or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple introduces Penryn-based MacBooks and MacBook Pros

Apple introduces Penryn-based MacBooks and MacBook Pros

post #1 of 424
Apple today updated its popular MacBook and MacBook Pro notebook lines with the latest Intel Core 2 Duo Penryn processors, larger hard drives and 2GB of memory standard in most models.

MacBook Pro

In addition, MacBook Pro includes the latest NVIDIA graphics processors, now with up to 512MB of video memory, and Apple's innovative Multi-Touch trackpad, first introduced in MacBook Air.

The new MacBook Pro features the latest Intel Core 2 Duo technology with up to a 2.6 GHz processor with 6MB of shared L2 cache; up to 4GB of 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM memory and up to a 300GB hard drive, plus NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics with up to 512MB of video memory.

Every MacBook Pro now includes a trackpad with Multi-Touch gesture support for pinch, rotate and swipe, making it more intuitive than ever to zoom and rotate photos in iPhoto or Aperture 2 or browse web pages in Safari; an illuminated keyboard that makes it ideal for dimly lit environments such as airplanes, studios or conference halls and a built-in ambient light sensor, which automatically adjusts the brightness of the keys as well as the brightness of the display for optimal visibility.

MacBook

Featuring a 13-inch glossy widescreen display, and with prices still starting at just $1,099, the new MacBook lineup comes in three models and includes faster processors and larger hard drives across the line; white 2.1 GHz and 2.4 GHz models with 120GB or 160GB 5400 rpm hard drives and a black 2.4 GHz model with a massive 250GB 5400 rpm hard drive, previously only available as an option. The 2.4 GHz MacBook models ship with 2GB of memory standard, expandable up to 4GB across the line.

Every MacBook and MacBook Pro includes a built-in iSight video camera for video conferencing on-the-go; Apple's MagSafe Power Adapter that magnetically connects the power cord and safely disconnects when under strain; the latest generation of 802.11n wireless networking for up to five times the performance and twice the range of 802.11g; built-in 10/100/1000 BASE-T Gigabit Ethernet for high-speed networking; Bluetooth; analog and digital audio inputs and outputs; USB 2.0; FireWire and a built-in SuperDrive.

Pricing & Availability

The new MacBook and MacBook Pro models are now shipping and will be available through the Apple Store , Apple's retail stores and Apple Authorized Resellers.

The 2.1 GHz, 13-inch white MacBook, for a suggested retail price of $1,099 (US), includes:
13.3-inch glossy widescreen 1280 x 800 display2.1 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor with 3MB shared L2 cache800 MHz front-side bus1GB of 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, expandable to 4GB120GB Serial ATA hard drive running at 5400 rpm, with Sudden Motion Sensora slot-load Combo (DVD-ROM/CD-RW) optical driveIntel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100Mini-DVI out (adapters for DVI, VGA and Composite/S-Video sold separately)built-in iSight video cameraGigabit Ethernet portbuilt-in AirPort Extreme 802.11n wireless networking and Bluetooth 2.0+EDRtwo USB 2.0 ports and one FireWire 400 portone audio line in and one audio line out port, each supporting both optical digital and analogScrolling trackpad and60 Watt MagSafe Power Adapter.
The 2.4 GHz, 13-inch white MacBook, for a suggested retail price of $1,299 (US), includes:
13.3-inch glossy widescreen 1280 x 800 display2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor with 3MB shared L2 cache800 MHz front-side bus2GB of 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, expandable to 4GB160GB Serial ATA hard drive running at 5400 rpm, with Sudden Motion Sensora slot-load 8x SuperDrive with double-layer support (DVD+/-R DL / DVD+/-RW / CD-RW) optical driveIntel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100Mini-DVI out (adapters for DVI, VGA and Composite/S-Video sold separately)built-in iSight video cameraGigabit Ethernet portbuilt-in AirPort Extreme 802.11n wireless networking and Bluetooth 2.0+EDRtwo USB 2.0 ports and one FireWire 400 portone audio line in and one audio line out port, each supporting both optical digital and analogScrolling trackpad and60 Watt MagSafe Power Adapter
The 2.4 GHz, 13-inch black MacBook, for a suggested retail price of $1,499 (US), includes:
13.3-inch glossy widescreen 1280 x 800 display2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor with 3MB shared L2 cache800 MHz front-side bus2GB of 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, expandable to 4GB250GB Serial ATA hard drive running at 5400 rpm, with Sudden Motion Sensora slot-load 8x SuperDrive with double-layer support (DVD+/-R DL / DVD+/-RW / CD-RW) optical driveIntel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100Mini-DVI out (adapters for DVI, VGA and Composite/S-Video sold separately)built-in iSight video cameraGigabit Ethernet portbuilt-in AirPort Extreme 802.11n wireless networking and Bluetooth 2.0+EDRtwo USB 2.0 ports and one FireWire 400 portone audio line in and one audio line out port, each supporting both optical digital and analogScrolling trackpad and 60 Watt MagSafe Power Adapter
Build-to-order options for the MacBook include the ability to upgrade to up to 4GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, a 160GB or 250GB hard drive, Apple USB Modem, Apple Mini-DVI to DVI adapter, Apple Mini-DVI to VGA adapter, Apple Remote, Apple MagSafe Airline Adapter and the AppleCare Protection Plan.

