not compare to the original. Post facilities should offer guided tours so that people can sit in a finishing suite and see what a true HD signal on a $25,000 professional monitor looks like. It is truly amazing. Go to NAB and check out some demos. It makes your HBO HD look like VHS.
post #82 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelcruncher View Post

Blu-ray uses MPEG-2 and H.264/AVC. A 10-bit "uncompressed" 720 24fps 2 hour film clocks in at around 400GB. A 1080 project (which is what many people are shooting on now) can clock in around 900GB. That's the size of the final master file in those formats, as perfect as they're going to look. Now those pixels get crunched down to 25GB for an HD optical disk. For AppleTV they get crunched down to 2GB (? still not sure exactly). Trust me, there's no overkill. Even a Blu-ray disk does not compare to the original. Post facilities should offer guided tours so that people can sit in a finishing suite and see what a true HD signal on a $25,000 professional monitor looks like. It is truly amazing. Go to NAB and check out some demos. It makes your HBO HD look like VHS.

Blu-ray also uses VC-1. As for file size. It usuall take me about 15 minutes to DL DVD-quality rental from iTunes. That ≥480h resolution at ≥1.5Mbps. The HD rental I purchased took almost an hour. Assuming everything equal the bitrate is ~5Mbps. Here's hoping we get some solid stats soon.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #83 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

True, but isn't that widescreen 480? Not to mention that it sounds like the text would barely be readable on sdtv.

No, I have full screen 480i and I can change the menu to 16:9 enhanced. Get some bars on top and bottom just like you do when widescreen comes on regular TV but that does not bother me. Some widescreen DVDs are the same.

Text is small but if I want to read better, I just click on the item and it comes up larger along with options to preview, buy or rent etc. Not as good as widescreen TV but plenty fine until I can cut loose the funds for an upgrade.
post #84 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwt1935 View Post

No, I have full screen 480i and I can change the menu to 16:9 enhanced. Get some bars on top and bottom just like you do when widescreen comes on regular TV but that does not bother me. Some widescreen DVDs are the same.

Thanks for the info. How readable is the text?
post #85 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

Thanks for the info. How readable is the text?

See the edit on previous post. By the way, I have a 32-inch screen.
post #86 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelcruncher View Post

For AppleTV they get crunched down to 2GB (? still not sure exactly).

I can't believe an AppleTV HD 2 hour film is going to be 2GB. A 2-hour standard definition rental comes in at 1.5 GB.
post #87 of 180
Standard DVD = 1.5mbs
Blu-ray = 14-50mbs
iTunes HD Movie = 700-900k per sec

The idea of having the movie in 1080p is a joke. It wouldn't matter if it was 1080p, because with high compression you are better off having 720p in higher bitrate.

Someday we'll get 3mbs playback from iTunes, which means that only 2ghz intel dual core, will make the cut, and you'll probably have Comcast, and ISPs suing Apple for your account that gets terminated from using 3/mbs for extended periods.
post #88 of 180
..............
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #89 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by webmail View Post

Standard DVD = 1.5mbs
Blu-ray = 14-50mbs
iTunes HD Movie = 700-900k per sec

The idea of having the movie in 1080p is a joke. It wouldn't matter if it was 1080p, because with high compression you are better off having 720p in higher bitrate.

Someday we'll get 3mbs playback from iTunes, which means that only 2ghz intel dual core, will make the cut, and you'll probably have Comcast, and ISPs suing Apple for your account that gets terminated from using 3/mbs for extended periods.

Stop spreadin FUD! Standard Definition iTunes movies are at or above 1.5Mbps. To think that HD movies will cut that in half is asinine.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #90 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by webmail View Post

Standard DVD = 1.5mbs
Blu-ray = 14-50mbs
iTunes HD Movie = 700-900k per sec

The idea of having the movie in 1080p is a joke. It wouldn't matter if it was 1080p, because with high compression you are better off having 720p in higher bitrate.

Someday we'll get 3mbs playback from iTunes, which means that only 2ghz intel dual core, will make the cut, and you'll probably have Comcast, and ISPs suing Apple for your account that gets terminated from using 3/mbs for extended periods.

