or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › 3G iPhone to launch mid-year with Infineon chip - report
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

3G iPhone to launch mid-year with Infineon chip - report

post #1 of 99
Thread Starter 
Current iPhone baseband supplier Infineon will provide Apple with a new chip solution for its next-generation iPhone, which is expected to launch by mid-year, investment bank UBS said Thursday.

In a research note to clients, global equity research analyst Nicolas Gaudois said his checks indicate that the German chipmaker will provide a "new systems solution" for the new iPhone HSDPA platform, which will include a digital baseband controller, power management unit (PMU), and radio frequency (RF) module.

"We believe this is one of the HSDPA solutions design wins management referred to as being due to ramp in [the second quarter of 2008]," he wrote. "Consistent with these checks, our Apple analyst Ben Reitzes believes that 3G iPhones will be released by mid-year."

Gaudois added that in anticipation of the move towards HSDPA (High-Speed Downlink Packet Access) -- the most common 3G service for GSM-based wireless networks -- Infineon is ramping down production of the EDGE baseband solution used in the current generation of the iPhone in order to "clean" inventories ahead of the 3G model.

The analyst's mid-year time frame coincides with earlier claims from CNBC reporter Jim Goldman, as well as the general consensus throughout the industry.

It should be noted, however, that Goldman's report on the MacBook Air from the same day fell well short of its mark.
post #2 of 99
Certainly good news!
post #3 of 99
Crap, I just got an iPhone a few weeks ago.

Oh well, no 3G coverage where I live anyway. And EDGE has been acceptably fast for me, so it's no big deal.

But great that they're getting up-to-date for those who do live in 3G areas.
post #4 of 99
this should be great for sales - all of the first gen owners will buy the new phone... Hopefully Apple will add the ability to search contacts textually for making phone calls and exchange support (other than imap)... that will make the device a compelling option for business.
post #5 of 99
Hopefully they'll have voice recording for taking notes on the go, and voice activated dialing for calling from behind the wheel.
Almost forgot... recording video.
post #6 of 99
That is great news. I have been enjoying my iPhone since last July and contemplated the 16GB upgrade a few weeks ago only to hold off for a 3G version. I plan on being one of the first ones in line. BTW Apple if you need a tester or two, my wife and I would love to help you out and live and work near Cupertino.
post #7 of 99
Oh ye! Finally I can replace this UI challenged Noika with something decent. Bought the iPod touch a few month - awesome technology. Can't wait ... :-)
post #8 of 99
I just hope they do something about the sound quality and reception. Mine cuts out on my far too often.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #9 of 99
When I buy the 3G phone, I'm pretty convinced I'll be able to get my money out of my current iPhone - in fact, I've seen 4GB models going for $200 to $400. No matter what happens, it's going to take time for Apple to get world-wide proliferation. Upgrading won't be near the loser it would be for a typical cell phone. That's the ultimate in recycling!
post #10 of 99
Man, people will dump EDGE phones on Ebay and Craigslist. That would be great to use as a Touch/WiFi for some - with a camera. I'll finally get an iPhone when they're 3G, but will still hesitate first because it's ATT. \
2011 13" 2.3 MBP, 2006 15" 2.16 MBP, iPhone 4, iPod Shuffle, AEBS, AppleTV2 with XBMC.
Reply
2011 13" 2.3 MBP, 2006 15" 2.16 MBP, iPhone 4, iPod Shuffle, AEBS, AppleTV2 with XBMC.
Reply
post #11 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I just hope they do something about the sound quality and reception. Mine cuts out on my far too often.

