or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › MacBook Pros running dry in the channel ahead of refreshes
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

MacBook Pros running dry in the channel ahead of refreshes - Page 2

post #41 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Posty View Post

He told me there was nothing definite, but if I were to purchase a Macbook Pro today I would have 14 days to return it. "IF" there was a new release I could exchange it without paying a restocking fee also.

The Apple Store guy would lose his job if he told you anything on or off the record. He told you store policy, nothing more and nothing less. Do not take it as a clue to the release date of the new MacBook Pro. He gave you no guarantee. He even said IF. Play it safe and wait until the announcement. You don't want to buy it and find out that the release is 15 days after your purchase.
post #42 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimzip View Post

I think he means as far as looks go, the MBP still very closely resembles the last line of powerbooks out there (PB G4). The only real difference is the I/O and the slightly less rounded corners on the MBP bezel and body.... Correct me if I misunderstood you Panu!
Jimzip

You read me right. However, just as the Dell laptops look like bathroom scales, the MacBook Pros are beginning to look like cafeteria trays to me. I'd love to see a new case.
post #43 of 168
Apple's not going to sell off ALL their MBPs, and make sure no-one returns any etc within the 10 day period.

However, if they can reduce sales significantly for a couple of weeks (which we're now in the middle of) then there'll be less people annoyed at a new release and less returns/upgrades in the 10 day period.

What I don't understand is why Apple doesn't do a slow price drop over the life of a product. Then when a new product is released, it's a boost in power and price (and the old product can be sold until out of inventory)
post #44 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panu View Post

When Apple did the switch to Intel, there was no change to the exterior, other than what was dictated by the innards. The iMacs stayed white plastic, and the MacBook Pros were identical in appearance to PowerBooks. I went to a meeting last weekend at which I had a MacBook Pro and the guy next to me had a PowerBook. Couldn't tell the difference.

The mini is the same way. Mac Pro is too save except for the extra drive slot.
post #45 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

The $3000 I have been saving for a MacBook Pro just got spent on replacing my car transmission. I hate Honda.

Nasser - that is the worst. I feel your pain.
post #46 of 168
Further evidence new ones are on the way:

I have a friend (not a friend of a friend) who had a Macbook Pro with some never-ending problems. A bad fan led to a faulty repair that led to a new case and a broken trackpad that led to a flickering backlight. Nothing major.

But my friend was handed a BRAND NEW Core 2 Duo 2.4 at the Genius Bar in exchange for a Core Duo 2.16. New warranty, the works. I wouldn't believe it if I hadn't seen with my own eyes. That was Tuesday.

Anyone else think that means new ones are mere days away?
post #47 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogzilla View Post

*loads his gun, aims and fires at the tablet topic*

I don't find that funny.
post #48 of 168
I don't really mind as long as it is with in a few weeks. Right now I have $2500 kick butt in my high yield savings account!

I would love to see the Air keyboard, a slimmer case redesign, the new processors, new track pad, and larger hard drive capacity.

If we don't see all that, no biggy, the MBP still rocks the way it is!
post #49 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I don't find that funny.

Well, I am sorry you feel that way.
The iSlate cometh
Reply
The iSlate cometh
Reply
post #50 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLienGeorgia View Post


I would love to see the Air keyboard, a slimmer case redesign, the new processors, new track pad, and larger hard drive capacity.

If we don't see all that, no biggy, the MBP still rocks the way it is!

I thought about selling my brand new MBP if a new one comes out. But I think I'll stick with this proven model that doesn't seem to have many issues. Plus the one I got runs a lot cooler than the one it replaced. I think the high heat in the other one contributed greatly to its early demise. I don't want to risk getting another hot potato.
post #51 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Posty View Post

I called our local Apple store located in New Hampshire. I asked off the record if they could tell me if I should wait because I was interested in purchasing a Macbook Pro but didn't want a newer version released days later. He told me there was nothing definite, but if I were to purchase a Macbook Pro today I would have 14 days to return it. "IF" there was a new release I could exchange it without paying a restocking fee also. If you were to purchase one tomorrow your warranty would cover you until the end of February.