DVD supports up to 10Mbps. I've seen a Blu-Ray or two that gets as low as 10Mbps at times, but it varies a lot, depending on the encoding and the footage. In practice, I think Blu-Ray movies rarely exceed 30MBps for video. Standard iTunes video is at or above 1.5MBps. I don't know if anyone has any information on iTunes HD, but I gather it's probably 3.0MBps or so. As for 1080p, I think it does need to be 8Mbps to be good.
post #91 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

DVD supports up to 10Mbps. I've seen a Blu-Ray or two that gets as low as 10Mbps at times, but it varies a lot, depending on the encoding and the footage. In practice, I think Blu-Ray movies rarely exceed 30MBps for video. Standard iTunes video is at or above 1.5MBps. I don't know if anyone has any information on iTunes HD, but I gather it's probably 3.0MBps or so.

HD-DVD has a maximum of 36.5Mbps, Blu-ray has a maximum of 48Mbps.

From my very rough estimate based on the downlaod speed it looks to be about 3x faster than my SD iTunes rentals. That means about 4.5—5Mbps.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #92 of 180
BTW, this new ATV software update is fabulous! The device has suddenly become lavishly useful.
post #93 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by suhail View Post

BTW, this new ATV software update is fabulous! The device has suddenly become lavishly useful.

Definitely more useful, but the column and rows root interface isn't as slick looking as Take 1. The new intro is really slick, too.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #94 of 180
I'm liking the changes in Take-2. Ratatouille in HD looks very nice, but the 5.1 indicator did not come on my receiver during playback. Are people getting 5.1 out of the HD rentals?

Unfortunately, music videos in a playlist will still not play back one after the other.

On the whole, a nice update that needs to be refined a bit more in the 2.1 release (assuming of course, that Apple is finally going to take this device seriously and start kicking out updates).
post #95 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishan View Post

I'm liking the changes in Take-2. Ratatouille in HD looks very nice, but the 5.1 indicator did not come on my receiver during playback. Are people getting 5.1 out of the HD rentals?

Maybe you have to enable 5.1 output first? Have you had a look in "Settings"?
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
post #96 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by BocaBoy View Post

I have a Samsung DLP TV with only 1 HDMI port. I was going to buy a switcher to add an Apple TV unit, but I've read in multiple posts that there is a bug in the original Apple TV sw that keeps it from working on an HDMI switch. (Before you respond that it must the the Samsung, be assured that a lot of folks have tested this and attributed it to Apple, not the switch manufacturers.) I'd really like any info from someone who is using an HDMI switch with the new sw to see if this issue has been addressed.

Thanks!

The picture AI used above in it's press release shows the atv sitting on a switcher, so it must work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Reply
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Reply
post #97 of 180
Can you stream internet radio or video content from the internet to apple tv ?
post #98 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by jds17j View Post

I've had my AppleTV hooked up to an HDMI switch since the day it was released and it works fine. Worked perfectly with the old and new software. I haven't heard of anyone having problems with an HDMI switch and an AppleTV... I use the Monoprice 3x1 Powered HDMI switch.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...t=1#largeimage

I just got their 4:1 HDMI switcher and the thing works like a charm. Not as pretty as the XtremeMac switcher (that looks identical to, and sits under, the ATV), but no one keeps those in stock.
Monoprice, btw, is probably the best on-line dealer I've ever dealt with, and their prices are outstanding.
post #99 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Maybe you have to enable 5.1 output first? Have you had a look in "Settings"?

Dobly Digital out is enabled. During the initial startup video, the 5.1 indicator came on and it sounded awesome. I hope the Handbrake guys can figure out how to get 5.1 into ripped movies so that I can just do it myself.

Edit:
So the visualhub guys have posted a video (scroll down a few posts) that does output 5.1 doblydigital on unhacked AppleTVs. It worked like a charm on mine. They are supposedly going to release a new version tomorrow (Wednesday the 13th). The VisualHub guys seem to indicate that file format will be limited to the .mov format for now.
post #100 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I'm so glad you can spell. Sorry that you can't add anything interesting to the thread.
But we all welcome your spell check skills.

I thought it was pretty funny. But then, I'm a languageofile. No, wait...
post #101 of 180
So after all this HD rental compaining is no one gonna rent one and write a critical review to prove their point?
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Reply
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Reply
post #102 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecking View Post

So after all this HD rental compaining is no one gonna rent one and write a critical review to prove their point?