What?? You're breaking up.
2011 13" 2.3 MBP, 2006 15" 2.16 MBP, iPhone 4, iPod Shuffle, AEBS, AppleTV2 with XBMC.
Reply
2011 13" 2.3 MBP, 2006 15" 2.16 MBP, iPhone 4, iPod Shuffle, AEBS, AppleTV2 with XBMC.
Reply
post #12 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

Man, people will dump EDGE phones on Ebay and Craigslist. That would be great to use as a Touch/WiFi for some - with a camera. I'll finally get an iPhone when they're 3G, but will still hesitate first because it's ATT. \

If around 35% are unlocked then I would image that evern more will be sold as such once 3G version is out, assuming Apple doesn't alter the selling method and doesn't make it too hard for the hackers.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #13 of 99
That's good if it's true. 3G support, even if I don't use it much, is the second to last remaining reason I'm waiting, the last being my carrier contract. Now I have to figure out how to find someone in my area with an iPhone to see if the reception is good.
post #14 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"We believe this is one of the HSDPA solutions design wins management referred to as being due to ramp in [the second quarter of 2008]," he wrote. "Consistent with these checks, our Apple analyst Ben Reitzes believes that 3G iPhones will be released by mid-year."


Awesome if true! If Apple can get a 3G iPhone out by June (which has been my educated guess for some time), it should help Apple's calendar Q2 results and stock price significantly. About 7 months overdue (would've been really good to have had one for the Euro launch), but still awesome. Who sees a 3G launch on the First Anniversary of the iPhone?

*does a happy dance*







Let's hope they fix the 'no voice dialing' thing too... out here in California, by law you won't be able to drive with a cellphone pressed to your head anymore, as of July.


.
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
post #15 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

Awesome if true! If Apple can get a 3G iPhone out by June (which has been my educated guess for some time), it should help Apple's calendar Q2 results and stock price significantly. A bit overdue, but still awesome.

*does a happy dance*

It doesn't seem far fetched. Though i would like to see know the power usage results as compared tot eh EDGE version. If it uses more power than the current chip will Apple thicken up the iPhone slightly to accommodate for a larger battery for a comparable data usage time or keep it the same size and make it the 1st gen. 3G iPhones suffer from lowered usage times until the technology catches up?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #16 of 99
Quote:
Let's hope they fix the 'no voice dialing' thing too... out here in California, by law you won't be able to drive with a cellphone pressed to your head anymore, as of July. BT headsets work, but its nice to have options.

In New Jersey it's March 1st.
post #17 of 99
Somehow, this story implies that when adding 3G to the iPhone, it won't have EDGE. That is NOT TRUE, correct? Just wondering if adding 3G circuitry would mean removing EDGE circuitry, for the sake of the space needed. Thanks
post #18 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffyzDead View Post

Somehow, this story implies that when adding 3G to the iPhone, it won't have EDGE. That is NOT TRUE, correct? Just wondering if adding 3G circuitry would mean removing EDGE circuitry, for the sake of the space needed. Thanks

A HSPDA chip will be backward compatible with EDGE. They don't imply that but I think AI should clarify that in their articles to avoid this potential confusion.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #19 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffyzDead View Post

Somehow, this story implies that when adding 3G to the iPhone, it won't have EDGE. That is NOT TRUE, correct? Just wondering if adding 3G circuitry would mean removing EDGE circuitry, for the sake of the space needed. Thanks

good question. anyone have an educated guess?
post #20 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It doesn't seem far fetched. Though i would like to see know the power usage results as compared to the EDGE version. If it uses more power than the current chip will Apple thicken up the iPhone slightly to accommodate for a larger battery for a comparable data usage time or keep it the same size and make it the 1st gen. 3G iPhones suffer from lowered usage times until the technology catches up?


The newer 3G chipsets have gotten more power-efficient, though. Look at the Samsung Blackjack series (it's a 3G smartphone)... talk time increased from 3 hours on the Blackjack I to 7 hours on the Blackjack II. Some of that was due to a 40% higher capacity battery, but still, with talk time more than doubling, power management/consumption got quite a bit better as well.

I'd expect a 3G iPhone's talk time to take a hit, but not a big one... I don't think Steve-o would allow it. And I wouldn't cry at all if the iPhone got a millimeter or two thicker to accomodate a higher-cap battery. If someone cries that a phone being .50" thick instead of .46" thick ruins their user experience, I will point and laugh at them, because that is just dumber than a sack of hammers.

