or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Anyone see the debate?

Anyone see the debate?

post #1 of 20
I thought it was very civil for the most part.

Your thoughts?
May the peace of the Lord be with you always

Share your smile, Have respect for others, and be loving to all peoples

Paul in Athens: Acts 17 : 16-34

post #2 of 20
Well, Hillary had some good one-liners..
"How fortunate are you and I.."
"How fortunate are you and I.."
post #3 of 20
... before the debate started.

I think I caught the last half, I didn't see any vicious attack dogs, seemed pretty civil to me.

I thought HRC's closing comment was particularly poignant.

Is she starting to see the writing on the wall, or was that the beginnings of a concession speech?
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
post #4 of 20
Obama had some amazing responses as well.

Hillary's ending remarks were probably the best of the night for both sides, IMO. However, the CW is that her performance wasn't good enough to ultimately change the dynamics of the race, so Obama "won." I think that's true. There were moments when even Hillary broke form and smiled as if to say "man, he's good."
post #5 of 20
Did anyone else think, when she said "change you can xerox" about Obama using a line from one of his advisors, that some advisor had xeroxed a memo telling her to use that line? It just fell utterly flat.
post #6 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

Did anyone else think, when she said "change you can xerox" about Obama using a line from one of his advisors, that some advisor had xeroxed a memo telling her to use that line? It just fell utterly flat.

This:

Bill Clinton, 1992:
Quote:
"The hits that I took in this election are nothing compared to the hits the people of this state and this country have been taking for a long time."

Hillary Clinton, tonight:
Quote:
"You know, the hits Ive taken in life are nothing compared to what goes on every single day in the lives of people across our country."

Xerox is a major contributor to the Clinton Campaign:

Contributor Occupation Date Amount Recipient

BURNS, URSULA M
ROCHESTER,NY 14610 XEROX CORPORATION/VICE PRESIDENT 1/24/2007 $2,300 Clinton, Hillary

BURNS, URSULA M
ROCHESTER,NY 14610 XEROX CORPORATION/VICE PRESIDENT 1/24/2007 $1,900 Clinton, Hillary

BURNS, URSULA M
ROCHESTER,NY 14610 XEROX CORPORATION/SENIOR VICE PRESI 9/9/2005 $1,200 Clinton, Hillary

BURNS, URSULA M
ROCHESTER,NY 14610 XEROX CORPORATION 3/24/2005 $900 Clinton, Hillary

DIORIO, DANA A
PHILADELPHIA,PA 19104 XEROX/SALES MANAGER 6/9/2007 $2,300 Clinton, Hillary

DIORIO, DANA A

MULCAHY, ANNE M
FAIRFIELD,CT 06824 XEROX CORPORATION/EXECUTIVE-CEO 3/19/2007 $2,300 Clinton, Hillary

MULCAHY, ANNE M
FAIRFIELD,CT 06824 XEROX CORPORATION/EXECUTIVE-CEO 3/19/2007 $2,300 Clinton, Hillary

MULCAHY, ANNE M
FAIRFIELD,CT 06824 XEROX CORPORATION/CEO 5/4/2006 $1,000 Clinton, Hillary

MULCAHY, ANNE M
FAIRFIELD,CT 06824 XEROX CORPORATION/CEO 9/6/2006 $1,000 Clinton, Hillary

Coincidence? I don't think so!