One person already said it looked nice in their thread. What we need is someone to take the HD out and check the bitrate.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #103 of 180
I don't want to rent an HD movie tonight to see but the trailers on the HD section do not look HD so I assume they are just SD. It would be nice to have the option to watch an HD trailer. If they are indeed ATV's HD standard I will be pretty disappointed. Someone who has rented an HD tell me they are not please
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
post #104 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I don't want to rent an HD movie tonight to see but the trailers on the HD section do not look HD so I assume they are just SD. It would be nice to have the option to watch an HD trailer. If they are indeed ATV's HD standard I will be pretty disappointed. Someone who has rented an HD tell me they are not please

There is a section for HD trailers of movies in theaters. Why don't you check those out.
post #105 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

720p can deliver the goods on fairly large HDTV IMO.

It's not your opinion, it's reality that people seem to forget:
the human eye at a normal viewing distance can only start to actually see the difference from 720 to 1080 on screens bigger than 55 inches.

How many people have (will have) 60 inch screens in their homes that will actually benefit from 1080? Ridiculous IMHO.

post #106 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

Can you stream internet radio or video content from the internet to apple tv ?

I do not think so, but you can stream photos.
post #107 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

There is a section for HD trailers of movies in theaters. Why don't you check those out.

OK, thanks for the tip.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
post #108 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by BocaBoy View Post

As I understand it, the problem is limited to Samsung TVs and is prevelant across all HDMI switches, even the one sold by Apple. Are you saying you have a Samsung and this switch has worked for you?

This is what I'd like to know too I have a Samsung TV and use an HDMI switch between my TW DVR, my PS3 and want to add an AppleTV to the mix. But of course don't want to pay $$$ for it if it won't work.

So from what you know, if my switch works with the Samsung TV then the AppleTV should work fine?
post #109 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by allstaruk View Post

Can anybody identify the drive device beneath the aTV in the article's photos?

http://www.xtrememac.com/xtremehd/switcher/index.php
post #110 of 180
BTW, when you're looking at a movie's description, pressing the UP button on your remote, displays the complete description.
post #111 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by suhail View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjei
Can you stream internet radio or video content from the internet to apple tv ?
I do not think so, but you can stream photos.

I do not think so, but you can stream photos.

Yes you can. I've tried this for internet radio but not for video.

In iTunes create a playlist of your radio station. Sync that playlist to your AppleTV and then play play that playlist.
What goes online stays online. What is online will become public.
Reply
What goes online stays online. What is online will become public.
Reply
post #112 of 180
Having just watched Pirates of the Caribbean HD, I can say I am very impressed by the picture quality. The SD rentals would have blockiness all over, and with the HD version it is much less noticeable. The movie is dark throughout, which gives the compression a little bit of toruble, but the bright shots look gorgeous for a couple gig rental. Movie was ready to play in about 3-4 minutes, at 2% (and pirates is 2.75 hrs long). Picture quality definitely exceeds anything Comcast puts out on their on demand. Not quite as good as say a sports HD broadcast on ESPN. Dolby digital sounded great, and the improved interface works like a charm. Haven't had time to test out streaming from multiple computers, since it doesn't look like you need to connect to them anymore (it is done automatically?), not sure how appletv will distinguish between them.

Once apple starts loading up on library titles, this thing is gunna take off.
post #113 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

My AppleID contains a space, but the on-screen keyboard for entering the AppleID doesn't offer space. The keyboard for the password does, but not the AppleID. So, no rentals for me.

Problem resolved by using the AppleID (with its spaces) obtained from synching with iTunes.
post #114 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

Problem resolved by using the AppleID (with its spaces) obtained from synching with iTunes.

That is an oversight on their part. i would have also liked to have seen a @mac.com and @aol.com on the username screen.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #115 of 180
For those with Verizon FIOS, you can start watching an HD movie 20 seconds after ordering. Much better than I anticipated. I agree with those above . . . if Apple is able to load up on the titles and promote this half as well as the iPhone, AppleTV could become a monster.
post #116 of 180
I hope they update Front Row to look like the new Apple TV. Maybe also adding the ability to rent movies directly from Front Row.
post #117 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Underhill View Post

You lucky @@//****

I live the UK and updated mine last night
post #118 of 180
Hi Apple TV 2 owners,

Can someone please get me the new Start up movie in full HD quality. It must be residing somewhere in the Apple TV. Possibly somewhere in /System/Library/CoreServices/ of Apple TV

I had managed to get the earlier one in full resolution [1280 x 720]. Desperate to get this too...
post #119 of 180
The Apple really needs bluetooth keyboard support, or let us use my iphone as a keyboard, for you tube and searching movie titles or songs it's easier to type there keyboard layout sucks on the apple tv.
post #120 of 180
Sigh, the Apple TV is such an unholy mess.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple releases Apple TV "Take 2" software update