My main concern is, do they also address the other major missing features, such as MMS and voice-dialing? That would be very cool.

.
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
post #21 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffyzDead View Post

Somehow, this story implies that when adding 3G to the iPhone, it won't have EDGE. That is NOT TRUE, correct? Just wondering if adding 3G circuitry would mean removing EDGE circuitry, for the sake of the space needed. Thanks

The 3G/HSDPA chipsets are also compatible with EDGE. If there's a 3G network where you are, it'll use it, but if EDGE is the fastest network where you are, it'll go with that. Yay!

A very GOOD thing too, 'cuz ATT's 3G coverage is STILL not all that great. But it's getting better.

Oh, and the story isn't really implying a lack of compatibility with EDGE, but rather a ramping down of production of the EDGE-only chipsets. Guess that means that there'll be no more EDGE-only iPhones ('cept used/eBay) once the 3G iPhone starts shipping, or at best very limited production of a 'bottom feeder' EDGE-only iPhone that probably 90% of ppl will bypass.

.
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
post #22 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

The newer 3G chipsets have gotten more power-efficient, though. Look at the Samsung Blackjack series (it's a 3G smartphone)... talk time increased from 3 hours on the Blackjack I to 7 hours on the Blackjack II. Some of that was due to a 40% higher capacity battery, but still, with talk time more than doubling, power management/consumption got quite a bit better as well.

I'd expect a 3G iPhone's talk time to take a hit, but not a big one... I don't think Steve-o would allow it. And I wouldn't cry at all if the iPhone got a millimeter or two thicker to accomodate a higher-cap battery. If someone cries that a phone being .50" thick instead of .46" thick ruins their user experience, I will point and laugh at them, because that is just dumber than a sack of hammers.

My main concern is, do they also address the other major missing features, such as MMS and voice-dialing? That would be very cool.

1) These software issues should have address by now. I also include a voice recorder to that list of necessary iPhone apps.

2) I really want to know how much more power efficient they are and how they relate to the current EDGE chip but I'm sure we won't know until the iPhone comes to market.

3) As for size, I wish it would by a 1" thick iPhone if it meant charging once every few weeks. Think is great, but battery life is much important to me.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #23 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

The 3G/HSDPA chipsets are also compatible with EDGE. If there's a 3G network where you are, it'll use it, but if EDGE is the fastest network where you are, it'll go with that. Yay!

A very GOOD thing too, 'cuz ATT's 3G coverage is STILL not all that great. But it's getting better.

Oh, and the story isn't really implying a lack of compatibility with EDGE, but rather a ramping down of production of the EDGE-only chipsets. Guess that means that there'll be no more EDGE-only iPhones ('cept used/eBay) once the 3G iPhone starts shipping.

My iPhone is already accounted for once a 3G version appears. There are plenty of people that aren't heavy data users that want an iPhone buy don't want the high initial cost. And seeing as online testing and my personal tests have shown that the iPhone web browsing is about as fast as rendering pages it's not a bad choice for many, more casual users.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #24 of 99
If true, then the advent of a 3G iPhone is indeed great news.

I already own an 8Gb iPhone and I have to say I am absolutely delighted with it. It worked beautifully straight out of the box. I have had no problems with it at all. The pleasure I get from receiving emails on the go, watching You Tube videos, listening to songs via the on-board iPod, playing with the other stuff AND simply having a phone that WORKS FLAWLESSLY and SYNCS so RELIABLY with Microsoft Vista and Outlook has not diminshed with time.

Like so many other iPhone users, I am an Apple convert. I thought a lack of 3G would be a big deal. WiFi connectivity has made all the difference. But the most important thing is the user experience. need I say more.