The 2.4 GHz, 15-inch MacBook Pro, for a suggested retail price of $1,999 (US), includes:
15.4-inch widescreen LED-backlit 1440 x 900 LCD display2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor with 3MB shared L2 cache800 MHz front-side bus2GB of 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, expandable to 4GB200GB Serial ATA hard drive running at 5400 rpm, with Sudden Motion Sensora slot-load 8x SuperDrive with double-layer support (DVD+/-R DL / DVD+/-RW / CD-RW) optical driveNVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 256MB GDDR3 memoryDVI-out port for external display (VGA-out adapter included, Composite/S-Video adapter sold separately)built-in Dual Link support for driving Apple 30-inch Cinema HD Displaybuilt-in iSight video cameraGigabit Ethernet portbuilt-in AirPort Extreme 802.11n wireless networking and Bluetooth 2.1+EDRExpressCard/34 expansion card slottwo USB 2.0 ports, one FireWire 800 port and one FireWire 400 portone audio line in and one audio line out port, each supporting both optical digital and analogMulti-Touch trackpad and illuminated keyboard and 85 Watt Apple MagSafe Power Adapter
The 2.5 GHz, 15-inch MacBook Pro, for a suggested retail price of $2,499 (US), includes:
15.4-inch widescreen LED-backlit 1440 x 900 LCD display2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor with 6MB shared L2 cache800 MHz front-side bus2GB of 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, expandable to 4GB250GB Serial ATA hard drive running at 5400 rpm, with Sudden Motion Sensora slot-load 8x SuperDrive with double-layer support (DVD+/-R DL / DVD+/-RW / CD-RW) optical driveNVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 512MB GDDR3 memoryDVI-out port for external display (VGA-out adapter included, Composite/S-Video out adapter sold separately)built-in Dual Link support for driving Apple 30-inch Cinema HD Displaybuilt-in iSight video cameraGigabit Ethernet portbuilt-in AirPort Extreme 802.11n wireless networking and Bluetooth 2.1+EDRExpressCard/34 expansion card slottwo USB 2.0 ports, one FireWire 800 port and one FireWire 400 portone audio line in and one audio line out port, each supporting both optical digital and analogMulti-Touch trackpad and illuminated keyboard and 85 Watt Apple MagSafe Power Adapter
The 2.5 GHz, 17-inch MacBook Pro, for a suggested retail price of $2,799 (US), includes:
17-inch widescreen 1680 x 1050 LCD display2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor with 6MB shared L2 cache800 MHz front-side bus2GB of 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, expandable to 4GB250GB Serial ATA hard drive running at 5400 rpm, with Sudden Motion Sensora slot-load 8x SuperDrive with double-layer support (DVD+/-R DL / DVD+/-RW / CD-RW) optical driveNVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 512MB GDDR3 memoryDVI-out port for external display (VGA-out adapter included, Composite/S-Video out adapter sold separately)built-in Dual Link support for driving Apple 30-inch Cinema HD Displaybuilt-in iSight video cameraGigabit Ethernet portbuilt-in AirPort Extreme 802.11n wireless networking and Bluetooth 2.1+EDRExpressCard/34 expansion card slotthree USB 2.0 ports, one FireWire 800 port and one FireWire 400 portone audio line in and one audio line out port, each supporting both optical digital and analogMulti-Touch trackpad and illuminated keyboard and 85 Watt Apple MagSafe Power Adapter
Build-to-order options for the MacBook Pro include the ability to upgrade to up to 4GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, a 2.6 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 200GB (7200 rpm), 250GB (5400 rpm) or a 300GB (4200 rpm) hard drive, Apple Remote, Apple MagSafe Airline Adapter, Apple USB Modem, glossy widescreen display, 17- inch LED-backlit 1920 x 1200 high-resolution display and the AppleCare Protection Plan.

