or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple releases iPhone Software Version 1.1.4

Apple releases iPhone Software Version 1.1.4

post #1 of 117
Apple on Tuesday released software version 1.1.4 for both the iPhone and iPod touch alongside a set of release notes comprised of only two words: "Bug fixes."

Users can download and apply the update by docking their iPhone or iPod touch, selecting it under the device list in iTunes, and then hitting the "Check for update" button.

AppleInsider readers are discussing the 162MB update in this forum thread.

post #2 of 117
Looks like just a security/stability release.

Surely an SDK would come with much bigger fanfare and probably a full point release.
macminicolo.net - Use your Mac mini as a server. Low cost, high performance.
macminicolo.net - Use your Mac mini as a server. Low cost, high performance.
post #3 of 117
hackers beware! 1.1.4 is out!!!

Nov '09 | iMac 21.5" C2D 3.06 Ghz | Intel 330 240GB SSD | ATI

Sep '12| Toshiba 14" 1366 x 768! | i5 3rd Gen 6GB| Intel x25-m 120GB SSD | Win 7|  Viewsonic VX2255wmb 22" LCD
iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

Nov '09 | iMac 21.5" C2D 3.06 Ghz | Intel 330 240GB SSD | ATI

Sep '12| Toshiba 14" 1366 x 768! | i5 3rd Gen 6GB| Intel x25-m 120GB SSD | Win 7|  Viewsonic VX2255wmb 22" LCD
iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

post #4 of 117
...pretty large patch for security update? Update went successfully with no noticeable changes.
post #5 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by appletweak View Post

...pretty large patch for security update? Update went successfully with no noticeable changes.

All updates are this size...the update is replacing your entire OS...so a size of 163mb isn't anything noteworthy since the last update was the exact same size...hence it saying it supersedes all previous versions (replaces all previous versions.)
post #6 of 117
"... bug fixes, otherwise known as breaking the jailbreaks."
2.2GHz C2D 15" LED MacBook Pro, 2GB RAM, Upgraded to 7200 RPM HD[center]"I wouldn't buy an Apple computer. It's too fruity." "Apparently fruity must be the new crazy good."[/center]
2.2GHz C2D 15" LED MacBook Pro, 2GB RAM, Upgraded to 7200 RPM HD[center]"I wouldn't buy an Apple computer. It's too fruity." "Apparently fruity must be the new crazy good."[/center]
post #7 of 117
Quote:
alongside a set of release notes comprised of only two words: "Bug fixes."

Thank god for that, The bugs introduced in 1.1.3 were really starting to annoy me badly.
post #8 of 117
prep for SDK release?
post #9 of 117
Maybe it has to do with Starbucks doing it's training tonight when they're all closing at 5:30?
post #10 of 117
mmm... clicking "next" didn't do anything

Roll on the SDK, please!
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
post #11 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by onceuponamac View Post

Maybe it has to do with Starbucks doing it's training tonight when they're all closing at 5:30?

I think if they were closing to kick of some kewl new iPod feature that involved a software update they would have had us all ready to use it bright and early tomorrow morning by telling us today.
15.4" 2.33 GHz MacBook Pro
16GB iPhone
80 Gig Black Ipod
15.4" 2.33 GHz MacBook Pro
16GB iPhone
80 Gig Black Ipod
post #12 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by userblah View Post

All updates are this size...the update is replacing your entire OS...so a size of 163mb isn't anything noteworthy since the last update was the exact same size...hence it saying it supersedes all previous versions (replaces all previous versions.)

I second that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onceuponamac View Post

Any news on what device they are using for the cached songs. Seems to me a Time Capsule would be a perfect choice for this.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #13 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by MusLtngBlue View Post

ZiPhone works with the new upgrade.
post #14 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedalmatian View Post

Thank god for that, The bugs introduced in 1.1.3 were really starting to annoy me badly.

I've never had any problems with my iPhone until 1.1.3. Now I see a lot of performance issues. Hope this addresses them.
post #15 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by MusLtngBlue View Post

How would this break Jailbreaks? People who are already jailbroken wouldn't have a desire to upgrade if there aren't any new features. You have to consciously choose to download and install the update; it's not done over the cell towers.
post #16 of 117
Given the timing of the release, my bet is on this release containing the infrastructure to support SDK-based apps.

Time will tell...

--DotComCTO
post #17 of 117
Yeah this shows the dumbing-down of our society doesn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

How would this break Jailbreaks? People who are already jailbroken wouldn't have a desire to upgrade if there aren't any new features. You have to consciously choose to download and install the update; it's not done over the cell towers.
post #18 of 117
Like it or not, Apple continues updates/upgrades to iPhone software because the $$ it receives from the subscriber revenue - and not hardware sales - allows (motivates??) Apple to continue improving its product.

So if their updates causes the freeloaders, hackers, slackers, and whiners more headaches and complaints as to why they can't partake in a support feature for free - and without problems - as opposed to only those that actually pay for the privilege... it sucks to be you.

I dont' think the SDK bandwagon will make it any easier in certain aspects. If Apple opens it up more to development similar to how it was with Palm back when, more power to them and I would be first to sign up as I see nothing but a positive impact by that move.

But the same mantra will still apply. Don't bitch about wanting something for free that everyone else has to pay for. Apple doesn't continue the R&D for the iPhone simply because it's cool. They are no different than any other company that needs to make money.

I've been an Cingular->AT&T customer for 10+ years. Are they perfect?? Far from it. All the other providers are not perfect either. But I've been relatively happy with them. Is it right that AT&T is the exclusive provider? History will be the judge of that. Do I bitch about not having a Lamborghini as an everyday car? No. So if the iPhone is not available for whatever reason in your town/state/country/planet/whatever, that is just life. If you can hack it up enough to get it to work, kudos to you. But don't expect an easy ride from Apple. You own the hardware, but not the OS software. Get over it.

