or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple introduces Penryn-based MacBooks and MacBook Pros
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple introduces Penryn-based MacBooks and MacBook Pros - Page 10

post #361 of 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtabbutt@mac.com View Post

What I'm trying to say is that I wouldn't spend $2,000+ for one of these new MacBook Pro laptops. There isn't that much value added compared to earlier MBP's. Therefore, where's the market? People who've never bought a MBP? Windows users? IS departments? I believe these are extremely limited markets, since the original MBP is only about two years old. Anyone who needed one already has one (this is being typed on one). Apple did not distinguish itself well enough with these upgrades to convince any existing MBP owner to upgrade, or others to switch (from Windows). Their only hope is new users. But don't look at me...just look at their stock (AAPL).

The stock market is fickle and one should take care to not interpret too much out of it, or interpret the wrong thing. If you haven't noticed, the last quarter smashed quite a few records with regards to Mac sales with a very healthy growth. Much of the drop is far more accurately attributed to much-reduced growth in their iPod business, which represents about half of Apple's income.

Quote:
As far as early adopters being left behind, I would spend a few hundred bucks on my MBP for a bigger hard drive (not offered by Apple), a SuperDrive (not offered by Apple), or an updated processor (not offered by Apple). In other words, Apple doesn't offer a path to upgrade existing similar machines...they only offer to replace them. Even Dell offers upgrade paths, and I have used them in the past.

There are several third parties that do just that, Apple authorized and all that.

Quote:
P.S. Please don't hint at vulgarities in your posts. Civil communication is all that's required.

I'm sorry about that. It's just that your previous post was nearly content-free, i.e. stating an opinion but little explanation as to its reasoning, and as such, read a lot like common troll posts that we see around here.
post #362 of 424
Has anyone had their BTO MacBook Pro ship, yet?

I ordered mine the morning it was released and the only thing I changed on the 2.5Ghz model was I opted for the glossy screen. My ship date is Feb 28 - March 3 and it hasn't shipped yet...
post #363 of 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I'm sorry about that. It's just that your previous post was nearly content-free, i.e. stating an opinion but little explanation as to its reasoning, and as such, read a lot like common troll posts that we see around here.

With the risk of starting a flame war, the original post reeked of a newbie forum member desperate to hurl complaints around so as to make themselves feel a bit better. In those situations I find it's best to keep stumm and let them throw their toys out of their pram until they say something constructive.



But you did try your best!
post #364 of 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by jowie74 View Post

With the risk of starting a flame war, the original post reeked of a newbie forum member desperate to hurl complaints around so as to make themselves feel a bit better. In those situations I find it's best to keep stumm and let them throw their toys out of their pram until they say something constructive.



But you did try your best!

That doesn't explain vulgarities, nor your sophomoric or ad hominem comments.

The original post was to the point, the second post detailed it.

The fact is Apple is so desperate to sell these new MacBooks that they are offering rebates and bundled free merchandise.

What they have forgotten is their base. There is no path for those owners. If you can't get that point out of three messages now, you don't have a clue as to sales and marketing, and have obviously never been in that field.

Perhaps, neither has Apple.

Regards,

DT
post #365 of 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtabbutt@mac.com View Post

The fact is Apple is so desperate to sell these new MacBooks that they are offering rebates and bundled free merchandise.

I don't know where you're seeing Apple offering this. Amazon and some third parties might be offering rebates on Macs and bundling other merchandise as a free promotion, but Apple is not. Amazon has been offering those rebates for just about forever, completely independent of Apple.

I think the point your making is again ignorant of the fact that Apple continues to sell 30% more units than the previous year as they have for the past several years, there is no sign of slowdown of that growth so far.
post #366 of 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I don't know where you're seeing Apple offering this. Amazon and some third parties might be offering rebates on Macs and bundling other merchandise as a free promotion, but Apple is not. Amazon has been offering those rebates for just about forever, completely independent of Apple.

I think the point your making is again ignorant of the fact that Apple continues to sell 30% more units than the previous year as they have for the past several years, there is no sign of slowdown of that growth so far.