I don't mind waiting, but I don't want to wait another month to get a Macbook Pro. Does anyone know what the latest "release" date is now? 18th? 19th? I'd love to at least get an idea when I should visit.

What a crock of crap - they told me that "IF" it comes out and i DIDN'T open the one i purchased within 14 days I would not have to pay a restocking fee. They said the second I break the seal on it I have to pay 10%.

I love how consistent these apple reps are at knowing their own return policies.
post #52 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by damien0013 View Post

Yeah notice that "Want it delivered by Monday, February 18th?"

Great now I'm not going to be able to sleep till Tuesday to find out this fishy business

That "Want it delivered by... ??? ...order in the next x days and y hours" link is a standard Amazon link to their overnight shipping option. It just works out that the time that screenshot was taken was still within the cutoff for Monday overnight shipping.

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

    AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

Reply

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

    AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

Reply
post #53 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post

That "Want it delivered by... ??? ...order in the next x days and y hours" link is a standard Amazon link to their overnight shipping option. It just works out that the time that screenshot was taken was still within the cutoff for Monday overnight shipping.

I guess i coincidentally chose a good day to join the forums and get excited over nothing.

Just as long as it comes out soon I'll be satisfied. I've been dying to get a bootcamped Leapard / XP x64 MCP forever since I have PC-only 64-bit enabled 3d apps that would run amazingly on it, as well as Crysis (but hopefully they push another 128 megs onto the existing 8600GT 128mb card they have on the base model - I'd get a 40% increase in overall gaming speed if the revision gets this upgrade)

Us Graphic Majors / Technicians / Gamers feel this unit finally fills our shoes correcty
post #54 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by damien0013 View Post

What a crock of crap - they told me that "IF" it comes out and i DIDN'T open the one i purchased within 14 days I would not have to pay a restocking fee. They said the second I break the seal on it I have to pay 10%.

I love how consistent these apple reps are at knowing their own return policies.

In fairness it wasn't that blunt. He told me I would need to speak to the manager beforehand about arrangements. He said in previous situations like this people were able to exchange to a newly release upgraded laptop if released within those 14 days.

He said NORMALLY if you were to purchase anything you have 14 days to return it. If opened you pay 10% restocking fee. But if it's to exchange for a newer model you don't have to pay that required fee. It's really a kick in the teeth to get something and days later unannounced they are selling a newer one.

The truth is really no matter when you buy something from Apple within a year you'll likely see an upgraded version of it. You just have to live with that.
post #55 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimzip View Post

2.6GHz! Wowzers, I remember getting a 366MHz iBook.. How times have changed...
I always love a good refresh though, maybe I'll upgrade this time? Multitouch alone would be a nice upgrade.. SSD's would be nice too.
Meh.

Jimzip

I'm sure they'll put LED displays in the full line too. I was hoping for the LEDs to trickle down to the Macbook be end 2007 but no such luck. \
post #56 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

I'm sure they'll put LED displays in the full line too. I was hoping for the LEDs to trickle down to the Macbook be end 2007 but no such luck. \

Indeed. That would be spiffy. *nods*
I like the sound of the event on the 26th too. It's been quite a year already, what else could Apple have up its sleeve?

Jimzip
"There's no time like the present, and the only present you'll never get, is time." - Me
Reply
"There's no time like the present, and the only present you'll never get, is time." - Me
Reply
post #57 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by damien0013 View Post

I guess i coincidentally chose a good day to join the forums and get excited over nothing.

Hey, I'm hoping you are right about new MBPs on Tuesday!!!!

It just that I do so much business with Amazon (three boxes with the smiley/smirk on the side this week alone!) that I'm alert to all their marketing gimmicks.