Additional build-to-order options for both MacBook and MacBook Pro include pre-installed copies of iWork '08, Logic Express 8, Final Cut Express 4 and Aperture 2.
post #2 of 424
Thank god I didn't auction my Macbook Pro. I knew there was going to be no case redesign but I did think the trackpad would be upgraded. Guess not.

Mike
Macbook Pro 2.2 Ghz
4 gigs RAM
320 gig HD
Apogee Ensemble
Macbook Pro 2.2 Ghz
4 gigs RAM
320 gig HD
Apogee Ensemble
post #3 of 424
I'm kind of disappointed that they didn't go with a upgrade to the case as well, especially the keyboard. I was beginning to think that they would make the newer keyboards universal... *sigh* There goes the anticipation of waiting all day to see something grand.. now it's just cool

glad I didn't buy a mbp two weeks ago though lol
gl
gl
post #4 of 424
This is too little too late.

Where are the new MBPs that have been seen at Cupertino? I guess it'll be another six months before they arrive. That means Apple will debut a Montevina MBP onths after everyone else.

No wonder the share price is langusihing at $120. It deserves to.

Talk about disappointed. I could cry.
post #5 of 424
The MacBook Pro Gets new Bluethooth 2.1 while MacBook are stuck with 2.0 ?? ><

I think we would see them updated again when Centrino 2 comes out?

There are only two kind of people in this world.

Those who dont understand Apple and those who misunderstood Apple.

There are only two kind of people in this world.

Those who dont understand Apple and those who misunderstood Apple.

post #6 of 424
Question: I just bought a Macbook over the weekend, what is Apple's policy if I return this computer in exchange for the newly bumped specs?

I know the bump in speed, memory and space isn't that significant for the $1299 machine, but I'm just curious. I've already ordered my 4gb memory, but the added hard drive space would be nice. Going from 2.2ghz to 2.4 doesn't make that much difference, right?
post #7 of 424
I have to say from a strategic adoption point of view, it was a major oversight not to include multi-touch trackpads on the Macbook. Surely you want to drive even more sales of the most popular, mainstream mac unit and get people using a technology which is currently a Mac only experience. I think by not putting this into the hands of more switchers, Apple are potentially driving people to wait for its eventual arrival and put off a purchase than to say ohhh i'll just pay more and get a pro. Also Apple can we get a proper graphics card in the Macbook....please?
post #8 of 424
Nice to see a total revamp of the portable line.
post #9 of 424
Since when did the apple remote for the MBP become a $19 addon?
post #10 of 424
AI, you've got the MacBook and the MacBook Pro titles (the ones in bold) mixed-up in your article.
post #11 of 424
I'm not an expert on graphic cards, are the new MacBook Pro graphic cards good?
post #12 of 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by techvoyager View Post

Question: I just bought a Macbook over the weekend, what is Apple's policy if I return this computer in exchange for the newly bumped specs?

I know the bump in speed, memory and space isn't that significant for the $1299 machine, but I'm just curious. I've already ordered my 4gb memory, but the added hard drive space would be nice. Going from 2.2ghz to 2.4 doesn't make that much difference, right?

Usually its a "14 day - no questions asked" policy. I've made use of it myself. I say go exchange it, even just to protect your investment as you now essentially have an out-of-date, yet completely fine, machine.
post #13 of 424
OK, it is as I feared: the Aluminium design can now be safely displayed to the Modern Computer Museum as the design with the longest life ever. It not only exceeded 5 years of life, but after this update it is here to stay for some months yet at least.
post #14 of 424
I'm liking the 512MB graphics.
post #15 of 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by felixkunze View Post

Usually its a "14 day - no questions asked" policy. I've made use of it myself. I say go exchange it, even just to protect your investment as you now essentially have an out-of-date, yet completely fine, machine.