Let the flamebaiting begin (again).
post #19 of 117
I wouldn't be surprised if the application key has changed.
post #20 of 117
still can't forward sms messages
post #21 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by djpadz View Post

I wouldn't be surprised if the application key has changed.

Good point! That is something that should be looked into.
post #22 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Thank you, thank you, thank you,thank you,thank you,thank you,thank you,thank you,thank you,thank you,thank you,thank you,thank you,thank you,thank you,thank you,thank you,thank you,thank you,thank you,thank you,thank you,thank you,thank you,thank you,thank you,thank you,thank you,thank you.
post #23 of 117
I think it's good that updates break jailbreaks, It means Apple can't be blamed for any iPhone vulnerbilities that show up due to unnoficial third party hacks and software.
iMac 24" 2.4ghz, 1GB Ram, 250GB, OSX 10.5
iMac 24" 2.4ghz, 1GB Ram, 250GB, OSX 10.5
post #24 of 117
what does this mean for the ipod touch?
post #25 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmMacUser View Post

I think it's good that updates break jailbreaks, It means Apple can't be blamed for any iPhone vulnerbilities that show up due to unnoficial third party hacks and software.

Name one instance where someone blamed Apple for a third party application exposing an iPhone vulnerability. Just one.
post #26 of 117
Just noticed that skipping to a specific part of a song or video is now very smooth. Before especially in videos there was a long pause and then the playback resumed. Now the pause is extremely short.
post #27 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post

Name one instance where someone blamed Apple for a third party application exposing an iPhone vulnerability. Just one.

Isn't AppSnapp, a 3rd party program, credited with finding and exploiting the TIFF vulnerability in the iPhone software?

BTW, I'm only kidding.
post #28 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post

Jailbreaking software that ended up bricking the iPhone! People went to Apple Stores to try and get their bricked iPhones fixed, some insisted on getting their entire phone replaced by Apple because it failed to operate.
post #29 of 117
can someone tell me what the new icon at the top right of the screen is? it looks like a phone handset over a keyboard. but i don't recall ever seeing that before this update.
post #30 of 117
Hasn't anyone noticed??

The problem of out-of-order text messages has been fixed!!

post #31 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmon750 View Post

Like it or not, Apple continues updates/upgrades to iPhone software because the $$ it receives from the subscriber revenue - and not hardware sales - allows (motivates??) Apple to continue improving its product.

So if their updates causes the freeloaders, hackers, slackers, and whiners more headaches and complaints as to why they can't partake in a support feature for free - and without problems - as opposed to only those that actually pay for the privilege... it sucks to be you.

I dont' think the SDK bandwagon will make it any easier in certain aspects. If Apple opens it up more to development similar to how it was with Palm back when, more power to them and I would be first to sign up as I see nothing but a positive impact by that move.

But the same mantra will still apply. Don't bitch about wanting something for free that everyone else has to pay for. Apple doesn't continue the R&D for the iPhone simply because it's cool. They are no different than any other company that needs to make money.

I've been an Cingular->AT&T customer for 10+ years. Are they perfect?? Far from it. All the other providers are not perfect either. But I've been relatively happy with them. Is it right that AT&T is the exclusive provider? History will be the judge of that. Do I bitch about not having a Lamborghini as an everyday car? No. So if the iPhone is not available for whatever reason in your town/state/country/planet/whatever, that is just life. If you can hack it up enough to get it to work, kudos to you. But don't expect an easy ride from Apple. You own the hardware, but not the OS software. Get over it.

Let the flamebaiting begin (again).

zzzzzzzzzzzzz
post #32 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by suhail View Post

Jailbreaking software that ended up bricking the iPhone! People went to Apple Stores to try and get their bricked iPhones fixed, some insisted on getting their entire phone replaced by Apple because it failed to operate.

Uhhhh..... There has not been any SOFTWARE that I know if that iBricks the iPhone. Generally people brick their phones. Sounds like you believe the party line. Oh and third party apps can crash a cell network right?
post #33 of 117
Nice. I gots 1.1.2 on my iPhone so I'd love to have some of the new little tweaks, but I'll wait until I hear the word that 1.1.4 won't brick it before I send it to update-land.

Jimzip
"There's no time like the present, and the only present you'll never get, is time." - Me
"There's no time like the present, and the only present you'll never get, is time." - Me
post #34 of 117
After the update, the iPhone will only place emergency calls until it connects with the iTunes servers.
post #35 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignimbrite View Post

After the update, the iPhone will only place emergency calls until it connects with the iTunes servers.

Is yours unlocked or jailbroken, or on an At&T contract?
post #36 of 117
I just noticed now that on my iPod Touch, when I switch between tabs in Safari, my content now stays, it does not go to a white screen and then reload anymore. I like that alot, saves a lot of time waiting for stuff to load . . .

-iGrant
MacBook: 2.0 Ghz 2048 ram, 80gig HDD, OS 10.5 . . . wow
post #37 of 117
Should have read "Bug Fixes and Bricking"
post #38 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by netdog View Post

Should have read "Bug Fixes and Bricking"

Any proof that phones are bricked because of this upgrade?
post #39 of 117
Hello
I have an iPod touch and the video does look a little faster to load
post #40 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

Hello !
I have an iPod touch and for me the video looks a little bit faster.
I also think the scrolling is now a little bit faster and takes longer to stop...but maybe im wrong lol

Strange, I have not noticed that, what size of the iPod Touch do you have?

-iGrant
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple releases iPhone Software Version 1.1.4