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

    AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

Reply

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

    AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

Reply
post #58 of 168
Remember that dear old Amazon site?

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-MacBook-...3141314&sr=8-1

I just thought about something...

If they're targeting overnight shipping to make it in time for monday...

Wouldn't that mean that... lets say... sunday you tried to order it... they wouldn't be able to target monday as an ETA for delivery.. only tuesday at the earliest...

Wouldn't that collide (HOPEFULLY) with the official announcement of the refresh?

Its like Sunday night you order it... tuesday you get it and that afternoon **poof** Apple announces its upgrade that you just DIDN'T get via delivery.

So "IF" amazon knows this is going to be an issue (especially if the refresh models will all be priced identically as its predecessors) should we expect.. a magical "super" rebate (To calm customers down and not end up feeling jipped) to appear once the earliest delivery ETA of its product exceeds monday?

What I'm trying to point out is what happens once that..

"Want it delivered Monday, February 18?
Order it in the next 13 hours and 32 minutes, and choose One-Day Shipping at checkout."

..Runs OUT of time?

For some reason I feel like this unique overlap will be key to finding out whether Tuesday is THE day.

Then again its almost 1:30 in the morning here in NY and i could just be a weee bit paranoid.
post #59 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by damien0013 View Post

Remember that dear old Amazon site?

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-MacBook-...3141314&sr=8-1

I just thought about something...

If they're targeting overnight shipping to make it in time for monday...

Wouldn't that mean that... lets say... sunday you tried to order it... they wouldn't be able to target monday as an ETA for delivery.. only tuesday at the earliest...

Wouldn't that collide (HOPEFULLY) with the official announcement of the refresh?

Its like Sunday night you order it... tuesday you get it and that afternoon **poof** Apple announces its upgrade that you just DIDN'T get via delivery.

So "IF" amazon knows this is going to be an issue (especially if the refresh models will all be priced identically as its predecessors) should we expect.. a magical "super" rebate (To calm customers down and not end up feeling jipped) to appear once the earliest delivery ETA of its product exceeds monday?

What I'm trying to point out is what happens once that..

"Want it delivered Monday, February 18?
Order it in the next 13 hours and 32 minutes, and choose One-Day Shipping at checkout."

..Runs OUT of time?

For some reason I feel like this unique overlap will be key to finding out whether Tuesday is THE day.

Then again its almost 1:30 in the morning here in NY and i could just be a weee bit paranoid.

that's why they won't release a refresh this Tuesday. I am assuming at the uncomfirmed Apple Event they will.. cause seriously there will be a lot of pissed off people if a refresh happens. I don't think they ever did that before, they would at least have to wait a week or 2 before they refresh after going on sale.
post #60 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebeat View Post

that's why they won't release a refresh this Tuesday. I am assuming at the uncomfirmed Apple Event they will.. cause seriously there will be a lot of pissed off people if a refresh happens. I don't think they ever did that before, they would at least have to wait a week or 2 before they refresh after going on sale.

I guess I'll just watch the amazon site like a hawk this weekend. It'll basically confirm whether we should expect it this upcoming Tuesday or the event.

:: crosses fingers ::
post #61 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by damien0013 View Post

I guess I'll just watch the amazon site like a hawk this weekend. It'll basically confirm whether we should expect it this upcoming Tuesday or the event.

:: crosses fingers ::

i wouldn't be so sure about the whole amazon thing.
MBP 15" Unibody GHz 500GB 4GB
iPhone 3GS 16GB
iPod nano black fatty 8GB
Reply
MBP 15" Unibody GHz 500GB 4GB
iPhone 3GS 16GB
iPod nano black fatty 8GB
Reply
post #62 of 168
Look even if they were to release a new MPB take a look at Apple's background. They always release promotions first, videos, tours, and make pre-orders able. If they were to "release" a new Macbook Pro you aren't going to magically see it on Tuesday. You'd only see an announcement that will notify you when it will be for sale and it's features. Apple isn't going to unannounced release a product upgrade without telling anyone. It's poor marketing, and you would upset likely everyone who just recently purchased a Macbook Pro this past month.