Obama: Win

Clinton: FAIL
post #7 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by @_@ Artman View Post

This:

Bill Clinton, 1992:

Hillary Clinton, tonight:

Xerox is a major contributor to the Clinton Campaign:

Contributor Occupation Date Amount Recipient

BURNS, URSULA M
ROCHESTER,NY 14610 XEROX CORPORATION/VICE PRESIDENT 1/24/2007 $2,300 Clinton, Hillary

BURNS, URSULA M
ROCHESTER,NY 14610 XEROX CORPORATION/VICE PRESIDENT 1/24/2007 $1,900 Clinton, Hillary

BURNS, URSULA M
ROCHESTER,NY 14610 XEROX CORPORATION/SENIOR VICE PRESI 9/9/2005 $1,200 Clinton, Hillary

BURNS, URSULA M
ROCHESTER,NY 14610 XEROX CORPORATION 3/24/2005 $900 Clinton, Hillary

DIORIO, DANA A

DIORIO, DANA A

MULCAHY, ANNE M

MULCAHY, ANNE M

MULCAHY, ANNE M
FAIRFIELD,CT 06824 XEROX CORPORATION/CEO 5/4/2006 $1,000 Clinton, Hillary

MULCAHY, ANNE M
FAIRFIELD,CT 06824 XEROX CORPORATION/CEO 9/6/2006 $1,000 Clinton, Hillary

Coincidence? I don't think so!

Obama: Win

Clinton: FAIL

... a bumper sticker for the GOP.

Her delivery was definitely flat on that one, it was like a standup comedian bombing during their routine.
post #8 of 20
post #9 of 20
It'd be nice if these were actually debates.

The moderators only allow softball questions, and then allow the "debator" to talk for 5 minutes without ever answering the question. All they do is spout off a bunch of prepared statements. There is NO DEBATE happening!!!
You can't watch these things and come away with any idea of what the person might do or not do if elected.
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
post #10 of 20
I look forward to Obama/McCain debates. The Dems have little to debate about. They seem to admire each other and enjoy sparring intellectually. This has come down to personality at this point.
traveling the globe in an envelope
traveling the globe in an envelope
post #11 of 20

And she has the nerve to jump on Obama for what she does herself.

Fellows

post #12 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

The moderators only allow softball questions, and then allow the "debator" to talk for 5 minutes without ever answering the question.

These candidates answered the questions.

I don't know what debate you watched. The one in your head?
post #13 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnJ View Post

These candidates answered the questions.

I don't know what debate you watched. The one in your head?

People know what might happen if they ask one of our elitist politicians an awkward, difficult, or even non-softball question...

zzzztttttt
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
post #14 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammi jo View Post

People know what might happen if they ask one of our elitist politicians an awkward, difficult, or even non-softball question...

zzzztttttt

Totally.

They didn't even ask whether 9/11 was an inside job!

post #15 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnJ View Post

Totally.

They didn't even ask whether 9/11 was an inside job!

That would have been redundant!
post #16 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnwrite View Post

Well, Hillary had some good one-liners..

It comes to this.

If that's a key criteria maybe we should have the debates on Comedy Central and the candidates should be Jerry Seinfeld and Jeff Foxworthy with the inevitable quip: "Sir, I knew Henny Youngman. I worked with Henny Youngman. You are no Henny Youngman."
post #17 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by sslarson View Post

It comes to this.

If that's a key criteria maybe we should have the debates on Comedy Central and the candidates should be Jerry Seinfeld and Jeff Foxworthy with the inevitable quip: "Sir, I knew Henny Youngman. I worked with Henny Youngman. You are no Henny Youngman."

Yeah, too bad CC wasn't around during the Reagan years.

Quote:
"I will not make age an issue of this campaign. I am not going to exploit, for political purposes, my opponent's youth and inexperience."
post #18 of 20
Oh man, why did they choose RUSSERT AND B. WILLIAMS as debate moderators?

What is wrong with these candidates!?
post #19 of 20
I like how they let them talk substantively about health care though.

Running roughshod over these goons.

Oof. Hillary complains about getting the first question on the big issues in every debate. Not sure anyone cares.

Oh god. Russert keeps hammering Clinton on NAFTA looking for a "gotcha" instead of letting the candidates the speak.

Oh god. Another Russert attempt at a "gotcha" while hammering Clinton over a jobs promise she made in her 2000 campaign for the Senate. Her response nailed it, but Russert is annoying me.
post #20 of 20
Russert is a dick.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Anyone see the debate?