The rebates and bundles are in a Feb. 27th story on this very site. Granted, they aren't Apple's, but there are a whole lot more resellers than Apple who must move merchandise to stay in business. Why offer incentives on a brand new "in demand" product with people knocking down your doors to get it? Well, the truth is no doors are being knocked down.

But still, that isn't the point I've been trying to make. My point is that Apple abandons their base. Except for the Apple TV, I've never seen Apple offer anything to existing users that enhances existing products. Maybe the $20 iPod Touch upgrades count, but that's also a firestorm as the new ones come with the new functionality at the same price. That doesn't bother me...I'll pay for new functionality upgrades. I just don't want to be put into a corner where the only option is to replace for that functionality.

All I'm asking for is an upgrade path. I know my Mac 128 sitting in the attic since 1986 isn't going to get any upgrades, but something as similar as the MacBook Pro is to the new one should have an upgrade path.

Other vendors do it. Why doesn't Apple?

And please, once again, try to carry on a civil conversation. Words like "ignorant" don't foster that.

Regards,

DT
post #367 of 424
What "upgrade path" is there for a MacBook Pro? I don't get what you are asking for.

Just sell it on eBay and buy the new one. That's what I do and the money you have to spend is about what you would spend to "upgrade", whatever that means, the old one.

Plus, if you subscribe to the ADC Select developer program, you get $400 off the price of the MBP and free copy of 10.6 when it comes out, not to mention you get 10.6 about a year earlier than the public does.
--Johnny
Reply
--Johnny
Reply
post #368 of 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by lundy View Post

What "upgrade path" is there for a MacBook Pro? I don't get what you are asking for.

Just sell it on eBay and buy the new one. That's what I do and the money you have to spend is about what you would spend to "upgrade", whatever that means, the old one.

Plus, if you subscribe to the ADC Select developer program, you get $400 off the price of the MBP and free copy of 10.6 when it comes out, not to mention you get 10.6 about a year earlier than the public does.

I was scratching my head on an upgrade paths for ANY laptop. I've had PC laptops, and they're as easy or as hard as Apple laptops (some are as easy as a MacBook, some as hard as an MBP), but I don't know of any built-in upgrade paths... especially for CPU's or GPU's. I'm sure there are some out there, but generally a laptop is what it is with some extra ram or a bigger HD as it gets older. Or at least that's what I've usually found.
"I used to be disgusted, but now I try to be amused."
Macbook Pro 2.2
Reply
"I used to be disgusted, but now I try to be amused."
Macbook Pro 2.2
Reply
post #369 of 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by lundy View Post

What "upgrade path" is there for a MacBook Pro? I don't get what you are asking for.

Just sell it on eBay and buy the new one. That's what I do and the money you have to spend is about what you would spend to "upgrade", whatever that means, the old one.

Plus, if you subscribe to the ADC Select developer program, you get $400 off the price of the MBP and free copy of 10.6 when it comes out, not to mention you get 10.6 about a year earlier than the public does.

1. Larger hard drive...I know that's available elsewhere, but it voids warranty/AppleCare.
2. SuperDrive vs. ComboDrive. Again, same as above.

That's just two, but they are important ones.

My last Dell notebook even allowed processor upgrades...not so with Apple.

If I want a new radio for my car, or virtually anything else but the chassis, I can upgrade. Apple doesn't have that mindset.

The money I would spend on a hard drive and a SuperDrive isn't anywhere close to the loss in selling/buying new.

I do want to thank you for the respectful post.

Regards,

DT
post #370 of 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtabbutt@mac.com View Post

1. Larger hard drive...I know that's available elsewhere, but it voids warranty/AppleCare.
2. SuperDrive vs. ComboDrive. Again, same as above.

That's just two, but they are important ones.

My last Dell notebook even allowed processor upgrades...not so with Apple.

If I want a new radio for my car, or virtually anything else but the chassis, I can upgrade. Apple doesn't have that mindset.

The money I would spend on a hard drive and a SuperDrive isn't anywhere close to the loss in selling/buying new.