More than likely if they "release" anything on Tuesday it'll just be an advertisement and it won't actually be up for sale until 2-3 weeks later. I just wouldn't get high hopes for it to be released unannounced.
post #63 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Posty View Post

Look even if they were to release a new MPB take a look at Apple's background. They always release promotions first, videos, tours, and make pre-orders able. If they were to "release" a new Macbook Pro you aren't going to magically see it on Tuesday. You'd only see an announcement that will notify you when it will be for sale and it's features. Apple isn't going to unannounced release a product upgrade without telling anyone. It's poor marketing, and you would upset likely everyone who just recently purchased a Macbook Pro this past month.

More than likely if they "release" anything on Tuesday it'll just be an advertisement and it won't actually be up for sale until 2-3 weeks later. I just wouldn't get high hopes for it to be released unannounced.

Lol its just wishfull thinking guys

I know. I know.
post #64 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Posty View Post

Look even if they were to release a new MPB take a look at Apple's background. They always release promotions first, videos, tours, and make pre-orders able. If they were to "release" a new Macbook Pro you aren't going to magically see it on Tuesday. You'd only see an announcement that will notify you when it will be for sale and it's features. Apple isn't going to unannounced release a product upgrade without telling anyone. It's poor marketing, and you would upset likely everyone who just recently purchased a Macbook Pro this past month.

More than likely if they "release" anything on Tuesday it'll just be an advertisement and it won't actually be up for sale until 2-3 weeks later. I just wouldn't get high hopes for it to be released unannounced.



Welcome to the board! If Apple announces it a MWSF or WWDC, it may be weeks before it ships. However, if Apple announces it on a Tuesday, it will be available immediately. If announced at an event (other than the above), it will most likely be available immediately. That's based on history.
-JD
-- "If Apple wasn't so greedy, they would build G6's and give them away!"
Reply
-JD
-- "If Apple wasn't so greedy, they would build G6's and give them away!"
Reply
post #65 of 168
As I stated before Apple has a very smart marketing & advertising department. From a business and financial standpoint it'd be a giant mistake on Apple's part to make any new laptop; even a refresh/upgrade without making any notice. Besides financial it's upsetting to any customers who purchase a Macbook Pro now and only days later a new one is released. They're going to be overhauled in returns, exchanges, and getting rid of pre-opened/refurbished laptops. They would probably even lose profits if that was their marketing scheme. I don't know Apple's history too well, but I do recall certain items; Iphone, ipods, Leopard, etc. that were announced and had a release date; and were also able to be pre-ordered.

But, hey I could be wrong. I just would think it's laughable of their behalf to throw out a new laptop refresh with no announcement. I'm honestly trying to find a good reason why they'd spontaneously throw out a refresh without any advertising or announcement. It would be a great surprise, but they aren't known for surprises.
post #66 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Posty View Post

But, hey I could be wrong. I just would think it's laughable of their behalf to throw out a new laptop refresh with no announcement. I'm honestly trying to find a good reason why they'd spontaneously throw out a refresh without any advertising or announcement. It would be a great surprise, but they aren't known for surprises.

MacBook. It's happened.
post #67 of 168
Yay Penryn 45nm 2.6ghz 2GB (expandable to 4 or 8??) ... 8600M GT 256mb and 512mb... ??

MACBOOK AIR - ESQUE DESIGN PLEASE OHHHH PLEASEEEEEE.

I agree with the previous poster, the MacBook Pro form factor is dated. It looks and feels clunky now. I never liked the design, even th Alubook G4s.

I had a Titanium G4 back in the day. Tres sweet. Or something like that.

Obviously as full-featured as possible, with as sexay a design as MacBook Air. Penryn it and that MacBook Pro will be flying out the door.