In other words, the chances of me upgrading to a 3G iPhone are around 100%. The moral of this story has to be, when you make a good product and replace, if they're going to upgrade at all, they will nearly always upgrade to your next product. But when you make a bad product, they'll switch to something else as soon as they can.

Apple hit the ball out of the park with the first generation iPhone. God help the competition when the 3G model arrives. Not only will it be faster, but Apple will have improved the software and other important elements. RIM will be reamed! Nokia will be knakered!

And so the Apple Juggernaut continues like a twister out of nowhere wreaking havoc on other mobile phone makes. Go Apple! Go!
post #25 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

My iPhone is already accounted for once a 3G version appears. There are plenty of people that aren't heavy data users that want an iPhone buy don't want the high initial cost. And seeing as online testing and my personal tests have shown that the iPhone web browsing is about as fast as rendering pages it's not a bad choice for many, more casual users.


Guess you missed my edit:

Quote:
Guess that means that there'll be no more EDGE-only iPhones ('cept used/eBay) once the 3G iPhone starts shipping, or at best very limited production of a 'bottom feeder' EDGE-only iPhone that probably 90% of ppl will bypass.


An EDGE-only iPhone for say $299 once the 3G iPhone comes out wouldn't be bad (though how do you price it versus the iPod Touch, hmm? Seems like there'd have to be a Touch price drop too... probably a good thing considering the imminent US recession and slowing iPod sales).

I wouldn't expect an EDGE-only iPhone to sell great once the 3G model arrives, though. Remember how crappy the 4GB iPhone sold vs the 8GB? Ppl tend to not go for less capability, even when there are reasonable arguments as to why they should.

.
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
post #26 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) These software issues should have [been] addressed by now. I also include a voice recorder to that list of necessary iPhone apps.

I quite agree. It's sort of amazing to me that Apple still hasn't addressed those issues.


Quote:
2) I really want to know how much more power efficient they are and how they relate to the current EDGE chip but I'm sure we won't know until the iPhone comes to market.

What you really want to know is, what's the batt life going to be on a 3G iPhone? And it's hard to say, because no one knows what wacky Steve 'Aesthetics Uber Alles' Jobs is going to do... what is he going to prize more, battery life, or making the thing one or two millimeters thinner? We don't know yet, though I have the sinking feeling that Steve is going to crow about how his new 3G iPhone is a whopping couple of hundredths of inch thinner than the competition, which would be a bad sign on the batt life front. \


Quote:
3) As for size, I wish it would by a 1" thick iPhone if it meant charging once every few weeks. Think is great, but battery life is much important to me.

I personally would not want a 1" thick iPhone, many ppl would see something like that as an undesirable brick, even though battery life would be through the roof (and aren't there extended batteries in the aftermarket anyway?).

But, as far as whether a 3G iPhone comes in at 0.46" or 0.50" or 0.55", I don't give a rat's ass. Anything close to a half-inch thick is quite slim. Look at the Blackjack II... it's only beefed up by .05" in thickness compared to the 'Jack I (0.51" vs 0.46"), yet that slight increase in thickness helped yield some room for a 40% higher capacity battery (1700 mAh vs the 'Jack I's 1200 mAh).

You certainly don't have to have a huge brick iPhone to get a good-sized/high-capacity battery in there. Samsung's done it, Apple certainly can too.

.
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
post #27 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

Guess you missed my edit

I did not.

Quote:
An EDGE-only iPhone for say $299 once the 3G iPhone comes out wouldn't be bad (though how do you price it versus the iPod Touch, hmm?). I wouldn't expect it to sell great, though. Remember how crappy the 4GB iPhone sold vs the 8GB? Ppl tend to not go for less capability, even when there are reasonable arguments as to why they should.

That is something to ponder. I imagine they would make the EDGE version a Refurbished option only and at the same price of the iPod Touch or no more than $50 more. The majority of people who will by the EDGE version will probably use it on the approved networks that Apple is also getting kickbacks.