I do want to thank you for the respectful post.

Regards,

DT

Got it -- it's the warranty voiding that Apple does. They're cool on ram, I never had a ComboDrive to switch out.
"I used to be disgusted, but now I try to be amused."
Macbook Pro 2.2
Reply
"I used to be disgusted, but now I try to be amused."
Macbook Pro 2.2
Reply
post #371 of 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzaslove View Post

Got it -- it's the warranty voiding that Apple does. They're cool on ram, I never had a ComboDrive to switch out.

True, the warranty is an issue.

Which is why Apple should offer these upgrades themselves. This was the point of my original post.

I should be able to carry my MBP into an Apple Store and say, "Please upgrade the hard drive to 250 GB and install a SuperDrive. I'll pick it up next week". It will never happen.

The fact that they won't do such a simple task suggests not only greed, but complete lack of concern for past buyers. This is what will bury them and drive customers away. In terms of market share, Windows is but a pimple compared to Apple's terminal disease of abandoning current users.

Regards,

DT
post #372 of 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtabbutt@mac.com View Post

True, the warranty is an issue.

Which is why Apple should offer these upgrades themselves. This was the point of my original post.

I should be able to carry my MBP into an Apple Store and say, "Please upgrade the hard drive to 250 GB and install a SuperDrive. I'll pick it up next week". It will never happen.

The fact that they won't do such a simple task suggests not only greed, but complete lack of concern for past buyers. This is what will bury them and drive customers away. In terms of market share, Windows is but a pimple compared to Apple's terminal disease of abandoning current users.

Regards,

DT

Is this sort of thing common from OEMs? I can't ask my Merc dealer to install a larger engine. I can't ask LG to put in a higher res display into my TV.

There are 3rd-party vendors that do this. If you want this your warranty is already expired. Why should Apple supply everything to everyone?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #373 of 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Is this sort of thing common from OEMs? I can't ask my Merc dealer to install a larger engine. I can't ask LG to put in a higher res display into my TV.

There are 3rd-party vendors that do this. If you want this your warranty is already expired. Why should Apple supply everything to everyone?

It's not the warranty, it's AppleCare, which in fact is an extended warranty.

An LG Higher-res display would be a different model # TV. Ford will sell you any engine that will fit your vehicle. I don't know what Merc does, but since they are in the bottom ten of CU's reliability database, I will never own one, and therefore don't care about their policies.

On the contrary a MacBook Pro is still called a MacBook Pro.

Do you understand the meaning here? If not, further posts from you on this thread are unnecessary.

Regards,

DT
post #374 of 424
Is it true that all of the new MBPs have TI FW instead of the Lucent/Agere chipsets that they switched over to in November for most of the portable line? All the MBs are now Agere, currently incompatible with much FW audio hardware.

Thanks.
post #375 of 424
Quote:
Ford will sell you any engine that will fit your vehicle.

They'll probably sell you any engine they make, but even if it was another engine that was also available for the chosen vehicle would they really install it? Do you really think that would be an affordable swap?

IIRC, Apple techs will install third party upgrades if you bring it and the machine in. I suppose I see your point with regard to hard drives and optical drives and having Applecare cover the part you had them install. The problem I see is that given their pricing, I think most people would balk at having Apple do the upgrade. I think they charge $400 for 4GB of RAM, which is about 4x the price of a reputable parts site, though not installed.

On processors though, even if they did use CPU sockets, there's only so much they can upgrade, the Intel mobile chipset generations and mobile CPU generations are very specific to each other. Apple sells notebooks with CPUs that are pretty close to the fastest chip that will work in the machine anyway. Intel keeps advancing the FSB speeds and their sockets seem to change periodically.
post #376 of 424
Yeah, Apple has never sold upgrades like that and I don't see any evidence that they will. Thicker and heavier notebooks that have socketed CPUs and are easier to open may be easy to upgrade, and maybe Dell offers it because their notebooks don't have the resale value.

But I know that once you saw the price Apple would want to charge you for installing a part, you would choose the sell-on-eBay - and - buy a new one method.