8700M GT as a graphics card and I will flush my PC down the toilet!! Games and Mac and everything yay!

Okay... calm down... calm down.

OH THE INSANITY
post #68 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Posty View Post

As I stated before Apple has a very smart marketing & advertising department. From a business and financial standpoint it'd be a giant mistake on Apple's part to make any new laptop; even a refresh/upgrade without making any notice. Besides financial it's upsetting to any customers who purchase a Macbook Pro now and only days later a new one is released. They're going to be overhauled in returns, exchanges, and getting rid of pre-opened/refurbished laptops. They would probably even lose profits if that was their marketing scheme. I don't know Apple's history too well, but I do recall certain items; Iphone, ipods, Leopard, etc. that were announced and had a release date; and were also able to be pre-ordered.

But, hey I could be wrong. I just would think it's laughable of their behalf to throw out a new laptop refresh with no announcement. I'm honestly trying to find a good reason why they'd spontaneously throw out a refresh without any advertising or announcement. It would be a great surprise, but they aren't known for surprises.

Umm.. isn't there a rumoured end of jasdhkj wjhd

oops... sorry cat on keyboard.

I was saying, isn't there a rumoured end of February event?

Also, refreshes happen all the time. Most places have price protection within 1 week, etc.

Previous-model stock goes very very fast because it is a great bargain for a lot of people who just don't feel like pony-ing up the cash for the latest and greatest.
post #69 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Posty View Post

As I stated before Apple has a very smart marketing & advertising department. From a business and financial standpoint it'd be a giant mistake on Apple's part to make any new laptop; even a refresh/upgrade without making any notice. Besides financial it's upsetting to any customers who purchase a Macbook Pro now and only days later a new one is released. They're going to be overhauled in returns, exchanges, and getting rid of pre-opened/refurbished laptops. They would probably even lose profits if that was their marketing scheme. I don't know Apple's history too well, but I do recall certain items; Iphone, ipods, Leopard, etc. that were announced and had a release date; and were also able to be pre-ordered.

But, hey I could be wrong. I just would think it's laughable of their behalf to throw out a new laptop refresh with no announcement. I'm honestly trying to find a good reason why they'd spontaneously throw out a refresh without any advertising or announcement. It would be a great surprise, but they aren't known for surprises.

The last time they updated the MacBook Pro (faster processessor, LED display, etc.) they issued a press release the same day the MBPs were available. I know because I read the news in the morning, went to the Apple store and had my MBP home and working by noon. That was June, 2007. The 5th, I think.
post #70 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by faxthat View Post

This is surprisingly good news for those of surviving at a Tuesday-to-Tuesday existence level.

every Tuesday. Maybe this one will be the day.
post #71 of 168
Should we expect the unit to be in the stores or only in the apple store?
post #72 of 168
Tuesday so far away
post #73 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

...with as sexay a design as MacBook Air...

I wouldn't count on a new MBP being significantly thinner/sexier than current models. Thin and sexy is MBA's thing. It's about the only thing it's got going for it. Everything else is a limiter (slow HD, limited ports, no optical drive, etc). MBA has good sales numbers, but by no means stellar. If Apple were to release a faster, full-featured MacBook Pro that was a lot thinner than the current design, they'd be cutting off the MBA at the knees.
post #74 of 168
"The $3000 I have been saving for a MacBook Pro just got spent on replacing my car transmission. I hate Honda.
__________________
Nasser "


My sympathies... similar thing just happened to me, though my Honda is 13 years old, so I guess I shouldn't complain.
post #75 of 168
Mac Keyboards: I absolutely hate the new keyboards. I'm sure the new MBP will have it and I need a new machine (my current Mac Tower is 8 years old), but it kills me to have to buy a machine with that keyboard. There's a reason why traditional keyboards (and prior Mac keyboards) have a little indentation on each key: it keeps your finger in place.