The 8GB and 16GB 3G versions would be the same price for the first couple months and then a lowered price by no more than $50100 may occur, but only if Apple sees the long term benefit of adding users over weakening the exclusivity of the device. I think the device with HSDPA will be strong enough to sell double the units worldwide it's been selling as an EDGE device. That would be 8M units in the last 6 months of the year.

I also dont' think that 32GB capacity will be available for the iPhone until 2009 at which time the 8Gb model will only be available as a 3G Refurbished model, possibly pushing out the 2G Refurbished model.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #28 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

3) As for size, I wish it would by a 1" thick iPhone if it meant charging once every few weeks. Think is great, but battery life is much important to me.

Is that even a realistic expectation? You might get a full week with something that size, a few weeks? No.
post #29 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I think the device with HSDPA will be strong enough to sell double the units worldwide it's been selling as an EDGE device. That would be 8M units in the last 6 months of the year.

I'm sure that 3G will improve iPhone sales quite significantly (especially in Europe), but "double" may be a tad optimistic.


Quote:
I also dont' think that 32GB capacity will be available for the iPhone until 2009 at which time the 8Gb model will only be available as a 3G Refurbished model, possibly pushing out the 2G Refurbished model.

That'd be too bad. There's something about a 3G 32GB iPhone that sounds ever so glorious for Holiday season '08.

Aren't flash mem prices falling? Hmm...

.
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
post #30 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by onceuponamac View Post

this should be great for sales - all of the first gen owners will buy the new phone...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

Oh, and the story isn't really implying a lack of compatibility with EDGE, but rather a ramping down of production of the EDGE-only chipsets. Guess that means that there'll be no more EDGE-only iPhones ('cept used/eBay) once the 3G iPhone starts shipping, or at best very limited production of a 'bottom feeder' EDGE-only iPhone that probably 90% of ppl will bypass.

.

So, I will NOT be upgrading to a 3G version just because its 3G. Here in KS, outside of the KC metro, there is no 3G. So, with the 3G phone, I'll still just get EDGE speeds. And to be honest, when I can't get WiFi, the EDGE has been good enough for things like Google Reader or most blogs.

I think if the EDGE phone was discounted $100 on the 3G model and they continued to sell it, I think it would do very well in KS (and much of the midwest). For us, it's a much better value without any loss in capability that we can use.
post #31 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Is that even a realistic expectation? You might get a full week with something that size, a few weeks? No.

Wouldn't that be a solid 10x the current battery capacity. Seems to be by looking at the pictures. If I can easily get 2 days of frequent usage out or it now then 20 days would be about 3 weeks. My assumption on the capacity could be off. Still, I would take a 1" iPhone if it was all battery. It is that important to me.


Quote:
Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

I'm sure that 3G will improve iPhone sales quite significantly (especially in Europe), but "double" may be a tad optimistic.

I don't think so. 3G seems to the magic word. There are smething like 400k iPhones in China and they are mostly 3G, right? And all I ever hear is "if only there were a 3G version." Even in the US the perceived notion that having 3G iPhone will get you 3G service seems to be important to many. I don't think it's farfetched at all.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #32 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by mh71 View Post

So, I will NOT be upgrading to a 3G version just because its 3G. Here in KS, outside of the KC metro, there is no 3G. So, with the 3G phone, I'll still just get EDGE speeds. And to be honest, when I can't get WiFi, the EDGE has been good enough for things like Google Reader or most blogs.

I think if the EDGE phone was discounted $100 on the 3G model and they continued to sell it, I think it would do very well in KS (and much of the midwest). For us, it's a much better value without any loss in capability that we can use.


I agree, if you don't have 3G coverage where you work and/or live, and just want the cheapest possible iPhone, wait for the 3G iPhone to come out and then grab an EDGE-only model... there should be some good deals out there.

Just bear in mind that, unless you're really out in the boondocks, someday you'll have 3G coverage. Of course, considering it's ATT, that 'someday' may be a-ways away.