IT directors at large institutions are always complaining that Apple won't sell them parts. They want to replace bad HDs themselves, mobos, etc. Apple has never done this to my knowledge.

The only Apple upgrade I ever got was my Mac 128K upgrade to 512K Fat Mac. Mobo swap of course, since the RAM chips were soldered on. $1000 for an extra 384K. And that was with the 40% university discount.
--Johnny
Reply
--Johnny
Reply
post #377 of 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzaslove View Post

Got it -- it's the warranty voiding that Apple does. They're cool on ram, I never had a ComboDrive to switch out.

I've not bought a laptop since 2002, but the TiBook then had instructions in the paper manual how to replace the HDD and Airport card. I took this to mean it was non-warranty affecting. They don't mention the Superdrive but it's just there when you do either of the above.

http://www.apple.com/support/manuals/powerbook/

I've recently replaced the HDD and Superdrive for £100 breathing new life into this 5yr old £2400 Mac.
post #378 of 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzaslove View Post

I was scratching my head on an upgrade paths for ANY laptop. I've had PC laptops, and they're as easy or as hard as Apple laptops (some are as easy as a MacBook, some as hard as an MBP), but I don't know of any built-in upgrade paths... especially for CPU's or GPU's. I'm sure there are some out there, but generally a laptop is what it is with some extra ram or a bigger HD as it gets older. Or at least that's what I've usually found.

I bought the MacBook when it first came out. At the time I bought the Superdrive option and the faster processor (2GHz) because that's usually the part which isn't upgradable - since the whole architecture depends on it. I've just bought a 2GB upgrade for £30. I intend on buying a larger HD for about £60 at some point. That will then last me quite happily until the life of my MacBook runs out. Then I'll sell it on eBay for as much as I can get for it (since Apple hardware keeps its value I'm guessing that'll be a good £200 or more, though I don't rely on it).

I don't understand what anyone else wants as far as upgrade paths for a laptop. I'm perfectly happy and will definitely buy another Mac laptop when the time comes. People who bought Powerbooks will definitely be looking towards the new MacBook Pros. I don't understand how anybody can say Apple does not have a market.
post #379 of 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtabbutt@mac.com View Post

My last Dell notebook even allowed processor upgrades...not so with Apple.

My brother and another relative both bought Dell laptops two years ago. Both have already literally fallen to pieces (along with their laptops, har har). So much for processor upgrades. That must be great news - it's just a shame the rest of the machine won't go the distance.

Quote:
If I want a new radio for my car, or virtually anything else but the chassis, I can upgrade. Apple doesn't have that mindset.

That's like comparing chalk with cheese. If you want a fully customisable chassis, get a Mac Pro. Apple does have that mindset.
post #380 of 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtabbutt@mac.com View Post

My last Dell notebook even allowed processor upgrades...not so with Apple.

If I want a new radio for my car, or virtually anything else but the chassis, I can upgrade. Apple doesn't have that mindset.

Then it looks Dell is the right choice for you as they make many of items to allow for interchangeable parts. While this doesn't allow for the smallest package running the fastest machine, it does allow a lot of flexibility in their large lineup. The same way the major American. European, and Japanese automakers all use some of the same basic designs (eg: Chassis, electronics, engine).

Think of Apple as more like Rolls Royce. While you can get a faster vehicle, larger vehicle, one with more electronics, et cetera from other OEMs, you can only get a hand-crafted, specialized machine from a select few.

Apple already uses top of the line processors in their machines for the space, colling power allowed. If you were to move to the Extreme processors the machine may not be able to handle the power needs and certainly couldn't cool it efficiency. Or what about those who have a 1st gen CD MBP with a 90nm Yonah who think they can simply another chip because it uses the same Core moniker, despite the pins and die sizes between completely different?

