or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › iTunes now the No. 2 music retailer in the US
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

iTunes now the No. 2 music retailer in the US - Page 2

post #41 of 51
FWIW, Sony BMG today reissued a few dozen catalog titles on CD. CD Universe is selling them for $5.58. The record companies manage to eke out a small profit on those, but they expect us to pay $9.99 for crummy 128Kbps digital files?
post #42 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malligator View Post

I will be the first to admit that I am a total Apple freak. I drink the kool aid daily. However, the iTMS has been replaced by Amazon MP3 as my default music store. Not because it is "better", but it is a little cheaper and the songs are DRM-free. I'm hoping Apple sees that Amazon has a competative product and improves the iTMS to match. I'd love for Apple to take the #1 spot in the near future.

I would rather pay Apple a few more cents then support the music labels efforts to unseat iTunes. I know how to remove the DRM. In truth, however, I have never had a need to do so.

Apple wanted DRM free music from the very beginning, but the labels wouldn't allow it. Jobs even publically called for DRM free music way before Amazon started offereing it. Yet, the labels will not let Apple offer it. The motivation undoubtedly is that the labels want more people to think like you to unseat Apple. The labels struck very short term deals with Amazon, and they can change the conditions rather quickly.
post #43 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malligator View Post

You know, after reading this discussion I'm switching back to iTMS. It obvious that the record companies had an "anyone but Apple" policy when they made the Amazon deal. I don't blame Amazon for taking the deal which is why I don't mind buying from them. However, I'm peeved at the labels and won't agree to their tactics buy buying from Amazon. Once iTunes gets the same DRM-free deal then I'll let Amazon and iTMS compete for my money on a level playing field.

Now you are talking. Making a stand against the labels is worth a few cents. It is in your own best interest.

In truth, I think Apple is a better company in many other ways then Amazon. For instance, dealing with Amazon customer service has been a real pain everytime I have had to use it. Apple for the most part has been more then fair. Some people will probably say I am racist for this next comment, but more times then not when I call up Apple's customer service I actually get a person in my own country who understands me. I will pay more for that as well.

I once had Apple repair a five year old iBook.
post #44 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post

Three characters: P2P.

It is easy to say that. However, people will have to admit P2P has been taking some big hits lately. It is not hard to imagine a day when it will not exist.
post #45 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBell View Post

It is easy to say that. However, people will have to admit P2P has been taking some big hits lately. It is not hard to imagine a day when it will not exist.

I'm skeptical of that. Like when the RIAA says their tactics are working when the internet traffic volume says the opposite. There are many forms of illicit distribution. Stopping them all is like trying to make cockroaches extinct.
post #46 of 51
Here's the actual story as told in Forbes, with the proper numbers, so that hopefully, it will be settled as to what was said:

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2008/...partner=alerts
post #47 of 51
I hope this low Apple stock continues for a few more months, so I can buy in. They are basically going to own the *entire* music industry when this is done, nobody else gets a piece of the pie.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
post #48 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

I hope this low Apple stock continues for a few more months, so I can buy in. They are basically going to own the *entire* music industry when this is done, nobody else gets a piece of the pie.

As a stockholder, I disagree with that sentiment.

Also, there is no guarantee that Apple's lead will hold up. We don't have figures as to sales after Amazon started selling 256K DRM free songs. It's possible that there is a good deal of inertia involving Apple's iTunes customers, as well as many not really knowing about Amazon's new sales model, which, by the way, makes it very easy to buy, and put their songs into iTunes on your computer.

In the music industry conference just held in New York, the top statement that came out is that "DRM on purchased music is dead". But, most of Apple's catalog is still 128k DRM.

Somehow, Apple will have to make a deal with these companies, or they will be behind the eight ball, make no mistake about that.

With iPod sales at a standstill, or even declining year over year for the first time, Apple may not be able to persuade people that they are the only way to go.
post #49 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I'm skeptical of that. Like when the RIAA says their tactics are working when the internet traffic volume says the opposite. There are many forms of illicit distribution. Stopping them all is like trying to make cockroaches extinct.

JeffDM, why do you understand that which is so easy prove. I guess that Comcast blocking scheme was just for traffic shaping right?
post #50 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostkiwi View Post

Perhaps I'm confused, but I thought the whole point of the thread was that iTunes is now number 2 retailer in the States in total music sales.. or are you speaking about worldwide sales?

Worldwide. At least according to the people I know in the music and DVD business, and I can't direct you to links that support this. This is just 'inside' corporate statistics.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #51 of 51
iTS now #1 with 19% in US. Walmart with 15% and Best Buy with 13%.
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...ler-in-us.html
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › iTunes now the No. 2 music retailer in the US