'No questions asked?" I thought there was some sort of restocking fee involved here.
post #16 of 424
The $1099 Macbook still only has a Combo Optical Drive!? Come on Apple, I think Superdrives across the board have been due for quite some time.
post #17 of 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartz View Post

I have to say from a strategic adoption point of view, it was a major oversight not to include multi-touch trackpads on the Macbook. Surely you want to drive even more sales of the most popular, mainstream mac unit and get people using a technology which is currently a Mac only experience. I think by not putting this into the hands of more switchers, Apple are potentially driving people to wait for its eventual arrival and put off a purchase than to say ohhh i'll just pay more and get a pro. Also Apple can we get a proper graphics card in the Macbook....please?

Because they have to give you a reason to purchase a more expensive machine. Just like you don't get all the bells and whistles on a low-end car. It keeps the cost down and differentiates the product line.

You want multi-touch? Pay for it!
post #18 of 424
I really hope this is a mistake but knowing Apple of late it probably isn't...

Not only do we pay a ridiculous dividend for Apple products in light of current exchange rates (Apple TV 2.0 for example) but now with the Macbook pro we are getting lower spec'd graphics cards too?

What the hell has got into Apple? I am losing my patience as an Apple user.
post #19 of 424
Seems pretty disappointing - I was hoping for a case/keyboard refresh
post #20 of 424
Oh, did I say that we are fast approaching March 2008 and yet the entry level MB has still a combo drive? At 1000 euros?

Otherwise, I find the MB update quite solid.
post #21 of 424
No multitouch for macbooks and the apple remotes now are not included. Disappointing indeed...
post #22 of 424
Boy this is a tough crowd.

Apple's in for dark days - for awhile it looks like

Not sure what they will have to come out with, for all you folks to be ALL happy - and run out to buy a new Mac / MBP or any other Apple product.

For me, it will be tough. I already have: (and we are a 2 person shop)

- Intel Desktop (2)
- several other older mac's
- New 17" MBP
- WAY to many iPods
- 23" & 30" monitors PLUS others
- WAY to much software

I might breakdown and purchase an iPhone at the right price ($250.00 range). My contract is up with Verizon, sooo

I'd give serious consideration to a 36" - 42" monitor / touch screen

Hey, that's just me.

Remember folks, if they / Apple comes out with what we ALL want now, what in hell could they come out with later this year, or MacExpo next year, that would make me pony up more bucks for a new, a different Mac?

Skip
post #23 of 424
MB:
- I'm sure Apple must be specially paying someone to keep make Combo drives nowadays.
- Odd that even with MBs capable of using 4096MB RAM that they don't allow the X3100 the option to use the 384MB it can as VRAM.

MBP
- Odd not to see the keyboard that is otherwise standard on all Macs not get included on the MBP
- No high res version of the 15" screen.

Again whilst these updates were needed; Apple doesn't even remotely tempt me to replace my TiBook.
post #24 of 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmacoy View Post

Seems pretty disappointing - I was hoping for a case/keyboard refresh

Not going to happen without a special event. Mind you: externals are about showing up, and Apple is going to really show up when it comes to these, and not go through a silent routine update.
post #25 of 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailpipe View Post

Where are the new MBPs that have been seen at Cupertino? I guess it'll be another six months before they arrive. That means Apple will debut a Montevina MBP onths after everyone else.

I suspect you'll see you new case design when the new Intel processors come out (about 6 months before we see them in Macs?). If Apple made this revision too drastic, they'd have taken the punch out of the rollout of new laptops with the new processor. And you'd risk a bunch of upset customers who bought the new design but missed out of the new processor.

By keeping this upgrade relatively minor, they managed both sets of expectations.
post #26 of 424
Wow, that was a lame update.
Fragmentation is not just something we have to acknowledge and accept. Fragmentation is something that we deal with every day, and we must accept it as a fact of the iPhone platform experience.

Ste...
Fragmentation is not just something we have to acknowledge and accept. Fragmentation is something that we deal with every day, and we must accept it as a fact of the iPhone platform experience.

Ste...
post #27 of 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by jivebaby View Post

Thank god I didn't auction my Macbook Pro. I knew there was going to be no case redesign but I did think the trackpad would be upgraded. Guess not.

Mike

What are you talking about? They did upgrade the trackpad with multitouch. Plus I hear that the macbook pros will have the option of LED backlit screens. I don't think appleinsider is reporting this properly.

EDIT: People! Go to apple's fricken website and read the specs for yourself!
post #28 of 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailpipe View Post

I was trying not to get excited about a case redesign because I suspected they wouldn't intro one until the MBA has had a good run in the market.