And as previously mentioned, it's not financially feasible to go to all that trouble when the new machine parts are much cheaper and have better specs all around. It's like those idiots that add features to their cars to increase the specs but don't upgrade any associated parts and then wonder why it's not making much of a difference. Have you tried adding racing strips to your crusty MBP. That may work.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #381 of 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtabbutt@mac.com View Post

An LG Higher-res display would be a different model # TV. Ford will sell you any engine that will fit your vehicle. I don't know what Merc does, but since they are in the bottom ten of CU's reliability database, I will never own one, and therefore don't care about their policies.

On the contrary a MacBook Pro is still called a MacBook Pro.

Will Dell let you send in an antiquated machine and put in new a processor and GPU for you at no charge while under warranty? If so, then they might be the company for you.

As for your Ford will sellyou an engine retort, I would expect them to since they make the engine. I wouldn't expect Apple to sell me a one off Intel processor and neither should you.

A MacBook Pro is a MacBook Pro, but that doesn't mean they are the same inside.

You're best choice is to buy a Dell or buy a new MBP and sell your old one. The later option will be cheaper then the one you propose. I almost always sell my machine before the initial warranty is up. I then have the latest machine for penny on the dollar. I could even save more if I went generation back with a refurbished MBP. Your choice, just don't cry foul on Apple for making specialized machines and not wearing extra, unprofitable hats that serve no one.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #382 of 424
So, I called MacMall, waited on hold for 45 minutes, to change from a regular screen to glossy screen (which I hope was a good decision) and they told me that the MacBook Pros won't be in their warehouse until March 7. I am using UPS Ground (for free after rebate), and since the computer will be going from California to Florida, that's a one week delivery time.


So, I have to add another two weeks of waiting time for my first Mac.


AFADFAJHFOAHRFUDHFLHFJHDS


:grumble :
post #383 of 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by switcher3365 View Post

:gru mble:

It'll be worth the wait
post #384 of 424
Hi. I'm a student in Florida...I've had Sony notebooks for a while. I love them. I'm making a jump to Mac, and I want the MacBookPro.

I need to know when the new case design is coming out, because I want to have one for at least three years...and i'm pretentious so I want the "new" one.

I've read on this forum anywhere between JULY 08 and DECEMBER 08.

Any advice? Anyone who KNOWS?

help me Obiwan Kenobee, you're my only hope.
post #385 of 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikeddemus View Post

Hi. I'm a student in Florida...I've had Sony notebooks for a while. I love them. I'm making a jump to Mac, and I want the MacBookPro.

I need to know when the new case design is coming out, because I want to have one for at least three years...and i'm pretentious so I want the "new" one.

I've read on this forum anywhere between JULY 08 and DECEMBER 08.

Any advice? Anyone who KNOWS?

help me Obiwan Kenobee, you're my only hope.

1) Welcome to AI and to Macs.
2) Obiwan was murdered a long. long time ago in a galaxy far, far way.
3) July is out of the question as that tentative date is only for Itnel's release, not Apple's. With a new case design there may be some additional delay for testing. We really don't know.
4) Intel may push it back because of issues or because they have such a large lead onAMD. They've done it before.
5) If you need a machine now, buying the latest MBP isn't a bad choice and the hardware is all tried and true at this point. There is something to be said for not jumping on a Rev. A case machine.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #386 of 424
So next year I'll get the new case design. I'll be the coolest kid on the block. I hope the macbook pro looks totally different when I get it.

Thank you for your help. I appreciate you Apple people. You're a bright bunch.

Thanks!
post #387 of 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikeddemus View Post

So next year I'll get the new case design. I'll be the coolest kid on the block.

... 6 months before the next update comes out.

Quote:
I appreciate you Apple people. You're a bright bunch.

"Apple people" arejust as smart-and dumb-as the rest of the world, but I will say that Apple forums, specifically this site and MacOSXHints.com tend to have a good deal more knowledgeable and friendly people willing to help than most sites.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #388 of 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikeddemus View Post

So next year I'll get the new case design. I'll be the coolest kid on the block. I hope the macbook pro looks totally different when I get it.

Thank you for your help. I appreciate you Apple people. You're a bright bunch.

Thanks!

Just be really careful. Apple will likely come out with a MacBook Plus with a Blu_Ray drive this June and charge you you $2,000+ for it...in terms of throw away what you have now and buy a new computer.

