or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple to sell "American Idol" performances through iTunes

Apple to sell "American Idol" performances through iTunes

post #1 of 11
Fox Broadcasting Company, Fox Interactive Media, 19 Entertainment, FremantleMedia and Apple have announced a partnership that will bring music fans all of the contestant performances from Season Seven of televisions most popular show exclusively on the iTunes Store.

Kicking off with the "American Idol" Top 24 semifinalists this week, customers can purchase music performances for 99 cents per song, and viewers will be able to purchase the full video of Top 12 finalist performances for $1.99, starting March 11. In addition, beginning Monday, fans can pre-order performances of their favorite contestants from the iTunes Store, which will be automatically downloaded the day after the show airs.

"Weve created a special section on the iTunes Store for Idol fans with an incredible array of music and video performances from televisions most popular show," said Eddy Cue, Apples vice president of iTunes. "We think American Idol viewers are going to love the ability to purchase and download Idol performances from iTunes."

iTunes will also provide exclusive direct links from the free streaming performance videos on americanidol.com, the official website of the show and home to MyIdol, the Internets largest "American Idol" fan site. Fans will be able to simply click through to iTunes if they want to purchase their favorite performances to own and enjoy on their iPod, iPhone or Apple TV.
post #2 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Fox Broadcasting Company, Fox Interactive Media, 19 Entertainment, FremantleMedia and Apple have announced a partnership that will bring music fans all of the contestant performances from Season Seven of televisions most popular show exclusively on the iTunes Store.

youtube .. idol. I don't love everything they do but I can't but be impressed at how apple chooses where to go next to try and make video-by-choice the way people watch tv.
post #3 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Kicking off with the "American Idol" Top 24 semifinalists this week, customers can purchase music performances for 99 cents per song, and viewers will be able to purchase the full video of Top 12 finalist performances for $1.99, starting March 11. In addition, beginning Monday, fans can pre-order performances of their favorite contestants from the iTunes Store, which will be automatically downloaded the day after the show airs.

Doe this mean that every video is 1.99, IOW that viewing the whole show will be 12x1.99 ? Or would I get the TOP 12 performance for 1.99 ?

If it is the first case - can someone please call NBC/SciFi channel so that all is well for when BSG returns to a screen near you...
post #4 of 11
Money earned in Apple stock fueled by fans who buy it on iTunes.

Money saved by not buying it (or using electricity to watch it) myself.
post #5 of 11
Yay - goodby Time Warner Cable, don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out of my life! American Idol was the last thing I needed (assuming that they will do the same deal with "So you think you can dance" as they are doing with AI).
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #6 of 11
Now that's one story that makes me glad i've got a UK ITunes account.
A reputation is not built upon the restful domain of one's comfort zone; it is made out of stalwart exposition of your core beliefs, for all challenges to disprove them as irrelevant hubris.- Berp...
A reputation is not built upon the restful domain of one's comfort zone; it is made out of stalwart exposition of your core beliefs, for all challenges to disprove them as irrelevant hubris.- Berp...
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Underhill View Post

I doubt that it won't be for long.

Looks like the BBC shows are coming this week: http://macdailynews.com/index.php/we...omments/16420/

and there are already, albeit older Pop Idol performances, on iTunes already.
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Underhill View Post

Yeah, so you can get the much more impressive "pop idol" instead...
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Yeah, so you can get the much more impressive "pop idol" instead...

Urrgh perish the thought
Quote:
I doubt that it won't be for long.

Looks like the BBC shows are coming this week: http://macdailynews.com/index.php/we...omments/16420/

and there are already, albeit older Pop Idol performances, on iTunes already.

Top Gear on iTunes would be cool, although we want stuff in realtime not a constant stream of repeats.
post #10 of 11
No, for repeats just watch Dave.
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
post #11 of 11
Was anyone able to watch the free stream of American Idol via their appleTV last night? I went all through the menu system (Fox, Fox reality, etc) last night and could not find it, so I went back and watched it over the hated Time Warner box.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple to sell "American Idol" performances through iTunes