Oh well, I'm not quite due for an upgrade anyway.
post #29 of 424
At least this means my 2.16 MBP should still have a pretty good value when I sell it next month.
post #30 of 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

What are you talking about? They did upgrade the trackpad with multitouch. Plus I hear that they macbook pros will have the option of LED backlit screens. I don't think appleinsider is reporting this properly.

They already had led backlit screens.
post #31 of 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuBeck View Post

They already had led backlit screens.

except for the 17" MBP it's an option.
post #32 of 424
So many people seem to expect the MacBook to be a MacBook Pro. Hey, genius, you are buying the budget version of the machine. No, Apple doesn't need to add every bit of new tech into the budget machine. Besides, these things are EXTREMELY capable computers. Why must everybody act like a spoiled brat when they don't get everything for nothing? Grow up.
post #33 of 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by fractured View Post

So many people seem to expect the MacBook to be a MacBook Pro. Hey, genius, you are buying the budget version of the machine. No, Apple doesn't need to add every bit of new tech into the budget machine. Besides, these things are EXTREMELY capable computers. Why must everybody act like a spoiled brat when they don't get everything for nothing? Grow up.

Agree.

Key word as you stated, Grow up, only wish they would.
post #34 of 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLienGeorgia View Post

Since when did the apple remote for the MBP become a $19 addon?

Since the stock fell to $120 and they needed to find out more ways to squeeze every penny out of their customers. Did you really expect a $2800 laptop to include a remote?
post #35 of 424
I am looking to buy my first Macbook (Pro) but I am having a hard time deciding between the op of the line Black MB and the entry level MBP. A little bit about my computer needs....I dont play any games....mostly surfing the net, might purchase Aperture 2 so I can edit some family photos, watch dvds burn cds, music.

I am usually the person that likes to buy the "best" or "top of the line" products so I am stuck between the 2 Apple products. I figured it would be $500 more for the MBP.

Opinions...thoughts or suggestions?
post #36 of 424
The good:
Well needed processor upgrades.
The graphics card is a nice improvement.
The keyboard layout (removal of the enter key and adding another option key)
F1-F12 layout standardized across the board
Multi-touch
Case is tried and true. Still better than anything else out there.
17" has LED now.

The bad:
Case is getting dated by Apple standards.
USB ports still slim on the 15" model.
No magnetic latch.
No remote standard.
Entry-level MacBook still has combo drive.
Keyboard still the same in MBP.

The ugly:
That we have to wait a few more months for a completely revamped mobile lineup.
post #37 of 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncee View Post

Remember folks, if they / Apple comes out with what we ALL want now, what in hell could they come out with later this year, or MacExpo next year, that would make me pony up more bucks for a new, a different Mac?

Blu-Ray disc burners. Auburndale CPUs. Calpella chipsets. There, I just took you all the way past WWDC 2009 and didn't even mention MacBook with multitouch trackpad, monitor refreshes using LED backlit LCDs, WiMAX, G3 iPhone, 1394c, or Firewire 3200

I'd also like to see the Mac Mini have at least the same logic board specs as the low end MacBook. There's no reason not to refresh the Mac Mini to keep it on par with the MacBook, unless you are trying to kill it off.
post #38 of 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky13 View Post

I am looking to buy my first Macbook (Pro) but I am having a hard time deciding between the op of the line Black MB and the entry level MBP. A little bit about my computer needs....I dont play any games....mostly surfing the net, might purchase Aperture 2 so I can edit some family photos, watch dvds burn cds, music.

I am usually the person that likes to buy the "best" or "top of the line" products so I am stuck between the 2 Apple products. I figured it would be $500 more for the MBP.

Opinions...thoughts or suggestions?

With your requirements, the MacBook would be more than enough. I even think Aperture would be overkill. iPhoto does a good job of managing photos. You can also look at something like Pixelmator. It can also be upgraded to 4GB of RAm and has an extremely easy upgrade path for the hard drive.

Now if you want the 15" screen, or you think the 13" is too small, then the entry-level MBP would be your next logical choice. It's a great machine too. I should know, I have one for work.
post #39 of 424
Why do we have to pay for a remote that was included before?
Bad move Apple
post #40 of 424
Are the processors on the new Macbook also of the Penryn variety? If so, will that mean better battery life?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple introduces Penryn-based MacBooks and MacBook Pros