Does no single person on this site understand what I've been trying to say?

Apple abandons current users and offers them no upgrade path.

How many different ways do I need to say that?

Regards,

DT
post #389 of 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtabbutt@mac.com View Post

Just be really careful. Apple will likely come out with a MacBook Plus with a Blu_Ray drive this June and charge you you $2,000+ for it...in terms of throw away what you have now and buy a new computer.

Does no single person on this site understand what I've been trying to say?

Apple abandons current users and offers them no upgrade path.

How many different ways do I need to say that?

No, I don't; and you lost me at your "throw away what you have now" hyperbole.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #390 of 424
When Apple comes out with Blu-Ray, and you can't upgrade it on your $2,500 MacBook Pro, you'll understand the hyperbole (which is technically a euphemism).

DT
post #391 of 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtabbutt@mac.com View Post

Just be really careful. Apple will likely come out with a MacBook Plus with a Blu_Ray drive this June and charge you you $2,000+ for it...in terms of throw away what you have now and buy a new computer.

Does no single person on this site understand what I've been trying to say?

Apple abandons current users and offers them no upgrade path.

How many different ways do I need to say that?

Regards,

DT

And your point?

Maybe we do get what you are trying to say, and just don't care. Apple adding Blu-Ray means what? Squat. Its not a feature I care for nor will it cause me to go out and buy the latest and newest anything. As you grow up you'll realize that it the marketing weenies who are after your money that insist that you always have the latest and newest gadgets. Nobody else cares. And if something like Blu-Ray is important to you, hold off on your purchase until it does come out.

Besides, experience tells me that you can over modify and upgrade devices. The more you mess with things the worst they become. The longest lasting items are those you never touch. So I am happy with they way Apple is currently doing things. I am on a five year replacement cycle and have had no case where I was unhappy that I couldn't jump to the latest gizmo that came along.
What goes online stays online. What is online will become public.
Reply
What goes online stays online. What is online will become public.
Reply
post #392 of 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by aresee View Post

Besides, experience tells me that you can over modify and upgrade devices. The more you mess with things the worst they become. The longest lasting items are those you never touch.

Replacing drives hardly qualifies for this example in the least bit.
post #393 of 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by aresee View Post

And your point?

Maybe we do get what you are trying to say, and just don't care. Apple adding Blu-Ray means what? Squat. Its not a feature I care for nor will it cause me to go out and buy the latest and newest anything. As you grow up you'll realize that it the marketing weenies who are after your money that insist that you always have the latest and newest gadgets. Nobody else cares. And if something like Blu-Ray is important to you, hold off on your purchase until it does come out.

Besides, experience tells me that you can over modify and upgrade devices. The more you mess with things the worst they become. The longest lasting items are those you never touch. So I am happy with they way Apple is currently doing things. I am on a five year replacement cycle and have had no case where I was unhappy that I couldn't jump to the latest gizmo that came along.

My point is well made and self-evident. If you are on a five-year upgrade cycle, you are not a current Apple customer.

Regards,

DT
post #394 of 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtabbutt@mac.com View Post

When Apple comes out with Blu-Ray, and you can't upgrade it on your $2,500 MacBook Pro, you'll understand the hyperbole (which is technically a euphemism).

If Apple gets ahold of a slim, slot-loading Blu-ray drive, then 3rs-party venders will likely have it to. If the drive is thicker than the current space or uses a different connector fr more bandwidth then it won't be possible. Do you think that Apple should have planned it's original MBPs with the ability to accept a device years before they were developed? I don't even see how that would possible.

I don't expect a notebook to have the same upgrade capabilities of a desktop or tower Apple uses a very customized motherboard compared to other OEMs. This has the benefit of making their notebooks smaller and lighter and more refined, This also has the disadvantage that it can't upgraded as easily as other OEM notebooks, Though Apple already uses Intel top-end processors, save for the Extreme classifications which are much more power hungry and only offer marginal performance gains.