.
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
post #33 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I don't think so. 3G seems to the magic word. There are smething like 400k iPhones in China and they are mostly 3G, right? And all I ever hear is "if only there were a 3G version." Even in the US the perceived notion that having 3G iPhone will get you 3G service seems to be important to many. I don't think it's farfetched at all.


Short-term, yes, 3G means 'BEEG' sales boom. Like huge.

Medium- and long-term, after the big sales boom, 3G iPhone sales return to a baseline that is above what the 2.5G model had, but probably not 'double'... at least not in the US.

In Europe, double sales for a 3G model long-term is within the realm of possibility at least (though its a higher number than I'd pick) but I hesitate based on the fact that we still have no assurances about Apple fixing the other things the Euros have complained about, such as no MMS. \


.
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
post #34 of 99
Here is a iPhone w/EDGE vs. Nokia E61i w/UMTS. While this shows that data rates isn't the one factor to consider, it does show that bleating is mostly empty. Processor, RAM, OS, Browser and latency are all factors to consider. I also speculate that putting the phones so close together may have a negative affect on the Nokia since, I assume, UMTS is more sensitive to interference.
http://www.applephoneinfo.de/2007/11...egen-umts.html
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #35 of 99
I just got my iPhone a few days ago. Well happy with it. Good for apple for getting to 3G though. I think I'll wait though unless I have another influx of money
how would you describe me?
Reply
how would you describe me?
Reply
post #36 of 99
Quote:
Just bear in mind that, unless you're really out in the boondocks, someday you'll have 3G coverage. Of course, considering it's ATT, that 'someday' may be a-ways away.

Yaaah....

I'll start holding my breath now.
post #37 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

In Europe, double sales for a 3G model long-term is within the realm of possibility at least (though its a higher number than I'd pick) but I hesitate based on the fact that we still have no assurances about Apple fixing the other things the Euros have complained about, such as no MMS.

If they don't fix it by the time a 3G version comes out I'll be shocked. This isn't the usual BS request we tend to here on these forums. It's a software option that Apple could easy implement. Photos are already downgraded for sending to email so resizing to fit MMS standards would not be hard.

I have been getting emails for MMS pics now that people know I can't receive them directly on my iPhone. The MMS messages I do get on my iPhone are repackaged by AT&T as SMS messages with a web address and computer generated username and password.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #38 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Here is a iPhone w/EDGE vs. Nokia E61i w/UMTS. While this shows that data rates isn't the one factor to consider, it does show that bleating is mostly empty. Processor, RAM, OS, Browser and latency are all factors to consider. I also speculate that putting the phones so close together may have a negative affect on the Nokia since, I assume, UMTS is more sensitive to interference.

http://www.applephoneinfo.de/2007/11...egen-umts.html

Yah, the iPhone's better browser and faster cpu are a help in rendering web pages more quickly, but what ppl always forget when bringing that up is that an iPhone with 3G will positively fly on the 'net. Nice connection + Safari + beefy cpu= Wow.

Oh yeah, baby.

.
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
post #39 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

Yah, the iPhone's better browser and faster cpu are a help in browsing speeds, but what ppl always forget when bringing that up is that an iPhone with 3G will positively fly on the 'net.

Oh yeah, baby.

If I were Jobs, I would showcase this featurewith Google, FaceBook and other iPhone freindly siteswhen I announce its impending release.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #40 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

If I were Jobs, I would showcase this feature—with Google, FaceBook and other iPhone freindly sites—when I announce its impending release.


Yah, I think you could have some pretty nice Steve-lead demos like that with at the 3G iPhone Special Event.

Would make for some awesome commercials too... head-to-head matchups with other 3G smartphones would be embarrassing for the iPhone's competitors.... have both phones on screen simultaneously, two users type in the same URL, and watch the 3G iPhone just positively STOMP the competitor, since the equally fast connection now lets Safari and the iPhone cpu show what they can really do.

It would be quite a b*tchslap.


.
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › 3G iPhone to launch mid-year with Infineon chip - report