Doesn't anyone remember the PC Junior "chicklet" keyboard? It was a fiasco and it killed the machine. The new Mac keyboards aren't much better. I love Apple's usual design philosophy, but the machines have to be practical as well.

MacOSUpdates: Someone posted that Apple doesn't do updates for older machines. WHAT?? My machine is 8 years old and I'm on the 11th OS update just for 10.4 (10.4.11) and there have been an incredible number of patches, security updates and enhancements to the apps as well. The fact is that due to the updates, this 8 year old machine still does everything really well (including Photoshop) except for video download viewing. That's the difference between a Mac and all the other crap that's out there. At work, we wind up having to toss most PC laptops after two years.


Honda: I've never had a single problem with any Honda or Acura I've ever owned aside from a battery, tires and once, a muffler, except for an ignitor going right before I got the recall notice. Not only did Acura fix the ignitor, but they paid for about 60 miles in towing fees (and the car was out of warranty). My first Acura had about 140,000 miles on it when I sold it.

My current Accord is five years old. It doesn't have high mileage, but aside from oil changes, wiper blades and air in the tires, it's never been to the shop for anything.
post #76 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogzilla View Post

COME ON JOBS! DON'T MAKE ME BUY AN HP! I WILL CRY!

I couldn't have said it any better. I'd go back to my Duo 230 before I bought one.
post #77 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panu View Post

The Apple Store guy would lose his job if he told you anything on or off the record. He told you store policy, nothing more and nothing less. Do not take it as a clue to the release date of the new MacBook Pro. He gave you no guarantee. He even said IF. Play it safe and wait until the announcement. You don't want to buy it and find out that the release is 15 days after your purchase.

Not to mention it doesn't mean that the model you want is going to be available the day the announcement is made. Apple has made announcements of fantastic top-of-the-line machines that didn't see the light of day for months, while the mediocre version was soon on the shelves. Admittedly, they do this better these days, but I wouldn't bet a couple grand of my money on it.
post #78 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by zanshin View Post

Not to mention it doesn't mean that the model you want is going to be available the day the announcement is made. Apple has made announcements of fantastic top-of-the-line machines that didn't see the light of day for months, while the mediocre version was soon on the shelves.

Pre-intel days. Follow the Intel roadmap. everyone knows what is coming if they release a new MBP before Montevina. Penryn drop-in processor upgrade, some small case/feature changes.

With Montevina thermal envelope drops (a little) allowing more leeway in enclosure volume.

If we get a new MBP soon it is shipping day of announcement.
four more beers, four more beers
Reply
four more beers, four more beers
Reply
post #79 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I don't find that funny.

...I'm pretty sure it was a pretend gun, or maybe a nerf.
post #80 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowerd View Post

Pre-intel days. Follow the Intel roadmap. everyone knows what is coming if they release a new MBP before Montevina. Penryn drop-in processor upgrade, some small case/feature changes.

With Montevina thermal envelope drops (a little) allowing more leeway in enclosure volume.

If we get a new MBP soon it is shipping day of announcement.

Umm, which is kinda why I qualified my statement by saying they do it better these days (the part you didn't quote). And if Apple has scheduled an event, and recently released a dramatic new design for lap-tops, there's no guarantee that the MBP form-factor of today may reappear as the faster MVP form-factor of the very-near future.

And recently there was supposed to be a release for the ATV that didn't come out on time, or Leopard being delayed for months....

Granted, that's software, not hardware, but Apple's hardware is uniquely tied to their software, and sometimes delays occur when a glitch manifests with a new hardware feature that doesn't play nice with the OS and i-apps, or your supply chain gets boogled by a bad run of widgets at the last minute.

All I was saying is you'd have to be very desperate to buy an existing Apple product today and gamble that you could replace it with a newer version in exactly 14 days because an event was scheduled.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › MacBook Pros running dry in the channel ahead of refreshes