If you want a machine that offers more off the shelf parts and that you can do hardcore upgrades to, then perhaps Mac notebooks aren't for you. The majority of notebook owners don't ever consider doing these upgrades. They just buy a new machine with all the new parts that come with it for about the same price as buying new al a cart components to run net to slower components.

I'm still sure why Apple has to plan years ahead so you can get a Blu-ray drive in old MB or PB. It's not like they'd be able to play Blu-ray movies anyway. They'd also be slow to burn any data and deplete the battery rapidly. This seems like something that should be an external, full-size option for the few that actually would need one. Plus, those who want to spend the money on a very expensive optical drive for data probably are not going to be running antiquated hardware.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #395 of 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtabbutt@mac.com View Post

My point is well made and self-evident. If you are on a five-year upgrade cycle, you are not a current Apple customer.

Perhaps I'm being too pedantic, but if he purchases Apple Software, Apple PMPs, Apple MIDs or content via Apple then he is a current Apple Customer.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #396 of 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Replacing drives hardly qualifies for this example in the least bit.

Finally.

Thank you, Jeff.

Regards,

DT
post #397 of 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Perhaps I'm being too pedantic, but if he purchases Apple Software, Apple PMPs, Apple MIDs or content via Apple then he is a current Apple Customer.

Excuse me if I'm off-topic, but isn't this thread about the new MacBooks?

Regards,

DT
post #398 of 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Replacing drives hardly qualifies for this example in the least bit.

I beg to differ. The more you get into a device, for what ever reason, the worst it becomes. The longest lasting devices, with the least amount of trouble are those you stay out of. While I agree that just upgrading a hard drive once or twice will not normally cause you trouble, but if you are continually replacing the drive the reliability of your computer will go downhill.
What goes online stays online. What is online will become public.
Reply
What goes online stays online. What is online will become public.
Reply
post #399 of 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

If Apple gets ahold of a slim, slot-loading Blu-ray drive, then 3rs-party venders will likely have it to. If the drive is thicker than the current space or uses a different connector fr more bandwidth then it won't be possible. Do you think that Apple should have planned it's original MBPs with the ability to accept a device years before they were developed? I don't even see how that would possible.

I don't expect a notebook to have the same upgrade capabilities of a desktop or tower Apple uses a very customized motherboard compared to other OEMs. This has the benefit of making their notebooks smaller and lighter and more refined, This also has the disadvantage that it can't upgraded as easily as other OEM notebooks, Though Apple already uses Intel top-end processors, save for the Extreme classifications which are much more power hungry and only offer marginal performance gains.

If you want a machine that offers more off the shelf parts and that you can do hardcore upgrades to, then perhaps Mac notebooks aren't for you. The majority of notebook owners don't ever consider doing these upgrades. They just buy a new machine with all the new parts that come with it for about the same price as buying new al a cart components to run net to slower components.

I'm still sure why Apple has to plan years ahead so you can get a Blu-ray drive in old MB or PB. It's not like they'd be able to play Blu-ray movies anyway. They'd also be slow to burn any data and deplete the battery rapidly. This seems like something that should be an external, full-size option for the few that actually would need one. Plus, those who want to spend the money on a very expensive optical drive for data probably are not going to be running antiquated hardware.

Apple is on the Blu-Ray Board and has been since the beginning, before there were MaBook Pro's.

If you believe what you have written, you are truly misinformed.

DT
post #400 of 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by aresee View Post

I beg to differ. The more you get into a device, for what ever reason, the worst it becomes. The longest lasting devices, with the least amount of trouble are those you stay out of. While I agree that just upgrading a hard drive once or twice will not normally cause you trouble, but if you are continually replacing the drive the reliability of your computer will go downhill.

Of course I meant within reason, arguing from the point of assuming absurdity doesn't make a good argument.

I don't know anybody that is "continually replacing the drive", exactly who is expecting that? I've even kept a couple machines operational and in regular use for eight and nine years, despite having added or replaced drives on occasion, because drives do die or fill up. I certainly haven't damaged or made any computer less reliable in doing so.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple introduces Penryn-based MacBooks and MacBook Pros